Post Match Rd 13: Warriors Upset Manly 18-16!

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Manly fans reconed one Reff had money on the Warriors and his opposite had money on Manly.

Crazy See Saw penalty bouts

Pretty much determined the game

Well played Warriors Reff you got the other pink prick in the last ten minutes

best statement about the game so far!

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Tomkins 6, Locke 1 ,fish 2. Genuine speedsters and xfactor. Hope he's coming

And as I just pointed out in another thread this is a reoccurrence of an old injury that plagues Locke regularly. If Fish is to be our starting Right wing we need someone else who can cover or replace Locke should the situation arise.

wallacenz

wallacenz

Friend will be a big loss but it wouldn't be the first time a good hooker was told he wasn't wanted. The last one the powers that be at the Warriors decided was no good and was let go was snapped up by Wayne Bennett and went on to get a win in a grand final with the dragons. Hope it goes as well for Friend
dean young was the hooker at the dragons, fien was a utility really

friend is a much better hooker than fien ever was

OMG

OMG

dean young was the hooker at the dragons, fien was a utility really

friend is a much better hooker than fien ever was

Not really true either, Young played lots of minutes in loose forward, Hornby and Soward were there main halves combo, Fien would come on and then Young would go loosey, when injuries hampered them Fien would go to half, Hookers Mitch Rein and Cam King played bit parts also.
I wouldn't say better just different, Fien had a better attacking upside than Friend, but didn't make as many tackles.

Swanley

Swanley

^^ just on the use of the interchange, I actually thought it was odd at times. Having Lillyman, Mateo and Matulino all off at the same time kills our go forward and attack, I don't understand why he times it so they're all sitting on the bench together. Also we are completely wasting a bench spot having both Peyroux and Ikahihifo there.

I thought that as well, but I believe he did this so all three finish the match together, which I think was the case.

Sebastian

Sebastian

That run by Konnie was flash. A special run that was produced by raw athletic ability. Match winning. But as good as that was. I think the run by Manu was even better. Seriously Manu's great escape was premiership winning grit. Shame we didn't play that well in the GF.

Also. Wraps to The Fish who had a game defining performance. Really stood up. Hard returns. Hard defence. MOM by far.

Reactions: 3 users
Swanley

Swanley

I think people need to lay of Johnson. He is a little gem and cannot expect to be a star every week. Remember he is still young and no J Thurston, yet. However, we won and against a top 4 team, fairly and squarely by playing some great league, I think people need to stop moaning as much as they do.

As for Mannering, he is good Captain but needs to be more vocal, however, he needs to be on the right covering Hurrell as he IS a defensive liability, but an attacking monster.

Manu was great, the two handed catch he took above his head was sublime and his run out of the in-gaol was fantastic. Having Nielson on his inside has really improved his game.

My own favourite highlight was Fish coming across trying to smash Matai as he was scoring, this is the commitment we have been lacking for almost 18 months.

Kalcod

Also good idea to get someone like Fox in but it probably wouldn't have an immediate effect. Another option is to pass a bit wider and have centres/Mateo/Locke chip or grubber into corners and contest the hell out of it.

Dont we have Halligan coaching our kickers? or was Andrew Johns involved somewhere too? I can't remember

Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

I to feel the refereeing against the warriors is rigged...annoying little dick Brett suttor can go get...
Referees know theres less pressure when penalising the warriors, less scrutiny from oz media and officials so they penalise freely

ME did point this out after the dogs game. He needs to keep chipping away and get others to back him up. Mannering is HOPELESS with the refs

Or better still, hire Sean Fitzpatrick (Ex All Black captain) to train Mannering as he knew how to ride the ref and get them on his side.
Never forget his speech when he retired he was asked if he would take up refereeing, he responded "I think ten years at the top is enough"

Jay M

Jay M

As for Mannering, he is good Captain but needs to be more vocal, however, he needs to be on the right covering Hurrell as he IS a defensive liability, but an attacking monster.

This call may be premature - but how would anyone else feel about Mateo stepping up to being either Captain or Co-Captain? He's re-signed for another three years, and his performances in the last few weeks have been exceptional. I think it could help take the pressure off Mannering's game - which seems a bit stifled at the moment. There's a general feel (to me anyway) that when Mateo plays well and is confident - so are the warriors. He's been putting in bigger minutes in the last three weeks (60-80 mins depending on the week), and I feel the referees have more respect for Mateo than Mannering. He's also vocal and has a lot of mana in the side. He has captaincy experience from leading the Tongan team (yes I know it's not an NRL team).

If you ask me, in the last three weeks - the on-field leaders have been Leuluai, Mateo and Friend as opposed to Mannering. And our results have been the best we've seen this season... Coincidence?

(I'd also be happy with Leuluai and Mateo being Co-captains, but can't see ME making that decision in the next 12 mths)

Reactions: 1 user
lolcaeks

lolcaeks

Or better still, hire Sean Fitzpatrick (Ex All Black captain) to train Mannering as he knew how to ride the ref and get them on his side.
Never forget his speech when he retired he was asked if he would take up refereeing, he responded "I think ten years at the top is enough"

Sean Fitzpatrick is one of the best referees who ever played for the All Blacks

Reactions: 1 users
RobRoyMcCoy

RobRoyMcCoy

I gave it to Matulino. He and Bull turned the game around. I was seriously concerned about the lack of go forward from Rapira and Matagi and I still am if they are lining up against the Roosters. Hopefully the Package is available and back to his aggressive best.

Mannering's injury really worries me. I think he does a great job for us and must be one of the first names on the teamsheet every week (not just as Captain :) ) Lot's of criticism for him here over the past week or so but considering he played injured and we won, I am supporting him 100% and I hope he is right to play against the Rooters. Lowrie does give us good cover is he is fit but the stocks are a bit bare after him!

Having Locke back will strengthen us also, fish to the wing.

Akkerz

Akkerz

Contributor
Dont we have Halligan coaching our kickers? or was Andrew Johns involved somewhere too? I can't remember

Johns was working with Shaun but did more harm than good. Halligan has also been involved -not sure whether he still is. Bit dubious about using Halligan as he's a Doggies stalwart through & through. He wouldn't want our kickers getting too good lol

Couldn't kicking coaching be part of Stacy Jones job description . Who better

ajofbrisbane

ajofbrisbane

Johns was working with Shaun but did more harm than good. Halligan has also been involved -not sure whether he still is. Bit dubious about using Halligan as he's a Doggies stalwart through & through. He wouldn't want our kickers getting too good lol

Couldn't kicking coaching be part of Stacy Jones job description . Who better

Halligan was here in Brisbane training with the kickers.

mrblonde

mrblonde

David Campese said something along the lines of "I'd like to pay tribute to one of the greatest players and worst referees the game has ever seen."

Buck777

I might be incorrect about this as I haven't gone back and checked my facts of which referee gave penalties to either team, but my first impression, was that Suttor was caning us with penalties, but when Cummins took over - the penalties equaled up for us. At one stage I saw Cummings award us a penalty, but Suttor seemed to be unhappy with the decision - Cummins looked over to him and shook his head. Just good to know which referees will give us a fair crack.

Reactions: 2 users
OMG

OMG

David Campese said something along the lines of "I'd like to pay tribute to one of the greatest players and worst referees the game has ever seen."

Changing a referees mind after he has made a decision doesn't happen unless ruled by the video referee, the key to riding a ref is knowing your rules and creating indecision the second it happens, because as soon as he has made a decision it is too late and all you are doing is time wasting for your team to set the defensive line, good Captains have a chat with the ref to slow down play not to get an actual explanation, they don't need it..

Reactions: 1 users
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Changing a referees mind after he has made a decision doesn't happen unless ruled by the video referee, the key to riding a ref is knowing your rules and creating indecision the second it happens, because as soon as he has made a decision it is too late and all you are doing is time wasting for your team to set the defensive line, good Captains have a chat with the ref to slow down play not to get an actual explanation, they don't need it..
but a 'hey ref, they aren't back the 10 either, can you keep an eye on them too?' doesnt hurt

Reactions: 1 user
Pharris

Pharris

I hate Manly so damn much. So glad we won, even better that we had a close win. Just to let them know that they were close, but not close enough. I was furious at the onslaught of rubbish penalties they were getting in the first 20 mins. We aren't that undisciplined, there is no need to have penalty after penalty like that in any game. Let the boys play ffs.