General Pre-season articles

PB_old

Link.

Photo call time for Vodafone Warriors

Camera shutters were working overtime on the Vodafone Warriors today.
The entire 30-man NRL squad warmed up for their training day with a two-hour photo shoot.
Apart from the traditional team photo, competition winners and some sponsors were also photographed with the team (including Flava's crew from the Full Phat Breakfast).
Players were also captured in various profile poses for this year's official team poster, which will be distributed free with the Herald on Sunday on March 4, the day the Vodafone Warriors open their 2012 campaign with their 'Get Even at Eden' grand final rematch against Manly at Eden Park (check out www.warriors.co.nz or www.ticketek.co.nz for information about buying tickets).
As well as being shot in the eye-catching new home and away jerseys revealed late last year, players also modelled the stunning yet-to-be-launched heritage strip. It is due to be worn for the home game against Gold Coast at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday March 24 (Canterbury of New Zealand's match day) and in the Heritage Round against the Sydney Roosters at Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday, March 31.
One group of players - Simon Mannering, Manu Vatuvei, Jacob Lillyman, Feleti Mateo, James Maloney and Shaun Johnson - broke off to do some shots for use by sponsors and other promotional purposes.
Jerome Ropati, Lewis Brown, Kevin Locke and Elijah Taylor were used to model the Vodafone Warriors' Canterbury of New Zealand-produced range of apparel for Playbill's 2012 merchandise brochure. The brochure will be published soon showing off the Vodafone Warriors' full range of merchandise (go to SHOP on the home page www.warriors.co.nz for more information).

Wearing the heritage jersey against the Roosters away makes sense. In our away strip we might have mistakenly been cheered on by their fans. All 6 of them.

*emphasis added obviously mine.

mrblonde_old

The 2012 predictions issue of Rugby League Week is interesting...
3/8 tipsters are picking the Warriors to win the Telstra Premiership. I don't think I've ever seen it greater than 1 before....:D
Geyer's tips:
Telstra Premiers - Bulldogs.
Wooden Spooners - Raiders.
Biggest Improvers - Eels.
Biggest Sliders - Sea Eagles.

Mind you, in the previous week's RLW, The Mole predicted the Warriors would have a big slide in 2012...

sebastian_old

The 2012 predictions issue of Rugby League Week is interesting...
3/8 tipsters are picking the Warriors to win the Telstra Premiership. I don't think I've ever seen it greater than 1 before....:D
Geyer's tips:
Telstra Premiers - Bulldogs.
Wooden Spooners - Raiders.
Biggest Improvers - Eels.
Biggest Sliders - Sea Eagles.

Mind you, in the previous week's RLW, The Mole predicted the Warriors would have a big slide in 2012...

After that tip, all his other tips suddenly lost credibilty.

All though he stuck up for us, so badly, last season. Was saying things were biased, which was true after the Tigers game. Things no one else had the guts to say.

Spence_old

I don't see why Bulldogs is a bad call? I think they'll definitely be up there next year. They've got an amazing forward pack, plus with Barba at the back... I guess their halves are their only let down, but they're young, they'll get better.

ToiletDuck_old

Beginning of season tips are always impossible anyway. There's always a few lol moments when reading pre-season articles come September.

I don't think Bulldogs is a terrible tip, I'd probably have them in the 'Biggest improvers' section rather than tipping them for the title. But Hasler is a good coach, knows how to put a premiership winning squad together and takes no BS. Will be watching their progress.

Northern_Union

I've got the dogs fininshing about 5th. Hasler will be a big factor for them and they have a talented pack.

sebastian_old

I can't see how you guys can rate their halves and backline. And i don't mind the actual team, so its not like i'm biased. Besides a good pack, that team looks ordinary and mediocre, being kind.

sebastian_old

For anyone wanting to make their own mind up, heres the Dogs team from last season. Don't forget to add Ennis & Graham and take away Idris & Ryan..

Barba, Turner, Morris, Idris, Wright, Romelo, Hodkinson, Tolman, Reynolds, Kasiano, Pritchard, Ryan (c), Stagg. Bench: Hodgson, Paea, Warburton, Keating

Last edited by a moderator:

Spence_old

Barba, Turner, Morris, Lafai and MacDougal/Lett/Wright isn't that bad of a backline. I think their halves are the only things that let them down.

sebastian_old

Barba, Turner, Morris, Lafai and MacDougal/Lett/Wright isn't that bad of a backline. I think their halves are the only things that let them down.

I've just gotten back from speaking to a Dogs fan, a lifetime Dogs fan. He stated they are looking forward to 2013 when Des can begin to get rid of their "shit backline". Barba is great in attack but is so bad in defense that i'd actually put someone else there and play Barba in the halves or as a utility off the bench.

Just on the Dogs, for anyone interested, the trial result was, Roosters 28 - Bulldogs 16.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirpartyman_old

And Mr Mascord reckon's we'll be the biggest sliders in 2012.

Yeah but did you read his reasons as to why? They were comical & I can no longer take this dude serious.. Does he even watch the warriors?

His reasons off the top of my head were... The moving on of Hohaia & Berrigan... Ooooook then there's two great reasons for the Warriors demise,NOT! What dumb reasons. Did his editor forget to tell him the Warriors are in the golden era? & Hohaia is past his best & can you remind me what Berrigan did in his 2minutes in warriors colours?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329382407.683274.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329382407.683274.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 9

2big2strong_old

If you follow Mascord on twitter at all you'll realize that he doesn't seem to watch much league these days. Instead he seems to be trying to re-live 1986 on Van Halens tour bus. He's completely obsessed with glam rock and travels the world writing articles about glam rock concerts. I actually quite like Steve, I'm just calling ignorance on this one.

Beeteejay_old

If you follow Mascord on twitter at all you'll realize that he doesn't seem to watch much league these days. Instead he seems to be trying to re-live 1986 on Van Halens tour bus. He's completely obsessed with glam rock and travels the world writing articles about glam rock concerts. I actually quite like Steve, I'm just calling ignorance on this one.

He's about the only Aussie journo that flys to Auckland every second week of the season to cover Warriors home games.