General Mt Smart Stadium

Our home ground has a real buzz this year. The buzz of winning!

5E514006-BA1A-4FD1-9291-87509BDF0078.jpeg

For those who are interested …
Here is the latest drone footage of the Christchurch stadium build.
I walked past last week and the structure is starting to take place and you get an understanding of the scale it will be.
In addition, by either good management or chance, it is being built next to the cardboard cathedral for those who might like to pop in for a wee prayer prior to watching their favourite team run out once completed. 😉

View attachment 576
"At little or no cost to the ratepayer".... can someone with a spare $600-800 million dollars please build the Council a nice new stadium please. Yip, I can see a lot of people lining up to do that!!!

I've got an idea.... get the EPTB to sell Eden Park to developers and give all the money they have received over the last 25 years from both Council and Government to the developers of a new Stadium. Sell North Harbour Stadium and give that money to a developer of a new Stadium. Then use the money raised from those sales to put a new Stadium for rugby, league and football on either the Container wharf or on Victoria Park to take 45-55 K. Finish Mt Smart with a northern stand, a capacity of 30-35 k and a roof.

Send the Speedway out to Colin Dale Motorpark and redevelop Western Springs as the home of Auckland Cricket and the venue for test and international T20's and ODI's.

Solved!!!

"At little or no cost to the ratepayer".... can someone with a spare $600-800 million dollars please build the Council a nice new stadium please. Yip, I can see a lot of people lining up to do that!!!

I've got an idea.... get the EPTB to sell Eden Park to developers and give all the money they have received over the last 25 years from both Council and Government to the developers of a new Stadium. Sell North Harbour Stadium and give that money to a developer of a new Stadium. Then use the money raised from those sales to put a new Stadium for rugby, league and football on either the Container wharf or on Victoria Park to take 45-55 K. Finish Mt Smart with a northern stand, a capacity of 30-35 k and a roof.

Send the Speedway out to Colin Dale Motorpark and redevelop Western Springs as the home of Auckland Cricket and the venue for test and international T20's and ODI's.

Solved!!!
is Victoria Park big enough? and its a pretty nice piece of green space that would be lost

Pretty shit George said they won’t add extra seating (I know revenue goes to NRL but they can work out a way to expense it)

I think the stadium looks pretty average with those empty embankments on both endsz would like to see 360 views of packed out warriors supporters.

Why have 25k supporters when you can have 35k??. Missed trick here.

I think the stadium looks pretty average with those empty embankments on both endsz would like to see 360 views of packed out warriors supporters.
There's only an embankment at one end (North) though. South has a stand and has done for as long as I can remember, albeit a fairly crappy one.

Eden Park needs to stop trying to get the best of both worlds of being owned by the Trust but always going to the council cap in hand to actually fund the place. If you can't afford to run it, then sell it to developers or to the council.

North Harbour is the easy decision to get rid of. No tenants, and unlikely to have any in the foreseeable future.

Rebuild the South and West stands at Mt Smart so you've got something akin to CommBank, and that would do 95% of Aucklands rectangle field needs. We don't need 50k+ often enough to justify it.

is Victoria Park big enough? and its a pretty nice piece of green space that would be lost
The area to the east of the Victoria Park flyover be enough to receive a stadium. There wouldn’t be the space though for a second field like the current Eden Park #2.

There's already bugger all nice green space in the CBD, whacking a stadium over Victoria Park would be terrible.
I like the tank farm idea as its a more realistic / quicker solution than than the port.
Although the port stadium could have a really transformational impact on the city if done right

I like the tank farm idea as its a more realistic / quicker solution than than the port.
Although the port stadium could have a really transformational impact on the city if done right
IF done right...amazing word that IF :rolleyes:

I don't know when any of you were last downtown but the place is a shambles. I guess if they are looking ahead a few years, and when the train system is working, it might be a goer.

Hopefully the dinosaurs at the Eden Park Trust Board have told to shove it. They can demolish the dump and pocket a couple of billion to build a proper stadium.

Now where have we heard that before, oh yes Jim Doyle, but did anybody listen?

Do you thik that will happen Bruce? No way Bruce.

Maori are 15% of the population, hardly any speak Te Reo, and most of the are in the far flung rural areas, yet they waste probably millions on a bilingual announcement system on the buses and trains FFS.

Nah mate, this council is brain dead and isn't going to change.

Was talking to a mate in England this week. The Poms have been notorious for stadium balls ups.

When they needed an excuse to build the London Olympic Stadium they conned West Ham into signing up for the place, because they needed something better than Upton Park.

Most English stadiums have atmosphere, some like Anfield may be a little cramped so people piss in their boots, but everybody can see the game.

Anyway now that West Ham are there, apparently many fans go to the end of the stadium to watch the game on a big screen :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ...I don't know about Manchester City at that new Etihad stadium but I think people are getting sick of needing binoculars these days.

Most English stadiums have atmosphere, some like Anfield may be a little cramped so people piss in their boots, but everybody can see the game.
I was in England earlier this year and was lucky enough to go to a Leeds Rhino game at Headingley. Fantastic atmosphere and located in a fairly suburban area like Eden Park. The biggest stand was all standing-only too.

Also went to Selhurst Park in London and it felt like it hadn't been touched in decades. About 2 toilets for the entire ground, a pole blocking half my view, and the most narrow concourse I've ever seen. And it was bloody brilliant!

When it comes to new stadiums, they often throw too many bell and whistles and forget that at the end of the day the most important thing is a great view and a great atmosphere.

With all the threats from the NRL about Mt Smart over the years it is history making that a final will return to our home ground.

I would love to know if they cut us a break or there was no other option with Eden Park as far as the Warriors making a stand goes.

Back