Pick Your Team Pick Your Team 2022 Rnd 5 - Warriors vs Cowboys

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

What the Broncos game should have taught our young blokes is that their opposites are no unbeatable. I said for them to act, not react , and they did that.

As for the Cowboys game, keep the same attitude. I would put Siro in for Jazz, very under rated imo. Otherwise cut and paste the rest of the starting lineup. The only concern I have is Arthurs, any in roads the Broncos made were on his side. Then again, not sure if that was down to him,

On the Bench, Pene back, Ben Murdoch-Masila if fit, otherwise Murchie, Bunty. The last spot is up in the air for me, did Kodi do enough as a 14, or would Otukolo's extra physical presence help the team more. I am leaning towards Otukolo, but did Kodi deserve to lose his place on that game.

wizards rage

wizards rage

I have changed my mind. Here are our next three games

round 5) Cowboys
round 6) Roosters
round 7) Storm

Who cares if he misses the Storm?

Or is that negative thinking
I think the Warriors need to contest more and win a few cases to get a fair deal going forward…

Trouble is, even with evidence they will just grade how they want 🤣

Dannevegas

Dannevegas

I really hope Brown "Doesn't change a winning team".

Pompey at centre and even Kosi should stay. Rocco Berry needs some time in reserves and should come back when an injury happens,
Our first choice centres should be Pompey and Arthars.
I really hope Brown makes this call and resists suggestions to bring Rocco back.
Some vindication this week for Aitken at second row. Aitken scrambled well.
I still think Berry and Vailea are better centres. Pompey and Arthers had the benefits of playing behind a dominant pack, which led to them seeing a lot of good ball, also any centre playing outside Shaun will do well. But they played good.

Reactions: 1 users
wizards rage

wizards rage

I think going forward Curran and Jazz are both most effective as 13 but help the team in different ways. Both need to fit into the starting team.

Jazz works as interchange but we need more minutes from him

Curren works in the second row but wasn’t as effective there against the broncos

And then Tohu Harris is coming back as well. He is built for 13 and would do the job well! I feel would be wasted at prop and may be to slow in the second row now.

Good problems to have

Reactions: 2 users
Five&Last

Five&Last

Initial point of contact was on the thigh before sliding down. I don’t think it’s a grade 3 - he didn’t hit him stationary (he still had momentum), with force (more hanging with his body weight) or below the knees in a typical cannon ball. It was play on until the tackled player remained down injured.

That’s Jazz at the bottom hitting the thigh in the initial point of contact:

View attachment 46810

Still, would we contest it with the lottery of the judiciary?
Grade 3 might be harsh, but that's still by definition a hip drop tackle. Third man in, hit below the hip and used his body weight to slide down.

Didn't look as bad in real time because Carrigan still had momentum going forward, but it didn't look good on slow motion replay.

I don't think there's any chance they risk it by appealing.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Grade 3 might be harsh, but that's still by definition a hip drop tackle. Third man in, hit below the hip and used his body weight to slide down.

Didn't look as bad in real time because Carrigan still had momentum going forward, but it didn't look good on slow motion replay.

I don't think there's any chance they risk it by appealing.
Just checking and your correct he has been charged with a hip drop (drops his weight on the legs) rather than a cannonball (hits below the knees on a stationary player).

Interestingly he was put in report for a cannon ball but charged with a hip drop. Because it wasn’t below the knee!

I definitely don’t think it’s a hip drop either as he more slid down the legs in the tackling motion because the tackles player still had momentum rather then tackling and then dropping his body weight on the lower legs. He never dropped his body weight, just slid down in the tackle.

The commentators even called it (incorrectly) tackling below the knee rather than a hip drop.

Obviously it causes the injury but more unfortunate than bad technique and more the unfortunate slide down over the knee rather than dropping the body weight onto the knee.

Edit: reviewed again and it definitely wasn’t a hip drop - he didn’t drop any weight. It was purely his upper body sliding down. If that’s illegal, every around the legs tackle that slides down to the ankles through momentum is an illegal hip drop. It isn’t a grade 3 hip drop, if a hip drop at all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wrighty

Wrighty

I still think Berry and Vailea are better centres. Pompey and Arthers had the benefits of playing behind a dominant pack, which led to them seeing a lot of good ball, also any centre playing outside Shaun will do well. But they played good.
Hi I went to the play by and searched by name our centres for all their involvements and found these

