Post Match Rd 17: Rabbitohs Beat Warriors 30-13

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters

Far Away Fan

What a funny statement this is!!! Your saying he was lucky NOT to give a penalty away! Just becuase you don't like him does not mean you should wish bad things to happen. Your implying that any tackle he makes or attempts to make is *very* likely to result in a penalty....

Its like me saying that everytime the oppo attack down Hurrel's side they look like scoring....oh wait....

I made no such implication.

But hang on a minute, any criticism of Lowrie nowadays comes because someone doesn't like him? No-one can point something out now in case you say it's because they don't like whoever it is they're faulting?[DOUBLEPOST=1373498322][/DOUBLEPOST]Phil Gould in praise of the Warriors in the SMH:

<<< 5. Warriors outstanding – The Rabbitohs were better
For the second week in a row the New Zealand Warriors have been significant contributors to a brilliant game of rugby league. They were outstanding in the first half against South Sydney and really had the competition leaders rocking. If the half-time break had not come when it did, I'm not so sure Souths were going to get out of the bind they were in. In the second half though, the Rabbitohs showed exactly why they are the team to beat in 2013. The found their composure, trusted their game and pulled away in the end for a stunning victory. I suggest coach Michael Maguire would've been happier with that second 40 minutes of football than any other the Rabbitohs have produced this season. I definitely sensed a premiership as they went about disposing of a quality Warriors team. The New Zealand side showed again that they are a top five side in this competition. It was a tremendous game. >>>

https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...ess-steeped-in-subterfuge-20130709-2pomf.html

Reactions: 2 users
I made no such implication.

But hang on a minute, any criticism of Lowrie nowadays comes because someone doesn't like him? No-one can point something out now in case you say it's because they don't like whoever it is they're faulting?

Criticism of any player is ok as long as it is fair. For starters Lowrie was a knob the other week when he gave away silly penalties and missed an easy tackle for the oppo to score(Roosters I think). But to fault him for almost giving away a penalty is not fair, is it?

Reactions: 1 users
My problem with Lowrie isn't personal. I think he's a pretty good lock, but a lock is all he is. It's not his fault he gets selected, he's a victim of Taylor playing really well at lock. My problem is that his selection messes up the back row whenever he's on. Mannering, Lowrie and Taylor all on the field at the same time - how is this a good idea for 50+ mins? It has been alright recently because Taylor is playing a decent attacking 13 and Mannering seems to be learning how to pass, but really at the end of the day all 3 of them are defensive players. The real issue is that while Lowrie is a defensive player, he's not a Nigel Plum like assassin. He makes a lot of tackles but he's rarely dominant, and he certainly doesn't make up for it with any attacking prowess.

The argument that he has won a GF is hilarious to me. The amount of players who have left the Storm and gone on to be less than stellar is fairly lengthy and it gets longer every season. If Bellamy thought Lowrie was vital (or even a just a little useful) to the side there is no way he would have been let go. The Storm keep the players they need, and look at what losing Lowrie, amongst others, has done to their placing on the ladder. There are plenty of average players in the Storm; winning a premiership doesn't make them world class talents.

At the end of the day, Lowries selection is only part of the problem. Elliots use of the bench is baffling to me. First half is great, and it shows. Second half we're playing with the most fucked up dynamic going on. Why won't he use Gubb/Matagi/Packer more than once? Why does Lowrie get such lengthy spells? Personally I would have thought it'd be in our best interests to keep the propping rotation as consistent as possible, like Cleary used to do. Mutts/Packer or Rapira/Lillyman on the field - always.

Reactions: 6 users
Firstly want to congratulate the boys on a valiant run of games, 5 straight and an honourable loss to the top team.

Positives: Charlie Gubb- Played effective minutes on debut bar his handling error, seems to have abit of matulino in his game (potentially)

Laumape: He never ceases to amaze me, i have never seen a rookie warriors junior look so reliable and safe in all my time watching this team, jst praise him for his aerial diffusion and hitups.

First Half: A great first half, to absorb the pressure souths gave plus score 2 quality tries was great, our covering d was great and really good scramble from all the players.

Nathan Friend: If there was a bigger hooker that did the same amount of work as friend id pick him up in an instant, friend is just amazing, i didnt use to like the guy but would be willing now to extend his contract.

Negatives:

Locke: I dont think Locke has the body type to play fullback anymore nore the blistering pace, we all thought fish had no heart in him but he has changed and now we have to say fish is the in form fullback. Locke isnt a threat on the out the back plays, he hasnt got much support game, and doesnt have the strength on kick returns to get us going. He may need to shift in to the halves like lockyer did.

Lowrie: I watched the Sterlo show of Elliott being micd up for the roosters game. In it when todd passed the footie to fishiahi for the try you could hear elliott say well done todd in a favouritist type way, when i heard it you could sense that they were buddies and todd is probably close to elliott hence elliott keeps selecting him based on friendship. He just isnt needed nor does he bring anything to this team and its structure.

Rotation: I think elliott overthought it and considering travel and the size of the opponent, more interchasnges and size was needed, i wouldve had matagi in for lowrie and played mateo way more minutes, the just wasnt enough punch.

Manu: Manu was sorely missed on the aerial option and the extra attacking threat. also carries coming otu of the half but laumape did his best and even manu wouldnt have taken some of the balls laumape did.

overall happy with the boys efforts.

Is there any way we can keep Friend at 9 and TL at 6 next season? I was a big disbeliever of TL playing 6 at the start of this season, thought we had bought a dud but Tommy has made a believer out of me in the 6 jersey. And next season we want to move him to 9?! And totally agree, Lowrie brings nothing to the table. If you're not making the Warriors a better side by being on the field you shouldn't be there.

Reactions: 1 user
I am going to throw a spanner in the works here and become even more unpopular...

I thought Lowrie had one of his better games on Sunday.

Does he break tackles - No.
Does he produce offloads - No.

Is he solid in defence - yes!
Did he give away any penalties - No(none that I could remember mind you!)

He is a Michael Luck clone, Luck was useless on attack and got smashed everytime, however he was selected for his tackling, and that is why we signed Lowrie, for his defence and not his attack.

I think Taylor was really quiet on Sunday and looked out of sorts.

MOM:

3: TL - starting to look good.
2: Hurrell - best attacking centre in the game and his defence is improving
1: Friend - good on defence

On Locke, he should be going for evert bomb, which he is not and he does not seem to be around for any offloads/2nd phase play, however it was a good effort to stop the man freaks which are inglis and S Burgess one on one.

I just hope we don't go back to pre-penrith as they have shown what they are capable of now and given us fans hope.

Saying Lowrie had one of his better games is like saying Ed Sherran played one of his better songs. Shit is still shit, even if it's better shit than he's given before.[DOUBLEPOST=1373529989][/DOUBLEPOST]
Lies? Link me to videos of his missed tackles ;)

Isn't tackling bread and butter for NRL players? If they can't tackle they shouldn't be playing the game (sorry Shaun Johnson). But what does Lowrie bring apart from the ability to do what any NRL player should be able to do?

The way i see it. And i have watched a few of their games. Is their forwards/big men barge up the middle creating the overlap for them. Instead of it being good creative play.

Ummmm so their big men dominate the middle providing go forward and creating space and time for their quick outside backs to run in tries... and what????

I was gutted that we lost too bro but credit where its due you don't get to the top in the NRL by being an 'average' team and they're out front by a mile I've seen most of their games too, mostly to watch Greg Inglis do his shit and there about as ' creative ' as any other team in the NRL.

Saying Lowrie had one of his better games is like saying Ed Sherran played one of his better songs. Shit is still shit, even if it's better shit than he's given before.[DOUBLEPOST=1373529989][/DOUBLEPOST]

Isn't tackling bread and butter for NRL players? If they can't tackle they shouldn't be playing the game (sorry Shaun Johnson). But what does Lowrie bring apart from the ability to do what any NRL player should be able to do?

His defensive stats were good, not just average. I'm not a Lowrie fan, but the poster calling him a piece of shit after one of his better games was obviously going full retard. Hence why I commented. Lowrie is a good lock, not a bench player, not a second rower. He's being used in the wrong way.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Rabbits vs Warriors Rnd 17 2013 match stat.png
Rabbits vs Warriors Rnd 17 2013 player stats.png

Biggest surprises for me out of that are Gubb getting 86m in 24mins and Fish getting 155m overall. I knew Gubb was active, but man those are good stats for his time. I didn't see Fish being as busy as his stats say, I'd be interested in knowing his total runs.

The argument that he has won a GF is hilarious to me.

I am trying to point out that people say he is shit and is only worthy of NSW Cup, which is not actually fair to guy. He is not an off loading lock/second rower, He is a tackling lock.

We can't all have lumbering props and flashy off loading 2nd rowers in our team, we need grafters as well. Lowrie needs to play lock and maybe play the whole game? I would rather Marquee off the bench trying to offload than bring on a tackle bot. If I was the coach, the bench would be for impact players only, which Lowrie is not.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
His defensive stats were good, not just average. I'm not a Lowrie fan, but the poster calling him a piece of shit after one of his better games was obviously going full retard. Hence why I commented. Lowrie is a good lock, not a bench player, not a second rower. He's being used in the wrong way.
Compare Lowrie and Mannerings stats. For minutes played he did quite well...

