11. Thompson
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering

14. Friend
15. Vete
16. Ikahihifo
17. Matagi

Lisone to rest, to avoid burnout.

Anyone else find the bitter irony in that, before the season started, we were all worrying about whether the forwards could get us in the game for our backs to seal it. Now we're hoping that our backs don't fuck up our forwards' hard work. Why do I feel like that sort of ironic bullshit doesn't happen to other club's supporters as much as it does to us:rage:

Reactions: 2 users
BA-AD Luck

BA-AD Luck

Only if Hurrell is fully fit:

1. Lolohea
2. Kata
3. Hurrell
4. Laumape
5. Vatuvei
6. Townsend
7. Johnson
8. Lillyman
9. Leuluai
10. Matulino
11. Thompson
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering (c)

14. Havili
15. Ikahihifo
16. Rapira
17. Matagi

18. Vete

* Time for experience. Lisone has a break to freshen up. Hasn't done a lot wrong, important to monitor his workload. A good opportunity to bring both Rapira and Matagi to find out who deserves to stay and who will play out the season in reserve grade. Havili needs his chance to play for his contract. Peyroux to come in for Laumape and then Allwood if needed. No Wright - my new Nielsen.

Reactions: 1 user
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Lolohea,
Vatuvei
Peyroux,
Hurrell
Laumape
Townsend
Johnstone
Mannering
Hoffman
Thompson
Matulino
TL
Lillyman

Kata
Vete
Lisone
Rapira

Kata to provide backs and DH cover, Peyroux 2nd row cover.

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

1. Lolohea
2. Kata
3. Hurrell
4. Laumape
5. Vatuvei
6. Townsend
7. Johnson
8. Lillyman
9. Leuluai
10. Matulino
11. Thompson
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering

14. Friend
15. Vete
16. Ikahihifo
17. Matagi

Lisone to rest, to avoid burnout.

Anyone else find the bitter irony in that, before the season started, we were all worrying about whether the forwards could get us in the game for our backs to seal it. Now we're hoping that our backs don't fuck up our forwards' hard work. Why do I feel like that sort of ironic bullshit doesn't happen to other club's supporters as much as it does to us:rage:
I think we have always relied on reactive coaches. Our backs were good and our forwards bad last year, so in the pre-season Cappy told the backs to go stand by the grandstand and have a smoke, while he worked on the forwards.

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Lolohea,
Vatuvei
Peyroux,
Hurrell
Laumape
Townsend
Johnstone
Mannering
Hoffman
Thompson
Matulino
TL
Lillyman

Kata
Vete
Lisone
Rapira

Kata to provide backs and DH cover, Peyroux 2nd row cover.
I have lost respect for the Kata to DH idea. He can't decide who to pass it to when we have space and a big hulking Tongan charging at the space, so how will he go when he has choices?

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
1. Api Pewhairangi
Team needs a bit of hunger and commitment, maybe someone hanging on to an NRL lifeline will provide it, has looked tidy from what I’ve seen in nsw cup, also goal kicking option, just trying some other options until the pommy jesus hath risen.

2. Tuimoala Lolohea
Wasn’t too bad, in that he didn’t make any clangers in defence for a fullback, which is the most important thing, but doesn’t look comfortable in attack, and not exactly frothing at the bung to be out there either, can play wing though, is fast, can catch a bomb, might anticipate some of Johnson adventurous passing too.

3. Matthew Allwood
He looked alright against the broncs, more likely to do something in attack than Peyroux, place holder for konrad sorting himself out.

4. Ngani Laumape
Not noted for his distribution but can’t be worse than kata’s, had a decent partnership with vatuvei last year

5. Manu Vatuvei
Good bounce back game from errors previous week, his ability to shake off poor games and go hard next week is something the rest of them need to learn from.

6. Chad Townsend
Playing solid, chance for a try saving tackle or 2, but guess that’s expecting a lot

7. Shaun Johnson
One step forward, one step back, running game was better this week, kicking game was worse.

8. Jacob Lillyman

9. Thomas Lulueai
Might be in the minority, but think both hookers are playing pretty well, TL has been a pleasant surprise, not overplaying, making strong tackles, making the most of fast ptb, probably need to take him off after 30 and back on for the last 15 if they are going to make the most of having both.

