General Pick Your Team For Round 2 vs Canberra Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tui has the luxury of being unheralded. He was named as a rookie winger and shifted a few hours before the game. No gameplan could foresee his success at the back. 3 or 4 more games and his impact lessens because teams make preparations for him.

It is too early to change the team dynamic so drastically for 40 good minutes in round 1.

Nope. Sorry not buying the "unheralded" line. Tui ran back and bent the line. Tui stepped and shuffled and created space. You can not prepare for impact at the line. He is our future fullback. When Sam leaves, or, is injured. We don't have halves that are super ball players. Shaun is a stepping machine. Who can lay on a sweet pass. But is not a real ball player. Tomkins is. We need him. Simple as that. If Chad could really ball play. Different story. But Tomkins is needed.

Reactions: jonno
Nope. Sorry not buying the "unheralded" line. Tui ran back and bent the line. Tui stepped and shuffled and created space. You can not prepare for impact at the line. He is our future fullback. When Sam leaves, or, is injured. We don't have halves that are super ball players. Shaun is a stepping machine. Who can lay on a sweet pass. But is not a real ball player. Tomkins is. We need him. Simple as that. If Chad could really ball play. Different story. But Tomkins is needed.
Tomkins had a phenominal ESL kick return. Every Aussie team researched him and were prepared. Its exactky the same as when teams send 3 big tacklers to shut Manu's beast charges down. It is planned. When you are an unknown quantity no one can plan for you. I still see Tui as our future 6. If Brad Abbey can develop, then we will have our replacement for when Sam heads home.

Reactions: eudebrito
It's a tough ask for a 4 game rookie to slot into what's usually the position the best all round back in the team plays in. Looking at other fullbacks in the NRL.

Ingls, Slater, Hayne, Boyde, Stewart, Babar, Moylan.

Can Tui match it with those guys right away?

Shaun Johnson could if anyone was every crazy enough to give him a run there...

Why do we have a brilliant ball playing full back, a brilliant sidestepping half back and a brilliant prop playing on the wing. No other club does this shit to their fans year after year....

1. Shaun Johnson..
2. Tuimoala Lolohea
3. Konrad Hurrell..
4. Solomone Kata..
5. Manu Vatuvei..
6. Sam Tomkins..
7. Chad Townsend..
8. Jacob Lillyman..
9. Thomas Leuluai..
10. Ben Matulino..
11. Bodene Thompson..
12. Ryan Hoffman..
13. Simon Mannering..

14. Nathan Friend..
15. Sam Lisone..
16. Albert Vete..
17. Sebastine Ikahihifo..

Shaun Johnson to play his natural position as a running back, with Tomkins coming into the front line for his calm, consistent direction.... Shaun Johnson can still come up and kick the odd bomb every now and again, and he can concentrate on his goal kicking without all the added duties of being first receiver....

Sooo... we now have one world class international fullback, a rookie who had a cracking game on the weekend.... we have a halfback who yep, had a poor game but is the current golden boot, so... to compensate for the fact the halves didn't go so well, we move a non half into the halves and put that halfback to fullback.... hmmm, sound logic.

I'm not sure if people have seen it yet, Sam's line break assists/try assists, generally all come from a deep spread and him choosing his time to chime into the line to create the extra man. That does not mean he would be a great 6 necessarily.

Jordan G

I'd have Tomkins at 6 as long as he and Johnson play the same way they did in attack as last year.

Speaking of our attack, do we understand the benefit of changing angles? It seems like we just spread/run towards either sideline with no real variation.

Sam Tomkin's
Tui Lolohea
Simon Mannering
Solomone Kata
Many Vatuvei
Chad Townsend
Shaun Johnson
Jacob Lillyman
Thomas Leuluai
Sam Lisone
Ryan Hoffman
Bodene Thompson
Sebastine Ikahihifo

Ben Matulino
Albiee Vete
Suaia Matagi
Ben Henry

Need mongeral in the middle and a babysitter on the edges . Mutts on bench for reason that we need experience for a full 80min but that's just me

Last edited:
Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Sam Tomkin's
Tui Lolohea
Simon Mannering
Solomone Kata
Many Vatuvei
Chad Townsend
Shaun Johnson
Jacob Lillyman
Thomas Leuluai
Sam Lisone
Ryan Hoffman
Bodene Thompson
Sebastine Ikahihifo

Ben Matulino
Albiee Vete
Suaia Matagi
Ben Henry

Need mongeral in the middle and a babysitter on the edges . Mutts on bench for reason that we need experience for a full 80min but that's just me
Dont think Ive ever seen Simon Mannering at centre on this forum. Ever. Interesting...

