General Pick Your Team Rnd 9 - Sharks vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Keeping the team they had last week

im taking a different tack here. In almost every game this season someone has made the comment that Shaun Johnson looks injured, that hes hobbling, etc... However in my opinion his week to week effort has been good, not great but good. This week I want to see him pushed to breaking point.

I would like to see him and Chad for that instance given a goal to achieve. I would like to see them tackled with ball in hands a minimum of 10 times a game, a line break also counts as that is the oppositions failure in shutting them down. (if they already get tackled 10 times then make it 20, you get the idea).

the youngsters get their own special rules.

Then i want to see Fusitua and Wright (if they are going to persevere with him) given the same requirements for tackles completed in the oppositions half.

Kata needs to have a passing requirement applied

Tui a high ball requirement applied.

Each of them need a punishment and a reward for achieving said result, or not. As all these players appear to be playing for themselves and not the team make the reward punishment specific to them. Explain to these young men that the rest of the team is waiting on them to get their act together. They are no longer going to protect them and its cut throat time.

For Manu i have a special treat. If he can go 2 games with no dropsies he gets his mate (hurrell) back in FG. and not till then.

In 2 weeks time:

Lolohea
Kata
Hurrell
Fusitua
Manu
Tompkins
Shaun Johnson
Mutts
TL
Lillyman
Hoffman
Mannering
Seb

Townsend
Lisone
Rapira
Vete

Changes need to be made.
Townsend is killing me with the last play options and errors. Whatever this left and right thing Cappy is trying hasnt worked. But he has pace and linebreaking ability, reduce his impact by playing him as a bench hooker/utility and a 3rd playmaker option is the vein of Farah/Smith.
Tompkins and Shaun Johnson get free rein in the halves.
Thompsons constant shirt grabbing defence sees him dropped.
Lisone to spell Seb at lock.

Reactions: Dalts
This sharks side is pretty ordinary, just the sort of Sydney team that has absolutely put us to the sword time and time again in the past. So many demons in this Warriors side, I can't see how we can come out and win in NSW any time soon. NZ tab will be offering plenty of sympathy money.

Anyone else but Wright. Granted he hasnt been our worst but he would be the first one picked if the Sharks could pick our team. Maybe that should be a thread. Who the Sharks would pick if they could. Friend would feature. Would you pick Hurrel you play against you?. Probably not.

a close source to the team said that cappy had told dom peyroux that this will be his last game of first grade when he ran out against the cowboys in the changing room before the game started. pretty harsh on the kid
maybe he told him to play like its his last?

Reactions: matiunz

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
Go and watch the 2014 Four Nations and also Mannerings 200th game is a good example of how effective he is on the edge. Team dynamics prompted the call to move him into the middle but injuries along with playing personel have changed the way we ARE playing this season, now the team needs his skills and presence on the right and the young bulls raging up the middle.

Matulino and Lillyman are in need of more support and impact up the middle so why not bring back Vete and play Lisone off the back.

8. Matulino
9. Lueluai
10. Lillyman
11. Mannering
12. Hoffman
13. Lisone

14. Friend/Havilli
15. Rapira
16. Vete
17. Thompson/Ikahifo
Yes agree, and it's a clear one.

The Taumalolo, Merrin and others of similar ilk experiments have paid off. Thompson and Lisone to share lock for me. Manners back where ex CTRs belong.

Bring this shit on.

Reactions: brightman
Yes agree, and it's a clear one.

The Taumalolo, Merrin and others of similar ilk experiments have paid off. Thompson and Lisone to share lock for me. Manners back where ex CTRs belong.

Bring this shit on.
Having 2012/13 flashbacks, the defensive rock we were on the right, the only year we have gone alright there was 2011 and even then we could leak tries down that side, and we also relied on the KeepItSimpleStupid KITM game plan.
While Lisone has done pretty well your kidding yourself if your comparing him to Merrin or Taumalolo.

Pending form this weekend during rep weekend.

1. Tomkins
2. Lolohea
3. Kata
4. Hurrell
5. Vatuvei
6. Townsend
7. Johnson
8. Lilyman
9. Leuluai
10. Matulino
11. Hoffman
12. Mannering
13. Matagi

14. Friend
15. Lisone
16. Rapira
17. Thompson
18, Vete

I like the Lisone at 13 too....but feel he needs to continue being a prop first as we need run metres and dont want to encourage to ball play too much yet.

Start with Matagi at 13 and then have Thompson come on.
Mannering to fix right side defence.

Vete keeping props under pressure - probably lilyman.

