General Pick Your Team Rnd 14 - Warriors vs Roosters

Assuming Konrad Hurrell was match fit and 100% who would you drop to accommodate him?

• Sam Tomkins

• Jonathan Wright

• Tuimoala Lolohea

• Solomone Kata

• Manu Vatuvei

• Konnie to bench

• Konnie to Reserve Grade

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's go farkeen insane and keep picking the same players who make the same dumbass mistakes every week.. that's Manu club legend always put us on the back foot Vatuvei included.

• Haha
Reactions: facefacts and jonno
Tough decision this week. Both Lillyman and Hoffy could be on Orign duties. Rapira and Lousi are still injured. Going out a limb here with this selection:

1. Tomkins
2. Lolohea
3. Hurrell
4. Kata
5. Vatuvei
6. Townsend
7. Johnson
8. Vete
9. Friend
10. Matulino
11. Thompson
12. Faitala-Mariner
13. Mannering

14. Havili
15. Maumalo
16. Lisone
17. Ikahihio/Peteru/Gubb

Cappy has stated Hurrell will walk straight in this week, but he also said that Lolohea would have to earn back his spot. I think Tui deserves to remain in the squad, and I'd have him outside of Hurrell - Tui has show he can defend out on the edge with Wright, I'd like to see how he'd go with Hurrell. I feel no matter the combination (with Wright or Fusitua), the edge is set up for defensive disaster, but we need a bit of spark on that edge and a duo of him + Hurrell has that in a nutshell. I'm confident in Tui's defense tbh, but it's the communication with Hurrell which has me worried. Its a tough one either way.

I was backing Havili hard last week - I though he went well vs. Knights but this past weekend, he looked done after 12 minutes. Can't have that. We also can't have Friend playing an entire 80mins either - I mean, sure he'll make a shitload of tackles but this compromises his service from Dummy Half. Havili has one more week to prove himself - this time I'd bring him off the bench to cover Friend instead of the other way around. Play the end of the 1st half/start of 2nd. If I'm Cappy, I'm emphasizing all week "this is your last chance, or else you can fuck off somewhere else".

With Lilyman and Hoffy likely to be on Origin duty, our lack of depth is going to be tested. Lousi would have slot straight in, especially after his efforts vs. Parra. With him injured, I'd give Faitala-Mariner another crack. Big ask, but his form in the lower grades has been outstanding this season, and he didn't have much of a chance in the Anzac day clash earlier this year. With this I'd put Maumalo onto the bench - he's a big unit man, and played back-row in the Juniors. Have him there as a contingency incase the backline needs cover, or to spell RFM.

Ikahihifo is a tough choice. IMO he's done nothing the last 2 weeks. How good would it have been to have Suiaia Matagi now? playing the Roosters this weekend only adds to the irony. But, would Peteru deserve a call up? potential there to have simular impact to that of Vete and Lisone this year. Another question is, does Gubb warrant another chance in FG? Who knows what Cappy will do here.

I think this weeks team list is going to be interesting, that's for sure.

Reactions: ShaunJohnson7
This is right before the try that Maxwell was laughing at. View attachment 14610
You can see how we have three players all standing in a line. Only problem is that line is facing the sideline... If we don't want the refs laughing at us maybe we should stop putting on a comedy show...

I can only imagine what the team video session is going to be like. Cause if we pull this shit out against the roosters, we'll get beat again.
Good Spotting.

Tough decision this week. Both Lillyman and Hoffy could be on Orign duties. Rapira and Lousi are still injured. Going out a limb here with this selection:

1. Tomkins
2. Lolohea
3. Hurrell
4. Kata
5. Vatuvei
6. Townsend
7. Johnson
8. Vete
9. Friend
10. Matulino
11. Thompson
12. Faitala-Mariner
13. Mannering

14. Havili
15. Maumalo
16. Lisone
17. Ikahihio/Peteru/Gubb

Cappy has stated Hurrell will walk straight in this week, but he also said that Lolohea would have to earn back his spot. I think Tui deserves to remain in the squad, and I'd have him outside of Hurrell - Tui has show he can defend out on the edge with Wright, I'd like to see how he'd go with Hurrell. I feel no matter the combination (with Wright or Fusitua), the edge is set up for defensive disaster, but we need a bit of spark on that edge and a duo of him + Hurrell has that in a nutshell. I'm confident in Tui's defense tbh, but it's the communication with Hurrell which has me worried. Its a tough one either way.

I was backing Havili hard last week - I though he went well vs. Knights but this past weekend, he looked done after 12 minutes. Can't have that. We also can't have Friend playing an entire 80mins either - I mean, sure he'll make a shitload of tackles but this compromises his service from Dummy Half. Havili has one more week to prove himself - this time I'd bring him off the bench to cover Friend instead of the other way around. Play the end of the 1st half/start of 2nd. If I'm Cappy, I'm emphasizing all week "this is your last chance, or else you can fuck off somewhere else".

