General Pick Your Team Rnd 9 - Sharks vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Hurrell is becoming our version of Jamal Idris, starts his career like a house on fire, gets dropped/injured a lot, too much off the field shit, Idris needed 3 different clubs before settling down.

I think they can reign him in, if the team goes up a level and he wants to be a part of it, he’ll have to wake up to himself. He's well and truly under contract now, they'll persevere for as long as it takes i think. They do have options in his postion, not great options, but some.

Bring his mum back over!

The rep round made me think they need to roll out the most motivated and hungry 17 they can find, would include:
Fish (his careers on the line, needs to play) and Peyroux (he does try hard, not a big fan, but can’t deny that)
Probably at right wing and left centre respectively.

Last edited:
Watching Kiwis and the way Manu and Shaun Johnson played on offense and on D was mighty impressive. I believe they are not doing that for the Warriors because of the weakness around them. Our big problem is centre. Our centres always change, are young and unreliable.
For mine Tui has to play. He can distribute, break tackles and has speed. I would play Tui at centre. He has to be in the 17 with Tomkins returning. He seems to be able to play left or right side so I have no preference.
Konnie, Kata, Fish, Fusitua, Wright, Allwood can fight it out for the remaining 2 spots.
We need to stick to the same team for next 2 games.
We lose our next 2 and 2015 is effectively over. This is a must win and very winnable game.
For the bench I've changed my mind and would have: Friend, Lisone, Vete, Rapira. Time for Cappy to bring muscle and stop selecting passengers.

1. Tomkins
  2. Fisiiahi
  3. Hurrell (If Hurrell is still out of form during the game, sub him for Loloheia asap)
  4. Kata
  5. Manu
  6. Townsend
  7. Shaun Johnson
  8. Lillyman
  9. Leuluai
  10. Matulino
  11. Thompson
  12. Hoffman
  13. Mannering
  14. Loloheia (to cover halves, centres, wings, and fullback) if necessary throw him in at hooker aswell or Kata I guess if he has played there before
  15. Lisone
  16. Vete
  17. Rapira
Hopefully this round of internationals invigorates the Warriors players and takes them to a new level, like Origin for the Aussies

Last edited:
I'm not.

I could watch him scoring tries like that all day. And we need him to shine.

Can we have Konrad and the Fish back on the right side, please?

Did you watch him in the Tonga test on the weekend?

I'm absolutly over Hurrell right now. Clown on and off the field. Sure, he can provide a few barnstorming runs and highlight reel trys. But the discrepancies in his game are still there 3 years later, and he seems to be too busy clowning around on Instagram instead of focusing on improving this.

Don't get me wrong, I love him as a player. But he hasn't shown the drive and determination I would expect from him now. He isn't a rook anymore, he has around 50 NRL games under his belt. Yet, he's still getting dropped to the reserves on a season-to-season basis. Fuck, he should have cemented his spot now to be honest. Can keep waiting on him to develop while we ignore other players itching to get on the field.

For mine, Solomone Kata will become the player we've all expected Hurrell to be. Kata played fantastic for Tonga, and has been solid for the Warriors most of this season. Only 7 games under his belt as well, hes only going to get better.

Just as strong as Konnie, just as fast. Has more promise defensively, and has more awareness on the pitch. I just feel Kata will have the stronger drive to become a better player, a drive I haven't seen from Konnie yet this season.

I'm happy to be proven wrong though. I want Hurrell to realize his potential. I hope he does. But right now, his highlight reel plays ain't enough to overshadow the areas of his game he lacks and his lack of drive to better these.

Last edited:
Did you watch him in the Tonga test on the weekend?

I'm absolutly over Hurrell right now. Clown on and off the field. Sure, he can provide a few barnstorming runs and highlight reel trys. But the discrepancies in his game are still there 3 years later, and he seems to be too busy clowning around on Instagram instead of focusing on improving this.

Don't get me wrong, I love him as a player. But he hasn't shown the drive and determination I would expect from him now. He isn't a rook anymore, he has around 50 NRL games under his belt. Yet, he's still getting dropped of the reserves on a season-to-season basis. Fuck, he should have cemented his spot now to be honest. Can keep waiting on him to develop while we ignore other players itching to get on the field.

For mine, Solomone Kata will become the player we've all expected Hurrell to be. Kata played fantastic for Tonga, and has been solid for the Warriors most of this season. Only 7 games under his belt as well, hes only going to get better.

Just as strong as Konnie, just as fast. Has more promise defensively, and has more awareness on the pitch. I just feel Kata will have the stronger drive to become a better player, a drive I haven't seen from Konnie yet this season.

I'm happy to be proven wrong though. I want Hurrell to realize his potential. I hope he does. But right now, his highlight reel plays ain't enough to overshadow the areas of his game he lacks and his lack of drive to better these.

Unfortunately you are spot on.
He's just not there this year. Last year he was lazy and overweight during summer, this year he's made an effort in pre-season but he just isn't there. He's really lacking focus: throwing stupid passes (which he's always done), and defensively he just shirt grabs and gets bumped off. I don't know what the deal is but there seems to be a ton of complacency in the way he plays.
Konnie needs to play with hunger and make much better decisions on and off the field. Jokes are great when your winning, but when your a clown off the field and a clown on it, the tide turns.
I'm running out of patience with Konnie too, the player he can be is not the player we are seeing in 2015.
He's development looks to have gone backwards this year and I know there has been injuries, but excuses can't be used. He's playing poorly.

Reactions: 2 people

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
So how do the warriors take this win by NZ and turn around a season that is quickly falling beside the roadside?

