Team List Rd 8: Warriors V Titans (sunday 05-05)

Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

Hitman82

Hitman82

Slide

https://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/TEAM-ANNOUNCEMENT-Vodafone-Warriors-v-Titans/73543

Captain Simon Mannering and winger Manu Vatuvei both return for the Vodafone Warriors’ eighth-round NRL encounter with the Gold Coast Titans at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday (2.00pm kick-off; NYC kick-off 11.45am; match day sponsor: DEWALT).

The veterans last played in the Vodafone Warriors’ 16-20 loss to Canberra on April 13.
Mannering (26), fourth on the club’s all-time list with 171 NRL
appearances, has been sidelined with a calf injury which prevented him leading the Kiwis in the Anzac Test on April 19 as well as last Thursday’s Anzac Day 18-28 loss to the Melbourne Storm.
Vatuvei (27) missed the Melbourne trip with a sternum complaint but has now recovered for his 156th career match this weekend.

In his last outing against the Raiders, he scored two tries to lift his club record total to 104 tries. His return on the left wing results in rookie Ngani Laumape being named on a five-man interchange.
Mannering joins Feleti Mateo in the second row while Ben Henry, who replaced the captain against the Storm, will start in the centres with Konrad Hurrell now due to turn out for the Auckland Vulcans in their New South Wales Cup match against competition-leading Cronulla in Sydney on Saturday.
“It’s a massive boost to have Simon and Manu fit again. They’re hugely important to the team with their experience and the contribution they make to our effort,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Matthew Elliott.

“It means moving Ngani out of the starting line-up, which was a difficult choice. He has done a terrific job for us since coming into the side.
“As for Konrad, this is all part of his development. There’s no question he’s going to be a long-term first-grade player for. This is a chance for him to consolidate his game.”

For just the second time since early June last year, the Vodafone Warriors will have their four 100-game plus props Sam Rapira, Russell Packer, Ben Matulino and Jacob Lillyman operating as a unit.
Utility Elijah Taylor has his first game at home after bringing up his 50-game milestone in Melbourne while second rower Feleti Mateo, who’ll make his 60th consecutive appearance for the club, will move within two games of playing his 150th career game. Lillyman will play his 146th match and his 84th for the Vodafone Warrioirs.

In the last four meetings between them, the Vodafone Warriors have beaten the Titans each time winning 34-14 in Robina and 22-6 in Auckland in 2011 while prevailing 26-6 at home and 32-14 away in last year’s two encounters.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v GOLD COAST TITANS
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
2.00pm, Sunday, May 05
Referees: Jason Robinson and Gavin Reynolds

VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 KEVIN LOCKE
2 BILL TUPOU
3 JEROME ROPATI
4 BEN HENRY
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 THOMAS LEULUAI
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 NATHAN FRIEND
10 RUSSELL PACKER
11 FELETI MATEO
12 SIMON MANNERING (c)
13 TODD LOWRIE
Interchange:
14 BEN MATULINO
15 JACOB LILLYMAN
16 ELIJAH TAYLOR
17 PITA GODINET
18 NGANI LAUMAPE

HEAD COACH: MATTHEW ELLIOTT

warriors4sure

No comment on Roops selection...Laumape has done nothing wrong in the centres but he gets dropped to 18th man..ME selects a centre who got burned twice on the outside and a second rower...Hurrell is carted off to the vulcans for his development..go figure

Danpatmac

2. Christopher Reeve
3. Stephen Hawking
4. Mark Richardson
5. Sir Douglas Bader

This would be a faster backline.

Surely we have just named the slowest backline in the universe?

Reactions: 8 users
Blain

Blain

How does Bill get a game over Laumape? Makes no sense at all.

I would like to see Ngani at centre, and Henry takes Taylors spot on the bench.

Reactions: 5 users
RobRoyMcCoy

RobRoyMcCoy

Happy with this team except at centre. Laumape desparately unlucky to be dropped as he has been our best player on average over the past 4-5 weeks. Not sure putting Benry back in the centres is a progressive step. Yes he may do a good job defensively on Idris but Laumape offers a bit more on attack. Hurrell in Vulcans for Ropati? Wow, big call. Massive loss of firepower for what? Defensive nous? Not sure after last week.

It looks to me like Elliot has gone very defensive in the centre and hopes we can win it elsewhere on the field where we do measure up well against the Titans who are missing a few key people.

Hitman82

Hitman82

I am truly shocked Laumape was dropped. But yeah, Elliot has obviously gone for the most experienced side he can name, regardless of form/potential. See if it works.

Reactions: 1 user

Danpatmac

Happy with this team except at centre. Laumape desparately unlucky to be dropped as he has been our best player on average over the past 4-5 weeks. Not sure putting Benry back in the centres is a progressive step. Yes he may do a good job defensively on Idris but Laumape offers a bit more on attack. Hurrell in Vulcans for Ropati? Wow, big call. Massive loss of firepower for what? Defensive nous? Not sure after last week.

