Post Match Rd 7: Storm Beat Warriors In Thriller

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
From the Storm Website :

One of their Forumers posted these picks that suggests a forward pass to Bill ( have to review the tapes because the catch was awkward with Bill reaching back for it ) in the pics it looks like a forward pass.
They complain about getting a hard time from reffs as much as we do, but then their squad has pushed the boundaries of the law ( cheated ) and come in for extra scrutiny ( you reap what you sow cheats ).
If it was forward then that's a Try for a Try evens things out a bit.
The Mongrel in me hopes it is a forward pass.

ai41.tinypic.com_2ajx85x.jpg

ai42.tinypic.com_2kg9x1.jpg

It's like throwing a ball backwards from a moving car, it's not going to land further back from where you throw it! I'm not sure how you can call this forward as you cannot see where Shaun Johnson has ended up after throwing the pass? The fact that ball is closer to the line doesn't mean it didn't leave the hands backwards and was carried forward through momentum.

It's like throwing a ball backwards from a moving car, it's not going to land further back from where you throw it! I'm not sure how you can call this forward as you cannot see where Shaun Johnson has ended up after throwing the pass? The fact that ball is closer to the line doesn't mean it didn't leave the hands backwards and was carried forward through momentum.
All true (Shaun Johnson looks stationary tho) , but all in all it's bloody funny the train spotters who follow sports , I'd hate to get into an argument with that guy ( find pics of yourself picking your arse on the thread the next day ).

Reactions: eX | Machina
jerome ropati and kevin lockes defence cost the warriors this game. i think if you look back at the stats this season kevin lockes has missed more tackles than any other player in the team.

Reactions: Eva
May i ask why they would bother pin pointing Bill's supposed forward pass? After they had won the game off two of the most dodgy decisions of the year. Maybe its just their way of justifying. And being Storm fans they'd have ample practice of justifying. Just seems so petty and strange.[DOUBLEPOST=1366961661][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way here's that Bill Tupou pass. Legit as the son of the queen. Storm fans high from their excretion?

https://www.nrl.com/TelstraPremiership/MatchCentre/tabid/10999/Default.aspx#matchid=3335&tab=Video

Reactions: Defence and Sup42
May i ask why they would bother pin pointing Bill's supposed forward pass? After they had won the game off two of the most dodgy decisions of the year. Maybe its just their way of justifying. And being Storm fans they'd have ample practice of justifying. Just seems so petty and strange.
The context of the discussion was around the 50/50 stuff that went the Storms way including the 40/20

Reactions: Sebastian
Maybe I need to go back and look but I thought Ropati read the Storm rather well. He just couldn't make use of that experience/knowledge through his poor defence. I'm taking a stab in the dark here but I think that if Ropati learns how to takle he could rival Nielson as our best-overal defending centre. As it is, I think he needs more time in the Vulcans to regain fitness. Both times Chambers ran past him, he literally ran past him. Not through him. So maybe playing scrag (like tag, but tackling) with Johnson and Locke could be the best training he needs.

Inruin

Contributor
Maybe I need to go back and look but I thought Ropati read the Storm rather well. He just couldn't make use of that experience/knowledge through his poor defence. I'm taking a stab in the dark here but I think that if Ropati learns how to takle he could rival Nielson as our best-overal defending centre. As it is, I think he needs more time in the Vulcans to regain fitness. Both times Chambers ran past him, he literally ran past him. Not through him. So maybe playing scrag (like tag, but tackling) with Johnson and Locke could be the best training he needs.
that second to last try where they went 80m ropati rushed up out of the line and clean missed. thats not reading the storm play well. that was just dumb. same with ET on cronk. Both 'experienced' players who came up with dumb plays. almost selfish plays IMO not team plays as they just put the team under more pressure.

