Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Hey Melbournewarriorfan. My brothers thought 9000 at Mt Smart made more noise then 25,000 at Melbourne. True???

Can't really say, it was a good atmosphere. The Kiwis were louder than the Storm supporters. They used loudspeakers to rark up the fans for Storm D.

Hitman82

Hitman82

I definitely think taking the 2 was the correct decision. You can't pass up the chance to lead the Storm with 10 minutes to go. If it's 16-all and comes down to a 1-point duel, I know who I'd back to win it.
Just a pity we couldn't build on that lead.

Reactions: shuffle and Defence
ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

And Hurrell. Guy couldnt catch a cold...

At least he has talent and his handling errors will come right, he is skillful so I have no qualms he will improve just like he has his defence.

Ropati on the other hand is a punch drunk bum.

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Ropati on the other hand is a punch drunk bum.
Ropati the player is under done at the moment. Or he is over.

As for why successive coaches hold him in such high regard.....you have to start wondering about the gib of the man.

• They say is one of the brightest people at the Warriors ( he has academic achievement to back it up
  • People keep hearing behind the scenes Ropati stories ( the way he takes young struggling players and will spend hours kicking the ball to them to help them out )
  • He worked some kind of player coach / mentor magic with Manu which made the Beast the best during that era
  • Every coach that comes along dreams of Ropati getting his own form back to even an average level so that all these Qualities can be used on the park to inspire Hurrell / Manu / Laumape etc.....if he could play reasonable footy again you can see why he is there.
  • The 100k Lifeline the club gave him he now is fronting to repay their deed, if he gets back from all those Injuries he would inspire a generation of Warriors before hobbling off into retirement.

ryno

ryno

As for why successive coaches hold him in such high regard.....you have to start wondering about the gib of the man.

• They say is one of the brightest people at the Warriors ( he has academic achievement to back it up
    People keep hearing behind the scenes Ropati stories ( the way he takes young struggling players and will spend hours kicking the ball to them to help them out )
    He worked some kind of player coach / mentor magic with Manu which made the Beast the best during that era
    Every coach that comes along dreams of Ropati getting his own form back to even an average level so that all these Qualities can be used on the park to inspire Hurrell / Manu / Laumape etc.....if he could play reasonable footy again you can see why he is there.
    The 100k Lifeline the club gave him he now is fronting to repay their deed, if he gets back from all those Injuries he would inspire a generation of Warriors before hobbling off into retirement.

How hard is it to be the brightest person at the Warriors?

warriors4eva

Ropati run around twice by Chambers

i know you will say, well first game back in a year, but thats been the case for the last 3 or so years. Spends more time on the sideline

give laumape that jersey and give fish a run, need some pace on the flanks

as for chambers, when is he off contract...neilsen / chambers in the centres would do me

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Have watched replay of the game. Having been at the game you get a different perspective. Frankly I am pissed off. Particularly the second half the refereeing was diabolical. How could they overturn the 40/20 on that replay. The Slater penalty, compared with what Storm was doing was innocuous. That pass leading up to the try was forward.
The coaches of Eels, Warriors etc need to have a combined front to get a decent chance. It is effectively cheating to give the benefit to the supposed top teams. The referees are having too much say in results

ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

Hopefully. 9 years down the track, Manu still makes the same errors!

Look at Hurrell with ball in hand though, he's a skillful passer, he is just a lot more coordinated than Manu. That's why I believe this is something he will rectify.

Reactions: Hitman82
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Have watched replay of the game. Having been at the game you get a different perspective. Frankly I am pissed off. Particularly the second half the refereeing was diabolical. How could they overturn the 40/20 on that replay. The Slater penalty, compared with what Storm was doing was innocuous. That pass leading up to the try was forward.
The coaches of Eels, Warriors etc need to have a combined front to get a decent chance. It is effectively cheating to give the benefit to the supposed top teams. The referees are having too much say in results

I thought so last night but I was 80 metres away, Warriors players were held in the scrum for Slaters try, Sam went to the ref but they just turned away from him.

ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

People keep hearing behind the scenes Ropati stories ( the way he takes young struggling players and will spend hours kicking the ball to them to help them out )
    He worked some kind of player coach / mentor magic with Manu which made the Beast the best during that era
    Every coach that comes along dreams of Ropati getting his own form back to even an average level so that all these Qualities can be used on the park to inspire Hurrell / Manu / Laumape etc.....if he could play reasonable footy again you can see why he is there.
    The 100k Lifeline the club gave him he now is fronting to repay their deed, if he gets back from all those Injuries he would inspire a generation of Warriors before hobbling off into retirement.

