Post Match Rd 14: Warriors Beat Roosters!

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
BTW, did anybody spot big Gee Gee at the game on the telly? They showed a shot of him holding the 'THIS IS OUR HOUSE' banner just after Shaun Johnson converted the penalty. Also features in a pic in this piece on the Warriors site:

https://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/Special-night-for-members-in-Sydney/77409

I'm so envious...
Yeah bro

as soon as it was posted I went thru and watched G fist pump and shout while he's representing hard THIS IS OUR HOUSE flag in his arms , feckn choice..one of our own

Reactions: mode81 and Gee
The Hercules tackle, I have mentioned this somewhere else..it's a whiteboy tackle lol, when he pulls it off properly it slams people on their back, Lowrie and Jake have it in their arsenal too.

Agree - player with the ball ends up on their back, he's on top, which means a slower play the ball and faster option for the tackling player to get up, meaning a more set defensive line...

Reactions: mode81 and OMG
It's not until your standing next to Mannering do you realize just how big he really is, he has a huge presence about him.
Not trying to reignite any captaincy debates, but do you reckon that presence is one of the reasons he commands respect as a leader? It's one thing to have that size, but most of the team are monsters compared to us "Joe-averages", so if he has that presence as well, it would make him stand above the rest. I do believe it's called 'mana'.

The funniest thing I saw watching the game again was Shaun Johnson's face in the slo mo replay when Fish was racing away for his try. Check it out - he looks like a excited puppy dog.

Just on the topic of facial expressions: I've noticed Ngani Laumape never seems to show any emotion during games. He seems to have this terminator-style determination.

Perhaps that's why he's come from seemingly nowhere, as a run-of-the-mill junior, to being this revelation in first grade who seems capable of playing pretty much any position without even blinking. Inner drive and mental fortitude.

Determination+professionalism are what he screams to me. And sadly, I suspect he will be very hard to retain long term.

Just on the topic of facial expressions: I've noticed Ngani Laumape never seems to show any emotion during games. He seems to have this terminator-style determination.

Perhaps that's why he's come from seemingly nowhere, as a run-of-the-mill junior, to being this revelation in first grade who seems capable of playing pretty much any position without even blinking. Inner drive and mental fortitude.

Determination+professionalism are what he screams to me. And sadly, I suspect he will be very hard to retain long term.

We will be letting go of the most talent we have seen come out of the u20s in the next 15 months. I rate Hikutai as just as good as Laumape and how good is Kata looking? Fusitua will be a super star too.

We will be letting go of the most talent we have seen come out of the u20s in the next 15 months. I rate Hikutai as just as good as Laumape and how good is Kata looking? Fusitua will be a super star too.

That's one of the drawbacks of having so many high quality young players, in first grade and in the Vulcans.
We desperately need a true reserve grade team, populated entirely by Warriors contracted players.

That's one of the drawbacks of having so many high quality young players, in first grade and in the Vulcans.
We desperately need a true reserve grade team, populated entirely by Warriors contracted players.

That team needs experienced players for the young guns to learn off, what we are spending on the foreigners now, will ensure we can't retain the future stars of the game, I would rather have 2 abysmal seasons of development than over spending on imports.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
That team needs experienced players for the young guns to learn off, what we are spending on the foreigners now, will ensure we can't retain the future stars of the game, I would rather have 2 abysmal seasons of development than over spending on imports.
Doesn't this year and last year count as the 2 abysmal years of development? I know we are going through a golden patch at the moment but the first 10 or so rounds were mostly heartbreaking and this season is far from over...

Reactions: Xfactor

one of the problems is that we are seen as a "development" club by a lot of people/clubs - in that we have a lot of talented players who we will develop, and then lose to other clubs (e.g. Taylor)... whereas a lot of other clubs buy most of their players from outside their area... We've lost a lot of experience in recent years, and we're only just starting to replace that experience now... To be honest though - we could probably afford to lose the likes of Lowrie at some point - with Mannering and Mateo sticking around - that's back row experience, Nielsen provides centre experience, Manu has a lot of experience now, and as for our props - they'll be the most experience quartet in the game before long...

