General Religion

Mangi-Maori_old

Are any of you's actively involved in a religious organisation? Just wondering, funny topic to bring up in a pub, I know.

Jesbass_old

"Religious" is an awkward word, because of the connotations it carries, but I do believe in a God whom I have a personal relationship with.

As far as organisations go, I go to church...if that's what you're referring to?

Mangi-Maori_old

I say religious because it's more open that way, but maybe spiritual is a better word. Yeah Church, or any movement that is faith centered.

Reactions: 1 user

Jesbass_old

Yeah, fair enough. I just don't like the word because to me it means stale, rules, regulations, routine, imprisonment, stifling, and dead. These are not things that my personal relationship with God has any interaction with.

I'm a Christian, and I have to say it was the best decision I ever made. Marriage was the second best.

Mangi-Maori_old

Cool that makes two of us ... but I didn't know that the word religion had so many negative connotations behind it, I'll have to watch my tounge next time!!! A good husband you are Jes. Oh don't take that the wrong way!!

JonB_old

I am a brother as well.

5 weeks this Sunday, so far I don't think I have made a better choice in my entire history.

Jesbass_old

No worries, kumul. I just know that religion is associated with the Crusdades, the Inquisition, and every war on earth. Personally, my faith doesn't belong in that category.

But it's nice to see there's another brother on the boards. :)

Northern_Union

I'm not a Christian though i come from a Christian family, i believe in god and pray to god each night though i don't go to church. I don't believe you need to go somewhere to believe in god and don't believe you need to get dressed up to believe in god nor does god care what your wearing when you talk with him.
Do i swear and take god and his sons name in vain? Yes i do. Do i think god cares? No.

I personally have serious issues with the catholic churches history and the recent (and not so recent) spate of child molestation and various other offensive crimes which is one of a number of issues i have with the catholics though is not confined just to the catholics.

In short i believe in god but not in a conventional sense

raypower_old

Yeah, fair enough. I just don't like the word because to me it means stale, rules, regulations, routine, imprisonment, stifling, and dead.
A couple of questions to the speaker if I may.

I see where you're coming from but I can't say I agree with you there JB. Is that staement formed on the history of a particular type of religion or all forms of religions?

You also say that to you it means a set of negative adjectives, three interesting ones being rules, regulations, routine. Surely any faith based belief system is founded upon a set of rules and regulations. Prayer time for want of a better word is routine for example.

I must say I admire you though JB as you're a man who's proud of his faith, you're well balanced and seemingly in a happy spot in your life "as far as I can tell from forum interactions) The thing I appreciate most is you don't spend every waking minute force feeding it down "non believers" throats like a certain Lord Xenu...ahem...

Jesbass_old

I'm not a Christian though i come from a Christian family, i believe in god and pray to god each night though i don't go to church. I don't believe you need to go somewhere to believe in god and don't believe you need to get dressed up to believe in god nor does god care what your wearing when you talk with him.
Do i swear and take god and his sons name in vain? Yes i do. Do i think god cares? No.

I personally have serious issues with the catholic churches history and the recent (and not so recent) spate of child molestation and various other offensive crimes which is one of a number of issues i have with the catholics though is not confined just to the catholics.

In short i believe in god but not in a conventional sense

Hey NU, I really appreciate your honesty. I don't think you're the only one who has concerns with what the Catholic church, (and the Protestant one, for that matter), have done in the name of God, even when God Himself hasn't necessarily had anything to do with it.

I also agree that you don't have to go to church, wear certain clothes to communicate with God.

I disagree with taking His name in vain, though.

In all honesty, I don't think your belief in God is all that unconventional, when it comes down to it.

Northern_Union

I to question my taking his name and his sons name in vain.....though to be honest i believe there are bigger issues in the world for god to deal with.

Polar Bob......your knowledge of the cost of a back sack and crack is a little worrying though 'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you heard about it somewhere :D

Kav_old

Yeah, fair enough. I just don't like the word because to me it means stale, rules, regulations, routine, imprisonment, stifling, and dead. These are not things that my personal relationship with God has any interaction with.

I'm a Christian, and I have to say it was the best decision I ever made. Marriage was the second best.

I never made a decision to be a christian. I was born into a strong catholic family and remain so. The Catholic Church traces back to the apostles and St Peter who was the first "Pope"; having been made the rock on which Our Lord founded his Church. I like the order imposed by catholicism; a set of beliefs and values which have not altered for over 2000 years. I like the idea of God having a mouthpiece on Earth so that individuals don't make up their own minds what is right and wrong. Sure there have been abuses of power and intolerances leading to persecution and death, but these were responses of the times when the spiritual after-life was considered paramount compared with physical life.

Kav

Last edited by a moderator:

Kav_old

Drago, you can't blame the whole Catholic Church for the particular (and high profile) sins of some of it's members. After all, Jesus did say "he who is without sin can throw the first stone" Now what is that solid object you have in your hand?

Kav

Northern_Union

Is there not also a saying about removing the splinter from your own eye before removing the rafter from mine? (sorry i have paraphrased but i couldn't remember the exact words)

What you say is basically true Kav, however i'd like to point out that i have not acted in an improper manner towards children so i can't be accused of being a catholic priest :D

Jesbass_old

A couple of questions to the speaker if I may.

Certainly, friend. :)

I see where you're coming from but I can't say I agree with you there JB. Is that staement formed on the history of a particular type of religion or all forms of religions?

Religion in general. For some people, the word religion brings to mind things like the Crusades, the Inquisition, Jihads, cults, and the like. For me, personally, religion causes division. I'm not into causing division - I'm into having relationship.

You also say that to you it means a set of negative adjectives, three interesting ones being rules, regulations, routine. Surely any faith based belief system is founded upon a set of rules and regulations. Prayer time for want of a better word is routine for example.

I can't speak for other religions, but Christianity is not founded on rules, regulations and routine. It is founded on having a relationship with God, through Christ. For the Christian, there are only two rules that we're called to live by: to love God with all your heart, soul and mind, and to love others as yourself. (Paraphrased from Matthew 22:37, 39.)

There are routines, guidelines, and so on, but these are based on this relationship foundation. As in, for example, I do pray, but because I want to - not because I'm obeying a rule.

I hope that makes sense.

I must say I admire you though JB as you're a man who's proud of his faith, you're well balanced and seemingly in a happy spot in your life "as far as I can tell from forum interactions) The thing I appreciate most is you don't spend every waking minute force feeding it down "non believers" throats like a certain Lord Xenu...ahem...

Cheers, mate. I truly believe there's no such thing as a forceful "conversion" to Christianity, as it comes down to the personal choice of the individual. (It's a heart decision - not an outward action.) I'm always happy to talk about my beliefs, but I'm also conscious of other people and I don't want to take a forceful approach as I feel that negates a lot of the message of Christ.