Ropati is a true professional, a great club man and from what I can see is highly respected by both team mates and coaches. That is without question.

The favouritism shown to him when it comes to team selection though is just ridiculous when it is so obvious he has lost a step. Injuries have had a massive impact, he may be able to get some of it back if he can stay healthy and not suffer another serious knee injury but he should be doing that in the Vulcans.

Reactions: Gizzyfan
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Ropati is a true professional, a great club man and from what I can see is highly respected by both team mates and coaches. That is without question.

The favouritism shown to him when it comes to team selection though is just ridiculous when it is so obvious he has lost a step. Injuries have had a massive impact, he may be able to get some of it back if he can stay healthy and not suffer another serious knee injury but he should be doing that in the Vulcans.
SIxty four thousand dollar Question , the Vulcans or First grade.

I dunno the answer.

But I recall Matt Elliot making telling comments about Ropati needing confidence in the pre season trial games.
I suspect Coaches doubt whether NSW cup is the place to build confidence when it comes to senior players , rightly or wrongly.

Some of Elliots Media hyperbole about Ropati I suspect was for Ropati's ears not the fans.

Reactions: Hitman82
ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

SIxty gour thousand dollar Question , the Vulcans or First grade.

I dunno the answer.

But I recall Matt Elliot making telling comments about Ropati needing confidence in the pre season trial games.
I suspect Coaches doubt whether NSW cup is the place to build confidence when it comes to senior players , rightly or wrongly.

Some of Elliots Media hyperbole about Ropati I suspect was for Ropati's ears not the fans.

Yeah, I'd say that would be a pretty good guess on your part.

I'm not sure if it is so much that he needs to build confidence more that he needs to get his body right. I'm sure he can become sharper than what he is right now through training and playing, I don't think it really matters what level he is playing at in terms of getting any of that acceleration back it's just that he needs constant game time to have chance.

Right now though, he is not up to NRL level and defences will continue to target him. Can you imagine if it were Hodges he was up against last night, what he would have done to him?

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Look at Hurrell with ball in hand though, he's a skillful passer, he is just a lot more coordinated than Manu. That's why I believe this is something he will rectify.

It's hard to see him with ball in hand - he normally drops it.

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

SomehowStillKeepingFaith

Three calls had a major effect on that game. Shaun Johnson kicks a 40/20 touchie calls it- slater says he's wrong and ref goes with slater- storm score off next set. Slater milks a penalty kicking out after godinet had already released him- refs sucked in again. Then they score off a blatant forward pass. Feel sorry for the boys tbh

Don't forget Perenara calling a knock on by Melbourne and the Chicken overruling him.[DOUBLEPOST=1366944541][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have re read what I posted last night and haven't changed my mind about anything. Some things noted I didn't comment on. The first is Locke not taking the high ball. There seemed to be a lack of communication between Laumape and Locke.

Statistics are like a slut, once you get them down you can do what you like with them.

Rapira, Matulino and Lillyman were great, I couldn't see any problem with Packer either, at the ground he seemed to be putting in.

The real difference was the last tackle plays, Storm were accurate and put pressure on, ours were too deep. I think it is time for Seijka for TL. His D is good but his lack of attack options and real passing skills is killing them.

Henry was good, Taylor I didn't notice other than in the warmup.

Mateo looked to be only going through the motions, there was no real intent in his running. Hello Vulcans.

Even the Storm supporters (these were ones booing anything the Warriors did) admitted the 40/20 decision was shit. One pointed out that Shaun Johnson was well behind the 40 and the Touchie raised his flag inside the 20 makes it fairly clearcut. They also reckoned that pass was forward. They admitted the Storm got out of jail. I disagreed, at the end of the day the Warriors let them out of jail. In any game the refs make less mistakes than the players.

There seems to be a play to have Hurrell take it up in the early tackles, a waste IMO, keep him wider running deep at backs, Storm backs had trouble containing him. I would persist with him.

IMO Ropati copping some criticism that should be directed at another prick who is Mateos size and appearance not numbering up forcing Ropati having to stay further in than he wanted. You could see him looking inside knowing what was going to happen but powerless to do anything, it left an overlap no matter what he and Laumape did. However, after that he is my pick to be replaced by Neilson next week (hopefully). I think he provides good injury cover.

My last word, until we can create pressure from tackle 1 to tacle 6 the Warriors will find it tough to close out games.

