General Returning to Mt Smart

EastStandDiehard

U20's Player
Nov 4, 2021
Things could change a lot from now until the season is due to start. Things could be back to normal, or it could be a lot easier for the club to travel with both countries changing attitude to covid.

I'd be more confident with making plans on the Australian side. I know that seems weird with New Zealand having had long stretches covid free. Its more due to seeing how the NRL has managed to keep the competition running around the outbreaks. Moving the competition to the one state, working with the government. Here in NZ we were saying competitions or events could come here but things changed from one extreme to the other pretty quickly and there was no leeway to work within.

New Zealand still needs to move to the traffic light system which will be closer to living with covid. But that still has the possibility of lockdowns. When it was announced they said there could be regional lockdowns. I presume that would still be the entire city not suburbs in Auckland. We don't know how many cases or hospitalizations until they would pull the trigger on any lockdowns, if they would let sporting competitions run under covid protocols and if it would still cause a stop to travel between the two countries. The travel part may have been part of the announcements I'm just not aware of any details.

Its more likely the club will have games at Mt Smart. How often they want to travel to and from will be interesting.
Yeah I agree. The traffic light system I think is pretty well thought out. As long as we are not in Red (hospitals being overrun), Orange has no limits for vaccinated only events. The NRL has been successful in keeping the competition running under the pretty strong leadership of Peter V’landys. People thought he was mad when he set his restart date in 2020, but it happened. Same with the negotiations to move the comp to Queensland

I guess I just hope we are planning for the best case scenario of 12 games here rather than the last 6, which has previously been stated in the press “half the season”. I just think we are gunna look pretty silly playing in Redcliffe when NBL, A league and Super Rugby are all playing here and travelling back and forth.

I went to the Breakers games here this year and trans Tasman super games, while the warriors stayed in Australia (understandable). I think one was on the same day. I just don’t think we can do that again without losing a lot of sponsorships, casual fans etc.

Reactions: snake77

EastStandDiehard

U20's Player
Nov 4, 2021
They have 6-7 games at Mt Smart. I believe Super rugby Draw is released this week too. There would be no issues playing the games on the same weekend, just obviously not the same day. TV a scheduling especially on the Sky end on Super Rugby would be able to be sorted out. Sky would want the Warriors playing at Mt Smart for TV viewing numbers I’d imagine too.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
They have 6-7 games at Mt Smart. I believe Super rugby Draw is released this week too. There would be no issues playing the games on the same weekend, just obviously not the same day. TV a scheduling especially on the Sky end on Super Rugby would be able to be sorted out. Sky would want the Warriors playing at Mt Smart for TV viewing numbers I’d imagine too.
They will be sellouts!!!

Reactions: playdaball

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Thanks Fonzie good interview. It’s a tough job. I like how they are remaining based in Australia. I just hope the “some” games is as many as a possible. Hopefully all 12.
It will be one hell of a party when we get here! Pretty emotional I would think! I will be haha.
I hope they have enough new jerseys!!

Reactions: EastStandDiehard

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
That interview was interesting. I was under the impression if things improved they would return to NZ later in the season maybe based on the school year like they would of this year.

Fully committed to being based in Redcliffe for 2022 with some games back here.

Hopefully that ends up being as many games as possible Once one gets planned and the event occurs they would be more confident of doing more. A weird statement I know about booking a game but its weird times seeing its been two years and the last one fell through.

Have to feel for the people in the club, players and staff. George himself is separated from family for a few months even though they are in Australia.

EastStandDiehard

U20's Player
Nov 4, 2021
That interview was interesting. I was under the impression if things improved they would return to NZ later in the season maybe based on the school year like they would of this year.

Fully committed to being based in Redcliffe for 2022 with some games back here.

Hopefully that ends up being as many games as possible Once one gets planned and the event occurs they would be more confident of doing more. A weird statement I know about booking a game but its weird times seeing its been two years and the last one fell through.

Have to feel for the people in the club, players and staff. George himself is separated from family for a few months even though they are in Australia.
Agreed. That’s been my concern. The “some” games. I’m hopeful that translates into 10 plus. Especially if the other NZ sporting teams get back here as planned.

Reactions: bruce

Billyspleen75

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Silverdale
Fox Sports have an article with every team advising their vaccination status. Most teams say something like "we are at 95% double Vax" or "we anticipate all players will be double vaxxed by time pre season starts"

I'm really worried about our response..

NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS: (Player vaccination rates) is not information we will make available. The first players return on November 8, others return on a staggered basis.

zaggo

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2016
Fox Sports have an article with every team advising their vaccination status. Most teams say something like "we are at 95% double Vax" or "we anticipate all players will be double vaxxed by time pre season starts"

I'm really worried about our response..

NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS: (Player vaccination rates) is not information we will make available. The first players return on November 8, others return on a staggered basis.

Yeah to me this reads as there are a few key blokes they're struggling to get over the line...

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I saw something last week that had a brief statement on the vaccination status at the clubs. That just had the two that were leading. But it did make wander the Warriors status as seeing as we are the club most affected by all of this.

Stuck in another country.
Staff needed to get home who may not return to their roles.
Require international travel for home and away games.

The club has been pushing people to get vaccinated with the tagline "help get us home" or something similar. You would think our side has the most to gain by getting vaccinated.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
If they do end up travelling back for home games consistently it will be interesting to see the results. We have debated for years on the effects travel plays disrupting their preparation and recovery.

That has been negated being stuck in another country. Now we get the other suggestion that has been thrown around in the past to help with travel and recruitment. Based in Australia and travel back for the games.

These last few seasons have been a weird What IF experiment for the club.

Hopefully the personnel changes they have been making turns into results on the field so when they come back and everyone is keen to head to Mt Smart they win so it starts with the novelty factor or appreciation and continues.

Reactions: Worried2Death

EastStandDiehard

U20's Player
Nov 4, 2021
Definitely a weird time for all involved in the club. The chat with McIvor on SENZ reaffirmed they will be back based in NZ 2023 (depending it’s obviously fine too). The decision to be based there next year makes sense for families. But in the long term the sponsorship, member commitments, community engagement means that couldn’t possibly be on the table post COVID world.
Hopefully the last few players get over the the line with vaccinations.
Cam George I believe has done a great job with the club in very trying circumstances. Robbo and Rob too deserve special mention for the ownership side of the equation.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
If they do end up travelling back for home games consistently it will be interesting to see the results. We have debated for years on the effects travel plays disrupting their preparation and recovery.

That has been negated being stuck in another country. Now we get the other suggestion that has been thrown around in the past to help with travel and recruitment. Based in Australia and travel back for the games.

Which to me speaks very loudly about travel actually not being much of a major issue. Obviously it has some impact, but it would seem not that much...

Reactions: bruce

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
They will be sellouts!!!

The tickets will be in demand and on par with the first Warriors game in '95 and other sell outs such as the Black out game vs Easts.
Imagine the cheering as teams come onto Mt Smart - I'm getting emotional just thinking about it!!!!!!!

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
Then they run out through the old tunnel surrounded by flames like Dean Bell in '95 and five million kiwis spontaneously orgasm... we all have those dreams.
And then they get atrocious ref’s calls throughout the game, lose to a 79 minute drop goal following 3 six agains in a row - fuck I sure hope it is a dream.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings