Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Nickname
Webby
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 3, 2023
Warriors Debut Details
March 3 2023, Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights at SKY Stadium, Wellington, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2023
  4. 2024
Signed From
Penrith Panthers (Assistant Coach)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Webster_(rugby_league)
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/andrew-webster/summary.html

One of the top comments in that YouTube video before I've watched it is

He's literally more of a Psychiatrist than a coach
honestly. He just knows humans and what makes
them tick so well. It's so simple. A happy player is
a player who plays well and how could you not be
happy with him around. UP THE WAHS
That's something I've always had at the back of my mind, a great coach is essentially a counselor type person that can read people well. sup42 may be able to give more insight as he's been in a related field career wise.

One of the top comments in that YouTube video before I've watched it is

That's something I've always had at the back of my mind, a great coach is essentially a counselor type person that can read people well. sup42 may be able to give more insight as he's been in a related field career wise.

Yeah it doesn't take a trained communicator to see Webster is a skilled operator, look at how many enjoy his interviews.

Stephen Kearney is a good contrast, he had those issues we all know so well in the media spotlight, but interestingly his fumbling words in the media were not the whole story. When there was a docco with prolonged presence of the film crew, you saw him with his guard down, F this and F that...no ahhh yeah yah know, and no process within earshot when it was just him and his players. So this just proves that it is very limiting to try to assess anyone without actually knowing them in the real world.

I would like to see Webster in action with no cameras and no media around. He comes across as as someone whose true self is closer to what we see than other people that talk in a media as part of their Job (Fonzie would have a better idea of Webster than I because he has talked to the guy off air).

The thing that separates Websters communication style from the others is substance. We have had great talkers without substance, Mathew Elliot being the most famous word smith at the Warriors, he would talk about the dna of the club, the furniture, he was great with metaphors and other advanced features of speech.

He was not wrong in identifying that the way the club was set up at its core was the problem (just look at how we are rolling now with good relations between the Owner, the Chief operating officer, the game day experience team, the medicos, and the Pathways and recruitment set up - in Elliots day he was fighting with a Womens underwear salesman in the Chief operating officers role, Wayne Scurrah believed that selling all those different jerseys every week was more important than winning, in other words the balance sheet came first, results second, and we had a criminally negligent owner in Watson that did jail time).

But with Elliot, over time, you started to get the feeling it is all words and not so much action.

By happenstance I did get to ask Mathew Elliot a question back in the day, I framed it in a humorous light hearted context, his response was unnecessarily defensive and he waxed lyrical while shifting the focus of my question to giving me a lesson on something so obvious that it was silly. I came away thinking....well that was a waste of time thanks very much for the Gas lighting - I get that at work for free.

Therein is an example of the difference between a good talker (Elliot) and a good communicator (Webster). One guy waxes lyrical for the sake of it, the other listens to the other party and answers them in a fashion that shows he heard them.

And this is so important in a New Zealand Warriors coach, many of our boys have been raised to respect their Elders and to not question. They are less used to being listened to than other cultural groups, which is why a good listener, is more powerful at the Warriors in the head coaching role, than a screamer that takes no prisoners.

The listening thing with Webster is obvious, effective listening includes feed back that shows you are listening to the speaker, which is why Warriors fans relate so well to Webster interviews (remembering that interview questions are 'our' questions by proxy, and we want to know the answers too, and so we react emotionally when a coach like SK was in the hot seat kept saying 'the process', versus what Webster does, addresses the question and by default gives the clubs supporters actual meaningful answers).

Ivan Cleary before he became a great coach had a habit of trying to be a faux version of Wayne Bennet with the media, when he dropped Krisnan Inu...we all wanted to know why....that version of Ivan seemed to enjoy saying robiticaly that 'he knows what he has done. This seemed disrespectful to the people who followed the club whether Ivan intended it too or not.

Compare that to Josh Curran under Webster, exact same scenario, Webster tells us he is in NSW cup to work on specific parts of his game, now whether that was the whole truth or not (perhaps he was on the naughty mat with his court stuff) what Webster did was to give us something, an opportunity missed by Ivan back in the day. We as fans would rather be lied to whether we like to admit that or not, than be dismissed out of hand.

Webster has a thing about not making excuses, and we all love that about him. But remember how he held a meeting to let the players air all their grievances about the Covid years? So he gave them a platform, he acted like a listener. Then he closed the lid and moved forward.

This is consistent quality of Webster, he will acknowledge there was a problem, but frame it in such a way that it is not allowed to be used as an excuse moving forward.

He is a bring me solutions not problems guy, and that is a good fit for our much maligned and hard done by club.

The way he talks reminds me a lot of Daniel Anderson. Another brilliant communicator, another guy who rose out of nowhere and understood fundamental skills in Rugby league and the lack thereof in the NZ system. But Anderson went off the rails, he had a tremendous ego, Webster is not a all about me guy, he has not drunk the one team one nation Kool Aide.

Lastly, our players over the years, our brand, has suffered from serious trust issues. Our players are like foster kids getting shunted from one coach to the next.

Webster is a really smart guy, he comes in and says he wants five years with the players, that is the most crude and obvious way to say to them I want to coach you blokes, and now that he has a top four side, his sermons are word.

I believe Ivan is the coach he is now because his Son was playing league, he is a more relaxed and interesting guy than he was here, that is the interpersonal element, the being real part of being a father, and Webster has those qualities already as part of who he is.

Last edited:
Very hypothetical and tongue in cheek question here...

If Webby has a successful run here as coach, will he go down as the most liked Aussie to have graced our shores? Clearly Steve Price still holds that mantle, but geez the public are enamoured with this guy (and rightly so).

Certainly if he delivers us to the promised land of winning a premiership it will be a foregone conclusion.

Yeah it doesn't take a trained communicator to see Webster is a skilled operator, look at how many enjoy his interviews.

Stephen Kearney is a good contrast, he had those issues we all know so well in the media spotlight, but interestingly his fumbling words in the media were not the whole story. When there was a docco with prolonged presence of the film crew, you saw him with his guard down, F this and F that...no ahhh yeah yah know, and no process within earshot when it was just him and his players. So this just proves that it is very limiting to try to assess anyone without actually knowing them in the real world.

I would like to see Webster in action with no cameras and no media around. He comes across as as someone whose true self is closer to what we see than other people that talk in a media as part of their Job (Fonzie would have a better idea of Webster than I because he has talked to the guy off air).

The thing that separates Websters communication style from the others is substance. We have had great talkers without substance, Mathew Elliot being the most famous word smith at the Warriors, he would talk about the dna of the club, the furniture, he was great with metaphors and other advanced features of speech.

He was not wrong in identifying that the way the club was set up at its core was the problem (just look at how we are rolling now with good relations between the Owner, the Chief operating officer, the game day experience team, the medicos, and the Pathways and recruitment set up - in Elliots day he was fighting with a Womens underwear salesman in the Chief operating officers role, Wayne Scurrah believed that selling all those different jerseys every week was more important than winning, in other words the balance sheet came first, results second, and we had a criminally negligent owner in Watson that did jail time).

But with Elliot, over time, you started to get the feeling it is all words and not so much action.

By happenstance I did get to ask Mathew Elliot a question back in the day, I framed it in a humorous light hearted context, his response was unnecessarily defensive and he waxed lyrical while shifting the focus of my question to giving me a lesson on something so obvious that it was silly. I came away thinking....well that was a waste of time thanks very much for the Gas lighting - I get that at work for free.

Therein is an example of the difference between a good talker (Elliot) and a good communicator (Webster). One guy waxes lyrical for the sake of it, the other listens to the other party and answers them in a fashion that shows he heard them.

And this is so important in a New Zealand Warriors coach, many of our boys have been raised to respect their Elders and to not question. They are less used to being listened to than other cultural groups, which is why a good listener, is more powerful at the Warriors in the head coaching role, than a screamer that takes no prisoners.

The listening thing with Webster is obvious, effective listening includes feed back that shows you are listening to the speaker, which is why Warriors fans relate so well to Webster interviews (remembering that interview questions are 'our' questions by proxy, and we want to know the answers too, and so we react emotionally when a coach like SK was in the hot seat kept saying 'the process', versus what Webster does, addresses the question and by default gives the clubs supporters actual meaningful answers).

Ivan Cleary before he became a great coach had a habit of trying to be a faux version of Wayne Bennet with the media, when he dropped Krisnan Inu...we all wanted to know why....that version of Ivan seemed to enjoy saying robiticaly that 'he knows what he has done. This seemed disrespectful to the people who followed the club whether Ivan intended it too or not.

Compare that to Josh Curran under Webster, exact same scenario, Webster tells us he is in NSW cup to work on specific parts of his game, now whether that was the whole truth or not (perhaps he was on the naughty mat with his court stuff) what Webster did was to give us something, an opportunity missed by Ivan back in the day. We as fans would rather be lied to whether we like to admit that or not, than be dismissed out of hand.

Webster has a thing about not making excuses, and we all love that about him. But remember how he held a meeting to let the players air all their grievances about the Covid years? So he gave them a platform, he acted like a listener. Then he closed the lid and moved forward.

This is consistent quality of Webster, he will acknowledge there was a problem, but frame it in such a way that it is not allowed to be used as an excuse moving forward.

He is a bring me solutions not problems guy, and that is a good fit for our much maligned and hard done by club.

The way he talks reminds me a lot of Daniel Anderson. Another brilliant communicator, another guy who rose out of nowhere and understood fundamental skills in Rugby league and the lack thereof in the NZ system. But Anderson went off the rails, he had a tremendous ego, Webster is not a all about me guy, he has not drunk the one team one nation Kool Aide.

Lastly, our players over the years, our brand, has suffered from serious trust issues. Our players are like foster kids getting shunted from one coach to the next.

Webster is a really smart guy, he comes in and says he wants five years with the players, that is the most crude and obvious way to say to them I want to coach you blokes, and now that he has a top four side, his sermons are word.

I believe Ivan is the coach he is now because his Son was playing league, he is a more relaxed and interesting guy than he was here, that is the interpersonal element, the being real part of being a father, and Webster has those qualities already as part of who he is.
Love this post, really interesting read. Personally I think your comments on Ivan Cleary are a little harsh. Ivan was a great coach for us, John Hart, Ivan and Ackland were on to a good thing. Look at all the ex warriors who wanted to follow Ivan and speak so highly of him. In my opinion Nathan is the product of Ivan, and if it wasn’t for Ivan, his son wouldn’t be the player he is today…

Love this post, really interesting read. Personally I think your comments on Ivan Cleary are a little harsh. Ivan was a great coach for us, John Hart, Ivan and Ackland were on to a good thing. Look at all the ex warriors who wanted to follow Ivan and speak so highly of him. In my opinion Nathan is the product of Ivan, and if it wasn’t for Ivan, his son wouldn’t be the player he is today…

I wonder how much influence Ivan had over Webbys coaching style and also wanting to come back to the Warriors. I dear say a lot….

Webster has said he discussed the job with Ivan when the Warriors approached him.

Webster has said Ivan told him he could make a difference over here.
Doubt very much that was cheap talk from Ivan too……he would’ve meant it knowing Webbys ability and our teams potential.

Pretty much a “go finish what I started young Jedi and win a premiership for those long suffering fans”

I reckon Ivan is selfless like that and still has a soft spot for us.

Doubt very much that was cheap talk from Ivan too……he would’ve meant it knowing Webbys ability and our teams potential.

Pretty much a “go finish what I started young Jedi and win a premiership for those long suffering fans”

I reckon Ivan is selfless like that and still has a soft spot for us.
Webster may have mentioned a bit more about their conversation. Think parts of it was how tough it would be for the squad over covid, may not have been a good reflection of the squad.

He also said he looked at our squad and who we had recovered and thought we had recruited well. Probably good thing as usually the incoming coach has the ready made excuse that he needs to recruit his team.

I'll preface all this by saying I love pretty much everything Webby has brought to this club. How we landed him, amidst the wreckage of 2022 and through the carcasses of all the other mediocre but experienced options that were out there at the time, is a small miracle. However, there are a few noticeable red flags that I'm hoping are simply part of his learning on the job and not hard wired into his DNA.

He appears extremely conservative and process focused: a valuable combination for a struggling team needing discipline and self-belief. But potentially problematic once that team is cresting as it can hinder development and evolution. Rigidity in thinking can be re-assuring - just do 'x, y, z' really well in that order and you will eventually arrive back at 'a'. You just have to listen to him being interviewed to understand that Webby thinks about things in this very ordered and structured way. And this no doubt provides considerable comfort for him under stress.

However, if 'x, y, and z' isn't working, you need to be able to counter the new challenge with creativity and instinctiveness. As Mike Tyson famously said: "everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face". When the Warriors are getting punched this season, it doesn't seem to trigger a new response. Instead, they double down on the process and hope that the attrition of possession and field position will eventually yield results.

It's early days still, but right now at least, it looks like the club has made some poor decisions around recruitment. Even though he was brought in for all the right reasons, Capewell has been very underwhelming. He was meant to be a big on-field talker, rallying the troops under moments of duress. But we're not seeing much leadership from him. Yeah, he tries hard but he's largely ineffective. What's worse is that he seems to be stifling the attack purely by being such a non-presence on the right. That block play - which was lethal last season - has become ineffective without the threat of Niukore or Curren putting some doubt into the defensive read.

Likewise Roger. As many have noted, he looks way too bulky. His explosiveness has evaporated. He can't pass and his first instinct is to clutch the ball tightly to his chest and step off his left foot - which is bringing him back into traffic and away from Montoya. And then there's his defensive reads, which are poor and making things more difficult for Montoya who is often caught out of position as a result. Perhaps he'll get more comfortable over time, but - as valuable as he is at training and in setting standards of professionalism for the young brigade to follow - his long-term signing is potentially blocking the path of one of them being blooded into the NRL.

It's been interesting hearing Webby in interviews talking about the major lesson he learned as he moved through the coaching ranks - you can't copy and paste what works at one club and think it will work again at the next. That makes sense. However, it feels like he believed he could replicate the exact same game-plan, set plays, and defensive patterns as last year and the results would be the same. They haven't. Not yet anyway.

The NRL is an ever-evolving beast. When Webby spoke in the pre-season about how they didn't need to change anything, just do everything better and quicker, that set alarm bells off in my mind. For all the glory of 23, the Warriors were actually a long way off the pace of the top 2 or 3 clubs. A LONG way. He worked miracles to even get them that far. But the process hasn't evolved, and so far, they've been easily dismantled by astute opposing coaches.

It's up to Webby now to show that he's learning fast and that's he capable of evolving. I think he is. But the next few weeks will be very interesting to watch.

I'll preface all this by saying I love pretty much everything Webby has brought to this club. How we landed him, amidst the wreckage of 2022 and through the carcasses of all the other mediocre but experienced options that were out there at the time, is a small miracle. However, there are a few noticeable red flags that I'm hoping are simply part of his learning on the job and not hard wired into his DNA.

He appears extremely conservative and process focused: a valuable combination for a struggling team needing discipline and self-belief. But potentially problematic once that team is cresting as it can hinder development and evolution. Rigidity in thinking can be re-assuring - just do 'x, y, z' really well in that order and you will eventually arrive back at 'a'. You just have to listen to him being interviewed to understand that Webby thinks about things in this very ordered and structured way. And this no doubt provides considerable comfort for him under stress.

However, if 'x, y, and z' isn't working, you need to be able to counter the new challenge with creativity and instinctiveness. As Mike Tyson famously said: "everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face". When the Warriors are getting punched this season, it doesn't seem to trigger a new response. Instead, they double down on the process and hope that the attrition of possession and field position will eventually yield results.

It's early days still, but right now at least, it looks like the club has made some poor decisions around recruitment. Even though he was brought in for all the right reasons, Capewell has been very underwhelming. He was meant to be a big on-field talker, rallying the troops under moments of duress. But we're not seeing much leadership from him. Yeah, he tries hard but he's largely ineffective. What's worse is that he seems to be stifling the attack purely by being such a non-presence on the right. That block play - which was lethal last season - has become ineffective without the threat of Niukore or Curren putting some doubt into the defensive read.

Likewise Roger. As many have noted, he looks way too bulky. His explosiveness has evaporated. He can't pass and his first instinct is to clutch the ball tightly to his chest and step off his left foot - which is bringing him back into traffic and away from Montoya. And then there's his defensive reads, which are poor and making things more difficult for Montoya who is often caught out of position as a result. Perhaps he'll get more comfortable over time, but - as valuable as he is at training and in setting standards of professionalism for the young brigade to follow - his long-term signing is potentially blocking the path of one of them being blooded into the NRL.

It's been interesting hearing Webby in interviews talking about the major lesson he learned as he moved through the coaching ranks - you can't copy and paste what works at one club and think it will work again at the next. That makes sense. However, it feels like he believed he could replicate the exact same game-plan, set plays, and defensive patterns as last year and the results would be the same. They haven't. Not yet anyway.

The NRL is an ever-evolving beast. When Webby spoke in the pre-season about how they didn't need to change anything, just do everything better and quicker, that set alarm bells off in my mind. For all the glory of 23, the Warriors were actually a long way off the pace of the top 2 or 3 clubs. A LONG way. He worked miracles to even get them that far. But the process hasn't evolved, and so far, they've been easily dismantled by astute opposing coaches.

It's up to Webby now to show that he's learning fast and that's he capable of evolving. I think he is. But the next few weeks will be very interesting to watch.
Could not have said it any better robbie! I guess it will be interesting to see the response on anzac day.

Hit the nail on the head my friend.

Just like in wet weather football.. there is no Plan B from Webster.

Last season we caught alot of team by surprise, but by now every team knows our game plan.

Every attacking set in-game is virtually the same time after time and is easy AF to read.

Shades of the early Kearney days, though I truly believe that Webster is a student of the game and will adapt. He has the foundation of an elite coach, he just needs to keep ahead of the game now. I'm hoping he looks to be an innovator.

It would be nice to see a bit more variation when it is needed. In a couple of matches this year, the game has been crying out for SJ to put a few attacking kicks behind the line, but it is obviously not part of the process (ahem Kearney). AFB is phenomenal, but I think he is playing within himself in a conservative plan. It will be interesting to see if Kennedy, Hynes etc support him through the middle next year.

RTS is a true enigma, I was a harsh critic of him last time around. His huge workload, and contribution to the team were massive, but rarely beneficial to the team in terms of his core role. What do you do with him. If he is going to tuck the ball, hit it up with fast feet is he better as a forward - ridiculous I know, but he is not a link player.

SJ definitely still playing well but hasn’t hit the same form as last year, and if that’s even possible with such a strong showing week in week out but I personally feel that Niukore was at least a factor in that form. When it was touted that Niukore would shift to front row more in the preparation of losing AFB I wondered how that would work? And without him it’s been plain to see the gap he’s left, there’s no cohesion between SJ and Capewell and the result is our right side that we had so much success looks clunky. Then there’s Ford on the left that hasn’t consistently shown the form of last year and looks down on confidence. For me the best fix is when Niukore is fit again, we scrap the idea of him going to front row permanently and keep that already tried and tested edge of SJ and Niukore and with the arrival of JFH next year we bolster the props with another recruit if there was potential of signing another backrower and Capewell goes to the left, or even bench if Laban progresses enough on the left. In regards to RTS, I think we might have all been a bit naive that he comes in and learns a new position in the pre season and was probably a bit tough on Pompey that a guy who’s been learning the position for the past 5 or so seasons to be displaced by a guy learning it in one pre season, and worse to think he just plays a roving centre role that Joseph Manu does, who’s one of the best centres going around. Just my view, but I don’t think we’ll see this team settled into their correct positions until next year? Think there’s a possibility that RTS takes the entire season to become accustomed to the centre role?

Shades of the early Kearney days, though I truly believe that Webster is a student of the game and will adapt.

It would be nice to see a bit more variation when it is needed. In a couple of matches this year, the game has been crying out for SJ to put a few attacking kicks behind the line, but it is obviously not part of the process (ahem Kearney).

RTS is a true enigma, I was a harsh critic of him last time around. His huge workload, and contribution to the team were massive, but rarely beneficial to the team in terms of his core role. What do you do with him. If he is going to tuck the ball, hit it up with fast feet is he better as a forward - ridiculous I know, but he is not a link player.
Wing bro! He can make 20 carries a game with Charnze. It's not like we have huge set plays to the left so only needs to occasionally dot down. His d is suspect so probably more suited tobthe wing. That way pompey can pass out to Roger to do his thing and lock up defensively. That way Ali Leiataua's closer to some game time and not wasting away in cup.

It will suit our team much better this way! Can't see it happening because webby has sold him the dream at centre.

Hit the nail on the head my friend.

Just like in wet weather football.. there is no Plan B from Webster.

Last season we caught alot of team by surprise, but by now every team knows our game plan.

Every attacking set in-game is virtually the same time after time and is easy AF to read.
To say no plan B for Webby is alittle harsh.

Getting a team to buy in is so bloody difficult. That’s the beauty of what Webby has achieved with this club. I wouldn’t throw the baby out with the toys after 2 sub performances. The strategy works.

After 7 weeks of wind and grind footy the team look exhausted. That is the problem. And it’s affecting their decision making and ability to execute. Heads drop, concentration lapses and people start missing tackles and dropping balls.

I’d be keen to know what sort of prep work they get up to during the week - more psychologically than physically, to get in the right head space for these upcoming games

The plan is fine in my estimation (although i did enjoy the good arguments being put forward for change).
The issue at the moment is our ability to deliver on the plan consistently.

Our plan is to dominate territory and to exhaust the opposition who have to work it our from their end and they just can't get at us.

The reason the plan is not working is not a flaw in the plan.

We are turning over too much ball, we are giving away too many penalties.

Therefore the opposition are not tiring, in fact it is us that is tiring.

More recently the momentum swings engineered by us are sporadic, in bursts, and this is a function of missing Marata, Jazz, and Walker when those blokes are playing well. Curran was part of that metric too.

Last year our mobile bench would come on and kick up the momentum against a tiring opponent and we would finish the game over the top of them, like we almost did against Melbourne.

If you look at our losses this year, they are all speckled with costly errors and penalties at crucial times.

We are meant to be winning games by pressure, last night we let the pressure off, then compounded it by letting the resurgent Dragons get their tails up, put the pressure on us.

That was an ugly loss.

Our left edge attack is stagnating at the moment, needs more time, then we will be able to throw new stuff at teams.

Against the Dragons, if we had of played our plan properly, then at worst it would be a low scoring loss, at worst......but the plan was not the issue, us falling apart was the issue.

I am concerned about how Webster gets on picking these boys up for this week, that type of loss has seen many good NRL teams sink beneath the waves as their psyche is damaged by that type of humiliating defeat.

I know Webster is protective and conservative with our Juniors, but that is in their best interests long term, and that should be the plan over changing their stress loading by making them responsible on debut for trying to win a game that the seniors have dug them into a hole with....now that could really harm a players development...because if Webster had of thrown them in there while the game was still winnable....and we got thrashed, everyone including the rookies would be blaming them.

In summary, if we delivered our plan, even though they were reading every attack, and we stuck to the Penrith style strangle, the Dragons would tire, holes would open where there were none last night.
The tired Dragons could not mount that offensive defence had our usual bench come on and run them off their feet (holes open near the goal posts, Warriors forwards punch through).
Had we delivered the plan, the Dragons would not be able to use line speed or target our play makers as aggressively.

Our plan, when done well, against anyone....even the top team in the comp, should see us battling it out for a twelve point score line against.

Last edited:
Back