Internationals RLWC 2017 Thread

drunk_monk

Contributor
Are many of you interested or going to next years RLWC? How do you think the NZ public react?
What do you think the crowds will be?

It will be interesting, and I'd say will be largely affected by the advertising.
If they play it up as the once in a lifetime blah blah then they should sell pretty heavily if not sell out most NZ games.

Anyone's guess though, league in NZ can be a bit up and down.

Just wondering why the world cup isn't being promoted better in NZ. This is a massive year for rugby league in our country. Arguably the biggest ever.
Have noticed a lot of the games in aussie they have the RLWC website painted in the ingoal areas on the fields. Yet nothing like this at Mt Smart at the Warriors games. A lot of warriors members ive talked to at the 2 home games so far aren't even thinking world cup yet, which is a travesty. Just wondering if anyone knows if there will be promotional stuff happening soon, as the season goes on at mount smart. Or even the warriors game in Dunedin this week. I know the mad butcher is pushing hard to get the excitement up..
NZ league really can't drop the ball on this one.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
There was a big push last season. My guess is it must be sold out. I already have tickets to four games and so do a few of my mates...

There was a big push last season. My guess is it must be sold out. I already have tickets to four games and so do a few of my mates...

Surely can't be sold out yet. Would be pretty epic if it was. That extra seating in the north and south stands at Mt Smart stadium I assume will be used to fit more people aye. But maybe you're right, can't think of why else they would waste opportunity to promote the game, should be at every warriors home game aye.

Reactions: mt.wellington
https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/new-rugby-league-programme-schools

Jonathan Coleman
10 March, 2017

New rugby league programme for schools
Sport and Recreation Minister Jonathan Coleman has today launched a new Rugby League Education programme at Auckland’s Birkdale North School.

“The Rugby League World Cup 2017 Education Resource is a range of curriculum-based learning and teaching resources for primary and intermediate students in Years 1 to 8. It’s a fun and interactive way to promote learning through rugby league,” says Dr Coleman.

“The programme includes engaging classroom ideas that can be used across the curriculum, including physical education, maths and science.

“As well as helping children learn and develop leadership skills it also helps them develop a life-long love of sport and physical activity.

“The programme complements the wider work underway to tackle childhood obesity through the Childhood Obesity Plan.

“It has been developed as part of the legacy from New Zealand’s co-hosting of the Rugby League World Cup 2017 and is a great example of what the broader benefits can be of hosting major sporting events.”

Dr Coleman, former Kiwi representative Jerome Ropati and Kiwi Ferns representative Krystal Rota today took part in activities from the Rugby League World Cup 2017 Education Resource with a classroom of students.

The education resource was developed in conjunction with the New Zealand Rugby League and further information can be found on their website, www.nzrl.co.nz.

This didn't get much press?

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely can't be sold out yet. Would be pretty epic if it was. That extra seating in the north and south stands at Mt Smart stadium I assume will be used to fit more people aye. But maybe you're right, can't think of why else they would waste opportunity to promote the game, should be at every warriors home game aye.

they were handing out flyers for the world cup and last nights game

i cant see any of the games being a sell out in nz except for maybe the semi

thats if we make it after our last few performances lol

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
they were handing out flyers for the world cup and last nights game

i cant see any of the games being a sell out in nz except for maybe the semi

thats if we make it after our last few performances lol
Idiots missed a fantastic opportunity to play the Samoa vs Tonga game at Mt Smart and play off the traditional rivalry that has existed between the nations for centuries. Would have sold the place out.

Had they of thought about it they would have had that game as one of the first two to whip the rest of the nation into a frenzy much like the hype around the Rugby World Cup of 2011 was stirred by passionate Samoans and Tongans welcoming their teams to Aotearoa...

Reactions: Centurion and Sup42
Idiots missed a fantastic opportunity to play the Samoa vs Tonga game at Mt Smart and play off the traditional rivalry that has existed between the nations for centuries. Would have sold the place out.

Had they of thought about it they would have had that game as one of the first two to whip the rest of the nation into a frenzy much like the hype around the Rugby World Cup of 2011 was stirred by passionate Samoans and Tongans welcoming their teams to Aotearoa...
This game would've gone off at My Smart! Dumb planning.

Reactions: mt.wellington