Agree locke/Laumape should never let bombs bounce - and they did it twice. TL lucky to get kickoff go our way after he let it bounce.
Stupid decision to take the 2 points. Ten minutes to go and we had Melbourne on the ropes. taking the kick just told them that we didn't back ourselves to score and the game was there's if they wanted it - guess what happened. Shame Fish wasn't on Tupou's wing for one of those passes when he was put into space, think Fish would have run away with it. Tupou also looked lost under the high ball, though not sure Fish would be any better. Having said that Tupou did his job in finishing a movement in the corner (and for once it wasn't a bowel movement).
Overall I'd say that with our shit completion rate we didn't deserve to win. Yes some would say that Warriors play best when they chance their arm, but league is still about using possession well, and we were woeful in that respect. I'm afraid the game had that inevitability about it. And again ... please move TL from standoff!!!![DOUBLEPOST=1366945724,1366943877][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yep i question Bells recruitment skills big time. Heard tonight on the box that Chambers is on the market for next year..wonder if the brains trust at Mt Smart are interested..

Still have a question mark over paying 700 grand a year for Sam Tompkins when centre is more of a need and guys like Chambers are out there.[DOUBLEPOST=1366946159][/DOUBLEPOST]
My team analysis for tonight:

1. Locke - Looked much more comfortable under the high ball tonight, finally got some support from blockers. Still needs to become more involved around the go forward ball and run off some offloads into the back field. Overall a solid game.

2. Tupou - A better game from him tonight, still has so many inconsistencies in his game where he'll play well one week and play horrible for the next 5 or 6 weeks. Hopefully tonight gives him the confidence he needs to produce quality performances more regularly.

3. Hurrell - Horrible night. His attacking potential isn't enough to cover the simple mistakes that he makes with his handling aswell as his horrible defensive reads. Must be sent to the Vulcans to work on his handling and defence.

4. Ropati - Off the pace completely. A real error of judgement from Elliot bringing him back into first grade after just one Vulcans outing. I really did feel sorry for him out there but he must be sent to NSW Cup also.

5. Laumape - I feel like he is wasted on the wing a bit. Moving him into the centres would bring out his best. Diddn't really have an opportunity to fire tonight and was given some horrible passes by Mateo and Leuluai.

6. Leuluai - Is not a halve, fullstop. He is a solid dummy half but nothing else. The sooner Godinet, Seijka, Tuimavave or even Locke are given a go there the better. Offers nothing in attack and his passing game is ineffective for a first grade five-eight.

7. Johnson - Outstanding! Was my choice for our man of the match award. His defence has come along from no where, something he has obviously worked on. However he has to work on his 5th tackle options, his bombs are always 10 metres too long.

8. Rapira - I thought he took on the captaincy quite maturely tonight. Would have loved to see him play more minutes out there as he was probably our most damaging and go forward prop out there.

9. Friend - Was again his soilder like tackle bot self. People say they want more from Friend in attack but I think he is doing a fine job at the moment. When Godinet gets on then the attacking option from dummy half comes.

10. Packer - What is this guy eating? Seriously, he looks at least 10kg overweight and his performances are suffering because of it. He needs to go on a diet and be dropped down to the Vulcans until he gets back to a sustainable weight. Would rather bring in an up and coming front rower in the mean time.

11. Mateo - His attitude really stinks. He needs to pull his head out of his arse big time and start working harder at training and at game time. I can really see him jumping ship when his contract expires, most likely off to the Dragons. In the mean time should be playing in the NSW Cup.

12. Henry - Was a stand out for me tonight. Great defensive game and is always around to grab a loose ball off 5th tackle cross field kicks. Would have been my man of the match had Johnson not had a better game. I would love to see him play in the centres however I see he is becoming a great back rower.

13. Lowrie - Another great defensive workload, does so much of the grunt work for the team and doesn't get recognised as much as he should for it. However I would love to see him develop another element to his game in attack instead of just running one out off the ruck.

14. Taylor - Diddn't recognise him at all during the game. I hate situations where players sign for other teams a year left in their current contract. All I can say is at least he is not playing the dummy half role anymore.

15. Lillyman - Should definitely be starting in my opinion over Packer. I don't think his game benefits from coming off the bench, he is a quality player hence why he was in the Queensland origin team a couple of years ago.

16. Matulino - Another one who should be starting every game. Has been the heart and soul of the Warriors the past 2 years and I struggle to understand why Elliot doesn't start his best front rowers each round. Had limited opportunities tonight but would be starting next week in my opinion.