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
1. Sam Tomkins
2. David Fusitua
3. Tuimoala Lolohea
4. Solomone Kata
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Chad Townsend
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jacob Lillyman
9. Thomas Leuluai
10. Ben Matulino
11. Bodene Thompson
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Simon Mannering

14. Siliva Havili
15. Sam Lisone
16. Sam Rapira
17. Sebastine Ikahihifo

was Havili out there this weekend? if so how did he go. I dont remember seeing his name, but i only saw the Kiwis and the Samoa/Tonga games

• Haha
Reactions: Billyspleen75
So how do the warriors take this win by NZ and turn around a season that is quickly falling beside the roadside?
They have to emphasize to the outside backs and edge forwards that they have to number up on defence, support their team mates and finish tackles off or wrap up the ball if the arms are free, and focus on the ball on attack. Those are the things the Kiwis did perfectly

The handling was a bit dodgy in the second half but Im sure Ausy was spoiling and getting away with it, and that will happen for the Warriors too. They need to stay strong, number up and make the tackles like the Kiwis did. NRL refs are shocking for giving the underdog a leg up. If a teams getting thrashed, more often than not, they will get the rub of the green in the second half. That philosophy goes all the way back to Bill Harrigan.

Reactions: SilentOne

Jordan G

Laumape officially ruled out for the season apparently.

I just don't trust Hurrell at the moment. Hands and defense just aren't where they need to be.

If Tomkins is back then Lolohea and Kata are the centre pairing for me. Fusitua and Wright can battle it out for the wing spot.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Blargh, latest injury update pushed Tomkins return back another week or 2, fish also unavailable, laumape gorne.

Same line up on the cards then, fckn great.

Dang.

I struggle to see how we're going to recover this season...

Just too many injuries, relying on too many rookies...

Gutting.

On the bright side, how good did Tommy, Shaun and Roger look, combining on the weekend? They were awesome. We will have 3/4s of the spine of the best Rugby League team on the planet next year.

Reactions: Defence and fizurg
No matter which way you cut it, our right edge looks piss weak.
Konnie and Fusitua have forgotten where their shoulders are and I can't see them stopping anything that comes their way. Sharks just have to spread it wide and get our guys one on one to score. Konnie will either rush up and miss or he'll stand flat footed and try to push. Fusitua, he'll push his man over the try line.

We saw on Sunday that there is little wrong with Shaun Johnson's defence, its the lack of quality outside him that is costing us. Bo and Shaun Johnson will have to do a ton of tackling if there is to be any chance of protecting our line. I'd almost consider putting Shaun Johnson on the wing to ensure there is some communication coming from the outside but I can't see Fusitua doing much better 2 or 3 in.

I have no problem with selecting rookies to learn how to play NRL, and Fusitua is the guy. Terrific finisher, he needs to volunteer for more runs and use his natural size and strength to crash into the line (like Manu). He obviously needs to learn to defend better and to communicate with those inside him. Fusitua should be given the time this year to develop in first grade. If he makes more major mistakes then drop him by all means. But he needs to be given a chance to develop. With Ngani gone for the year and Fish looking like he's done. (Can anyone see him being able to play 12 games in a row when he recovers? He can't even get through 2 games of reserve grade.) Fusitua or Wright are our options for the right wing in 2015. Or maybe Tui if Tomkins recovers this year. I'm losing optimism quickly.

Konnie has been training with the first grade team since pre-season 2012. That's over 80 games by my count that he's been around the big boys. Surely by now he would have learnt to tackle and not shirt grab? He's been around the team for a long time and he is still completely unreliable. Amazing on his day and an absolute match winner. I love seeing him run the ball and carry 4 men over the line or smash through them. That is awesome. But I hate seeing opposition wingers and centres palm him off. I hate seeing him drop the ball on our line. I hate seeing him throw the worst off loads.
This is a whole team problem, not just Konnie. But he is a major culprit of lacking effort for sustained periods of time and I'm so sick and tired of worrying about which Konnie I will see on the weekend.

I really want to be positive and hopeful about our team. But the record speaks for itself 3-5 and we are yet to put in a performance for longer than 60mins this year.

2 games and a bye coming up. We should get our season on track and go to 5-5 with us getting a couple of soft games, or we can keep doing what we are doing and we're looking at 3-7 and another year down the toilet.

Is the team named yet?
Yep
CRONULLA SHARKS v VODAFONE WARRIORS

Remondis Stadium, Cronulla

5.30pm, Saturday, May 9

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 TUIMOALA LOLOHEA

2 JONATHAN WRIGHT

3 KONRAD HURRELL

4 SOLOMONE KATA

5 MANU VATUVEI

6 CHAD TOWNSEND

7 SHAUN JOHNSON

8 JACOB LILLYMAN

9 THOMAS LEULUAI

10 BEN MATULINO

11 BODENE THOMPSON

12 RYAN HOFFMAN

13 SIMON MANNERING (c)

Interchange:

14 NATHAN FRIEND

15 DOMINIQUE PEYROUX

16 SAM LISONE

17 SAM RAPIRA

18 ALBERT VETE

I have tried to rationalise and defend Cappy's selections this year. But its hard to understand what Peyroux's role is in our side. Its obvious Cappy only wants to use a 3 man bench, like Wayne at Brisbane, and give Simon a 15-20minute break a game but surely we'd be better served unleashing Vete for 20 mins of passion and strong running then Peyroux. Vete has more chance of bending the line and tiring their big men out.

And how did Konnie earn his spot back?
I'm all for our second rowers playing 80 minutes, but we should carry 3 props on the bench to go nuts in the middle with 20-30 minute stints.

They really have to win this weekend cause this season is so close to getting out of reach.

Tomkins is meant to be 1-2 weeks away. I've heard this about so many players it probably means a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.