Post Match Rd 14: Warriors Beat Roosters!

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
I hate to think what would happen with consecutive 2012's. There is a balance to be struck for sure. We are not going to keep everyone.

I reckon the balance is there right now, it can be improved upon though but that can happen within the club, like I keep harping on, some proven Journeymen would be awesome, although a big play at O'meley would have been nice IMO.

Reactions: Hitman82

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
00075972-Photo.JPG
00075969-Photo.JPG
00075970-Photo.JPG
00075975-Photo.JPG
00075977-Photo.JPG
00075978-Photo.JPG
1043881_592051937505870_166038031_n.jpg

Off the Warriors website. Big Gee Gee flying the flag for the boys in Sydney...

https://www.warriors.co.nz/photogallerydisplay/Members-Sydney-Function-Gallery/5426

Watching the replay when Konrad Hurrell drives Mini over the dead ball line " takes him for a test drive " as the commentators called it......." we talk about his power on attack what about that in defence "

Something odd happens as a shoulders puffed up teenage Hurrell quietly strolls towards his Captain , there's no acknowlegement

Nathan Freind jogs over and gives the kid a low five.

I don't think Simons all there in the head these days , not critising him , its little wonder with the hell the teams put him through.

But he's gotta start letting Hurrell know that's what we want from you mate

Hurrell quietly strolls past his Captain , there's no acknowlegement

I remember seeing that at the time, and I was thinking what's going on... normally when someone earns a repeat set, people are giving high fives, pats on the head etc, Mannering was next man there and didn't say/do anything...

Mateo and/or Manu (if I recall correctly) jogged over from the other side of the field...

If Mannering's head isn't in it at the moment - (and this could reignite the captaincy debate) - maybe it is time for a new one?

Reactions: Sup42
What disappointed me about Mannering not acknowledging Hurrell is firstly, Hurrell is a confidence player - when his confidence is up, his whole game changes. Secondly, that whole game was built on the sort of sustained, and sometimes specular, defensive work put in by the likes of Hurrell pressuring Mini, Fish's knockdown of the ball from SKD, cutting down (most of the time) the space SBW had to work in, Johnson's tackle on Jennings, the defusing of bombs and grubbers by both Nga and Fish and Manu's pressure on SKD & getting his foot (probably more good luck than good management) in the right place when SKD tried his grubber. It was that pressure, and not our attack, that won us the game. I don't usually single out Simon's captaincy, but that especially was one time he needed to acknowledge right then and there on the field the effort one of his team had put in.

Since it turns out Mannering is not really supposed to do the huddle chat thing what does that leave ?

On feild inspiration

Approaching Reffs

Media work

Commitment to the club off the feild

Feleti Mateo ?

Reactions: OMG and Jay M
Yeah there is something wrong.

Check out the body language in the Half time dressing sheds.

Simon is the only one with his head down.

Elliot Let the players pick him.

I thought Elliot was another Blue Ivan till he let Bill the nice guy tries hard Tupou go in the better interest of the future.

We're all asuming Bukuya is a straight swap for Taylor....................

Yeah there is something wrong.

Check out the body language in the Half time dressing sheds.

Simon is the only one with his head down.

Elliot Let the players pick him.

I thought Elliot was another Blue Ivan till he let Bill the nice guy tries hard Tupou go in the better interest of the future.

We're all asuming Bukuya is a straight swap for Taylor....................

Your implication is too subtle for me?

Your implication is too subtle for me?
Well Elliots a big Ben Henry Fan. There are the Lousi Brothers in the Background , Elliot has shown himself to be not too afraid to release hard working types for excitement players.

Nathan Friend is a bit of a surprise, he's a performer. Tries hard.

Tupou was a shock ( as far as miss judging the kind of guy Elliot seemed at first ) Tries hard.

Simon Mannering is a fellah who is Captain because he tries hard .......in that ball running hard tackling secound rower role Bukuya could be a threat to Mannerings spot in the team.

It's probably not even worth a secound thought........but then of all our players in the backline bar Johnson.....Locke would never have imagined the new coach would look to bring in competition for the fullback spot ( Tompkins )

I guess I'm saying we can't really asume anyone is safe anymore ( Elliots accountability / problem with the DNA speech ).

Reactions: Freddie Futler
Since it turns out Mannering is not really supposed to do the huddle chat thing what does that leave ?

On feild inspiration

Approaching Reffs

Media work

Commitment to the club off the feild

Feleti Mateo ?
personally i dont care if mannering doesnt hug and cuddle but you raise a good point. if there isnt much talking what is the captains job. In saying that mateo wont make any difference, hes one of the most hot and cold players in the nrl. its more of a role suited to a half or hooker who organises.

i do think mannering not talking is a bit of a myth, people were saying he wasnt talking to the refs.. that was just wrong. in fact commentators last year commented on how often he walks up to the ref. hes not exactly gonna grab the ref and start swinging.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Mateo's constant appeals when getting stripped/loose carry wouldn't bode well for a good captain-ref relationship.