I expect to see us lose one of Hurrell/Laumape, and one of Fish/Locke (unfortunately it's probably Locke) in the next few years... We just won't be able to hold on to everyone...

Reactions: OMG
Doesn't this year and last year count as the 2 abysmal years of development? I know we are going through a golden patch at the moment but the first 10 or so rounds were mostly heartbreaking and this season is far from over...

No they were just under performing trying to find structure,some bad decisions from the Coach didn't help and the injury situation was attributable.
Unless Elliot does something stupid again we will demolish every one, we have plenty of improvement left in us.

Although I think the Dragons might find there Rhythm with a proper half that can kick goals. Nathan and Harry will go good, Soward had been woeful , Stanley is a centre not a half, that is a very nice team now especially compared to what they were a month ago.

Reactions: 1 person
I expect to see us lose one of Hurrell/Laumape, and one of Fish/Locke (unfortunately it's probably Locke) in the next few years... We just won't be able to hold on to everyone...

I'd like to think we could keep hurrell and laumape- by the time there contracts are up for renewal nielson will be out the door. I can see them slowly weeding out the aussie imports- starting with friend- lowrie wont be too far behind.
it is hard to see them keeping fish and Locke tho.

ToiletDuck

Administrator

There are a couple of moments from Sunday's game that show a stark difference between Konrad and Ngani. An attacking bomb goes up, Konrad chases and jumps....though his jump is this weird jump in which he at no time has his eyes on the ball. He goes up about half a foot off the ground, arms flailing, his eyes are nowhere near the ball...or the defender. In short, he looked like an absolute spastic. Fast forward a few plays, Laumape coming through against his much, much taller opposition (Tupou), eyes solely on the ball...times his jump to perfection, comes down with it in hands. There are similarities in physique with Konrad and Ngani, yet I suspect the top 2 inches is the biggest difference between them.

NRL: That was then...this is now

By Michael Brown

5:30 AM Friday Jun 21, 2013

Even Warriors HQ would admit they were not in great shape to win their earlier games. Michael Brown looks at five key phases in the game against the Roosters that illustrate the team's progress since then

1. 11th minute (Warriors 6-0)
This set probably went unnoticed by most but summed up their drive and execution and allowed them to build pressure. It started on the Warriors' own 20m line with a tap restart after a strong defensive set with Manu Vatuvei carving out 11m and was followed by good charges from Ngani Laumape, Sam Rapira and then Ben Matulino. Very quickly and easily they made it up to the Roosters' 30m line before Shaun Johnson put in a clever chip that was gathered 2m out by Anthony Minichiello. The Roosters fullback looked up to find a bullocking Konrad Hurrell barging him out over the deadball line to force a goal line dropout and repeat set. Textbook league.

2. 25th minute (Warriors 10-0)
The Warriors were building pressure and, consequently, the Roosters were struggling to get out of their own territory. One of their attacks, however, broke down when Simon Mannering tried to offload only for Michael Jennings to snaffle the ball and set off for the Warriors' line 90m away. He had a 5m headstart on Johnson but was mowed down by the 30m line. The chase was impressive, not least of all because Jennings is often regarded as the fastest man in the NRL (clearly not), but the scrambling defence after that was even more impressive.

The Warriors quickly got back into their defensive line and held on for the remainder of the set until a James Maloney grubber went long.

3. 33rd minute (Warriors 10-0)
It was inevitable the Roosters would enjoy a period of dominance at some stage. After being contained for the opening 30 minutes, they started to get a roll-on. In the 33rd minute, Sonny Bill Williams broke through the line and the Roosters seemed destined to score as he firstly offloaded to Maloney, who passed to Minichiello. But just like a tennis player who forces their opponent to hit one more shot to win a point in the hope of them making an error, the Warriors scrambled to force the Roosters to make one more pass and the last one from Minichiello to Mitchell Aubusson went forward. "Wow," television commentator Brett Kimmorley exclaimed. "Where did the Warriors players come from? The scramble came from everywhere." What was even more satisfying was seeing the frustration on the Roosters' faces.

