General Returning to Mt Smart

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
That we don’t play in NZ indefinitely?

Well all I was pointing out is that with Air NZ that makes two layers preventing unvaccinated Warriors from entering NZ.

Air New Zealand are introducing vaccine passports for international flights.

As it stands Addin Fonua-Blake would have to row across the Tasman.

And as I said earlier, Aussies are not allowed to enter NZ without being vaccinated.

Lets be realistic, Addin Fonua-Blake is not going to have a very long career with the Warriors as an Anti Vaxxer.

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Well all I was pointing out is that with Air NZ that makes two layers preventing unvaccinated Warriors from entering NZ.

Air New Zealand are introducing vaccine passports for international flights.

As it stands Addin Fonua-Blake would have to row across the Tasman.

And as I said earlier, Aussies are not allowed to enter NZ without being vaccinated.

Lets be realistic, Addin Fonua-Blake is not going to have a very long career with the Warriors as an Anti Vaxxer.
I don’t believe people would forgo $100’s of thousands; potentially millions across a career - just to avoid jab?

I’m sure as a pro athlete he gets pumped full of pain killers, supplements, etc and just take the team doctors word it’s all ok (evidence - Cronulla)

You would have to be illogically headstrong in your convictions…

Billyspleen75

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Silverdale
I don’t believe people would forgo $100’s of thousands; potentially millions across a career - just to avoid jab?

I’m sure as a pro athlete he gets pumped full of pain killers, supplements, etc and just take the team doctors word it’s all ok (evidence - Cronulla)

You would have to be illogically headstrong in your convictions…

Yea surely there's no one that dumb

1635193819910.png

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Have we heard anything recently from Addin Fonua-Blake around vaccinations?

The refusal for the flu shot at Manly and wearing a mask at training while still expecting to be paid in full cause he has done all he can was before the season got shutdown last year. A lot has happened since then. Competition shutdown, covid protocols in place, salaries reduced, competition moved to Queensland. That is company wide and since then he has also joined a club that has been based in another country for two years, split off season last year, moved to Redcliffe for 2023.

He joined to get away from Sydney and be closer to family. He wasn't opposed to moving to Auckland. If he wants to go back to normal he'll need to be vaccinated to travel. The NRL might not be mandating it but his life will be restricted otherwise.

If he's spoken up since then or if his partner has raised concerns I would be worried. Just at the moment I'm not seen any recent comments.

Reactions: J_P and bruce

NZWarriorsFaithful

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2020
Have we heard anything recently from Addin Fonua-Blake around vaccinations?

The refusal for the flu shot at Manly and wearing a mask at training while still expecting to be paid in full cause he has done all he can was before the season got shutdown last year. A lot has happened since then. Competition shutdown, covid protocols in place, salaries reduced, competition moved to Queensland. That is company wide and since then he has also joined a club that has been based in another country for two years, split off season last year, moved to Redcliffe for 2023.

He joined to get away from Sydney and be closer to family. He wasn't opposed to moving to Auckland. If he wants to go back to normal he'll need to be vaccinated to travel. The NRL might not be mandating it but his life will be restricted otherwise.

If he's spoken up since then or if his partner has raised concerns I would be worried. Just at the moment I'm not seen any recent comments.
Theres been nothing from them so hopefully he’s taken the vax cause we are fked without him 😂

EastStandDiehard

U20's Player
Nov 4, 2021
How many games are we all expecting to play at our Mt Smart when the draw is released. I understand the team will stay based in Aussie for the season. However personally I see no reason not to plan to have all 12 home games at Mt Smart, with us travelling in for them. If we have back to back home games they could stay here for the week and reconnect with families, sponsors and members.
The Phoenix plan to have first home game January 29th in Wellington and The Breakers (whose schedule is structured to have their 14 home games in their last 16 games) are scheduled to play in Auckland 10th February

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
How many games are we all expecting to play at our Mt Smart when the draw is released. I understand the team will stay based in Aussie for the season. However personally I see no reason not to plan to have all 12 home games at Mt Smart, with us travelling in for them. If we have back to back home games they could stay here for the week and reconnect with families, sponsors and members.
The Phoenix plan to have first home game January 29th in Wellington and The Breakers (whose schedule is structured to have their 14 home games in their last 16 games) are scheduled to play in Auckland 10th February
I’d say we’d have a few TBC with venues when the draw is released

Reactions: snake77 and bruce

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Book Mt Smart for all 12 games and book Redcliffe as back up.
Issue there is - and fair enough - if you book Mt Smart, you're going to expected to front a certain amount of the booking fee, if not the whole 100%. Which, if we were in Normal World, would be covered by ticket sales for an event which would be guaranteed to happen.