Biggest surprises for me out of that are Gubb getting 86m in 24mins and Fish getting 155m overall. I knew Gubb was active, but man those are good stats for his time. I didn't see Fish being as busy as his stats say, I'd be interested in knowing his total runs.
Glen Fisiiahi Rnd 17 2013.png

Ummmm so their big men dominate the middle providing go forward and creating space and time for their quick outside backs to run in tries... and what????

I was gutted that we lost too bro but credit where its due you don't get to the top in the NRL by being an 'average' team and they're out front by a mile I've seen most of their games too, mostly to watch Greg Inglis do his shit and there about as ' creative ' as any other team in the NRL.

And nothing. Really. I'm just commenting in general that teams in the past who have been in first position. Have generally been more flash. Than a Souths team who in my opinion. Rely on their big men more than most. That's all. Reynolds has a killer kicking game. But lets be real he ain't no Thurston who can create something out of nothing. Just my opinion. No need to get cut up about it.

And nothing. Really. I'm just commenting in general that teams in the past who have been in first position. Have generally been more flash. Than a Souths team who in my opinion. Rely on their big men more than most. That's all. Reynolds has a killer kicking game. But lets be real he ain't no Thurston who can create something out of nothing. Just my opinion. No need to get cut up about it.

come on bro Im far from cut up, its no drama just curious is all because we all like different playing styles was wondering what yours was, some people don't like Manlys aggressive, defensive grinding game and find it dull, and as good as the Storm are I've often found their overly structured game bores me too tears sometimes where as others love it...so we good hahaha?

Agree with you on Reynolds he's no Thurston but then who is.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Split all the main stats I follow into their respective halves. Green highlight is either teams best half. Notice a pattern?

Rabbits vs Warriors Rnd 17 2013 half time match stat.png
Got to hand it to the Rabbitohs. Not sure what Maguire said at halftime but they really turned it up in the 2nd half and improved on all their 1st half stats bar the error rate. The Warriors on the other hand...​

Split all the main stats I follow into their respective halves. Green highlight is either teams best half. Notice a pattern?

Got to hand it to the Rabbitohs. Not sure what Maguire said at halftime but they really turned it up in the 2nd half and improved on all their 1st half stats bar the error rate. The Warriors on the other hand...

Do you think it was as simple as our bench eventually being eroded by theirs? What happened in your opinion Mt. W? Souths simply played better? Or our lack of size on the bench cost us in the end?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Do you think it was as simple as our bench eventually being eroded by theirs? What happened in your opinion Mt. W? Souths simply played better? Or our lack of size on the bench cost us in the end?
Cant bring myself to watch the replay but from drunken memory I just remember the Burgess bros running all over us straight down the middle. I remember one set the Rabbits made 78m up to the 5th tackle! Then of course Reynolds makes a perfect last tackle kick. They were making metres at will that half.

We have had a big problem bringing down the bigger boys all season like Sam Moa, FPN, Thaiday, Fifita, etc They are being allowed to stand in the tackle and offload, leg drive or just simply run over the top of us. We have been saved lately by our mad scrambling defence but its not a tactic thats ideal or sustainable IMO...

Reactions: 7 users

Got to hand it to the Rabbitohs. Not sure what Maguire said at halftime but they really turned it up in the 2nd half and improved on all their 1st half stats bar the error rate. The Warriors on the other hand...​

I would also say our lack of ball in the 2nd half killed us as well. We did a lot of defending.

I must say I've been fairly underwhelmed by Todd Lowrie , hasn't really stamped his mark this season, has shown patches of form but not enough for my liking.

I wasn't expecting much considering he was a Storm bench regular and I wasn't expecting him to be our Micheal Luck but I thought he would have added more then he has, more hole running , defensive stability, even basic double rounds or link play, at times he seems like a lost soul giving away boofhead penalties and running into trees.

I guess my expectations were based on the back of him winning a premiership but he hasn't really contributed as he could.

Elijah Taylor snatched that 13 jersey and hasn't looked back since, Taylor has almost lived up to that billing of 'marquee player' with a string of outstanding games, with the season nearing the important stages it will be hard for Lowrie to reclaim that jersey off Taylor. Lowrie needs to up his contribution and show some guidance and leadership from the bench as he did with the Storm, he knows what it takes to get the job done in terms of winning premierships now he has to transfer some of that knowledge to our boys and especially on the paddock.