General Pick Your Team - Round 10 Vs Panthers

Problem with 2002 style vs 2013 style... we do not have the team to pull it off.

Look in awe at our '02 Grand Final team:

1 Ivan Cleary (in his prime, ace goal kick, defensive genius) - Locke is a kid.
2 Justin Murphy (tradesman with speed, well-utilised)
3 John Carlaw (tradesman who will never let you down)
4 Clinton Toopi (in his prime, electric attacker, aggressive though dodgy defender) - Do we even have two centres today!?
5 Francis Meli (in his prime, smashes everyone, scores 5-try hauls)
6 Motu Tony (youngster but good compliment to Jones) - Leuluai probably better.
7 Stacey Jones (GOD in his prime, scored the best solo GF try ever) - Johnson is a kid.
8 Jerry Seu Seu (in his prime, aggressive hard running prop) - Rapira in a couple of years.
9 PJ Marsh (our best ever hooker by a long shot) - Friend looks boring by comparison.
10 Mark Tookey (big, bends the line) - Packer on a good day.
11 Ali Lauiti'iti (offload king, big hitter) - Mateo wishes he was this guy.
12 Awen Guttenbeil (Big angry hard running hard hitting) - Mannering the PG version.
13 Kevin Campion (our best ever lock) - Lowrie wishes he was this guy.

14 Lance Hohaia (super sub at his young, electric best) - Godinet not even close.
15 Logan Swann (at his best again, big, hard running offloader) - Lillyman's a prop.
16 Wairangi Koopu (mobile, ran great lines, defensive workhorse) - Taylor a smaller, weaker version.
17 Richard Villasanti (at his best, big, angry prop who can offload) - Matulino if he took crack would be this.

That team had everything we lack, and still couldn't win the damn comp.
I agree, but I also think that too much of the current side has had their game steralised. Matulino and Packer loved to offload, Packer shows glimpses of his ball playing ability with his little shovle on passes which I love. I honestly think if we can get some second phase ball play going from our front rowers, Mateos game will come to life as well and then we can spread the ball to Hurrell and Vatuvei one on one.

We need one more big guy that loves to offload, even if he is a prop. Kasiano and Fifita would be at the top of my list. I think we need one of those two more than we need Tomkins, but Tomkins plus one of those two, and a 'back yourself in the appropriate situations' mentality and we can turn this ship around.

Reactions: Sup42 and Hitman82

Danpatmac

I want to see Havili get a run over Pita...He is ready...We need his dummy half running...he's strong and has good speed...better than pita in defence...And put Tangi Ropati in at wing and put Bill Tupou in the vulcans...but that won't happen...or will it

couldn't agree less

Reactions: Defence
VODAFONE WARRIORS v PENRITH PANTHERS
Centrebet Stadium, Penrith
7.30pm, Saturday, May 18
VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 GLEN FISIIAHI
2 BILL TUPOU
3 BEN HENRY
4 CARLOS TUIMAVAVE
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 THOMAS LEULUAI
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 NATHAN FRIEND
10 RUSSELL PACKER
11 FELETI MATEO
12 SIMON MANNERING (c)
13 TODD LOWRIE

Interchange:
14 BEN MATULINO
15 JACOB LILLYMAN
16 ELIJAH TAYLOR
17 PITA GODINET
18 SUAIA MATAGI

HEAD COACH: MATTHEW ELLIOTT

7.30pm, Saturday, May 18
VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 GLEN FISIIAHI
2 BILL TUPOU
3 BEN HENRY
4 CARLOS TUIMAVAVE
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 THOMAS LEULUAI
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 NATHAN FRIEND
10 RUSSELL PACKER
11 FELETI MATEO
12 SIMON MANNERING (c)
13 TODD LOWRIE

Interchange:
14 BEN MATULINO
15 JACOB LILLYMAN
16 ELIJAH TAYLOR
17 PITA GODINET
18 SUAIA MATAGI

I ddnt see enough from CT to think he should be ahead of Hurrell..

7.30pm, Saturday, May 18
VODAFONE WARRIORS
1 GLEN FISIIAHI
2 BILL TUPOU
3 BEN HENRY
4 CARLOS TUIMAVAVE
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 THOMAS LEULUAI
7 SHAUN JOHNSON
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 NATHAN FRIEND
10 RUSSELL PACKER
11 FELETI MATEO
12 SIMON MANNERING (c)
13 TODD LOWRIE

Interchange:
14 BEN MATULINO
15 JACOB LILLYMAN
16 ELIJAH TAYLOR
17 PITA GODINET
18 SUAIA MATAGI

Ok this is a joke. Why are Laumape and Hurrell nowhere near the first team? Fuck sake and Taylor, Carlos etc etc are still there.

This selection is a joke.

Reactions: ramps and Jay M
Ok this is a joke. Why are Laumape and Hurrell nowhere near the first team? Fuck sake and Taylor, Carlos etc etc are still there.

This selection is a joke.
Konrad has had numerous chances and keeps dropping the ball. Now it's his turn to earn his way back in.

Laumape will get his chances and I think it's good he's still learning his craft in the Vulcans.

Konrad has had numerous chances and keeps dropping the ball. Now it's his turn to earn his way back in.

Laumape will get his chances and I think it's good he's still learning his craft in the Vulcans.

Yeah, while we use a centre who is not as good as either in the first grade. Great logic.

Reactions: Jay M
Yeah, while we use a centre who is not as good as either in the first grade. Great logic.
Carlos has far more skill than both. He's not a battering ram like Konrad but his skill set is miles above.

And at least we're not getting to start a defensive set inside our own 40 after yet another dropped ball

Conrad has far more skill than both. He's not a battering ram like Konrad but his skill set is miles above.

And at least we're not getting to start a defensive set inside our own 40 after yet another dropped ball
Assuming you mean Carlos, didn't the last Bulldogs try come from after Tuimavave dropped the ball by Mateo near the middle of the field?

My assumption is that ME has come up with an idea of as many playmakers as he can fit. He is looking to score more points in our first half. I reckon if we can score enough that the other team see no way of running us down, it will turn around the Bermuda Triangle.

Carlos has been put at centre, as someone else said, to give Manu some ball in space, and also for any other ball skills he can offer.

I still believe Carlos's defence will improve when he stops thinking he is a kid in a mans team, and realizes he has a little bit of size to go with his potential.

Carlos has far more skill than both. He's not a battering ram like Konrad but his skill set is miles above.

To be fair Hurrell has been used as a battering ram early in tackle counts, waste I reckon. I still believe he offers more than Tuimavave, still, he has the gig, good luck to him.