Reactions: koolkat
Yeah, I'm not too harsh on Ropati for this match: the first miss on Chambers was a case of flapping his hands at Chambers' shoulders instead of piling in for the tackle (something you see from any player in any team when they're beaten by even a small step). The second, he was too far to the right, pulled over by Mateo being further in than he should have been; if he hadn't have moved over, then there would have been a gaping hole on his inside.

My own preference is to see the outside backs staying out wide on defence... if a centre drifts in and misses a tackle, then we'll get burnt on the outside where it's harder for cover defence to reach... if he leaves the hole infield, in theory there will defenders coming across, as well as the fullback.

Yeah, I'm not too harsh on Ropati for this match: the first miss on Chambers was a case of flapping his hands at Chambers' shoulders instead of piling in for the tackle (something you see from any player in any team when they're beaten by even a small step). The second, he was too far to the right, pulled over by Mateo being further in than he should have been; if he hadn't have moved over, then there would have been a gaping hole on his inside.

My own preference is to see the outside backs staying out wide on defence... if a centre drifts in and misses a tackle, then we'll get burnt on the outside where it's harder for cover defence to reach... if he leaves the hole infield, in theory there will defenders coming across, as well as the fullback.

Funnily enough the Storm supporters see the same thing as a fault in their team

The context of the discussion was around the 50/50 stuff that went the Storms way including the 40/20
That 40/20 was not a 50/50 call. The touchie was adamant when Slater challenged him that it went over beyond the 20. The refs had no right to challenge him, and I don't believe they would have if anyone apart from Slater/Smith challenged it. The video ref is not allowed to over-rule a decision without categorical evidence to the contrary, so how could they over-rule the touch judge with that awful angle, and only one look?

But by making them go round u it forces them to throw a couple more passes or look for the long ball- both of which are more risky than running through the hole yourself. Also while the ball is being moved sideways that provides time for the cover to come across. I didn't think anyone made a bad read on them tries- jro was just beaten hands down IMO

Let's not lose sight of the fact that this is Melbourne who have won something like 14 games in a row in Melbourne. Not liking the doom and gloom here, we have played the top sides in the competition and we are now looking competitive. This team is on the up.

Yes, but we'll never win a premiership if we can't beat the top 4 on a regular basis.

We need to start closing out matches. It's weird how we only play for 60-70 mins when ME did that much hard pre-season stuff.

But by making them go round u it forces them to throw a couple more passes or look for the long ball- both of which are more risky than running through the hole yourself. Also while the ball is being moved sideways that provides time for the cover to come across. I didn't think anyone made a bad read on them tries- jro was just beaten hands down IMO
Agreed.
Bluey could have saved himself one of his media gaffs by articulating it better when he said ' it's better that they are scoring tries out wide than through the middle. A coach saying it's better to give away points in any contest sounds counter intuitive but that's what he was on about.
Lewis Brown got done in the centers the same way ( on pace ) so really Ben Henry did a stellar job in the Hodges match up (Hodges is one of the best at burning a man on the outside).

I agree about the no bad reads , Ropati shut down a few Movements by reading the play well, the ones where Chambers got him he was trying to herd him towards the narrower corridor of the side line / his Wing man Laumape....doesn't work if you are not at least as fast as the man your ghosting.

Reactions: Defence

Far Away Fan

Yes, but we'll never win a premiership if we can't beat the top 4 on a regular basis.

We need to start closing out matches. It's weird how we only play for 60-70 mins when ME did that much hard pre-season stuff.

It's heaps better than playing for 30-40 minutes. Feck, they came that close to beating the unbeaten Storm and that close to beating the then unbeaten Bunnies. We all know that if ref calls had gone fairly and missed strips hadn't been missed, the results would likely have been different.

Reactions: Defence
Thought for the day: Have we ever had a good recruit from Parramatta other than P J Marsh - who was obviously cruelled by injuries?

Daniel Anderson.

Tookey was pretty handy off the Bench and lent some accuracy to the Commentators calls "The Big Warriors forwards are tiring "

In the end the KFC got the better of him.....if you trim Russel Fatters beard the resemblance is becoming uncanny.