It looks to me like Elliot has gone very defensive in the centre and hopes we can win it elsewhere on the field where we do measure up well against the Titans who are missing a few key people.

Jerome Ro-pass-me... Hilarious.

Fazz

Fazz

How does Bill get a game over Laumape? Makes no sense at all.

I would like to see Ngani at centre, and Henry takes Taylors spot on the bench.

Tupou has actually been okay, in my opinion. I would actually like to see how he'd go with Laumape inside of him though. Henry is sort of a headscratcher on the surface, but when you look at Hurrell's flaws, they're Benry's strongpoints mostly. Even if I don't agree with the logic entirely, I can see why Elliot has put him there.

Reactions: 1 users

drydenio

the whole team is defensive, relying too much on godinet and johnson to produce points, clearly ME wants to win as ugly as possible. as long as we win though

warriors4sure

Panic stations? Laumape has done brilliantly when he was at centre against the wabbits but since then hes been asked to fill in at winger..poor fish must be getting restless..wonder if uncle Ivan has rung him yet? Manu better pull out a big one cause he owes the fans and the club big time..woldve thought with a sternum injury he wouldve been out for longer..the wingers havent cost us games its been the centres..so ME picks a injury prone centre whos last start was a bst and a second rower who hasnt played at centre since ? the one player who shone at centre ME picks him at 18th man..hmm

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

The annoying thing is that this team will win.

Probably right. I can understand putting Benry in the centres to try to shore up the D, but would have loved to have seen Fish on the wing instead of Manu, and Laumape in the centres. Looking at the Titan's team they've got some pace as well as size ... we've got senior citizens with walkers ...

Titans

1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Brad Takairangi
4 Jamal Idris
5 Anthony Don
6 Aidan Sezer
7 Albert Kelly
8 Luke Douglas
9 Beau Falloon
10 Luke Bailey
11 Greg Bird
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Nate Myles

Interchange
14 David Taylor
15 Mark Ioane
16 Ryan James
17 Sam Irwin
18 Steve Michaels
Coach: John Cartwright

wallacenz

wallacenz

despite their injuries that still a nice titans team youve posted. titans should win this, better forwards

Danpatmac

Probably right. I can understand putting Benry in the centres to try to shore up the D, but would have loved to have seen Fish on the wing instead of Manu, and Laumape in the centres. Looking at the Titan's team they've got some pace as well as size ... we've got senior citizens with walkers ...

Titans

1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Brad Takairangi
4 Jamal Idris
5 Anthony Don
6 Aidan Sezer
7 Albert Kelly
8 Luke Douglas
9 Beau Falloon
10 Luke Bailey
11 Greg Bird
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Nate Myles
Interchange
14 David Taylor
15 Mark Ioane
16 Ryan James
17 Sam Irwin
18 Steve Michaels
Coach: John Cartwright

This titans team doesn't really look that much understrength... Harrison, Srama and Mead out but the rest look pretty daunting.

I'm predicting a loss.

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

This titans team doesn't really look that much understrength... Harrison, Srama and Mead out but the rest look pretty daunting.

I'm predicting a loss.

The question is, do I make myself sit through more punishment on the weekend or do I spare myself the pain?

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
I think the team is strong enought to win this weekend but I am disapointed on a number of things.
1. Ropati in the centres! yes Konrad dropped some balls, two of which were retarded passes. Jerome was being burnt that many times in one game he was setting of smoke alarms in the stadium.
2. Mateo, Mateo, Mateo. Seriously, this guy needs to pull his head out of you know where and perform. Dropping young players who are putting in every week and keeping this guy in the side with his lacklustre efforts. Right message being sent?
3. Manu sttaright back into the side? We have Fish and Laumape available and Manu just back from injury goes straight in?
4. Elliott. For the first real time this season, despite our results, I'm questioning his team strategy. First few rounds actually looked like he was picking on form, looks like he has gone back to reputation like previous Warriors coaches. Ropati, Mateo and Taylor hurt us in the game vs Storm and they are still there. He drops our most attacking centre who was pretty good on defence and keeps JRo who IMO provides very little. We have potentially (I know, Warriors always have the potential) a very good young team. Get them on the field. I can see Manu, Billy T and Jerome getting beaten on defence easily. Maybe not this game, which will be actually worse because Elliot will keep them in the team, but in weeks to come. We could be building, instead we are barely getting off the ground. Much like a Billy T leap for a bomb.

Reactions: 5 users
Hitman82

Hitman82

IF we win this, will people praise Elliot's unpopular selections - or grumble we would have won with the Fish/Laumape backline regardless ?

ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

I'm not watching that team. No way can I support that joke of a 3 quarter line they have just named. Dropping Hurrell and Laumape and continually ignoring Fish is the final straw for me while playing rat shit washed up vets like Manu and Ropo and yet again a 2nd rower at centre. Fuck this I'm out.[DOUBLEPOST=1367300536][/DOUBLEPOST]
IF we win this, will people praise Elliot's unpopular selections - or grumble we would have won with the Fish/Laumape backline regardless ?

How can you be so blind and think these are great selections. Seriously?