Internationals RLWC 2017 Thread

Could've gone either way.
That ankle tap
It would of been interesting if they managed to get over there or somehow managed to get over the line. For the last 20 minutes or so it seemed like next scorer wins; Australia score and its out of reach, England and they could have come home strong.

I was half expecting England to score but due to how hard scoring was they'd get one in the corner and miss the kick. So all of that hard work and the guys from the luck country manage to stay in front anyway.

England didn't really through all caution to the wind until the last set. Should have done a bit more earlier. Obviously fatigue plays a part but there was one set in the 76th minute where the commentators said they may get another set. They just did a yardage set; would have expected them to at least try something when they were on most likely their second to last set unless they got a 40/20, mistake or penalty.

Left centre is where we're weak, even the England players didn't have the confidence to attack that side. Bateman is a trier, but hasn't the skill to put his winger into space.

I thought all four of our props were immense all tournament
Was going to say exactly the same thing. I thought that edge would get schooled by Gagai and Chambers but they were good on defence at least and hit the ball up well but had no xfactor on attack. Surely there must be a better centre somewhere in ESL than Bateman? Like I said before the game, Hall looks much bigger and slower. The forwards aimed up, Hills late footwork at the line had the first defender beat multiple times. Watkins reminds me of Inu except with more determination and composure in big games.

Reactions: Defence
Smith Slater and Cronk are goneski from internationals, so, thats fun.

Don't know if all these players have retired from International Football... and let's not forget they are defeatable with the Kiwis being on top of these guys in the past.

Looking at these two teams talent-wise the Kangaroos look superior, so I'd say Wayne Bennett's smart coaching came up with a game plan to combat and come close to beating them.

As for Wellington I agree, it is a terrible place to take games, it is a dying city.
Nah we just have better things to spend money on than supporting losers...

Don’t forget this this off the back of David Kidwell dragging this Kiwis team to new all time low levels drawing against Scotland, being flogged by the Aussies, having half the team decide they prefer to play for Tonga and then a loss against Tonga the week before... blind Freddy could tell they would struggle!!

Also the Warriors on a 9 game losing streak. Hardly anything for league fans to be excited about really.

Honestly what other sport in the world would have a home ref in the grand final? It just opens itself up to questions

I Laughed at the play with Australia running behind his player resulting in the no try to Morgan.
Any day of the week that would be called a penalty in the NRL

But the Aussie ref STILL calls it a try pending the bunker decision.
The "Pommie" in the bunker as expected calls no try!

I'm like man this game could be real close if tries keep getting referred to the bunker lol

Last edited:

Stalefish540

Contributor
Left centre is where we're weak, even the England players didn't have the confidence to attack that side. Bateman is a trier, but hasn't the skill to put his winger into space.

I thought all four of our props were immense all tournament
I personally thought they should have gone with Percival, Bateman is more of a edge backrower. Solid D, but no threat on attack.

Don't know if all these players have retired from International Football... and let's not forget they are defeatable with the Kiwis being on top of these guys in the past.

Looking at these two teams talent-wise the Kangaroos look superior, so I'd say Wayne Bennett's smart coaching came up with a game plan to combat and come close to beating them.

Still hedging bets Smith will retire from international sooner rather than later. Whoever the replacements are, the new dynamics it will create will be briefly interesting.

Reactions: Raw Power

bruce

Contributor
What you smoking there Bruce?
Queensland alone could beat Australia. Right now the Kiwis wouldn't come within 20 points of them.

p.s spot me a fifty bro? Must be good some good ish. ;)
The only real guide we have to this question is the Super League SOO were NZ were included. The Kiwis would have made the final except for a blatant bad call from a touchie. SOO is not all it is cracked up to be, just cash cow for the ARL.

The only real guide we have to this question is the Super League SOO were NZ were included. The Kiwis would have made the final except for a blatant bad call from a touchie. SOO is not all it is cracked up to be, just cash cow for the ARL.
I know we like to give it to the Aussies but a couple of things to consider. In Super League days Warriors/ Kiwis we are a far better team than these jokers today. The standard of origin has actually got a lot better. The QLD origin team would lap the Kiwis. There players playing in different clubs throughout the year regularly give to us. You might counter that once the boys slip on the black and white they really lift. Maybe in the past but based
on the shit they've served up in the last 2 years those days are gone