General Pre-season articles

Patu_old

The last games I saw of Friend he was the stand out in a crap team, the year before that he was a standout in a great team (knocked us out of the finals I believe?)

If hes 100% fit, I think hes the missing link to our allready electric/dynamic spine

2012 warriors premiers :D
Don't think we've had a classier hooker at the club since PJ Marsh. Sorry to use the term "training the house down" ... but he really is already looking like the fittest guy at the club. He's absolutely killing all the fitness sessions.

You'd have to be super-fit to play 80 minutes at hooker, so this guy is the real deal. The other thing I like about Friend is that he's not just a defensive hooker. We all know he tops the tackle counts on most days, but he's also got the vision needed to organise the forwards or spin it out to the halves to create. Probably my biggest pet hates is for hookers who don't pass the ball (the thing that frustrated me with Hendo's game).

Looking forward to seeing Friend in action.

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah I think Friend is a class above what we've had running round in the 9 jersey over the past few years. In theory should be great for Shaun Johnson...hopefully he (Friend) stays injury free.

Warrioraholic_old

Don't think we've had a classier hooker at the club since PJ Marsh. Sorry to use the term "training the house down" ... but he really is already looking like the fittest guy at the club. He's absolutely killing all the fitness sessions.

You'd have to be super-fit to play 80 minutes at hooker, so this guy is the real deal. The other thing I like about Friend is that he's not just a defensive hooker. We all know he tops the tackle counts on most days, but he's also got the vision needed to organise the forwards or spin it out to the halves to create. Probably my biggest pet hates is for hookers who don't pass the ball (the thing that frustrated me with Hendo's game).

Looking forward to seeing Friend in action.

Thats good news, thanks for the update Patu. I know Berrigan was in a similar position last year but he just never really grabed it with both hands. I think Friend will definitley become another fan favourite and do well in the jersey.

David James_old

Awesome post about Friend

Stoked to hear this. I've been defending the signing of Friend to mates since we signed him, I feel it could and will be one of best signings. Him working with our forward pack could be a thing of beauty.

Spence_old

What does this mean for our club? Perhaps a change in marketing strategies, etc?

fanrrior_old

Johns is working mainly with the halves, hookers and fullbacks, and has relished the chance to run the rule over talented 21-year-old Johnson.
imo Locke is gonna improve the most under Joey. We already know that Locke has some playmaking talents. Hopefully with the help of Johns, his fellow spine members and probably even Stacey Jones, Locke will get pushed to the next level of awesomeness. All he needs is to amp up his support game and we will have a younger albeit less experienced Slater as our fullback.

Sure, Johnson etc will improve as well. But that might not just be because of what Johns will be doing. If you think about it, as long as Bluey gets a good formation going then we would be sorted. Maloney, Johnson and Friend's stengths compliments the skills of each other.

They also balances out each others weak points too. Friend isn't exactly known for running up the guts... but Maloney is. Though i've heard Maloney isn't the best at passing, maybe Johnson can give him a hand. Sadly, last year Johnson coudn't tackle very well. But surely Friend will be good at that ay?

If my dreams about what will happen this season does come true, then all I really want from Locke is for him to keep doing his thing on D and chip in on attack every now and then. Unlike the Tigers and the Cowboys we don't rely on just one or two members of our spine. Rather, we have four people who know how to share the roles and perform them well. Our spine (as a whole) ranks third in my list, right after the Storm and Manly. But since the Storm is pretty much average every where else and we don't know how well Manly is dealling with the break up... lets just say I like our chances.

Spence_old

Locke obviously has some play making ability, but I have been somewhat disappointed with his passing game at times. He isn't quite as crisp and accurate as a Slater, Boyd, Bowen, etc. That will come with time though.

ToiletDuck_old

imo Locke is gonna improve the most under Joey. We already know that Locke has some playmaking talents. Hopefully with the help of Johns, his fellow spine members and probably even Stacey Jones

His fellow vertebrae?

Tajhay_old

Last edited by a moderator:

ToiletDuck_old

Lol.

Nah you missed the 'off the record' interview.

"Nah mate Cleary/Hart have done sweet F all. I've been here for a month and from what I can see, Sam Lousi is the brains behind this club. Ackland and Iro are a great supporting cast, Cleary just sat there plugging Brett Seymour and Michael Crockett while selling our juniors to Aussie clubs. As for Hart, well that dude kept talking to me about Sean Fitzpatrick as a future Warrior captain so I had to let the douche go."

Jesbass_old

Lol, the pack mentality lives on...

I actually saw that headline and wanted to yell: "Bluey doesn't want Inu!"

ToiletDuck_old

Lol, the pack mentality lives on...

I actually saw that headline and wanted to yell: "Bluey doesn't want Inu!"

Haha, well from where I'm sitting, if you're going to say outrageous things then at least have the humour to cop what follows.