4. 52nd-55th minute (Roosters 12-10)
The game entered a critical phase early in the second half as both sides tried to gain ascendancy. It was a classic arm wrestle as it ebbed and flowed from one end to the other. That was until the Roosters enjoyed four consecutive sets but each time the Warriors defused the threat with strong defence and sound judgment. Importantly, they then followed that up with a good set of their own immediately after, when they went from their own 20m to the Roosters' tryline. Ben Matulino actually touched down but the video referee ruled that Vatuvei had knocked on from an attempted slap-back. The next time they got their hands on the ball, Glen Fisiiahi raced nearly 90m for a hugely significant converted try.

5. 65th minute (Warriors 16-12)
Sometimes luck is just as important as skill and commitment and all those things that help teams win. Luck was certainly on the Warriors' side when Fisiiahi managed to slap the ball out of Shaun Kenny-Dowall's hands as the Roosters centre went to score. The Warriors' line had been breached by a combination of a poor read by Vatuvei, who came in off his wing to try to put a big hit on Maloney, and quick hands to put Kenny-Dowall in the clear. Fisiiahi's slap might work only once in every 20 attempts but it came at a crucial time as the Roosters enjoyed a period of sustained pressure. "All that was missing was a balaclava and a flashlight," the commentator said in reference to Fisiiahi stealing the ball. The Warriors didn't burgle the win from the Roosters ... they earned it.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10891934

NRL: That was then...this is now

By Michael Brown

5:30 AM Friday Jun 21, 2013

Even Warriors HQ would admit they were not in great shape to win their earlier games. Michael Brown looks at five key phases in the game against the Roosters that illustrate the team's progress since then

1. 11th minute (Warriors 6-0)
This set probably went unnoticed by most but summed up their drive and execution and allowed them to build pressure. It started on the Warriors' own 20m line with a tap restart after a strong defensive set with Manu Vatuvei carving out 11m and was followed by good charges from Ngani Laumape, Sam Rapira and then Ben Matulino. Very quickly and easily they made it up to the Roosters' 30m line before Shaun Johnson put in a clever chip that was gathered 2m out by Anthony Minichiello. The Roosters fullback looked up to find a bullocking Konrad Hurrell barging him out over the deadball line to force a goal line dropout and repeat set. Textbook league.

2. 25th minute (Warriors 10-0)
The Warriors were building pressure and, consequently, the Roosters were struggling to get out of their own territory. One of their attacks, however, broke down when Simon Mannering tried to offload only for Michael Jennings to snaffle the ball and set off for the Warriors' line 90m away. He had a 5m headstart on Johnson but was mowed down by the 30m line. The chase was impressive, not least of all because Jennings is often regarded as the fastest man in the NRL (clearly not), but the scrambling defence after that was even more impressive.

The Warriors quickly got back into their defensive line and held on for the remainder of the set until a James Maloney grubber went long.

3. 33rd minute (Warriors 10-0)
It was inevitable the Roosters would enjoy a period of dominance at some stage. After being contained for the opening 30 minutes, they started to get a roll-on. In the 33rd minute, Sonny Bill Williams broke through the line and the Roosters seemed destined to score as he firstly offloaded to Maloney, who passed to Minichiello. But just like a tennis player who forces their opponent to hit one more shot to win a point in the hope of them making an error, the Warriors scrambled to force the Roosters to make one more pass and the last one from Minichiello to Mitchell Aubusson went forward. "Wow," television commentator Brett Kimmorley exclaimed. "Where did the Warriors players come from? The scramble came from everywhere." What was even more satisfying was seeing the frustration on the Roosters' faces.

4. 52nd-55th minute (Roosters 12-10)
The game entered a critical phase early in the second half as both sides tried to gain ascendancy. It was a classic arm wrestle as it ebbed and flowed from one end to the other. That was until the Roosters enjoyed four consecutive sets but each time the Warriors defused the threat with strong defence and sound judgment. Importantly, they then followed that up with a good set of their own immediately after, when they went from their own 20m to the Roosters' tryline. Ben Matulino actually touched down but the video referee ruled that Vatuvei had knocked on from an attempted slap-back. The next time they got their hands on the ball, Glen Fisiiahi raced nearly 90m for a hugely significant converted try.