With Lilyman and Hoffy likely to be on Origin duty, our lack of depth is going to be tested. Lousi would have slot straight in, especially after his efforts vs. Parra. With him injured, I'd give Faitala-Mariner another crack. Big ask, but his form in the lower grades has been outstanding this season, and he didn't have much of a chance in the Anzac day clash earlier this year. With this I'd put Maumalo onto the bench - he's a big unit man, and played back-row in the Juniors. Have him there as a contingency incase the backline needs cover, or to spell RFM.

Ikahihifo is a tough choice. IMO he's done nothing the last 2 weeks. How good would it have been to have Suiaia Matagi now? playing the Roosters this weekend only adds to the irony. But, would Peteru deserve a call up? potential there to have simular impact to that of Vete and Lisone this year. Another question is, does Gubb warrant another chance in FG? Who knows what Cappy will do here.

I think this weeks team list is going to be interesting, that's for sure.
Im for Peteru.
Would give us some size.
Goes well, could help him find the level of consistency which could make him or keep him in NSW Cup.

Reactions: Afakasi247
Let's go farkeen insane and keep picking the same players who make the same dumbass mistakes every week.. that's Manu club legend always put us on the back foot Vatuvei included.

Amazing isn't it, how do we expect our young players in particular to to cut out the stupid schoolboy mistakes and defend their position how it's supposed to be defended, when they see their team mate being hailed as a club legend, who cant do either of those things.

Amazing isn't it, how do we expect our young players in particular to to cut out the stupid schoolboy mistakes and defend their position how it's supposed to be defended, when they see their team mate being hailed as a club legend, who cant do either of those things.

People can keep making excuses for him all they like but I'm totally farkin over it, it's just pathetic, true momentum killing game changing moments, constantly.

Time after time week after week it's the basics, the fundamentals... he can't hold the ball and we can't tackle therefore we get our asses handed to us.

Reactions: facefacts

And that is a very good point with Manu, he does seem exempt from criticism when it comes to his handling errors and poor defensive reads whereas someone like Hurrell who is more offensively rounded while being just as devastating with ball in hand is ridiculed for the same issues in his game by forumers and coaches a like. One is undroppable and the other seems to be on a very tight rope but yet both have the same/similar issues despite one having close to 10 years more NRL experience than the other.

Reactions: goku and facefacts
And that is a very good point with Manu, he does seem exempt from criticism when it comes his handling errors and poor defensive reads whereas someone like Hurrell who is more offensively rounded while being just as devastating with ball in hand is ridiculed for the same issues in his game by forumers and coaches a like. One is undroppable and the other seems to be on a very tight rope but yet both have the same/similar issues despite one having close to 10 years more NRL experience than the other.
Manu's untouchable. Everybody knows that. Its probably written into his contract that he can never be dropped, no matter how shit his form gets.

Interesting to see isac Luke, one of the worlds very best no. 9s can be relegated for poor form, but manu, a guy who's maybe top 10 in the world, can never be benched...

Warriors are a laughing stock ATM...

And that is a very good point with Manu, he does seem exempt from criticism when it comes to his handling errors and poor defensive reads whereas someone like Hurrell who is more offensively rounded while being just as devastating with ball in hand is ridiculed for the same issues in his game by forumers and coaches a like. One is undroppable and the other seems to be on a very tight rope but yet both have the same/similar issues despite one having close to 10 years more NRL experience than the other.
I think that, while your spot on, there's a huge difference between Manu and Hurrell: legacy.

Hurrell is still writing his history. Manu has 140+ reasons as to why he's "exempt" to criticism.

In saying that, Manus error rate has been poor this year. Too many unforced errors. Unfortunately, the way he throws himself at opponents with his patented hit-ups leaves him prone to dropping the ball. I somewhat feel opponents know this and this target the ball when copping the wrath of the beast. Still, the amount of times he's dropped the ball cold is inexcusable. As for his defensive reads, this has been an issue for years.

Regardless, Manu will remain a player you have to include simply because he is Manu. Ask any winger who they hate matching up against the most. I'll quote Aku Uate's response: MANU.

I think that, while your spot on, there's a huge difference between Manu and Hurrell: legacy.

Hurrell is still writing his history. Manu has 140+ reasons as to why he's "exempt" to criticism.

In saying that, Manus error rate has been poor this year. Too many unforced errors. Unfortunately, the way he throws himself at opponents with his patented hit-ups leaves him prone to dropping the ball. I somewhat feel opponents know this and this target the ball when copping the wrath of the beast. Still, the amount of times he's dropped the ball cold is inexcusable. As for his defensive reads, this has been an issue for years.

