Post Match Rd 13: Warriors Upset Manly 18-16!

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
Interesting the comments about us playing more direct. Friend and at least one other senior player approached Elliot after the penrith game and told him the lateral movement wasnt working and we need to play more direct. When asked about this Elliot didn't seem to think their had been any big change in structure but more a change in attitude.

Maybe that's behind TL controlling the play - will look for the more direct route or runners instead of Shaun Johnson's running to the touch line?

Reactions: frankspence
As well as Konrad played yesterday, I don't know that I want him playing right centre against the roosters... With SBW, Jennings and either Tuivasa-Sheck or Tupou (I think Tupou plays left wing for the Roosters but I could be wrong) on the Roosters left hand side, if we are going to persist with Shaun Johnson defending at right centre - I think this week could be a good option to play horses for courses... I think Laumape at centre with Fish on the wing (provided Locke is fit) would be the prudent option, with Peyroux retaining his bench spot as centre cover...

Not hating on Konrad, but the Roosters left side attack is pretty strong... (although I would love to see Konrad running 1 on 1 with Maloney - h*ll, I'd just like to see us target Maloney all game to pay him back for all the missed tackles he made when he was here...)

Interesting the comments about us playing more direct. Friend and at least one other senior player approached Elliot after the penrith game and told him the lateral movement wasnt working and we need to play more direct. When asked about this Elliot didn't seem to think their had been any big change in structure but more a change in attitude.
Yeah I heard both NF's and ME's comment on this as well but taken together(the comments) they didn't make sense otherwise we are being asked to believe that ME had a game plan that entailed crabbing across field looking for and trying to take advantage of some gap/opportunity that miraculously appears. No coach would advocate this not even on one of ME's most craziest days. How ME answered this question when put to him was that (reading between the lines) the forwards particularly needed to become more direct and dominate the opposition.A change of game plan was not required it was more a case of the players playing better and to the plan.They have started doing that and 3 wins are the result...funny that....and great as well.No complaints from me.I say if we can put the Roosters away and I think we will on the basis we only lost by a couple last time,we're starting to go better now and they looked tired/flat the other day.In the words of Phil Gould.... "we're back baby"!!!!

"Sorry Vossy does Steve Matai not just resemble tough in our competition....will not enter or exit the feild.....continues to play through pain " ?.................

what the truck is that niggah smoking , more worser English than Konrad Hurrell.....Daryl Halligan ?

Gotta say the mood at the park was the sort that sets off riots.

Eleven thousand people waiting for a kick in the teeth from the Bully.......that last scrum of the game.....awarded to the Warriors.....people moving in slow motion......relief on their faces....

A little voice inside wanted to scream ' no you fools Manly could still win this....but It was drowned out by 'five' ..'four'........can't watch 'three'.....must look away......'two'.........'one' .........

More crisis meetings more often please..just kidding, another fantastic effort boys.

Defeating the Broncos was sweet in it's excecution and brutality but winning a grind fest against the team everyone hates is even better, been a long time coming.

After match interview with Mutts was great, I liked his confident demeanour , you can tell he's found his mojo again and that's scary for opposition teams!

Living in ChCh I don't get to see Warriors live very often but would be interested from any body at the game yesterday on what they thought of SM giving those penalties away early in the first half.On telly just looked plain dumb but live may have told a different story of perhaps SM showing great leadership in terms of making a decision of perhaps thinking that 2 points or a chance to reset the defence is better than giving away for 4 or 6. What was it? Great leadership/vision or total stupidity or overzealous referreeing...any comments gratefully received.

Reactions: fanrrior
just heard someone on Radio Sport mentioning the win loss ratio at Mt Smart and if the owners would be looking at taking more hoime games away from Mt Smart as we just don't win them.

4 out of 5 this year I think it was. Anyone know what we do statistically at Mt Smart vs other "home" games?

just heard someone on Radio Sport mentioning the win loss ratio at Mt Smart and if the owners would be looking at taking more hoime games away from Mt Smart as we just don't win them.

4 out of 5 this year I think it was. Anyone know what we do statistically at Mt Smart vs other "home" games?

Uhhm, I think we have won one game at Christchurch against the Roosters in 2009 when Locke smacked into the goalpost... I don't think we've ever won one at Eden Park. I don't think we've won in Hamilton or Wellington either. So I'd say the ratio is pretty bad...

We have lost every home game they've taken away from home.
Eden Park thrice and Wellington once.
All the other games around the show have been away games.

Reactions: mt.wellington
Living in ChCh I don't get to see Warriors live very often but would be interested from any body at the game yesterday on what they thought of SM giving those penalties away early in the first half.On telly just looked plain dumb but live may have told a different story of perhaps SM showing great leadership in terms of making a decision of perhaps thinking that 2 points or a chance to reset the defence is better than giving away for 4 or 6. What was it? Great leadership/vision or total stupidity...any comments gratefully received.

His off load early in the tackle count, in good field position, with nothing on and off a miserable inside run=not great leadership and not footy smart.
I actually rate Simon highly playing the loosey and think there is a front row transition just around the corner, but in the 12 he is a massive let down for me and can't wait for the arrival of Bukuya. Simon gives it his all every game but is not being done any favours being the Captain and playing 12. If there is one game that really stands out for me in regards to how much his game has suffered with the leadership role, it is the Sharks game from last year, firstly the decision to give us a 5 point lead in the wet WTF oh FFS Simon they have to kick off, remember how bad the Super League rules were when you had good teams playing bad teams?
let me digress for a moment, The good teams would score tries then kick off to the weakest player on the field and near get possession back straight away or they would defend the shit out of the other team who would then struggle like a MF to get out of their half, let alone into the oppositions half...So Unfair in club football it resulted in some atrocious results.
This is why we kick deep, to pin attacks with good defences.

going on, when Robson carves up his inside, his reaction at being carved up showed how far off the Captaincy he truly is, a petulant boy reaction,ffs rally your troops son don't sulk, even in the match winner he has a hand through mis-reads..It's not too hard to go find his mis-reads this year, the defensive line is the key to any good team, IMO Simon doesn't play the right well, I have no problems with him on the left or as loose forward.
Playing on the left side, he has nice timing on his right shoulder, the timing on his left shoulder is very average, -playing on the left if someone takes his inside Bam right shoulder and it is a hard shoulder, if they take his outside Simon has beautiful textbook technique and actually likes to stand wider and seems to trust the inside Man more, but that's fooling you, 2 things are happening he tries to set up his right shoulder for the Bam and is also cutting down the options and space of the centre, he does it confidently.
He can't play the same way on the right because he has very little confidence on his left shoulder, if he plays wide, they carve up his inside, if he plays close it drags the centre and winger in, I really do feel for Simon.
Loose forward allows a lot of leeway in how you position yourself in the line and gives you the ability to set up your natural shoulder, there are very very very few ambidextrous tacklers in the world.

I do believe in his 30s he will be a great Captain, but he was a boy when given the responsibility it holds and it can be a real head fuck at the worst of times because you take it more personally than everybody else except the Coach, when all is going swimmingly it can be an easy job, but when it's not there are some wicked mind games involved with yourself, even 2011 wasn't as great as some might let you believe, with there being some very dark moments during the season and on the way to the final.
The Captaincy has suffocated his game and the way he plays - He has the face and body of a terminator but doesn't have the correct licence to be using it and there is a mass of aggression building up in his facial wrinkle lines, he would become a very ugly monster at 13 and not the Captain, very Ugly..

Uhhm, I think we have won one game at Christchurch against the Roosters in 2009 when Locke smacked into the goalpost... I don't think we've ever won one at Eden Park. I don't think we've won in Hamilton or Wellington either. So I'd say the ratio is pretty bad...

Yup, we beat the Roosters August 2010 down here.. Went to a couple of Tigers games that were also down here in the mid 2000s, don't think we won many of them... I think we maybe have 3 wins in NZ outside of Mt Smart? We did the Sharkies a couple of years ago in Taupo but can't remember too many other wins tho...

Buck777

From what I understand there are not too many options for the Warriors other than Eden Park. Apparently in the new NRL framework signed by all clubs recently was a stadium standard they must adhere to. Mt Smart doesn't meet that standard. So either Owen Glenn builds a new one, which he'll not own once finished, or we move. My $ is that we're moving. The problem is, we don't have any other stadiums to barter with. It's a crying shame the ARL sold Carlaw. Small minded old men. Owen could've brought that in a heartbeat and made it league central.

Reactions: Sup42
Yup, we beat the Roosters August 2010 down here.. Went to a couple of Tigers games that were also down here in the mid 2000s, don't think we won many of them... I think we maybe have 3 wins in NZ outside of Mt Smart? We did the Sharkies a couple of years ago in Taupo but can't remember too many other wins tho...

One of the classiest 1st halves I've witnessed v Tigers, 05, it sucked and was freezing az in the new west stand.
When Ellery played was an awesome game, his skip passes for a couple of tries, was phenomenal, my friends and I were south end behind the posts, wasn't too people many down where we were,poor crowd, another freezing cold day lol @ CHCH there's no place like home.
The few pre-seasons we had at Addington were much better occasions IMO, you got to mix a bit with players from both clubs, Linwood one year managed to get a few of the Sharkies players down to a function at a bar in New Brighton. lol at what came out in the news after that visit..
Memorable moment, Joe Galuvao carving for the Warriors reserves at fullback, what a legend...

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
I like Tommy, but we really need to give Shaun Johnson the ball on the last play for kicks. TL just doesn't have the kicking game, he regularly puts bombs 10-20m short, and can't get them high enough to create good pressure. He's not to bad close to the line though.

Ikhahifo is turning into this season's Sione Lousi, really looks average.

Taylor had a good game for once, no one really dominated for us other than Lillyman, Matulino and Fish (He was very busy and involved, but I think he was good, not great). Before Bull and Ben came on we were getting rolled through the middle.

I understand what you mean; Johnson has a more impressive kick on him. But I am preferring TL's kicking game at the moment, the kicks are shallower, but they are contested. SJs are going too deep and giving the opposition a free take with no pressure. Both need to find the turf more often imo.

From what I understand there are not too many options for the Warriors other than Eden Park. Apparently in the new NRL framework signed by all clubs recently was a stadium standard they must adhere to. Mt Smart doesn't meet that standard.

I understand about the standards etc, but although I've never been to any of the Aussie grounds, when you see the likes of Brookvale, Leichardt and a couple of others on tv are they really making the standard too? They seem to have grass banks along the sidelines.

yeah hard

but you can see Dane isnt afraid to tell Manu what to do

you can see him yelling and waving his hands at Manu and Im sure Manu appreciates the security he has on his inside

Definitely, Dane is making a huge difference to Manu's game. You can see he is far more confident in attack and defense with Danger inside him.

Reactions: frankspence