Just watched the Replay.

Can understand the fan angst BUT WHAT A GAME !!!!! pretty proud of the Warriors team efforts , individual lapses aside.

Kept a close eye on Ropati , yep he got scorched by a better Center , but Ropati also had a mini revival in the Middle forty of that game , he reads the game seriously pro , foot speed let him down....wot to do wot to do....he shut down a number of the storm movements twenty minutes either side of half time.

Laumape looked a bit lost , too much chopping and changing him around it's not surprising.

Bills a little champion, he's looking inside for the ball all the time and contesting everything in the air, I love that guys attitude, we just don't seem to get those ingredients in the physically more talented players.

Martel is all crap.

Ok so we gave two top four sides a run for their money for seventy minutes , there is something to be worked on there and we have to find a way of over coming the Reffs insecurities when we lead against teams that in their minds should be in front....this year we are copping a hiding from the Whistle blowers at the end of games. Safe Footy might be the only way to win in the Last ten, it sucks to have to shut up shop and go into a defensive mindset , but I can't see any other way to win. Union style cycle it through the forwards ....my bad some of the worst ball droppers are there[DOUBLEPOST=1366947199][/DOUBLEPOST]oh yeah and TL is killing one half of the attack line.

He hesitates with the ball in hand , his timing is lousy , he has to let it go sooner or be pulled from the halves.

This is pretty much exactly what I saw from the first viewing.

I would have absolutely no problems with getting rid of Mateo now, which is 100% reversal from the beginning of the year. I don't think he fits in with the Elliott game plan, a game plan which when even remotely followed has seen us could've, and probably should have beaten the Storm, Roosters and Souths who along with Manly are the top four this year. He just provides absolutely nothing to me. I would love to see a real attacking, hole running back rower in his place... I think Bukuya, if we get him, would be an excellent fit, he is exactly these things.

I agree about Ngani, but seriously who can blame him? A rookie that has played a new position in virtually every game... incredible effort for him to just not look like a fool, let alone play well, really speaks about how highly the coaching staff value him. A great, great find for the year.

Locke and Shaun Johnson are really starting to click into gear, and when they do, they can just annihilate oppositions D. I simply don't understand some of the criticism Locke gets, he was largely excellent under the high ball and he chimes into the back line very effectively, and we finally began to see some of his brilliant kick returns. SJs defence is improving out of sight, I think he is finally beginning to learn to use his not inconsiderable physical size effectively, which is purely an attitude thing and great to see.

Ben Henry has been hugely impressing me, he is a rock in defense and has excellent attitude. For mine, he should be in the starting back row every week, and even one of the first picked.

Again, I understand the criticism of Hurrell, but, when was the last time you saw a player run over his opposite, literally run over, 3 odd times in a game? If it weren't for Hurrell and Tupou on that right edge making huge metres for us, I doubt the game would have been remotely as close. And true, you could argue that without Hurrell's errors it might have been closer, but I honestly believe that with time his errors will gradually leave his game, and what we will be left with is the most damaging centre in the comp. Tupou and Hurrell are making a great combo on that right edge.

I wouldn't have a problem with Leuluai being moved to Hooker if Friend isn't kept beyond this year. I don't think he has been necessarily bad, and I think his passing game in the sweeping ride side shifts has been good, but I don't think he provides enough attacking threat to warrant keeping him there. On this note, I must say I barely noticed Friend at all in this game, I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but regardless, I barely saw him.

I don't know what Taylor really provides off the bench? Moreover, given his shift across the Tasman I would have no problem dropping him, especially when someone like Sam Lousi is fit... now he is a player that could provide us with impact off the bench... which I am fairly confident is what it is for.

The 2nd break was right in front of me Ropati was staying inside waiting for someone to take that space, he saw the danger, by the time he went wide it was too late. He was burnt big time though.