Post Match Rd 7: Storm Beat Warriors In Thriller

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Ropati ran more metres then Packer!!!
and he made less tackles, missed more tackles, played 80 mins vs packers.... like I said if all you are judging our pack on is individual run metres then perhaps we should move Shaun Johnson, Laumape and Tupou to prop. You love your stats Mt Wellington, you know if you only look at one particular category they dont tell the whole picture. Its like saying Mateo had an awesome attacking game tonight because he had 3 offloads.

ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
and he made less tackles, missed more tackles, played 80 mins vs packers.... like I said if all you are judging our pack on is individual run metres then perhaps we should move Shaun Johnson, Laumape and Tupou to prop. You love your stats Mt Wellington, you know if you only look at one particular category they dont tell the whole picture. Its like saying Mateo had an awesome attacking game tonight because he had 3 offloads.

I'm getting the impression you don't really follow nrl stats, or what's considered par for a prop. Packer's stats are pathetic for a prop, no excuses.[DOUBLEPOST=1366900414,1366900123][/DOUBLEPOST]I'll go a step further, as someone that follows the workrates of all props in the game, 4 runs in 33 minutes is horrendous. Especially for a player that has been around as long as he has. He looks fat, he looks unfit, and without a couple of good starts off kick offs to get his metres up, his run metres would be even worse. Props like Ben Hannant, Aaron Woods, Fifita and a few other guys often have more runs and metres inside the first 10-15 mins of a game, I shit you not. Packer, go back to the gym, or the biggest loser house...just get the fuck off the field, George Rose the second.

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
I'm getting the impression you don't really follow nrl stats, or what's considered par for a prop. Packer's stats are pathetic for a prop, no excuses.
I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion from what I have provided?
i think you and others miss my point. My original statement was that I thought our pack went ok, so sure you can single out individual performances and say no they didnt, but i can also show similar stats for some of the Melbourne forwards. Does that mean their pack didnt go ok either? So both our packs didnt go ok? And comparing a centre who plays 80 mins in more space to a prop who plays limited minutes and is in tight? come on? Our pack wasnt the reason we lost this game.[DOUBLEPOST=1366900793][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm getting the impression you don't really follow nrl stats, or what's considered par for a prop. Packer's stats are pathetic for a prop, no excuses.[DOUBLEPOST=1366900414,1366900123][/DOUBLEPOST]I'll go a step further, as someone that follows the workrates of all props in the game, 4 runs in 33 minutes is horrendous. Especially for a player that has been around as long as he has. He looks fat, he looks unfit, and without a couple of good starts off kick offs to get his metres up, his run metres would be even worse. Props like Ben Hannant, Aaron Woods, Fifita and a few other guys often have more runs and metres inside the first 10-15 mins of a game, I shit you not. Packer, go back to the gym, or the biggest loser house...just get the fuck off the field, George Rose the second.
take as many steps as you like. again, taking one players stats for one category in isolation does not refute my original point that I think our pack, as a whole, went ok.

koolkat

koolkat

Man Matt has a great way with the media, Positives, playing entertaining footy for 70 minutes wanting to chance your arm Locke with no strapping on his thigh,and he and Shaun running with freedom.Shaun Johnson,Henry,Locke all stand outs IMO.couldn't split them for warriors player of the night, definite step in the right direction but that perfect game and another win aludes us.if we play every game like we played tonight we are going to scare a few teams
Negatives, playing with an under strength patch work paper mâché back line for the seventh week in a row don't like blaming coaches after a close loss but,Matt has too shoulder some of the blame Jro at centre is his second blunder,first being Elijah Taylor at hooker.we all saw how well fish played for Tonga on the weekend and that's in a rep game not a NSW cup game,for me he was a certian starter for this game.but Matt went down the broken down nag route and it cost us.as did the silly mistakes and the dumb penalties.but the selection of jro was the biggest catalyst for this loss.disappointments, MATEO!!,TL,JRO

Matt Elliot's press conferences are so good it's like listening too a well tuned Harley parked in the drive, compared too blueys his just sounded like fingers on a chalk board.even with are shit record I do think we have the right man in the job he can and is improving this team

Reactions: Xfactor and Sup42
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
i think you and others miss my point. My original statement was that I thought our pack went ok, so sure you can single out individual performances and say no they didnt, but i can also show similar stats for some of the Melbourne forwards. Does that mean their pack didnt go ok either? So both our packs didnt go ok? And comparing a centre who plays 80 mins in more space to a prop who plays limited minutes and is in tight? come on? Our pack wasnt the reason we lost this game.[DOUBLEPOST=1366900793][/DOUBLEPOST]
take as many steps as you like. again, taking one players stats for one category in isolation does not refute my original point that I think our pack, as a whole, went ok.

They went...okay. Yay? Wasn't that meant to be the one area where we could have possibly applied some pressure. The Storm have one of the least dominant packs in the competition. They're built to absorb tackles and share the workload. There's not one side that would head into a Storm clash worried about losing the forward battle. Our forwards as a whole may have gone okay, but Packer as a starting prop...was shithouse. Just because the rest of them may have combined to resemble an average NRL forward pack doesn't mean you can dismiss individual performances. His stats reflect his performance, which was far from adequate.

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
They went...okay. Yay? Wasn't that meant to be the one area where we could have possibly applied some pressure. The Storm have one of the least dominant packs in the competition. They're built to absorb tackles and share the workload. There's not one side that would head into a Storm clash worried about losing the forward battle. Our forwards as a whole may have gone okay, but Packer as a starting prop...was shithouse. Just because the rest of them may have combined to resemble an average NRL forward pack doesn't mean you can dismiss individual performances. His stats reflect his performance, which was far from adequate.
again, you are missing the point. I am not dismissing individual performances. I get it, you dont rate packer, rightly or wrongly. All I said was our pack went ok. Was it an area we possibly could have applied some pressure? How many run meters have the storm conceded per game so far this year? How many more metres per game do the storm get over thier opposition so far this year? I certainly dont think they are a walk over pack and I'm surprised you seem to think so. Thier results and STATS would suggets otherwise

Warriors95

My team analysis for tonight:

1. Locke - Looked much more comfortable under the high ball tonight, finally got some support from blockers. Still needs to become more involved around the go forward ball and run off some offloads into the back field. Overall a solid game.

2. Tupou - A better game from him tonight, still has so many inconsistencies in his game where he'll play well one week and play horrible for the next 5 or 6 weeks. Hopefully tonight gives him the confidence he needs to produce quality performances more regularly.

3. Hurrell - Horrible night. His attacking potential isn't enough to cover the simple mistakes that he makes with his handling aswell as his horrible defensive reads. Must be sent to the Vulcans to work on his handling and defence.

4. Ropati - Off the pace completely. A real error of judgement from Elliot bringing him back into first grade after just one Vulcans outing. I really did feel sorry for him out there but he must be sent to NSW Cup also.

5. Laumape - I feel like he is wasted on the wing a bit. Moving him into the centres would bring out his best. Diddn't really have an opportunity to fire tonight and was given some horrible passes by Mateo and Leuluai.

6. Leuluai - Is not a halve, fullstop. He is a solid dummy half but nothing else. The sooner Godinet, Seijka, Tuimavave or even Locke are given a go there the better. Offers nothing in attack and his passing game is ineffective for a first grade five-eight.

7. Johnson - Outstanding! Was my choice for our man of the match award. His defence has come along from no where, something he has obviously worked on. However he has to work on his 5th tackle options, his bombs are always 10 metres too long.

8. Rapira - I thought he took on the captaincy quite maturely tonight. Would have loved to see him play more minutes out there as he was probably our most damaging and go forward prop out there.

9. Friend - Was again his soilder like tackle bot self. People say they want more from Friend in attack but I think he is doing a fine job at the moment. When Godinet gets on then the attacking option from dummy half comes.

10. Packer - What is this guy eating? Seriously, he looks at least 10kg overweight and his performances are suffering because of it. He needs to go on a diet and be dropped down to the Vulcans until he gets back to a sustainable weight. Would rather bring in an up and coming front rower in the mean time.

11. Mateo - His attitude really stinks. He needs to pull his head out of his arse big time and start working harder at training and at game time. I can really see him jumping ship when his contract expires, most likely off to the Dragons. In the mean time should be playing in the NSW Cup.

12. Henry - Was a stand out for me tonight. Great defensive game and is always around to grab a loose ball off 5th tackle cross field kicks. Would have been my man of the match had Johnson not had a better game. I would love to see him play in the centres however I see he is becoming a great back rower.

13. Lowrie - Another great defensive workload, does so much of the grunt work for the team and doesn't get recognised as much as he should for it. However I would love to see him develop another element to his game in attack instead of just running one out off the ruck.

