Horriors2013

Horriors2013

Great team...but heyzeuss the coach was who???
We have to remember that we've had hardly any NRL-level coaches in our whole history. We did what we could with what we had. Good old unpaid volunteers from club level. Kearney is our only true NRL coach, having come up through the ranks and mentored by Wayne Bennett and Bellamy. Kemp and Kidwell had no experience coaching at FG level (I concede Kempy had a bad record at Warriors, but he never had a full season). I have to belatedly edit this and say that Graham Lowe was a great motivator and worked miracles with average stock -he definitely was our best. English coaches have pro experience but from memory only Malcolm Reilly and Steve McNamara had NRL experience. McLennan sucked as an NRL coach and really relied on the likes of Wiki to rev up the Kiwis. Aussie dominates for a reason. It's 'their' game. They own the rule-makers and TV stations.

Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

I can relate lol to the story details after having a few lol.
There is an element of truth to
It as Blackmore was there the day I was told the story. My acquaintance (client of a good friend of mine) was at the same corporate event as me, a Thursday night game at Leigh in one of the boxes. Pre match meal etc. You get the chance to talk to some of the staff, Blackmore put his head around the corner of the door at one point and said hello. I confess I didn’t recognise him but others sort of knew him. I met and chatted to Robbie Paul around the same time, he had a neck injury so wasn’t playing but was on Leigh’s books

Reactions: bruce
bruce

bruce

Contributor
We have to remember that we've had hardly any NRL-level coaches in our whole history.
Whoa, we had some great Kiwi coaches, we have been beating the Aussies and Poms for decades.

I suppose you have never heard of Snow Telford and Ces Mountford.

Snow coached at my club and had the Aussies worked out to an inch.

Ces Mountford built Graham Lowes squad.

They are just two I can think of in a hurry.

playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Whoa, we had some great Kiwi coaches, we have been beating the Aussies and Poms for decades.

I suppose you have never heard of Snow Telford and Ces Mountford.

Snow coached at my club and had the Aussies worked out to an inch.

Ces Mountford built Graham Lowes squad.

They are just two I can think of in a hurry.
You forgot about Tank Gordon and Howie Tamati ….

• Haha
Reactions: bruce
bruce

bruce

Contributor
No I didn't lol. Say no more. :rolleyes:
Howie was the dumb bastard who dropped Gary Freeman because he had a shag with a sheila on the physio table...during a curfew FFS ...and made everybody say Maori prayers.
Now personally I have done, and have always been happy to join in with Maori prayers, but to make them compulsory is just plain dumb.
as for sex, Lord Cardigan said and I quote:
If they cannot fornicate they cannot fight, and if the cannot fight I will flog them within an inch of their lives.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
We have to remember that we've had hardly any NRL-level coaches in our whole history. We did what we could with what we had. Good old unpaid volunteers from club level. Kearney is our only true NRL coach, having come up through the ranks and mentored by Wayne Bennett and Bellamy. Kemp and Kidwell had no experience coaching at FG level (I concede Kempy had a bad record at Warriors, but he never had a full season). I have to belatedly edit this and say that Graham Lowe was a great motivator and worked miracles with average stock -he definitely was our best. English coaches have pro experience but from memory only Malcolm Reilly and Steve McNamara had NRL experience. McLennan sucked as an NRL coach and really relied on the likes of Wiki to rev up the Kiwis. Aussie dominates for a reason. It's 'their' game. They own the rule-makers and TV stations.
Graham Lowe???

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Graham Lowe???
Graham Lowe was always a media magnet and a motivator.
He started coaching lower grades at Otahuhu and had some good young players e.g. Mark Graham.
He got some results, came to the notice of a bottom rung club in Brisbane, got offered a shite contract and took it because it made him a professional coach.
He was never a technical coach, just a motivator.
He scored some upsets in Brisbane, came to the notice of the NZRL, and the rest is history.
Compared with the likes of Ces Mountford and Snow Telford he was ordinary.
It could be argued going into Sydney has actually stuffed the game here.

Dixpat

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
Graham Lowe was always a media magnet and a motivator.
He started coaching lower grades at Otahuhu and had some good young players e.g. Mark Graham.
He got some results, came to the notice of a bottom rung club in Brisbane, got offered a shite contract and took it because it made him a professional coach.
He was never a technical coach, just a motivator.
He scored some upsets in Brisbane, came to the notice of the NZRL, and the rest is history.
Compared with the likes of Ces Mountford and Snow Telford he was ordinary.
It could be argued going into Sydney has actually stuffed the game here.
Heard on radio today that Lowe has suffered some health event and requires hospital care