Player Manu Vatuvei

There were many, many, many years of heartache and absolute brain explosions before we got to a point where he's worth talking about today. Really picked his game up late in his career, retired, for mine, as one of the best to ever run out for the Warriors.

Sad and scary moments.

Especially the bit about what was happening around the red bull and tablets incident. His people were out looking for him, and if it wasn't for Bodene Thompson then things might have ended way worse.

That's how we are built though - us tough males - keep things to ourselves - can't talk to other males for fear of looking weak - tough ego check - have to go through bad times to come out other end.

The world has changed in the last 20 years, the world has changed sinced the 70's, 80's, 90's,

The world changed when Sir John Kirwan stood up and said no more, help me, I'm suffering here. For an All Black to publically ask for help was huge at the time.

I read Sione's book. Has he changed any?
Bruce brother, have always liked and respected some of your posts. I’ve been a lurker for years but enjoyed yours and others on this forums comments. Regarding this, I’ll DM, got some stories that both helped me and made me cringe when meeting/hanging out with Sione and Munz

Bruce brother, have always liked and respected some of your posts. I’ve been a lurker for years but enjoyed yours and others on this forums comments. Regarding this, I’ll DM, got some stories that both helped me and made me cringe when meeting/hanging out with Sione and Munz
Fair enough. I have never met either of them. I felt sad reading Sione's book. What a waste of immense talent.

I watched that with mixed feelings, in some ways I felt for the guy and he seemed sorry but then others like when he talked about the red bull incident he didn't seem sorry it was more about the fact that someone had let it out which he wasn't happy about and trying to be the victim. Then when he was up all night before training but still turned up and seemed to think that should be OK so was surprised people weren't happy about it. Anyway gave us some good memories and I wish him well as still a long way to go on his journey.

I watched that with mixed feelings, in some ways I felt for the guy and he seemed sorry but then others like when he talked about the red bull incident he didn't seem sorry it was more about the fact that someone had let it out which he wasn't happy about and trying to be the victim. Then when he was up all night before training but still turned up and seemed to think that should be OK so was surprised people weren't happy about it. Anyway gave us some good memories and I wish him well as still a long way to go on his journey.
The impression I got was one of entitlement. That is not an uncommon thing with talented sportsmen, although far from the norm. I just got the impression from the read that is was all about him. Which I guess it was.

Fair enough. I have never met either of them. I felt sad reading Sione's book. What a waste of immense talent.
Not so much wasted talent but above all wasted opportunities. Wasted opportunity to really be a role model to NZ and Polynesian kids. At the time Awen encouraged “offsite” style of partying. Til this day and I’ve said to Awen too that his brother Karl is a better and classier player than him!!! 💯

Back