10. Ben Matulino
Boss, one of the few big successes for the recruitment department, bringing him back, outplayed Bromwich who is a great player.

11. Bodene Thompson, if Ben Henry was fit, I’d drop him, if only for a week or two, see if benry could do better than a 5 or 6 out of 10 every week. But he’s not so stuck with Mr Average. Has a higher workrate than bukuya, gives away less penalties than lowrie. Yay.

12. Ryan Hoffman

13. Simon Mannering

14. Nathan Friend

15. Sam Rapira
See what the legs have left in the tank, could thrive off the back of an improved starting pack. Or get hurt again.

16. Sebastine Ikahihifo
Ehh, could be anyone of about 5 players, I do like seb as a player in general, was also guilty of a retarded offload on the weekend.

17. Konrad Hurrell
Only really playing a 2 forward bench anyway, bring him on at the end of the first half, drag him if he tries to offload with more than one in the tackle. Was one of Elliot’s better ploys this one, put him in the back row, in the middle, injury cover for the backs, and just run and play the ball quickly.

After all that only dropping wright, kata and lisone, the last 2 may not particularly deserve it, but they will come again later in the year.

Last edited:
ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

1. Lolohea (only because there really are no other options)
2. Kata
3. Hurrell (will be better for the hit out)
4. Laumape (hopefully he is right)
5. Manu
6. Chad
7. Shaun Johnson

8. Lillyman
9. TL
10. Mutts
11. Bodene
12. Hoff
13. Mannering

14. Friend
15. Vete
16. Lisone
17. Seb

No point naming DP if Cappy won't play him. Hopefully Fish plays NSW cup next weekend and then becomes a fullback/wing option for us ASAP. If Lolohea is average again then he comes strait in at the back for mine. Let Rapira play NSW cup too. How has Matagi been playing? Was weighing up giving him a shot to give Lisone a rest.

Makasene

Makasene

1. Lolohea
2. Kata/Allwood
3. Laumape
4. Hurrell
5. Beast
6. Chad
7. Johnson

Forwards pick themselves.

Except I would like to see Peyroux in for Thompson

Bench

14. Friend
15. Lisone
16. Vete
17. Matangi

Afakasi247

Afakasi247

1. Lolohea
2. Allwood
3. Hurrell
4. Laumape
5. Vatuvei
6. Townsend
7. Johnson
8. Lillyman
9. Leuluai
10. Matulino
11. Thompson
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering

14. Ikahihifo
15. Vete
16. Matagi
17. Peyroux

Allwood is a better option than Wright. Atleast he has pace. If we are to judge by a small sample size, the way Allwood followed Shaun Johnson on the play vs. Bronco's last week and cut inside to catch the pass leading to the try tells me he has some sort of League IQ lacking in our backline right now - and atleast if Shaun Johnson tries to do more superhero plays we have someone on the edge capable to finishing it off.

No point dropping Hurrell back to NSW cup now - he's had his 80 minute hitout, dusted off the cobwebs and thank fuck his knee held up (all at the detriment of a team win it seems). All that preseason training and trimming down needs to come into play now for Konnie. We need him in the team - but we need him to be playing at 100%. Let's hope he comes out firing like he did vs. Raiders at Eden Park last season... even though that was due to different circumstances o_O

Hopefully Ngani has recovered from his "knee soreness" - he is the best complement to Manu we have. He can defend alonngside the beast, and he can FEED the beast. Kata needs to fine tune his footy smarts because his selfishness is outshining how well a player he actually is. Team footy boy!

Give Lisone a rest this week as he's been slowing down. Vete to slot straight back in for him, with Matagi (or Rapira) brought back in for experience and punch, with Seb given another shot this week after lack of opportunities yesterday. Peyroux over Friend for utility value - lets run with one hooker for the 80 instead of wasting a bench spot (and by this I mean you play Dom CAPPY!!!)

Reactions: 1 users
Ref

Ref

You can't drop Hurrell.
He showed sharpness and was keen and the hit out will certainly have benefitted him.
Obviously the downside was his ball retention and a couple of pretty bad defensive reads that Manu used to get slammed for.