Fusitua to play NSW Cup for a week on the wing first - Lolohea potential to hold spot or move into centre

Reactions: ramps
Having 2012/13 flashbacks, the defensive rock we were on the right, the only year we have gone alright there was 2011 and even then we could leak tries down that side, and we also relied on the KeepItSimpleStupid KITM game plan.
While Lisone has done pretty well your kidding yourself if your comparing him to Merrin or Taumalolo.

Lisone has handled first grade better than those blokes did originally. Not comparable to JT ...but defiately has some similar traits and size to merrin

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
I wasn't. More so comparing style of play, clear to see the bloke has plenty to do and develop, but this suggestion is one I am most fond of, it is better than what we have.

Reactions: brightman
I like the Lisone at 13 too....but feel he needs to continue being a prop first as we need run metres and dont want to encourage to ball play too much yet.
well he has already shown his passing game is up to par in FG, in fact the passing game up the middle and in tight would add alot to team dynamics.
No to Matagi for me, Rapira, Vete and Lisone are performing better imo

Lisone has handled first grade better than those blokes did originally. Not comparable to JT ...but defiately has some similar traits and size to merrin

Lisone is 21 and has played 8 games. Debuted this year.
JT is not quite 22, played 68 games. Debuted for the cowboys as their youngest ever debutant aged 17 & 2 months. Started playing regularly in top grade at 18.
Merrin is 25, debuted in 2009 at 19 (I think), and played a lot the following year in their march to the title.

You might say Lisone has handled first grade better than them. BUT they were a lot younger when they debuted... Fingers crossed, that means Lisone has a lot more upside to give.

1. Tomkins
2. Fusitua
3. Hurrell
4. Lolohea
5. Vatuvei
6. Townsend
7. Johnson
8. Lisone
9. Leuluai
10. Matagi
11. Matulino
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering

14. Friend
15. Thompson
16. Rapira
17. Vete

Cappy needs to use the TL/Friend combo more efficiently - we've all been calling for Friend to close out the last 10 mins of the first half/first 15-20mins of the second with TL to close out the game. We caught a small glimpse of that (not by intention) last weekend when TL came off with a injury scare late in the first half, and Friend came on and busted through the line to set up Jono Wright for that try. We haven't seen the fruits of this combination but since both players have their deficiencies individually, the use of the 2 hooker rotation can help compensate for this.

I'm hesitant bringing back Hurrell, but hopefully after his NSW hitout/Tonga call up he comes back into the Warriors camp ready to play some footy. I'd give Fusitua another shot in FG pending he's recovered from his injury scare last weekend. He's our best attacking winger, but he needs to sort his shit out defensively. He and Hurrell have played together before so hopefully they can atleast communicate efficiently. Tomkins is hopefully healthy so he's straight back into the Fullback jersey, and I'd back Lolohea to play next to Manu - atleast he's shown his ability to feed the beast. I'm happy with Lolo's defense, enough to trust him next to Vatuvei. Communication is key so if Lolo can trust his outside man on attack, then the Beast needs to trust his inside man on defense. Kata is the unfortunate victim of the axe, hopefully he would use the opportunities in the Reserves to hone his skills.

I'd give Lillyman a break and reinstate Matagi, who has been playing his ass off in NSW cup. Shift Lisone into the starting pack because he's impressed so far - always plays with energy and passion. To accommodate for this, lets shift Mutts into the 2nd row and let him wreck havoc on the edges with his offloading game. Mutt's defense has been impressive so far too so I'd back him in that regard. Bring Thompson off the bench to pick up the defensive slack when the forwards start to tire. He'd work well in short spurts Thompson - always works on the one percenters that go unnoticed. But when he tires out, those shirt-grabbing tackles can piss you off.

Rapira retains his bench spot because he hauled ass last weekend, great to see him back. Vete showed on the weekend that he's too good for NSW cup, he's earned his FG jersey in my book.

Reactions: stacky18
a close source to the team said that cappy had told dom peyroux that this will be his last game of first grade when he ran out against the cowboys in the changing room before the game started. pretty harsh on the kid
this blokes been hard done by at this club,hope he finds a better offer in regards to more game time elsewhere

Reactions: ¿N. ig-mah¿
Yes please an Tompkins back at fullback,
IV all ways thought Sammy Raps was a second
rower I'd like to see him play there this season .Coming
off the bench to cover Bodene ,

Reactions: Dalts
Ok doky i have had a rethink after the International weekend and would like this team to trot out against the Sharkies:

1. Tomkins
2. Fusitua
3. Lolohea
4. Kata
5. Vatuvei
6. Townsend
7. Johnson
8. Lillyman
9. TL
10. Matulino
11. Thompson
12. Hoffman