Rumour Rene Ranger and Dogs player

So if a Silver Fern had smacked someone to the same level Ranger's alleged to have done, if an ex-girlfriend of Metcalf's had carried out an organised attack to Metcalf's current girlfriend miscarry you'd look on those differently?

And the fact that they were pissed is irrelevant if the accused did infact do the deed.

This makes no sense.

Fact is, Metcalf was premeditated murder of an unborn child. Rene's was quite possibly a provoked smack in the mouth. Totally different. Don't even compare.

Reactions: Moz

Danpatmac

The difference is pre-meditated murder (attempted) versus assault. I'm not going to cotton wool what Ranger has done, but the two crimes are on such different magnitudes they aren't comparable.

Yes, I agree... but I feel in some eyes it is the disparity between the intent of Metcalf and Ranger that is almost being used to belittle what Ranger did. the dude allegedly stomped on a prone man's head.

This makes no sense.

Fact is, Metcalf was premeditated murder of an unborn child. Rene's was quite possibly a provoked smack in the mouth. Totally different. Don't even compare.
He didnt kill the kid did he? it was attempted, yeah a terrible act. Stomping on a prone guys head, if not attempting to kill someone, is taking a big risk. Theres been a few people killed in NZ in recent years from excessive beatings.

edit: I think Ranger will get off because of his profile and because the accuser isnt well spoken and is pretty vague.

Spence

Sgt. Pepper
Yes, I agree... but I feel in some eyes it is the disparity between the intent of Metcalf and Ranger that is almost being used to belittle what Ranger did. the dude allegedly stomped on a prone man's head.

I'm not personally belittling his act, it's obviously a fairly serious assault. However, assault, no matter how serious, is still less of a crime than pre-meditated (attempted) murder.

He didnt kill the kid did he? it was attempted, yeah a terrible act. Stomping on a prone guys head, if not attempting to kill someone, is taking a big risk. Theres been a few people killed in NZ in recent years from excessive beatings.

Not 100% on if he killed it or not. Either way, attempted murder is a step up from a hiding.

I'm not saying what Rene is alleged to have done is acceptable, but its a different level to the Metcalf incident thats for sure.

Danpatmac

I'm not personally belittling his act, it's obviously a fairly serious assault. However, assault, no matter how serious, is still less of a crime than pre-meditated (attempted) murder.

i would propose that stomping on a man's head is not far off attempted murder.

i would propose that stomping on a man's head is not far off attempted murder.

No it's not. But I don't think this act was intended to kill. It was a cowardly move with probably little thought going into it but he wouldn't have been out to kill him.

That's really the sole different between the two.

Not trying to defend Ranger here at all, but how could a fit, strong, full time rugby player stomp on someone's head and only leave minor injuries to his face? Shit even if a fat little bastard like me stomped on someone's head it'd leave them with a good crack in the skull or burst eardrum. Even a decent kick in the head when you're on the ground would leave wicked injuries, yet this dude's wounds appear to be a few facial injuries and Ranger's lawyer is able to claim there was no stomp at all.

But it does raise (yet again) the question that if you're a professional sportsman, why the hell would you go out in public and get pissed out of your tree?

has Ranger been convicted yet ,or are these allegations I'm out of the loop over here in Oz land?

and for me personally, hell I'll say it I think Metcalfe is a piece of shit and that was a dog act

** EDIT correction not a dog act a dog wouldnt do that, also didnt post this is just for the sake of debate I might add as I dont expect people to feel the same way I do on this case.

Not 100% on if he killed it or not. Either way, attempted murder is a step up from a hiding.

I'm not saying what Rene is alleged to have done is acceptable, but its a different level to the Metcalf incident thats for sure.

The baby was born and is fine

Reactions: Eva

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
has Ranger been convicted yet ,or are these allegations I'm out of the loop over here in Oz land?

and for me personally, hell I'll say it I think Metcalfe is a piece of shit and that was a dog act

** EDIT correction not a dog act a dog wouldnt do that, also didnt post this is just for the sake of debate I might add as I dont expect people to feel the same way I do on this case.
Rene Rangers trial is on right now. I reckon he'll be found innocent. Read the latest update https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10826924

As for Metcalf, what he did was one of the most abhorrent acts a person can do. Doesnt get anymore pre-meditated than what he and his mates did. It was however, back in 2004 and he's done jail time and had to claw his way back. He will NEVER live down his demons and will always polarise people but thats something he will have to deal with. Last I heard, he had an ankle infection?