17. Godinet - Struggled to find his spark that he has produced all year tonight. Got done by some Slater milking in the second half giving away a costly penalty and handing them great field position.

My team for next week against the Gold Coast: (Assuming players are back)

1. Locke
2. Tupou
3. Nielsen
4. Laumape
5. Vatuvei
6. Godinet
7. Johnson
8. Lillyman
9. Friend
10. Matulino
11. Henry
12. Mannering
13. Lowrie
14. Leuluai
15. Taylor
16. Rapira
17. Gubb

Agree with your assessment of the players, and your team except i would put Fish in place of Manu. Nielsen may still be out - is Peyroux an option in the centres against his old club?

Reactions: Sup42
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
We can talk until the cows come home about what Ropo has done during his time at the Warriors, on and off the field. I also don't blame him for giving it another crack given he is not yet 30. I have no doubt he's a true professional, and he seems like the sort of guy that'd be worth having around once his playing days are over. Even with all that in mind, I just cannot come to terms with how he's been re-introduced to first grade, both last year and this year. It's as though there's this blind hope that his character/experience etc etc will somehow make up for the obvious physical inadequacies he displays. He looked so far off the pace last night I almost felt sorry for him. Chambers is a good centre but he isn't Michael Jennings or Greg Inglis. I see no problem with a player that has been out of action for as long as he has, spending 10 games in the Vulcans until a) he's match fit and b) He proves he can actually dominate at a reserve grade level. But he hasn't done that, he's had a patchy start to the season and hasn't been playing 80 mins of football regularly for the past couple of months.

I just don't get it, and the game in which he was thrown in also seems the oddest choice.

Sir Bluey

Sir Bluey

We can talk until the cows come home about what Ropo has done during his time at the Warriors, on and off the field. I also don't blame him for giving it another crack given he is not yet 30. I have no doubt he's a true professional, and he seems like the sort of guy that'd be worth having around once his playing days are over. Even with all that in mind, I just cannot come to terms with how he's been re-introduced to first grade, both last year and this year. It's as though there's this blind hope that his character/experience etc etc will somehow make up for the obvious physical inadequacies he displays. He looked so far off the pace last night I almost felt sorry for him. Chambers is a good centre but he isn't Michael Jennings or Greg Inglis. I see no problem with a player that has been out of action for as long as he has, spending 10 games in the Vulcans until a) he's match fit and b) He proves he can actually dominate at a reserve grade level. But he hasn't done that, he's had a patchy start to the season and hasn't been playing 80 mins of football regularly for the past couple of months.

I just don't get it, and the game in which he was thrown in also seems the oddest choice.

I heard it was to communicate with a young backline...he forgot to tell himself what to do! Ropa dope!

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Just watched the Replay.

Can understand the fan angst BUT WHAT A GAME !!!!! pretty proud of the Warriors team efforts , individual lapses aside.

Kept a close eye on Ropati , yep he got scorched by a better Center , but Ropati also had a mini revival in the Middle forty of that game , he reads the game seriously pro , foot speed let him down....wot to do wot to do....he shut down a number of the storm movements twenty minutes either side of half time.

Laumape looked a bit lost , too much chopping and changing him around it's not surprising.

Bills a little champion, he's looking inside for the ball all the time and contesting everything in the air, I love that guys attitude, we just don't seem to get those ingredients in the physically more talented players.

Martel is all crap.

Ok so we gave two top four sides a run for their money for seventy minutes , there is something to be worked on there and we have to find a way of over coming the Reffs insecurities when we lead against teams that in their minds should be in front....this year we are copping a hiding from the Whistle blowers at the end of games. Safe Footy might be the only way to win in the Last ten, it sucks to have to shut up shop and go into a defensive mindset , but I can't see any other way to win. Union style cycle it through the forwards ....my bad some of the worst ball droppers are there[DOUBLEPOST=1366947199][/DOUBLEPOST]oh yeah and TL is killing one half of the attack line.

He hesitates with the ball in hand , his timing is lousy , he has to let it go sooner or be pulled from the halves.

janfin

janfin

Mmmm Wonder what sort of $'s Mate is hanging out for re contract It seems to me that his value his dropping with each game Packer look's like he eating non stop and looks so unfit Time for him to go as well Ropo has a job lined up within the Warriors I think maybe he should start it earlier TL can just go back to England

Reactions: Sup42
mrblonde

mrblonde

Thought for the day: Have we ever had a good recruit from Parramatta other than P J Marsh - who was obviously cruelled by injuries?