GAME ONE – Centres Vailea and Berry

33:35- Penalty - Early Tackle

PENALTY - EARLY TACKLE

Viliami Vailea

Warriors

72:37- Error​

ERROR​

Viliami Vailea

Warriors

Rocco Berry No mentions

GAME TWO Berry and Arthars

13:13- Linebreak​

LINEBREAK​

Rocco Berry

Warriors

23:16- Error​

ERROR​

Rocco Berry

Warriors

65:28- Error​

ERROR​

Rocco Berry

Warriors

41:26- Error​

ERROR​

Jesse Arthars

Warriors

GAME THREE Berry and Arthars

19:51- Error​

ERROR​

Rocco Berry

Warriors

47:56- Error​

ERROR​

Rocco Berry

Warriors

Arthars no mentions

game 4 arthars and pompey

04:41- Linebreak​

LINEBREAK​

Jesse Arthars

Warriors

04:45- Try​

TRY​

Jesse Arthars

Warriors

4 - 0

12:53- Error​

ERROR​

Jesse Arthars

Warriors

21:36- Linebreak​

LINEBREAK​

Jesse Arthars

Warriors

21:36- Try​

TRY​

Jesse Arthars

Warriors

10 - 0

42:18- Penalty - Hand in the Ruck​

PENALTY - HAND IN THE RUCK​

Adam Pompey

Warriors

51:28- Error​

ERROR​

Adam Pompey

Warriors

THE FOLLOWING FROM THE GAME STATS SHEETS

GAME 1
Berry
run meters 64
Line Break Assists 0
Try Assists 0
Line Breaks 1
Tackle Breaks 1
Tackle Efficiency 90.91%

Vailea
run meters 59
Line Break Assists 0
Try Assists 0
Line Breaks 0
Tackle Breaks 1
Tackle Efficiency 76.92%

GAME 2
Berry
run meters 128
Line Break Assists 0
Try Assists 0
Line Breaks 1
Tackle Breaks 2
Tackle Efficiency 86.36%

Arthars
run meters 81
Line Break Assists 0
Try Assists 0
Line Breaks 0
Tackle Breaks 2
Tackle Efficiency 90.91%

GAME 3
Berry
run meters 77
Line Break Assists 0
Try Assists 0
Tackle Breaks 0
Tackle Efficiency 82.35%

Arthars
run meters 54
Line Break Assists 0
Try Assists 0
Tackle Breaks 0
Tackle Efficiency 78.57%

GAME 4
Pompey
run meters 120
Line Break Assists 1
Try Assists 1
Tackle Breaks 3
Tackle Efficiency 81.25%

Arthars

run meters 120
Line Break Assists 1
Try Assists 1
Tackle Breaks 2
Tackle Efficiency 87.5%

Five&Last

Five&Last

Just checking and your correct he has been charged with a hip drop (drops his weight on the legs) rather than a cannonball (hits below the knees on a stationary player).

Interestingly he was put in report for a cannon ball but charged with a hip drop. Because it wasn’t below the knee!

I definitely don’t think it’s a hip drop either as he more slid down the legs in the tackling motion because the tackles player still had momentum rather then tackling and then dropping his body weight on the lower legs. He never dropped his body weight, just slid down in the tackle.

The commentators even called it (incorrectly) tackling below the knee rather than a hip drop.

Obviously it causes the injury but more unfortunate than bad technique and more the unfortunate slide down over the knee rather than dropping the body weight onto the knee.

Edit: reviewed again and it definitely wasn’t a hip drop - he didn’t drop any weight. It was purely his upper body sliding down. If that’s illegal, every around the legs tackle that slides down to the ankles through momentum is an illegal hip drop. It isn’t a grade 3 hip drop, if a hip drop at all!
I mean by sliding down you’re using your body weight to effect the tackle.

The biggest thing is that he was third man in and hit below the hip. That will always get pinged at the moment.

Wrighty

Wrighty

I mean by sliding down you’re using your body weight to effect the tackle.

The biggest thing is that he was third man in and hit below the hip. That will always get pinged at the moment.
What were we supposed to do? Carrigan wasn't held and was continuing to fight the tackle.

Five&Last

Five&Last

What were we supposed to do? Carrigan wasn't held and was continuing to fight the tackle.
He can still join the tackle but hitting below the hip is just asking for a penalty and that’s been pretty consistent across all games.

Given Carrigan had pretty much already ran past him, he should’ve just stayed out of the play. Let someone behind the play stop the momentum.

Wrighty

Wrighty

He can still join the tackle but hitting below the hip is just asking for a penalty and that’s been pretty consistent across all games.

Given Carrigan had pretty much already ran past him, he should’ve just stayed out of the play. Let someone behind the play stop the momentum.
I was watching the replay and also a bit of Cowboys vs Sombreros
I would say every 6 tackle set there will be two or maybe three tackles with third man in tackles below the waist like Jazz.
I don't get it at all
For the rest of the match last night there were 50 more tackles just like Jazz's

Sup42

Sup42

Jazz has filled Tohu Harris Harris's role extremely well, he will be a massive out as the Supreme middle forward defender.