Reactions: eX | Machina
Lolohea
Wright
Kata
Hurrell
Vatuvei
Tomkins
Johnson
Mutts
TL
Lisone
Hoffman
Thompson
Mannering
Lillyman
Vete
Matagi
Peyroux/Henry

I toyed with Tomkins at 6 last year but couldnt justify anyone else at FB, but after that display Tui keeps the spot. Geez this lad could be GI good.
I get all the Shaun Johnson hate after last weekend but him and Tomkins are gamebreakers and to have them at 6 and 7 could be the difference that makes us a contender. Townsend at 6, from all Ive seen, is not going to win us a premership. Why not try it against the Raiders.
TL to play 80 at 9, Friend and Townsend are out. The Chad for too many mistakes. Happy with either Peyroux or Henry as a utility. DP is underated in my eyes....
Split the experienced props, wouldnt care which way round it went, Vete and Lillyman maybe to start as they are a little more orthodox and Mutts and Lisone as impact...
Wright is a solid player and good finisher. In the absence of anyone else I cant seem him letting us down.
I can see Hurrell pulling up though so all this probably goes out the window.

Claims that Tomkins at 5/8 would be less effective than at fullback because he'd be limited to one side of the field are totally unfounded. The solution is simple - he retains the roving role on attack that he would have at fullback, and you merely use Tui as first receiver on the left side. Or perhaps even easier, you just play Tui at fullback in defense, and Sam in attack. Roosters did this with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck switching between fullback and wing... Went alright for them.

Chad will get 5 weeks at 6, surely. I'm not his biggest fan, seems to choke a bit, with kicking especially. He plays hard, has a good eye for running holes.

Team must be ;

Tomkins
Lolohea
Hurrell
Kata/Wright
Vatuvei
Townsend
Shaun Johnson
Lillyman
TL
Muts
Thompson
Hoffman
Mannering

Friend
Henry
Lisone
Matagi

Henry got burnt on multiple situations on the weekend, doesn't have the pace to compete out wide. His tackling was also a bit lose, wrap up the ball man!!

I was thinking on the weekend, if Bhana can pass, he would make a fantastic hooker.. Would be the only way he would make first grade probably

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Changes, chchch-angess…Not too many, injury list a bit long for that.

Tomkins in, Lolohea right wing
If Hurrell injured, Kata right centre, Allwood left centre, we’ve been told he can’t defend, but neither can anyone else the warriors put out there.
He looks likely on attack at least, should be fired up to play his old team.
Same halves and starting pack as last game, Ikahihifo or Peyroux to replace Henry on the bench.

The raiders did look decent for 40 minutes last night, but isn’t that a ricky stuart thing, that they go alright in rd 1 and then the wheels fall off?

However whenever the sharks held onto the ball for they looked likely to score, they didn’t hold onto it that often, our halves might have been a 3 out of 10 on the weekend, cronullas were a 1 or a 2.
Last three times we’ve played canberra total scores have been 158 – 46, do you think they might have trouble with our attack?

Assuming Tomkins plays, excuses will be in very short supply. And a win is 1 of 2 on the road trip, pretty acceptable.

1. Shaun Johnson..
2. Tuimoala Lolohea
3. Konrad Hurrell..
4. Solomone Kata..
5. Manu Vatuvei..
6. Sam Tomkins..
7. Chad Townsend..
8. Jacob Lillyman..
9. Thomas Leuluai..
10. Ben Matulino..
11. Bodene Thompson..
12. Ryan Hoffman..
13. Simon Mannering..

14. Nathan Friend..
15. Sam Lisone..
16. Albert Vete..
17. Sebastine Ikahihifo..

Shaun Johnson to play his natural position as a running back, with Tomkins coming into the front line for his calm, consistent direction.... Shaun Johnson can still come up and kick the odd bomb every now and again, and he can concentrate on his goal kicking without all the added duties of being first receiver....

I can't tell if this a joke. The fact our half back golden boot winner is listed at fullback here and one of the best fullbacks to come out of the ESL is in the halves has me leaning towards joke...

Swap them back to where they should be and that's a solid team I largely agree with.

I can't tell if this a joke. The fact our half back golden boot winner is listed at fullback here and one of the best fullbacks to come out of the ESL is in the halves has me leaning towards joke...

Swap them back to where they should be and that's a solid team I largely agree with.
We've got a half back who only consistantly excells doing what a full back has to be good at and a full back who only consistently excells doing what a half back has to be good at. That to me is the real joke...

We've got a half back who only consistantly excells doing what a full back has to be good at and a full back who only consistently excells doing what a half back has to be good at. That to me is the real joke...

You obviously want different things from your fullbacks and halves. The two we have when playing well are ideal for me. Shaun Johnson can order the pack around the field, kick well and put players in scoring positions. Tomkins is reliable at the back and can add himself into the line being that extra catch and pass to put the centers and wings over the line like he did so well last year.

Shaun Johnson might be better returning the ball but that's a minor part of a fullbacks role. Even the best returners in the game only pull off something spectacular a handful of times each season.

Not any real point holding this discussion anyway because there isn't a shit show in hell it ever happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.