InsideBall

InsideBall

1. Tuimoala Lolohea
2. Solomone Kata
3. Konrad Hurrell
4. Ngani Laumape / Dominique Peyroux
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Chad Townsend
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jacob Lillyman
9. Thomas Leuluai
10. Ben Matulino
11. Bodene Thompson
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Simon Mannering

14. Nathan Friend / Siliva Havili
15. Sebastine Ikahihifo
16. Sam Rapira / Suaia Matagi
17. Sione Lousi

We need to shake up our backs a bit. We need a winger quick enough to keep up with Shaun to actually catch his passes - which as Cappy pointed out, were on the mark and the winger was just too slow to catch them. Kata was great on the right wing in the 20s GF, and he's shown far too many times now that he doesn't know to set his inside away. Ngani to left centre if fit, otherwise Dom into the side.

No way would I be dropping Konnie, sure he was shithouse, but I doubt we'll see him play that bad again, and he'll be better for the run. Moreover, Shaun needs more consistancy around him... Well, aside from Wright who really needs to go.

If Rapira is fit, I'd bring him and Sione onto the bench to give the young guys a rest, and give the team a little more experience which it just seems we are badly lacking at the moment, to keep playing in the manner which we are.

I know we're not far away from putting a really good performance in, just need that little bit of composure and respect for the ball and well start putting teams away - needs to start this weekend, we cannot be 2-4, it just means we have to go straight back into catch up mode, and that seldom ends well.

Last edited:
The Batman

The Batman

1. Lolohea
2. Kata
3. Laumape
4. Hurrell
5. Vatuvei
6. Townsend
7. Johnson
8. Lillyman
9. Leuluai
10. Matulino
11. Thompson
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering (c)

14. Pewhairangi
15. Vete
16. Lisone
17. Ikahihifo
18. Rapira
19. Matagi
20. Friend

7 man bench, 3 to be omitted TBC

Blain

Blain

Lolohea
Allwood
Hurrell
Laumape
Manu
Townsend
Johnson
Lillyman (hit and drop)
TL
Muts
Thompson
Hoff
Manners

Friend
Vete
Matagi
Lisone

I seriously wouldn't change much, except bring Ngani back form injury, drop Wright and a bit of a bench change up.

The team would look OK if we didn't drop the ball every 2nd set.

DP was selected to cover Hurrell only, so I wouldn't be surprised if we comes in if Ngani isn't fully fit.

ryno

ryno

Team is out:

Warriors:
1 Tuimoala Lolohea, 2 Jonathan Wright, 3 Konrad Hurrell. 4 Solomone Kata, 5 Manu Vatuvei, 6 Chad Townsend, 7 Shaun Johnson, 8 Jacob Lillyman, 9 Thomas Leuluai, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Bodene Thompson, 12 Ryan Hoffman, 13 Simon Mannering (c) |Interchange: 14 Nathan Friend, 15 Sebastine Ikahihifo, 16 Sam Lisone, 17 Albert Vete, 18 Dominique Peyroux. Coach: Andrew McFadden

I suppose that's what happens when you play Monday.

Makasene

Makasene

Team is out:

Warriors:
1 Tuimoala Lolohea, 2 Jonathan Wright, 3 Konrad Hurrell. 4 Solomone Kata, 5 Manu Vatuvei, 6 Chad Townsend, 7 Shaun Johnson, 8 Jacob Lillyman, 9 Thomas Leuluai, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Bodene Thompson, 12 Ryan Hoffman, 13 Simon Mannering (c) |Interchange: 14 Nathan Friend, 15 Sebastine Ikahihifo, 16 Sam Lisone, 17 Albert Vete, 18 Dominique Peyroux. Coach: Andrew McFadden

I suppose that's what happens when you play Monday.

My thoughts exactly. Monday games often result in the same side being named on Tuesday.

Surely Ngani comes back into contention given the hoopla that was made of his inclusion last week

Tedster

Tedster

Do you think Laumape was ever going to play or just a smoke screen for Hurrell coming back - i know he was named in the team originally but being out again this weekend makes you wonder. Little surprised no changes - maybe its the short turn around time.:wideyed:

Status
Not open for further replies.