And Tohu Harris inherited that same mantle from Simon Mannering.

Someone is going to have to step it up in Jazz's absence.

It is not all bad, Curran and Eagan have pulled off some epic defence in games, we will need that....and we will need Sirro or Murchie to play tacklebot on steroids.

I missed last night's Cows thumping, but it is not unexpected that after an A performance the week earlier, that a developing top eight chancer like Todd's Cows would have a slump and be flat.

I expect the Cows will go back to what works, JT passing the ball off, leaving holes for the other forwards to make big meters.

I think we will be playing a lot of this game pinned in our end, so we will need Shaun Johnson yet again to dig us out with his boot and lay on some at the line balls again, and we will need the razzle dazzle from young Walsh.

Every week that Walsh and Shaun Johnson play together the Warriors become exponentially more dangerous.

If we can win two or three games here, this club would have turned around a nightmare and set themselves up as a top eight finals contender.

Massive ask. But hey, beat the Cows and upset one of Easts/or Melbourne and the club will be on one of those special little highs that come so very rarely, sitting deservedly in the top six.

Montoya and Pompey are a nice pair, solid defenders, and the both play a very direct hard running simple straight at you edge.

That flick pass from Pompey was class....he has it in him, and Montoya hits those balls at hundred miles an hour.

Not a lot of footwork those two and not much fend and offload, and very little draw and pass usually, which is why it was nice seeing Pompey put on some style there.

But I like the way Montoya's agressive running leaves edges very little time to react. It might look crude....often times it looks like he won't score....but he gets there with his determination.

Defence

Defence

When was the last time we won 3 in a row?
We seem to struggle going back back to back but if u want to make the 8 at some stage in the season u really need to string a few together.

Wrighty

Wrighty

When was the last time we won 3 in a row?
We seem to struggle going back back to back but if u want to make the 8 at some stage in the season u really need to string a few together.
Round 20 Beat Tigers
Round 21 Beat Sharks
Round 22 Beat Dogs
Round 23 Lost Broncos with Reece missing a conversion and all sorts of kicks all night where we could have won.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Jazz has filled Tohu Harris Harris's role extremely well, he will be a massive out as the Supreme middle forward defender.

And Tohu Harris inherited that same mantle from Simon Mannering.

Someone is going to have to step it up in Jazz's absence.

It is not all bad, Curran and Eagan have pulled off some epic defence in games, we will need that....and we will need Sirro or Murchie to play tacklebot on steroids.

I missed last night's Cows thumping, but it is not unexpected that after an A performance the week earlier, that a developing top eight chancer like Todd's Cows would have a slump and be flat.

I expect the Cows will go back to what works, JT passing the ball off, leaving holes for the other forwards to make big meters.

I think we will be playing a lot of this game pinned in our end, so we will need Shaun Johnson yet again to dig us out with his boot and lay on some at the line balls again, and we will need the razzle dazzle from young Walsh.

Every week that Walsh and Shaun Johnson play together the Warriors become exponentially more dangerous.

If we can win two or three games here, this club would have turned around a nightmare and set themselves up as a top eight finals contender.

Massive ask. But hey, beat the Cows and upset one of Easts/or Melbourne and the club will be on one of those special little highs that come so very rarely, sitting deservedly in the top six.

Montoya and Pompey are a nice pair, solid defenders, and the both play a very direct hard running simple straight at you edge.

That flick pass from Pompey was class....he has it in him, and Montoya hits those balls at hundred miles an hour.

Not a lot of footwork those two and not much fend and offload, and very little draw and pass usually, which is why it was nice seeing Pompey put on some style there.

But I like the way Montoya's agressive running leaves edges very little time to react. It might look crude....often times it looks like he won't score....but he gets there with his determination.

What a lot of people have missed is that the Warriors spine had never played together before. Just that alone gives me confidence if we can keep them fit and firing.

Reactions: 3 users
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

Only reason Jazz was penalised was because the player stayed down and was subsequently ruled out of the match, otherwise would have been play on. Probably a blessing in disguise for this week though, Jazz is a penalty magnet and after Payton's bleat to media about not getting the rub of the green ref will be looking for any excuse for lopsided penalty count against us. Just look at the Titan's game.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Only reason Jazz was penalised was because the player stayed down and was subsequently ruled out of the match, otherwise would have been play on. Probably a blessing in disguise for this week though, Jazz is a penalty magnet and after Payton's bleat to media about not getting the rub of the green ref will be looking for any excuse for lopsided penalty count against us. Just look at the Titan's game.
Think another factor was the softish penalty the Broncs conceded for a lesser effort- ref dug himself a hole