14. Taylor - Diddn't recognise him at all during the game. I hate situations where players sign for other teams a year left in their current contract. All I can say is at least he is not playing the dummy half role anymore.

15. Lillyman - Should definitely be starting in my opinion over Packer. I don't think his game benefits from coming off the bench, he is a quality player hence why he was in the Queensland origin team a couple of years ago.

16. Matulino - Another one who should be starting every game. Has been the heart and soul of the Warriors the past 2 years and I struggle to understand why Elliot doesn't start his best front rowers each round. Had limited opportunities tonight but would be starting next week in my opinion.

17. Godinet - Struggled to find his spark that he has produced all year tonight. Got done by some Slater milking in the second half giving away a costly penalty and handing them great field position.

My team for next week against the Gold Coast: (Assuming players are back)

1. Locke
2. Tupou
3. Nielsen
4. Laumape
5. Vatuvei
6. Godinet
7. Johnson
8. Lillyman
9. Friend
10. Matulino
11. Henry
12. Mannering
13. Lowrie
14. Leuluai
15. Taylor
16. Rapira
17. Gubb

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
again, you are missing the point. I am not dismissing individual performances. I get it, you dont rate packer, rightly or wrongly. All I said was our pack went ok. Was it an area we possibly could have applied some pressure? How many run meters have the storm conceded per game so far this year? How many more metres per game do the storm get over thier opposition so far this year? I certainly dont think they are a walk over pack and I'm surprised you seem to think so. Thier results and STATS would suggets otherwise
in fact, I'll go a step further, they have played and beaten the dragons, cowboys, bulldogs, broncos (including Ben Hannant), tigers, souths and us. None of those forward packs have dominated the storm either.

ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
in fact, I'll go a step further, they have played and beaten the dragons, cowboys, bulldogs, broncos (including Ben Hannant), tigers, souths and us. None of those forward packs have dominated the storm either.

I'm talking about an individual.

And I never said I thought they were a 'walk over pack', stop quoting yourself instead of me.

My point is re Packer, I also never said I 'didn't rate him'. I've been a supporter of his for years, at present however, he's one of the fattest players running around. His performances and stats also suggest he isn't in the sort of physical shape he needs to be in. If your point was never re Packer as an individual then there's no issue, sure...our pack as a whole went okay, and that's about it.

Sebastian

Sebastian

nope, he was very honest. 1. we have problems in the last 10-20mins.individual errors costing us 2. refs calls have gone against us. he got asked if he thinks the warriors get more than thier fair share of bad calls. Elliott said' ask the refs boss, he's an ex warriors coach, see what he says, i'd be very interested' LMFAO :hilarious:

He actually got asked is the Warriors treatment by the refs personal. To which he replied ask the ref's boss yourself, he's an ex Warriors coach. I'd be very interested in his answer.

So would we all Matt. Amen to that.

Usually we save those meetings for finals game's or games critical to our season. Like Ivan did after we got shafted in that Tigers Semi. But with our season on the line in these next six games. IMO, it would well be worth a trip to Sydney to meet with Daniel. God knows Bellamy would be on the moblie straight away if the shoe was on the other foot.

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Why the fuck is Sup bagging Manu he wasn't even at the game, did he steal sups lollie or something?
Point taken.
I listed Mannering as well as a bunch of other players with high error rates at the moment and asked the Question about whether they should all leave ( rather impolitely ).

I do wear the heart on the sleeve at times gREVUS, gets the better of me, some other twits on here just as passionate go quietly mental in their love hate relationships with some players too.

But as you say It doesn't belong in the post game thread when the guy wasn't even on the ROster LOL

Reactions: gREVUS and Est95
Jay M

Jay M

Contributor
Ha, look ive been livid with Hurrell this season so im not a fanboy sticking up for him with no facts but I stand by the fact that I dont think he was as bad as the stats would say and I just knew ppl would rag on his drop balls when I honestly dont think it was his fault entirely.

I noticed four errors from Hurrell. Two of them, the pass from the dummy half (who was Johnson) and one the inside player - were not Hurrell's fault. He was running at pace to make an impact when he hit it, one of the passes was bullet passed into his shoulder, the other was passed behind him (if I recall correctly)... So I wouldn't criticise him for those two...

But generally yes, he makes far too many errors, and drops too many balls...

Reactions: Defence and Sup42
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
I noticed four errors from Hurrell. Two of them, the pass from the dummy half (who was Johnson) and one the inside player - were not Hurrell's fault. He was running at pace to make an impact when he hit it, one of the passes was bullet passed into his shoulder, the other was passed behind him (if I recall correctly)... So I wouldn't criticise him for those two...

But generally yes, he makes far too many errors, and drops too many balls...
Johnsons passing is shocking. Mainly the inconsistent stuff / inaccurate.
He also has a habit of forcing players to catch the ball at face or above head height.

In the test Johnson put on some beautiful short balls off the hip....which would be why he's half back and not a stand off i guess....can't pass long / time it right.

Bugger I wanted Johnson at 6....might have to re think[DOUBLEPOST=1366914610,1366913308][/DOUBLEPOST]What about Martel throwing horrible balls to Laumape then going over and patting him on the back of the neck ( I'd be tempted to Say don't touch me man it might be catchy )
I hope Laumapes classic Warriors style mix and match intro to the NRL and the poor execution from his team mates doesn't dissolve the form he's been in.
Godinet may have lost form too. Fish chopping and changing could have the same effect (speculative he was gold the other night). That's pretty much been the trio of form backs this year to date....Johnson is now kicking up a gear.
Hurrell as others have pointed out has been miss firing with some pretty shitty service and just a lack of experience to be fair.

In the Forwards we're not looking too bad , same contributors are holding steady , Fatty Packer will get fitter over the season with injury free training.

On the other hand Mateo is bad news.

Are we hoping to resign him cheap by letting him play ( thus killing off any rival bids ) ?
Cunning old Warriors aye

Mannering will be enjoying his break....I keep wondering why Elliot held an election for him as captain pre season.

Reactions: Hitman82 and Jay M
Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

I am. As a pack. They did what was required.

Not sure thats entirely accurate. our pack v their pack numbers are fairly similar in total. Sure, individuals may not have run for the 'magical' 100m mark but thats not the be all and end all when talking about performance in the game.

Yeah normally i'm bemoaning the lack of metres from the boppas (for some reason they do seem to run less yards than other sides), but last night it was clearly a tactical plan of spreading that ball in our half cause the storm are just too good at dominating the ruck up the middle, and yards made on the edges. So in this case you have to take in context as well. Worked to some extent also.

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
I'm talking about an individual.

And I never said I thought they were a 'walk over pack', stop quoting yourself instead of me.

My point is re Packer, I also never said I 'didn't rate him'. I've been a supporter of his for years, at present however, he's one of the fattest players running around. His performances and stats also suggest he isn't in the sort of physical shape he needs to be in. If your point was never re Packer as an individual then there's no issue, sure...our pack as a whole went okay, and that's about it.
lol, sorry, when you say least dominant pack, all I am pointing out was they haven't been dominated by any pack they have played thus far this season. I'm glad, at the end of all that, You agree with me. :)

Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

Thoughts on Mannering being out? I honestly thought Henry was an improvement...
I like Mannering a lot, but don't think we missed him out there. Might well and truly be a sign that he needs to head in-field and remdoel himself as a hard-running, effective tackling lock and start preparing for a shift into prop in a few years.[DOUBLEPOST=1366917858][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ropati appeared to be left exposed by someone inside not numbering up, maybe Mateo. He wanted to go wider but couldn't leave the inside gap. I thought he went OK and seemed to take good options.
I noticed this on the second Chambers try - either Mateo is faffing about further in than he needs to be, or it's a case of when he's involved in a tackle, there's nobody moving across to take his place in the line.

Anyone else look at Koni's big damn-I-dropped-the-ball-again grimace/smiles and thought "Fuck me, Manu's his mentor, alright."

Reactions: Est95 and Hitman82
greenie

greenie

I chose Locke as I thought he had a quite good game until about 15 mins from the end when he became timid all of a sudden. He looked like a guy who knew something was coming from England.

Nahz

agree & i fail to see how a bicep injury would hamper one from keeping in shape via cardio on the bike,etc etc etc or other appropriate methods,he obviously spent that time lacking in dicipline when it came to his diet

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
agree & i fail to see how a bicep injury would hamper one from keeping in shape via cardio on the bike,etc etc etc or other appropriate methods,he obviously spent that time lacking in dicipline when it came to his diet
No doubt, he does look fat and unfit, though as a fourth prop in a rotation his numbers are not dissimilar to other teams.