General Poll - Matthew Dufty to the Warriors - Yes or No?

Matthew Dufty in a Warriors Jersey. Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • No

Votes: 73 71.6%

• Total voters
I voted yes if:

1. His spot on the team is contestable (ie not another Kodi owning his jersey) and
2. We get him for a decent price

We have almost zero speed in the backline. Dufty has speed in spades. So does Walsh. But that’s about it. Plus we have limited options in the spine. Egan is OK but not durable. Kodi is OK. Walsh is amazing. Sean O'Sullivan is a fill in. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck gone. That’s it.

Our keeness for his suggests we have been unsuccessful with other options so far

Seen it said by Dragons fans that he's a poor trainer, won't put the hard work in and gets by on natural talent which is why Hook doesn't want to resign him. Hook doesn't compromise, he doesn't give a fuck what the fans think. He isn't saying it publicly so that Dufty can get a gig elsewhere so he's doing the right thing by the player too.

Defense is attitude and determination, if you don't enjoy being good at it, leagues not the game for you. No for wing as well, I don't see him stopping normal sized opposition wingers, what does he do with Sivo?

Reactions: Zarjaz and Sup42
Dead simple. Stand still and the pig can’t pass, unless you have footballers bow legs that is in which case the pig might slip through
1623713161561.png

After you sunshine.

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
I don't believe we're looking at Dufty as a winger and I believe Walsh will be FB.

You dont think he would be any good, or we dont want him at wing or he wouldnt want to play in that position?

I think he would be a fantastic winger. Defending is way easier than defending at FB. He's got speed to burn. Has the experience of covering FB.

Needs to tackle low which is easy if the ball runner has no space, and only charge straight at you AKA prop wing.

However it then makes me wonder what Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was promised if the rumours are true that he has signed.... he is the cover FB for Walsh?....

3 players with Fullback skills???? sure, why the hell not. Look how well NSW played with 3 full backs - 2 playing at Centre....

Reactions: matiunz and Inruin

Billy Teets James

You dont think he would be any good, or we dont want him at wing or he wouldnt want to play in that position?

I think he would be a fantastic winger. Defending is way easier than defending at FB. He's got speed to burn. Has the experience of covering FB.

Needs to tackle low which is easy if the ball runner has no space, and only charge straight at you AKA prop wing.
You mock the prop wing. Which is fair enough.
Defensively, Ken was slow at turning, Slow in sliding. Just slow.

Dufty has speed to burn. But has no defense at all. Can't tackle high or low. And his defensive reads is terrible.
He'll get out leapt by almost everyone being 4ft 3.
May score a couple, Will get scored on 10 times.

Who does he have inside him? Berry or Aitken?
Berry is young, Having to cover Dufty in defense will burn the young fulla out.
Aitken will hardly pass him the ball. So who sets him up to utilise his speed?

I'd love a speed boat. But not if it leaks everytime i put it in the water.

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
You mock the prop wing. Which is fair enough.
Defensively, Ken was slow at turning, Slow in sliding. Just slow.

Dufty has speed to burn. But has no defense at all. Can't tackle high or low. And his defensive reads is terrible.
He'll get out leapt by almost everyone being 4ft 3.
May score a couple, Will get scored on 10 times.

Who does he have inside him? Berry or Aitken?
Berry is young, Having to cover Dufty in defense will burn the young fulla out.
Aitken will hardly pass him the ball. So who sets him up to utilise his speed?

I'd love a speed boat. But not if it leaks everytime i put it in the water.

Yes mate, despite Ken scoring a hat trick in the weekend, I am so over prop wings.

And, dont agree on your assessment of Dufty defensively.

You dont keep an NRL full back position for 5 years at one club if you are as weak defensively as suggested.

What i did see yesterday from him on defense, was hesitation.

All it takes is a fraction of a section of hesitation to fuck up a tackle.

And u saw it yesterday with him.

Do I take the ball carrier, should i come in on the tackle?.

Waiting too long to make the decision.. opportunity gone....

I think that can be corrected.

He needs some simple rules on defense - dont hesitate and take the man with the ball as the safest option.

That might not apply to all situations, but it has to be the first rule on defense.

I've played full back, center and wing back in the day. Fullback is easily the hardest position to play. Defensive reads, positioning yourself, cover, taking the high ball, directing the D line, knowing when to come in on attack....

I think relegate Dufty to wing and he can be our little pocket rocket like To'o is for the panthers.

He can tackle, that much i do know. Its just his hesitation and body positioning that needs fixing....

I would have him over Montoya or Kosi any day of the week.

Mr Frank White

Contributor
Yes mate, despite Ken scoring a hat trick in the weekend, I am so over prop wings.

And, dont agree on your assessment of Dufty defensively.

You dont keep an NRL full back position for 5 years at one club if you are as weak defensively as suggested.

What i did see yesterday from him on defense, was hesitation.

All it takes is a fraction of a section of hesitation to fuck up a tackle.

And u saw it yesterday with him.

Do I take the ball carrier, should i come in on the tackle?.

Waiting too long to make the decision.. opportunity gone....

I think that can be corrected.

He needs some simple rules on defense - dont hesitate and take the man with the ball as the safest option.

That might not apply to all situations, but it has to be the first rule on defense.

I've played full back, center and wing back in the day.

Fullback is easiest the hardest position to play. Defensive reads, positioning yourself, cover, taking the high ball, directly the D line, knowing when to come in on attack....

I think relegate Dufty to wing and he can be our little pocket rocket like To'o is for the panthers.

He can tackle, that much i do know.

Its just his hesitation and body positioning that needs fixing....
Plus the Drags were shit all over the shop. So many missed or broken tackles that Dufty had to have half an attempt to cover up. I mean if 3 blokes can't tackle the ball carrier, do you really blame the 4th bloke in??

Reactions: Beastmode

However it then makes me wonder what Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was promised if the rumours are true that he has signed.... he is the cover FB for Walsh?....

3 players with Fullback skills???? sure, why the hell not. Look how well NSW played with 3 full backs - 2 playing at Centre....

I don't think Dufty would want to play wing at all. I also think he would be wasted there. His best games are when he's running up the middle or ball playing from the middle at pace. Speed is the only winger trait he has.

Defensively his biggest issue at FB is his kick defusals. He often lets the ball bounce instead of catching it and can come up with some howlers when cleaning up kicks. I think if he were wing he'd get targeted pretty relentlessly and it wouldn't end well for us.

Reactions: Beastmode

Mr Frank White

Contributor
I don't think Dufty would want to play wing at all. I also think he would be wasted there. His best games are when he's running up the middle or ball playing from the middle at pace. Speed is the only winger trait he has.

Defensively his biggest issue at FB is his kick defusals. He often lets the ball bounce instead of catching it and can come up with some howlers when cleaning up kicks. I think if he were wing he'd get targeted pretty relentlessly and it wouldn't end well for us.
Screenshot_20210615-121809__01.jpg

Mr Frank White

Contributor
Only 16 teams in the comp and he comes 19th. Lol.

That list doesn't even include wingers. He'd be so far down the kick defusal rankings with wingers included.

I like watching Dufty play but having him at fullback scares me, and on the wing terrifies me.
Keeps company with Gutho, Edwards and Lattrell though...