Mannering looked ecstatic when scoring the final tries in the knights/manly games (i know the manly one was denied), that's evidence of some sort of passion. He is kind of captain by default, but it's hardly a pressing issue.

Roll on sunday, need some actual games to talk about again!

I don't think Simons all there in the head these days , not critising him , its little wonder with the hell the teams put him through.
I honestly expected to hear of him leaving the club in the off-season. I'd heard a few things through the grapevine that he was ready to jump ship last year due to frustrations with the way things were going. Maybe he doesn't really want the captaincy, but it's one of those things that's difficult to turn down, and more difficult to let go. Nobody wants to be the guy who gave up captaincy of a bunch of shit-for-brains players, only to see the next guy succeed.

From what I gather about the guy (please note, it's based on appearances and second-hand accounts), he's very much a no-fuss kind of character. The way players used to be before they started cuddling one another every time they did something good. Now, I'm not saying that Mannering shouldn't have gone over to congratulate Koni, maybe with a hug, peck on the cheek or a discrete dry hump, I'm just saying that doesn't seem to be his way, more like: "Yeah, kid, you did good, don't act like you've just won the game. You've got 60 more minutes of doing things correctly ahead of you. "

I'm not sure if we need the non-emotional captain, or the dry-humping, cheerleader captain. If the players chose Mannering, maybe they think they get enough bum-patting from their team-mates.

personally i dont care if mannering doesnt hug and cuddle but you raise a good point. if there isnt much talking what is the captains job. In saying that mateo wont make any difference, hes one of the most hot and cold players in the nrl. its more of a role suited to a half or hooker who organises.

i do think mannering not talking is a bit of a myth, people were saying he wasnt talking to the refs.. that was just wrong. in fact commentators last year commented on how often he walks up to the ref. hes not exactly gonna grab the ref and start swinging.

Talking to the ref and slowing things down, there needs to be substance in what your saying to the referee and a bit of reminding him that he needs to be doing his job properly, you can never change his mind, that is as pointless as arguing with him-he isn't the right sole Captain for the team at the moment and Elliot shouldn't have put it on the players to make a decision, they didn't have much choice available to them. He is meant to be the Coach but is needing the players to make decisions for him, WTF, not just about the Captaincy either. He is definitely a great man manager, but after more comments about Fairy Floss I'm doubting his actual Coaching ability, which I thought was alright for the first half of this season, what is he watching?
IMO, The only way to go for this team is co-Captains, help relieve some of the burden from Simon, because he is putting himself under pressure regularly and he isn't comfortable in the position he is playing either, his lack of talk and what needs to be said to his players is highlighted by not giving Kon a gee up..Dane,Feleti or Nathan would be a great way to go..Nothing new in this post though I was saying pretty much the same thing on the old shop...

Talking to the ref and slowing things down, there needs to be substance in what your saying to the referee and a bit of reminding him that he needs to be doing his job properly, you can never change his mind, that is as pointless as arguing with him-he isn't the right sole Captain for the team at the moment and Elliot shouldn't have put it on the players to make a decision, they didn't have much choice available to them. He is meant to be the Coach but is needing the players to make decisions for him, WTF, not just about the Captaincy either. He is definitely a great man manager, but after more comments about Fairy Floss I'm doubting his actual Coaching ability, which I thought was alright for the first half of this season, what is he watching?
IMO, The only way to go for this team is co-Captains, help relieve some of the burden from Simon, because he is putting himself under pressure regularly and he isn't comfortable in the position he is playing either, his lack of talk and what needs to be said to his players is highlighted by not giving Kon a gee up..Dane,Feleti or Nathan would be a great way to go..Nothing new in this post though I was saying pretty much the same thing on the old shop...
i guess thats the point, people see what they want to see, me included. nothing will change peoples minds.

Inruin

Contributor
Poor bastard can't win! Question his captaincy when we lose, question his captaincy when we win. Look what he has had to put up with. Shit for brains players who think they know it all and better than everyone, a muppet of a coach last year, piss poor attitude from a large group of our players. It seems to me that he is only starting to get help since Elliott has arrived and it has taken a number of rounds to get anywhere. I would say the burden of all the above has taken its toll so much that he is struggling to enjoy it now it is starting to happen. I have been in a similar situation working your ass off to get things changed/happening and when it finally does you are drained and left wondering why has it taken so long for you guys to see the light. He was and still is best option as captain. That is all.