General QLD Names 25 man Squad

Kid-Dynamite_old

Queensland preliminary squad:

Matt Ballin (Sea Eagles), Darius Boyd (Dragons), Petero Civoniceva (Panthers), Neville Costigan (Dragons), Cooper Cronk (Storm), Israel Folau (Broncos), Ben Hannant (Bulldogs), Ashley Harrison (Titans), Justin Hodges (Broncos), Karmichael Hunt (Broncos), Greg Inglis (Storm), Dallas Johnson (Storm), Darren Lockyer (Broncos), Steve Michaels (Broncos), Nate Myles (Roosters), Corey Parker (Broncos), Steven Price (Warriors), Scott Prince (Titans), Billy Slater (Storm), Cameron Smith (Storm), David Shillington (Raiders), David Stagg (Bulldogs), Sam Thaiday (Broncos), Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys), Willie Tonga (Cowboys).

......................................................................................................

I'm suprised Matty Bowen didn't make it. But from that squad I would have to go with a team of:

1 Hunt
2 Boyd
3 Inglis
4 Hodges
5 Folau
6 Lockyer
7 Thurston
8 Civonaceva
9 C.Smith
10 Price
11 Parker
12 Stagg
13 Johnson

14 Prince/Slater
15 Hannant
16 Costigan
17 Thaiday

Northern_Union

M Luck would have to be the next cab off the rank if a forward picks up an injury?

David Bragg_old

I would have Michael Luck before the reliable David Stagg the overrated Ashley Harrison and steady as she goes Corey Parker

Spence_old

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2009/04/24/50355_cowboys.html

JT near-certainty to nab Morons' No. 7 jersey – Miles

ANTONY STEWART

April 24th, 2009

IN-FORM Titans playmaker Scott Prince can throw as much as he wants at Johnathan Thurston's representative position but the Cowboys halfback is going no where.

That's the opinion of Queensland selector Gene Miles, who yesterday declared Thurston was a near certainty to be picked for Australia next week and then Queensland next month.

The 25-year-old has been under immense scrutiny during North Queensland's slow start to the season, while Prince's stellar efforts with Gold Coast have supposedly further heaped pressure on Thurston.

But even before Thurston's game-winning efforts against Cronulla last weekend, Miles said Queensland loyalty meant there was never a chance he would lose his place.

WHO WILL BE THE QUEENSLAND HALFBACK FOR ORIGIN 1? HAVE YOUR SAY BELOW

"`JT' will play for Australia next week, I have got no doubt about that, and then he'll probably play for Queensland two weeks after that as well," he said.

"It's not his fault the Cowboys aren't winning, he's trying his hardest.

"He just gets frustrated and all players do that, all great players do that.

"He's very passionate about playing for Queensland and he's never let us down in the past and I don't think he will in the future either.

"That's always been our system in selecting teams, if you do the job you are more than likely going to get it again."

Miles said having two No. 7s the quality of Thurston and Prince battling for one spot was a position he was sure his New South Wales counterparts were envious of.

Miles was in Townsville yesterday to promote next week's FOGS Indigenous Employment and Careers Expo which he'll attend alongside other Queensland legends including Allan Langer, Mal Meninga and Arthur Beetson.

Miles also threw cold water on Darren Lockyer's place being in jeopardy.

"I'm just speaking as one selector, but Darren Lockyer would be in my side," he said.

"In past years it's been pretty straight forward, you walk in and you put down the No. 1, No. 6, No. 8, No. 10 and you work your team around those guys.

"He'll have my vote, no doubt," Miles said.

Unlike NSW, which named a 40-man preliminary squad this week, Queensland selectors will pick a 22-player squad on Monday.

Miles was slightly critical of the Blues' selection policy, in particular naming Manly centre Jamie Lyon, who has stated he does not want to play representative football.

If Lyon was a Moron, the 23-time Queensland representative said his wish would be granted.

"If we were facing the same scenario we would say: `If you don't want to wear the Moron jumper, then no way known would you be included'," Miles said.

"We would have headed in another direction and allowed him to have exemption.

"He doesn't want to play rep footy, he doesn't want to play for New South Wales or Australia, so let him go – if he wants to concentrate on club footy then fair enough."

Miles doubted Lyon would be selected for the final squad.

I don't see the point in selecting Cronk. Are they preparing incase both Thurston and Prince/Lockyer get injured?

a.c.e_old

Like the guy that put this thread up, that QLD team is DYNAMITE!! QLD to make history.

Tajhay_old

khunt ahead of the australian fullback, the player regarded as currently the best in the world?? yeaaahh riigghhttt

ToiletDuck_old

Has anybody seen Khunt's form this season? He may be a cock, but he's playing bloody well...he's a fair way ahead of billy IMO.

a.c.e_old

khunt ahead of the australian fullback, the player regarded as currently the best in the world?? yeaaahh riigghhttt

I bet NSW would love a knunt right now ;)

He'll defend his ass off with some bruising runs and awesome! tackles! Then enter Slater to treat NSW any which way like the bitch they are :)

Spence_old

I bet NSW would love a knunt right now ;)

He'll defend his ass off with some bruising runs and awesome! tackles! Then enter Slater to treat NSW any which way like the bitch they are :)

You wait until June 4th, then we will see who's the bitch :)

Spence_old

Thats exactly why :D

Originally I supported them because everyone went for QLD. I always go for the underdog.

warriors4life_old

Well everybody started supporting Queensland because they were the underdog...go figure.

Tajhay_old

i support whichever state im NOT in..soo...ummm yeaah goo qld...

i feel so dirty...

Jesbass_old

Originally I supported them because everyone went for QLD. I always go for the underdog.

Queensland have patented underdog status. It's copyrighted by them and NSW fans can't use their trademark. :D

Fazz_old

I've never rated him as the best in the world. That's because I hate the little grub but still...

From a fair point of view he was easily one of the best last year. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...His rep brain snaps kept him from being regarded as the best in my opinion. (Not just vs us, he had a few ordinary moments for QLD)

I wouldn't even rate him in the top three fullbacks when all of the first choice ones were playing tbh
On form I'd say K Hunt is the first choice pick and Stewart (in his two games) as well Gidley and an in form Mckinnnon are better on their day.

a.c.e_old

QLD are sooooooo the underdogs here. They are about to do the unthinkable! They are two wins way from a 4peat, if anyones under the hammer its these bunch of guys and they know it, they are about to enter history, and we may never see this again.

So the QLDs are the underdogs if you ask me. NSW will choke because they are the favorites :)

doeboy_old

current odds through sports bet
Q.L.D $1.58
The mighty BLUES $2.40
these are the odds for the series