General Pick Your Team Rnd 16 vs Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 9444 What scares me is the return of the marque. His confidence has soared with the panthers from when he used to cruise the Auckland streets after dark with his personalised Mazda 323 s/w with his name in 125 font on the sides.

Ex Warriors tend to go pretty well against us. Except maybe Tupou. Taylor fits in well with the Panthers, or perhaps it's more that Cleary's coaching really works for him? Anyway as a big anti-fan of Marquee, I am hoping he gets lined up for some treatment. Real pity Matulino isn't playing this game.

Lewis Brown is more likely to shred us, though.

Ex Warriors tend to go pretty well against us. Except maybe Tupou. Taylor fits in well with the Panthers, or perhaps it's more that Cleary's coaching really works for him? Anyway as a big anti-fan of Marquee, I am hoping he gets lined up for some treatment. Real pity Matulino isn't playing this game.

Oh man what we could do to have Taylor now though huh, but he's moved on and so should we.

Oh man what we could do to have Taylor now though huh, but he's moved on and so should we.

Perhaps as depth right now due to our current forward injury woes, he would be useful? But honestly bro, with Hoffman on his way next season... second row is the least of our worries.

Also Mateo is slowly working back into form in my opinion. Not much show-boating yet, but not many dire fuck ups either. Putting out decent metres and making his tackles etc. Good signs

Buck777

Haven't be following LB since he stuffed up in the 9's lol. Both him and ET I was glad to see the back off. ET not so much on his playing skills but for his tendency to spit the dummy like Locke.
I take your point about some players hurting us but Tupou in the raiders game and Laurie in the broncos game didn't amount to much. I think we're a different unit now from when Penrith played us last. image.jpg

Jordan G

Kind of hoping Taylor overplays his hand in this one. I can see him taking it upon himself to target Johnson. Bringing back the old rush 5 metres ahead of the defensive line just to miss the tackle would be a very welcome sight.

Reactions: matiunz
Grrr Taylor and the media.. They seem to have a hard on for the dude. Same can be said about Bill Tupou.

I don't see alot in Taylor, busy player with very little impact imo. A less humble Ben Henry.

Reactions: matiunz
Team announced already:

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 SAM TOMKINS

2 DAVID Fusitua

3 KONRAD HURRELL

4 DANE NIELSEN

5 MANU VATUVEI

6 CHAD TOWNSEND

7 SHAUN JOHNSON

8 JACOB LILLYMAN

9 NATHAN FRIEND

10 SAM RAPIRA

11 JAYSON BUKUYA

12 SIMON MANNERING (C)

13 SEBASTINE IKAHIHIFO

INTERCHANGE:

14 FELETI MATEO

15 SUAIA MATAGI

16 BEN HENRY

17 CHARLIE-PAUL GUBB

HEAD COACH: ANDREW McFADDEN

Danger given a chance for redemption. Slotted in for experience. Hope he doesnt stuff this up...

Reactions: Maraea
Coooool, fuckin gumby Neilsen back in the side. I sure have missed all those meters he doesn't make, and all those passes he doesn't throw.

Damn you Laumape, this is what you have done.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
On team matters, I am most concerned about Mansour. I would NOT test Lolohea opposite him. Would have to be Peyroux. Its a shame Konrad and Manu couldn't work together. Benry and Peyroux would make a nice defensive pairing to contend with Mansour.

To Quote Gus "NO,NO, NO, NO, NO!"

Putting Manu and Konni together on the same side destroys the one thing the warriors have going for them at the moment, a smidgen of unpredictability on the last play option. IMO A better solution would be to have Mannering and Benry on the right with Hurrell out to the wing, Peyroux and Manu on the left

Ahhh, damn it. I really, really don't understand the logic, Cappy. Benry is a better centre in every way, than Nielsen. Even if we didn't bring in Havili to replace Benry on the bench, we could have brought in someone like RFM who's been playing very well, by all accounts, for NSWarriors...

A bench of Matagi, Mateo, Gubb and Faitala-Mariner is hardly undersized... in fact, it's pretty big.