Ok knocking a guy down if he tries grabbing you. But to then stomp on his head, which I think he is accused of, thats just fuked up.

I'm with you on this. Fights should end when someone hits the ground. Stomping on someones head while they are out on the ground is not far off attempted murder if you ask me.

Reactions: Hitman82
I'm not quite sure what your point is, but I would look at the Silver Fern and Rangers cases the same and the ex-girlfriend and Metcalf's cases the same. Actually, I'd probably look more harshly on Metcalf as he was the father of the child (and partner of the woman) so there would be trust barriers he's violated.

Sorry, my point is probably not really relevant to the original topic of Ranger joining the Warriors which got resusitated yesterday but relates to Danpatmac's comment that a person is a person etc etc and I got to thinking that some folk might take a different view if the perpetrator of the crime was of the...er...fairer sex (the idea that a man shouldn't hit a woman isn't entirely based on chivalry, but also the point that an average man has better upper body strength than an average woman - now define "average"). Obviously a messy long and involved discussion about rights and wrongs and justifications etc etc.

You've raised a thorny but very valid point in terms of what barriers are broken when the perpetrator of a crime is related in some way to the victim of the crime perpetrated by the perpetrator.

Um....moving on..rugby league forum...heck, talk rugby league..di-di-di..Oh, yeah!...

Well, this got us away from complaining about Bluey, didn't it? :D

Reactions: Spence
There is no way that you can compare what Metcalf did to what ranger did. Absolutely no way.

Metcalf bashed his pregnant Mrs to kill the unborn baby, are you kidding me?!?! urine idiot if you think the two crimes are comparable.
Also with the Metcalf situation, we know the facts. We KNOW that he did that, that makes him the absolute scum of the earth.

With the Ranger situation, he was most likely provoked (not saying that makes it ok). We all know how guys can be real pricks to rugby players when they see them on a night out. And also, we don't even know if he stomped him out like the victim claims.

I just can't believe you guys see the situations as comparable, like seriously. dafukkk.

All that aside, would love to see Rene wearing the 2 or 4 Jersey for the warriors next season.
Surely managements looked into it right? RIGHT?!

Danpatmac

There is no way that you can compare what Metcalf did to what ranger did. Absolutely no way.

Metcalf bashed his pregnant Mrs to kill the unborn baby, are you kidding me?!?! urine idiot if you think the two crimes are comparable.
Also with the Metcalf situation, we know the facts. We KNOW that he did that, that makes him the absolute scum of the earth.

With the Ranger situation, he was most likely provoked (not saying that makes it ok). We all know how guys can be real pricks to rugby players when they see them on a night out. And also, we don't even know if he stomped him out like the victim claims.

I just can't believe you guys see the situations as comparable, like seriously. dafukkk.

All that aside, would love to see Rene wearing the 2 or 4 Jersey for the warriors next season.
Surely managements looked into it right? RIGHT?!

Of course they are comparable.
You have an aggressive attack on another person... you are discussing the context of what was done, which isn't the point I was making.

If the alleged headstomp took place then in my mind it is an attempt to cause grievous harm to the victim, possibly even kill them... certainly not pre-meditated but still, there is no reason to stomp on someones head unless you are looking to cause massive damage.

The assault on the pregnant woman was, from the accounts I have read, not to kill her but to force her to miscarry the unborn child... distasteful yes, but incomparable?

You have to take emotion out of the equation and look at the facts of the case, as best as we know, because that's the only way to be objective ... and I do feel they can be compared on this basis.
I do feel that the Metcalf assault is more distateful, absolutely. This is due to it's callousness and rarity as an act of a father against his partner/child and the Ranger case is a far more common type of assault, but this is not an acceptable reason in my mind to lessen it's severity or to go 'easy' on him at all, certainly not when considering him for a signing.

The Ranger stuff is alleged at this time and it's important that he is given a chance to defend himself in court.