General Pick Your Team Rnd 16 - Warriors vs Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Would probably only bring in Lolohea to play wing, instead of big ken marmalade, think Lolo will contribute more over the rest of the year, so keep him in the side.

Plus that’s your utility cover right there, don’t need to carry one on the bench, even if cappy seems to want to only play with 16 most weeks.

I recall Elliot being roasted mercilessly for giving godinet and/or peyroux 10 minutes off the bench, i'd guess thats all we'd get with tui in number 14.

Add Vete to the bench in place of Havili, four forward bench, it’s a crazy thought I know.

Reactions: 1 user
boongz1

boongz1

Agree with most of you. mt.wellingtons lineup from the 1st page is what I'd go with. Like the idea of Lillyman coming off the bench and having RFM to come on for Thompson. Easily have Tui back in there. Once Lisone is good, then straight swap for Gubb.

ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

I really like the idea of spelling Friend with Lolohea and moving him to 6 and Chad to play a stint at 9. Give Friend a 15-20 min rest period imo and we'll continue to see this current form he is producing.

His last 2 games have vastly exceeded anything TL did this season and if his mins are kept in check then this running game and high work rate on defence should continue which is all we can ask of a 34 year dude until Luke arrives.

We can then resign him next season and he can be Luke's back up should injury arise. TL is not reliable enough with all his injury concerns to be the only back up hooker in the squad and as we know Friend is a superior option to Havili.

ryno

ryno

I know the Vulcans had a bye last week but did the Fish make it through the weekend?

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Evil_Mush

Evil_Mush

I'll be at this game (my one AKL game for the year), anyone got a spare onesie?!

Hoping that Lolohea is in the side this week, if Maumalo out then the wing on that side I reckon. If Charlie Gubb is playing I might put a sneaky $5 on first and/or last tryscorer, surely he'll be third time lucky this week!!

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
I really like the idea of spelling Friend with Lolohea and moving him to 6 and Chad to play a stint at 9. Give Friend a 15-20 min rest period imo and we'll continue to see this current form he is producing.

His last 2 games have vastly exceeded anything TL did this season and if his mins are kept in check then this running game and high work rate on defence should continue which is all we can ask of a 34 year dude until Luke arrives.

We can then resign him next season and he can be Luke's back up should injury arise. TL is not reliable enough with all his injury concerns to be the only back up hooker in the squad and as we know Friend is a superior option to Havili.
I hate the idea of mucking around with our spine to much like this. We have finally got our best 1,6,7,9 on the park. Some people seem to have written this season off already. We are 7th and about to have 5/7 home games and a bye. We have a real chance to push along this season, if we can get close to our top 17 available and maintain some degree of consistancy in selections and combinations. I think Lolohea will probably be our long term 6 but forcing changes just to fit him in somewhere is not the way to go IMO. Wing/fullback/centre or left right out and palying 6 in NSW cup.

Reactions: 3 users
ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

I hate the idea of mucking around with our spine to much like this. We have finally got our best 1,6,7,9 on the park. Some people seem to have written this season off already. We are 7th and about to have 5/7 home games and a bye. We have a real chance to push along this season, if we can get close to our top 17 available and maintain some degree of consistancy in selections and combinations. I think Lolohea will probably be our long term 6 but forcing changes just to fit him in somewhere is not the way to go IMO. Wing/fullback/centre or left right out and palying 6 in NSW cup.

I'm literally talking about 10-15 mins at hooker for Chad. If Friend needs to be spelled and in reality he does need a breather at some point to be at his most effective, who would you look at? Or would you just play him 80 anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

Chad defending in the middle gives me nightmares. give me Bhana!

Reactions: 4 users
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
I'm literally talking about 10-15 mins at hooker for Chad. If Friend needs to be spelled and in reality he needs to be spelled at some point to be at his most effective, who would you look at? Or would you just play him 80 anyway?
I'm a fan of keeping things as simple and with least disruption as possible. I would play Friend for 80mins. but look at where he is defending in the line. I notice Havilli was out on one side of the field avoiding the heavy contact. Otherwise, I agree, Friend needs a rest. As much as I am disapointed with Havili's fitness, you replace a hooker with a hooker or a utility who can paly hooker and cover second row/lock. Bhana would be ideal if he is up to speed with the position. It is a bit unfortunate for Lolohea if he has to spend time in NSW cup but it probably wouldnt be a bad thing either, forcing him to play 6 in the lower grade (assuming he isnt picked to paly wing/centre/FB for first grade due to injuries). Otherwise it is the 'Chad is leaving, he can get fucked, put Lolohea at 6 now' option which despite my obvious bias is the worst of the options. It, IMO, gives us the least chance of success for this season.

So I guess the main options are:
  • play Friend for 80 and accept he may not be as dynamic as he has been the last few weeks, potentially change where he is defending in the line
  • play Friend and spell him for 5-10mins either side of halftime with either Havili or Bhana
  • your suggestion of Lolohea on the bench and subbing on to play 6 while Chad moves to Hooker and then changing back again when Friend comes back on.

ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

I'm a fan of keeping things as simple and with least disruption as possible. I would play Friend for 80mins. but look at where he is defending in the line. I notice Havilli was out on one side of the field avoiding the heavy contact. Otherwise, I agree, Friend needs a rest. As much as I am disapointed with Havili's fitness, you replace a hooker with a hooker or a utility who can paly hooker and cover second row/lock. Bhana would be ideal if he is up to speed with the position. It is a bit unfortunate for Lolohea if he has to spend time in NSW cup but it probably wouldnt be a bad thing either, forcing him to play 6 in the lower grade (assuming he isnt picked to paly wing/centre/FB for first grade due to injuries). Otherwise it is the 'Chad is leaving, he can get, put Lolohea at 6 now' option which despite my obvious bias is the worst of the options. It, IMO, gives us the least chance of success for this season.

So I guess the main options are:
  • play Friend for 80 and accept he may not be as dynamic as he has been the last few weeks, potentially change where he is defending in the line
  • play Friend and spell him for 5-10mins either side of halftime with either Havili or Bhana
  • your suggestion of Lolohea on the bench and subbing on to play 6 while Chad moves to Hooker and then changing back again when Friend comes back on.

Yeah, I don't want to see Lolohea at 6 yet over Chad, that wouldn't be the best decision imo. Bhana is intriguing though, I wonder if he could be that guy to spell Friend. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack although admittedly I havent seen him play much but still we've seen what Havili has to offer and unfortunately it looks if he has regressed from last season so perhaps Bhana deserves a look in?

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Yeah, I don't want to see Lolohea at 6 yet over Chad, that wouldn't be the best decision imo. Bhana is intriguing though, I wonder if he could be that guy to spell Friend. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack although admittedly I havent seen him play much but still we've seen what Havili has to offer and unfortunately it looks if he has regressed from last season so perhaps Bhana deserves a look in?
the other advantage with Friend playin 80mins is we can carry four forwards on the bench. could have two props, RFM type player who can cover back row and centres, Bhana type player who can cover hooker and back row. Gives an opportunity for some of our 80 minute backrowers to get a spell too.

Reactions: 2 users
boongz1

boongz1

id say cappy sees him exclusively in the backrow. plus with RFM ahead in the pecking order he might not get a crack for ages
Seems like he's been on the fringe for ages. Over the last 2-3 years I would of preferred him in 1st grade than some of the other back-rowers the Warriors have fielded.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Sam Lisone is likely to be back from his back injury. Would see one of Sebastian Ikahihifo, Raymond Faitala-Mariner or Charlie Gubb dropped to the Cup team.

Ken Maumalo may be rested this week. Obviously out of Jonathan Wright or Tuimoala Lolohea to replace him. Not sure about whether Ken will or wont play though...

Jordan G

Sam Lisone is likely to be back from his back injury. Would see one of Sebastian Ikahihifo, Raymond Faitala-Mariner or Charlie Gubb dropped to the Cup team.

Ken Maumalo may be rested this week. Obviously out of Jonathan Wright or Tuimoala Lolohea to replace him. Not sure about whether Ken will or wont play though...

Smells like Havilli gets a reprieve either way.

Timothy

Timothy

It's good to half who isn't afraid to take the line on. Keeps the defence honest. Can't have the same through the hands, short ball plays every set (as most alluded to in the game day thread, and what we drove away from in the second half).

Warrior ball. Ad lib, unpredictable footy. That's what we do best brada.
Keeps the defense honest, really Kata, Vatuvei, Tomkins and Hoffman sitting outside of you. Unpredictable footy? We played simple direct footy on Saturday night not that inconsistent, unpredictable rubbish.

Timothy

Timothy

Chad to 9, like in the last 15 against the roosters, no thanks.

RobRoyMcCoy

RobRoyMcCoy

I think with Mt. W latest intel the team will be;

1. Tomkins
2. Tui
3. Hurrell
4. Kata
5. The Beast
6. Chad
7. Magic
8. Vete
9. Friend
10. Big Ben
11. Bodene
12. The Hoff
13. Mannering (c)
14. Havili
15. Lillyman
16. RFM
17. Rapira (if fit his experience and metres could be invaluable)

Others who could be considered as they are fit (I think) Lousi, Fish, Fusitua, Ikahihifo, Wright, Peyroux, Gubb (a touch unlucky as I thought he went ok last week). Agreed Havili has done nothing yet and his time be running out. If TL had not been injured he would still be in NSW.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

The whole discussion comes down to utility cover for the backs and bench hooker cover. Worst case scenario is Havili cannot play long minutes.

RFM is taking that Ben Henry role. I would have Lolohea on the wing, which is purely for his utility value and not Maumalo being deficient.

I would have a bench of RFM, Lisone, Lillyman and Gubb. I would have RFM subbing Friend with Kata at DH using his Union halfback passing skills while Warriors have possession with RFM at centre, on D RFM defends in the middle with a bigger body.

Status
Not open for further replies.