Regardless, Manu will remain a player you have to include simply because he is Manu. Ask any winger who they hate matching up against the most. I'll quote Aku Uate's response: MANU.

Is it that hard for Manu to learn how to catch a ball or stay on his man? (140 tries + that apparently no one else would score)

Nightingale is an example of a player who does the fundamentals exceptionally well week in week out.. rarely drops the ball or makes a bad defensive error in judgement..

Over it, no excuses just had a gutsful of it..

Is it that hard for Manu to learn how to catch a ball or stay on his man? (140 tries + that apparently no one else would score)

Nightingale is an example of a player who does the fundamentals exceptionally well week in week out.. rarely drops the ball or makes a bad defensive error in judgement..

Over it, no excuses just had a gutsful of it..
Manu is god remember. He's the almighty who can't be benched for any reason whatsoever... He could make 20 errors in the first half and still have the complete faith of his deciples that he can single handily win the game in the second...

• Haha
Reactions: Tonbridge (Swanley)
Here's another post about the Warriors use of their dummy halves. Thoughts? I'm now on twitter @playtheballnz so feel free to hit me up.
https://bit.ly/1KPDIqz

A rather dumb half-measure

For the past two weeks the Warriors have started Siliva Havili at hooker for the first 13-15 minutes before replacing him with Nathan Friend for the majority of the match.

I don’t really understand the thinking behind it. It seems pointless having a guy on the field for impact for such a short period – especially when the opposition is not really fatigued at that stage. I could see the rationale of starting Friend and bringing Havili on just before halftime to try and expose a tired defensive line – in the same way most coaches use a bench hooker. Havili seems the more creative and better suited of the two hookers to use as an impact player.

Surely Havili isn’t in need of a break after just 15 minutes of play? It appears to be a complete waste of an interchange. With a forward pack that isn’t exactly dominating opposition packs at the moment the extra interchange could be a way of keeping the forwards fresher and therefore a little more competitive.

I’d like to see McFadden give Havili an extended run in the number nine jersey now that Thomas Leuluai is on the shelf. Havili was the best player on the field in the 2014 ANZAC Test match and I’m surprised he hasn’t seen more first grade action since. Sure, there will be teething issues, as there are with any young player, but the upside appeals to me.

With Sam Tompkins and Konrad Hurrell to return to the side in the next fortnight, coach McFadden has some decisions to make as to who misses out on a back-line spot. One option would be to utilise the versatile Tuimoala Lolohea on the bench but they’d need to back either Friend or Havili to play 80 minutes most weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: ShaunJohnson7
Here's another post about the Warriors use of their dummy halves. Thoughts? I'm now on twitter @playtheballnz so feel free to hit me up.
https://bit.ly/1KPDIqz

A rather dumb half-measure

For the past two weeks the Warriors have started Siliva Havili at hooker for the first 13-15 minutes before replacing him with Nathan Friend for the majority of the match.

I don’t really understand the thinking behind it. It seems pointless having a guy on the field for impact for such a short period – especially when the opposition is not really fatigued at that stage. I could see the rationale of starting Friend and bringing Havili on just before halftime to try and expose a tired defensive line – in the same way most coaches use a bench hooker. Havili seems the more creative and better suited of the two hookers to use as an impact player.

Surely Havili isn’t in need of a break after just 15 minutes of play? It appears to be a complete waste of an interchange. With a forward pack that isn’t exactly dominating opposition packs at the moment the extra interchange could be a way of keeping the forwards fresher and therefore a little more competitive.

I’d like to see McFadden give Havili an extended run in the number nine jersey now that Thomas Leuluai is on the shelf. Havili was the best player on the field in the 2014 ANZAC Test match and I’m surprised he hasn’t seen more first grade action since. Sure, there will be teething issues, as there are with any young player, but the upside appeals to me.

With Sam Tompkins and Konrad Hurrell to return to the side in the next fortnight, coach McFadden has some decisions to make as to who misses out on a back-line spot. One option would be to utilise the versatile Tuimoala Lolohea on the bench but they’d need to back either Friend or Havili to play 80 minutes most weeks.

Who is Dale Budge? Play Havili for 80 mins? Is he on crack?? The kid would literally drop dead from exhaustion before half time

• Haha
Reactions: OMG
I agree that its a bit silly to start him. Would rather Friend started and Havilli come on after 25 mins and bring friend on after half time

That would leave Havili on for the Warriors customary last 15 minutes of the half meltdown...i think we should have him start the game, give him a good three or four minutes until he's exhausted, then drag him off.

We should be able to get another solid three minutes after halftime which would leave him absolutely spent... that would i think be the most effective way to use him.

Status
Not open for further replies.