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Normal World, anymore.

Which is not to say we'll never get there again, but if I was running the Warriors, I wouldn't even be considering Mt Smart for a few months yet even if the trans-Tasman bubble resumes and there's vaccine passports for everyone and their dog and mask-wearing and social distancing where appropriate and yadayadayada...

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Issue there is - and fair enough - if you book Mt Smart, you're going to expected to front a certain amount of the booking fee, if not the whole 100%. Which, if we were in Normal World, would be covered by ticket sales for an event which would be guaranteed to happen.

Which is not to say we'll never get there again, but if I was running the Warriors, I wouldn't even be considering Mt Smart for a few months yet even if the trans-Tasman bubble resumes and there's vaccine passports for everyone and their dog and mask-wearing and social distancing where appropriate and yadayadayada...
Well reasoned, but it seems the world has moved on from lockdowns, will we accept being a hermit kingdom?

EastStandDiehard

U20's Player
Nov 4, 2021

I don’t disagree totally, I’m just sure we could come to some sort of arrangement with the ground. It not like it’s booked weekend after weekend. Yes Moana Pacific are playing there, and that would have some dates blacked out. I’m sure some sort of arrangement could be made. We are their main tenants.

I disagree with the notion of waiting a few months.
If the Phoenix, Breakers and Super Rugby (which is going back to full transtasman mode) are all playing in February. We can’t wait. We need home field advantage.
surely the NRL a could also come to the party with scheduling aswell. The NBL scheduled all 14 of the breakers home games in the last 16 games. The Phoenix also have a favourite home-away ratio before they return.
I just think there needs to be some more urgency and outward want of playing at home.

Reactions: mrblonde

EastStandDiehard

U20's Player
Nov 4, 2021
Personally I’d be pretty annoyed with playing in Redcliffe round 1 if the breakers and Phoenix are playing here in February.

for disclosure I’m a 21 year member of the Warriors, have been a member of the breakers the last 10 and go to all Phoenix games in Auckland. I just see more urgency and hope from their organisations to get games back here at the moment.

RiceOwl

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2015
Personally I’d be pretty annoyed with playing in Redcliffe round 1 if the breakers and Phoenix are playing here in February.

for disclosure I’m a 21 year member of the Warriors, have been a member of the breakers the last 10 and go to all Phoenix games in Auckland. I just see more urgency and hope from their organisations to get games back here at the moment.
Question for you as I dont really follow NBL or A-League, are there any differences in challenges that we would face compared to these teams?

Reactions: EastStandDiehard

EastStandDiehard

U20's Player
Nov 4, 2021
Question for you as I dont really follow NBL or A-League, are there any differences in challenges that we would face compared to these teams?
No notable differences I would imagine. Definitely nothing specified. They realise they may not get back for those late January and February games here, but they intend to. I hope we are the same.
I think it’s good they have committed to stay there for the season as a base to give the families certainty with regards to schooling and housing. But if they can play the games here they should.

Reactions: bruce

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Things could change a lot from now until the season is due to start. Things could be back to normal, or it could be a lot easier for the club to travel with both countries changing attitude to covid.

I'd be more confident with making plans on the Australian side. I know that seems weird with New Zealand having had long stretches covid free. Its more due to seeing how the NRL has managed to keep the competition running around the outbreaks. Moving the competition to the one state, working with the government. Here in NZ we were saying competitions or events could come here but things changed from one extreme to the other pretty quickly and there was no leeway to work within.

New Zealand still needs to move to the traffic light system which will be closer to living with covid. But that still has the possibility of lockdowns. When it was announced they said there could be regional lockdowns. I presume that would still be the entire city not suburbs in Auckland. We don't know how many cases or hospitalizations until they would pull the trigger on any lockdowns, if they would let sporting competitions run under covid protocols and if it would still cause a stop to travel between the two countries. The travel part may have been part of the announcements I'm just not aware of any details.

Its more likely the club will have games at Mt Smart. How often they want to travel to and from will be interesting.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings