Gameday 2024 Trial 1 - Warriors vs Wests Tigers

Ale was great, although he is probably more suited to lock he did a fantastic job at prop. Early call but he could be the missing forward piece of the puzzle. Bunty was everywhere and between him and Ale our prop rotation may be ok

I would play Laban and Ali L again this week. Possibly the 2 out of the reserve grade lads that will see the most NRL action this year.

Rest RTS and keep CNK, AFB, Egan, DWZ and SJ wrapped up, unless they particularly want some game time. We have some depth now, and none of them have anything to prove.

At last someone saw what I saw !!! Thank you.
He to the eye test really surpassed and really muscled it up in the first 15 minutes when their big star forwards were on and Ice in particular was laying out beat downs. That was the best I have ever seen Bunty play. Someone else said it looked like he had bulked up his thighs considerably if so that could explain a lot.
I concur. I said it yesterday, He looked the best out of the forwards. Nothing flashy, Just hard graft shit. And played long minutes. He looks wider this year? Ale was great, got driven back a few times. Where Bunty looked solid and they were unable to do that to him lol.

I concur. I said it yesterday, He looked the best out of the forwards. Nothing flashy, Just hard graft shit. And played long minutes. He looks wider this year? Ale was great, got driven back a few times. Where Bunty looked solid and they were unable to do that to him lol.
Thank you Warrior Waka !! That makes three on Team Bunty and about 10 people on Team Ale plus a bloke in a bar is on Tom Ale (thanks for that Tookey and interested to see Laban on that list too !!! )

Ale was great, although he is probably more suited to lock he did a fantastic job at prop. Early call but he could be the missing forward piece of the puzzle. Bunty was everywhere and between him and Ale our prop rotation may be ok

I would play Laban and Ali L again this week. Possibly the 2 out of the reserve grade lads that will see the most NRL action this year.

Rest RTS and keep CNK, AFB, Egan, DWZ and SJ wrapped up, unless they particularly want some game time. We have some depth now, and none of them have anything to prove.
Although SJ blew out a lot of cobwebs in last years trial by for example failing to find touch on two penalties, given he is recovering from a high ankle strain I also hope him in particular we sit out.

Although SJ blew out a lot of cobwebs in last years trial by for example failing to find touch on two penalties, given he is recovering from a high ankle strain I also hope him in particular we sit out.
He did, but last year trials he was coming off an average season by his standards. His confidence is sky high and is enjoying his footy again. I would be ok with him sitting out until he is ready.

He did, but last year trials he was coming off an average season by his standards. His confidence is sky high and is enjoying his footy again. I would be ok with him sitting out until he is ready.
Good points. Well we find out tomorrow at 6pm when they name the team list. I would probably if coach wuss out on this decision and play him the first twenty minutes then sub him off toot sweet.

Intent unfortunately doesn’t matter anymore in either code. It’s deemed professional sportsmen’s technique should be good enough to not get in that position.
End of day it was bad technique that sent a guy to hospital, don’t think we can be too upset at a send off
Can agree to a point.
Makes it difficult if the ball carrier is dropping as the tackle goes in so there is a degree of what if.

The other thing is that if the Tigers guy had jumped straight back up and gone back into position, would the penalty have been so severe. Have to be careful with due cause and precedent I guess.

The stiff arm Ale got was a case in point as it looked (to me) like there was intent to hurt there as the arm was not just careless but also late into the tackle

Zyon Maiu’u should have been punished no doubt, just the circumstances make you think and also what will be the norm for the rest of the season.

Very contentious issue IMO

Halasima reminded me of Ice at the same age
Big future
He and Laban looked like next level talent
Agree he has a big future at only 18yo. It is a big call, but I would go further and say that Halasima reminds me Sonny Fai (RIL) - slightly less destructive perhaps, but the physique and raw talent/ability is there. Halasima made Bloke in a Bar's team of the week off ~25 mins in a team with only 12 on the field (Laban and Ale also very deserving inclusions, RTS should have been in there over Xerri too IMO).

While we're on comparisons (sorry Wrighty, McGahan was before my time), my Laban comparison would be a young Tohu (sans the hair and beard, and maybe ballplaying ability) - industrious second rower with a similar build and runs a very good line. Imagine Laban running off SJ.

Everyone pumping up Bunty please remember he looked just as good in the same trial last year. Everyone was talking about how much bigger he looked then too.
I’m not a hater, he does a job, but for anyone expecting anything different in 2024…I think we are going to end up seeing the same Bunty as 23,22,21…..
From my other comments you can see I am on team Bunty. In regards to this if he is putting in the work Webster is asking of him during preseason he should get picked. If he reverts back to 2023 Bunty he will get dropped like he did in 2023. Bunty must know that if he doesn't improve then it will be the ESL for him as Webster will not resign him without improvement.

From my other comments you can see I am on team Bunty. In regards to this if he is putting in the work Webster is asking of him during preseason he should get picked. If he reverts back to 2023 Bunty he will get dropped like he did in 2023. Bunty must know that if he doesn't improve then it will be the ESL for him
images.jpeg-59.jpg
as Webster will not resign him without improvement.
Bunty is a bench depth prop at best.

"And that's all I've got to say about that."
images.jpeg-59.jpg

Everyone pumping up Bunty please remember he looked just as good in the same trial last year. Everyone was talking about how much bigger he looked then too.
I’m not a hater, he does a job, but for anyone expecting anything different in 2024…I think we are going to end up seeing the same Bunty as 23,22,21…..

Props peak at a much later age and Bunty is now 27. This is his year to shine. He’s seems like a gentle giant. Don’t know what it takes to unlock Beastmode in this guy, but in Webby I trust

This season I’m hoping Webby leverages his big body more with the hit ups. He’s pretty much the same size as AFB and more than capable of bending the line. Needs to add variety in his running angles and style. One thing in particular he has a tendency to bend low and run dead straight when making contact. I prefer he runs more upright. He’s a big boy - no need to worry about getting smashed and put on your back. Practice the Māori side step or make contact using the shoulder more like Steven Price used to do. Run at holes. Grow your hair out full Afro like Willie Mason used to have and go berserko on the field. That would be glorious. Haha I love Bunty!

Last edited:
Props peak at a much later age and Bunty is now 27. This is his year to shine. He’s seems like a gentle giant. Don’t know what it takes to unlock Beastmode in this guy, but in Webby I trust

This season I’m hoping Webby leverages his big body more with the hit ups. He’s pretty much the same size as AFB and more than capable of bending the line. Needs to add variety in his running angles and style. One thing in particular he has a tendency to bend low and run dead straight when making contact. I prefer he runs more upright. He’s a big boy - no need to worry about getting smashed and put on your back. Practice the Māori side step or make contact using the shoulder more like Steven Price used to do. Run at holes. Grow your hair out full Afro like Willie Mason used to have and go berserko on the field. That would be glorious. Haha I love Bunty!
The difference between Bunty and AFB (or any elite prop for that matter) if footwork.

Bunty has none of it.

Unfortunately it’s not something that can be taught at that size or really at that age. He is who he is.

The difference between Bunty and AFB (or any elite prop for that matter) if footwork.

Bunty has none of it.

Unfortunately it’s not something that can be taught at that size or really at that age. He is who he is.
Who are you recommending out of Ale and Bunty or insert here up and comer for the bench position Five and Last?

Watching the replay we should have won.

Bunty was definitely obstructed, if you rewatch at slowed speed and real time it is impossible for him to reach the ball carrier in time to stop him after being blocked.

Robbed of an epic win there.

First Try was a not try.

Back