5. 65th minute (Warriors 16-12)
Sometimes luck is just as important as skill and commitment and all those things that help teams win. Luck was certainly on the Warriors' side when Fisiiahi managed to slap the ball out of Shaun Kenny-Dowall's hands as the Roosters centre went to score. The Warriors' line had been breached by a combination of a poor read by Vatuvei, who came in off his wing to try to put a big hit on Maloney, and quick hands to put Kenny-Dowall in the clear. Fisiiahi's slap might work only once in every 20 attempts but it came at a crucial time as the Roosters enjoyed a period of sustained pressure. "All that was missing was a balaclava and a flashlight," the commentator said in reference to Fisiiahi stealing the ball. The Warriors didn't burgle the win from the Roosters ... they earned it.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10891934

Slight sidenote - but our players are starting to show maturity with and without the ball... It's a great sign, and fingers crossed will transfer to the kiwis later on this year as well.

Buck777

That's what it feels like to be smashed by the Warriors Maloney!

Ha ha! :p
I know I should move on, mature and grow up, but I found it immensely satisfying seeing Maloney being left in the dust in some of those try's. His referral to Shaun Johnson as 'princess', his non interest in us for the latter part of last year ( not the only one but being paid the most), his 'Hollywood' image on the footy show. I'd like to think he hurt last weekend. In the replay I noticed Manu hunted him out a couple of times- pay back? Just one more highlight amongst highlights in the roosters game.

I know I should move on, mature and grow up, but I found it immensely satisfying seeing Maloney being left in the dust in some of those try's. His referral to Shaun Johnson as 'princess', his non interest in us for the latter part of last year ( not the only one but being paid the most), his 'Hollywood' image on the footy show. I'd like to think he hurt last weekend. In the replay I noticed Manu hunted him out a couple of times- pay back? Just one more highlight amongst highlights in the roosters game.

I saw Konrad aimed at him a couple of times too... didn't even try to hit the gap, just ran straight at little Jimmy...

And as you say, we should mature and grow up... but it's a bit different if he'd been committed to us... I won't hold any grudges against ET when he moves on, because at least he's been trying for us this year. But Maloney gave up last year, and as a result - I hope he gets smashed. By anyone (it might help that the Roosters are one of my least favourite two sides - I don't know who I'd support if the Roosters were playing Manly)...

I saw Konrad aimed at him a couple of times too... didn't even try to hit the gap, just ran straight at little Jimmy...

And as you say, we should mature and grow up... but it's a bit different if he'd been committed to us... I won't hold any grudges against ET when he moves on, because at least he's been trying for us this year. But Maloney gave up last year, and as a result - I hope he gets smashed. By anyone (it might help that the Roosters are one of my least favourite two sides - I don't know who I'd support if the Roosters were playing Manly)...

I'm actually really impressed with ET's attitude - he's definitely more suited to lock than centre or (especially) hooker.

Earlier this year, Maloney's missed tackle count was right down - now he's the fifth equal worst in the comp with 41 (Johnson is 11th with 38).

Buck777

I'm actually really impressed with ET's attitude - he's definitely more suited to lock than centre or (especially) hooker.

Earlier this year, Maloney's missed tackle count was right down - now he's the fifth equal worst in the comp with 41 (Johnson is 11th with 38).

I've had to eat humble pie with ET. I still don't think he's Marquee, but his attitude is good, he's playing in the right position, and he's hungry for tries. I grudgingly accept that he's earnt having his name written in Font 135 on his Mazda S/W!

That's an interesting stat on Maloney. I guess one could argue that the more tackles you try and make the more risk you put yourself in missing them. I thought he was shown up in the roosters game. I wonder if the coach went to Maloney for inside info. I guessing he did ( I would!). I noticed they targeted Fish a lot, and maybe it was from Maloney saying he's the weak link. Changing rooms afterwards might've been a bit embarrassing.

Reactions: Sup42 and Jay M

I hate to think what would happen with consecutive 2012's. There is a balance to be struck for sure. We are not going to keep everyone.

Reactions: OMG