Don't get this call at all - hasn't Nielsen been shit in the Cup??

Lack of options really. Ben Henry's utility value mixed with this current string of injuries in key plays such as Benny Mutts and Leuluai, is crucial and if he slotted straight into the centres, it leaves a void on the bench. Though would like to see maybe Faitala-Mariner, Albert Vete, Sam Lisone or Lolohea (whom Cappy seems imminent on bring up to FG very soon) given a promotion to the FG squad, against a tough, experienced top tier team in the Panthers (who have seemingly become our boogy team, of sorts, in recent times), it was inevitable that Cappy would opt for experience over bringing in new blood at such a crucial time in the season.

Despite what the general consensus is regarding Danger and his form (or lack thereof), his experience will be needed, more importantly that potent defensive ability he WAS known for. Both Chad and Feleti, as well as Konnie, have found form through demotion to the NSWarriors, fiding the motivation to work hard and earn their jerseys, as Matt Eliot ain't around no more to make these players untouchable. If you watched Dane play in the NSW cup last weekend without a bias opinion that he's just useless, he actually didn't play half bad. He was commanding the boys on the paddock, was steady in D and demanded the ball a lot, had a handful of good solid runs as well. He's not a player who stands out, and he may have been hyped up a bit because of his C.V - being apart of the Storms premiership system whilst earning a couple of SOO call-ups along the way blah blah blah. However, on a good day, he can do his job and do it well. Really, all he has to do is just plug that hole on the left hand side, not overplay his hand and try showcase skills he doesn't have, and for goodness sake POP THE BALL TO MANU (when the opportunity arises, of course).

If Cappys influence has turned around the form of Mateo, lets hope that's atleast rubbed off on Danger to the extent where he can turn out a solid performance, just this once, because this will be his last chance anyway.

gREVUS

Contributor
Ahhh, damn it. I really, really don't understand the logic, Cappy. Benry is a better centre in every way, than Nielsen. Even if we didn't bring in Havili to replace Benry on the bench, we could have brought in someone like RFM who's been playing very well, by all accounts, for NSWarriors...

A bench of Matagi, Mateo, Gubb and Faitala-Mariner is hardly undersized... in fact, it's pretty big.

Don't get this call at all - hasn't Nielsen been shit in the Cup??

i guess every suicidal person needs to be handed a gun at some stage to work out if they are going to pull the trigger or not.

To explain that statement - Neilson has one opportunity to save his career and this is it. He can play like he has been and kill his career with a short and sudden death or he can process, and turn his life around and have a blinder.

I'm betting they'll need a clean up squad after the game

Reactions: fizurg

gREVUS

Contributor
was steady in D and demanded the ball a lot,

And thats the bit that worries me, he started better when he joined the warriors than when he was relegated to reserve level football. Him getting the ball at all in attack worries me, i see him overplaying his hand in an effort to stand out, trying for that one
per-center instead of taking the smart play. And in defense i dont see him following through with the structures that the team has been following allowing cover for the wing when Manu comes in, instead i see him moving in to help out who ever is inside him and leaving Manu with an overlap, just like every other time they have paired up.

I hope he is told to focus totally on defense and if he gets the ball on attack to either pass it straight away or die with it. With ST planning on skipping him and passing directly to Manu, so that he doesnt get the ball on attack. But ill lay fantasy money on him getting in the way of those passes and trying to get the ball

Reactions: Afakasi247
Ahh fark ya Laumape, just given Nielsen a chance at redemption which he doesn't deserve going on his reserve grade form, farkkkk!!!

On team matters, I am most concerned about Mansour. I would NOT test Lolohea opposite him. Would have to be Peyroux. Its a shame Konrad and Manu couldn't work together. Benry and Peyroux would make a nice defensive pairing to contend with Mansour.

Mansour plays right hand side..

I don't mind seeing Neilson back for this one, he's going to be coming into the game thinking he has something to prove, or at least he should be. Surely he knows his future isn't with the Warriors, he'll be wanting to put on a good performance for anyone considering signing him up.

Reactions: fizurg
Status
Not open for further replies.