kos

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2013
Not luck
Yuu make your own luck
Who asked those two players to go on a holiday to the gold coast while covid is in the community in Australia
If they went on the Virgin flight with the covid affected flight attendant one bonus is the flights were very empty just reported on tv news. Chance of getting covid low but sadly they will have to quarantine for 2 weeks

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Not luck
Yuu make your own luck
Who asked those two players to go on a holiday to the gold coast while covid is in the community in Australia
Oh mate cmon. They’re allowed a holiday, they’re not robots? It’s pure bad luck. None of this is anyone’s fault. Most athletes had a holiday except the origin players. It’s bye round mate.

rugged

1st Grade Fringe
May 1, 2012
By the way the recruitment of Montoya was arguably our best dollar for dollar acquisition of the last 5 years
Montoya has been a great buy and I hope we hang on to him, He is reliable and versatile and doesn't eat up too much cap, every squad needs a couple of those.

In terms of value for money Walsh would make a pretty good case. Hopefully next year Shaun Johnson will tear it up and be our best ever value for money transfer

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
I want to make one more post based on cricket history to illustrate my point about the best learning environments and why reserve grade should be used to develop chanel

Am using cricket as a noob at league but more of an expert on cricket hence my username

In the early 1900s in England there were different paths
Some at the age of 18 went straight to professional cricket which was played at the time on questionable pitches and the finest competitors and bowlers in all of England were the opposition

The other path was university cricket and the batting paradises with far easier oppositions playing for Oxford or Cambridge etc

Nearly all the names that are hallowed through history such as Colin Cowdry etc took the second path where they could develop confidence, learn to ton up regularly, bat long periods of times and develop self belief.

The guys thrown in at the deep end to learn mostly sank rather than swum

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I want to make one more post based on cricket history to illustrate my point about the best learning environments and why reserve grade should be used to develop chanel

Am using cricket as a noob at league but more of an expert on cricket hence my username

Some at the age of 18 went straight to professional cricket which was played at the time on questionable pitches and the finest competitors and bowlers in all of England were the opposition

The other path was university cricket and the batting paradises with far easier oppositions playing for Oxford or Cambridge etc

Nearly all the names that are hallowed through history such as Colin Cowdry etc took the second path where they could develop confidence, learn to ton up regularly, bat long periods of times and develop self belief.

The guys thrown in at the deep end to learn mostly sank rather than swu

Some people thrive on challenge - eg Walsh getting an Origin call up

Others are probably better suited in a less pressured environment for their learning. Which one is Chanel Harris-Tavita?

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
Some people thrive on challenge - eg Walsh getting an Origin call up

Others are probably better suited in a less pressured environment for their learning. Which one is Chanel Harris-Tavita?
According to books I have read on how to make decisions a person is supposed to pick a path that usually works for most people rather that trying to figure out which path fits with your unique character and strengths and weaknesses
The reason for that is that we get subjectively involved and have trouble making accurate assessments at an individual level but people can be better decision makers in the general case

Reactions: Tragic

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
According to books I have read on how to make decisions a person is supposed to pick a path that usually works for most people rather that trying to figure out which path fits with your unique character and strengths and weaknesses
The reason for that is that we get subjectively involved and have trouble making accurate assessments at an individual level but people can be better decision makers in the general case

Are NRL players "most people" though? I would think they make up a small minority of very gifted and able athletes... therefore the 1%'ers... not sure generalisations apply to them?

Reactions: Tragic and Toookey

Geoff Public

1000 Days in Oz Tour. See NRL.COM for venue dates
Contributor
Dec 7, 2018
Auckland

The guys thrown in at the deep end to learn mostly sank rather than swum
Nice summary. It can depend on how it's managed.

India thought it was a bad idea for Tendulkar to start his career on a tour of the Windies, so delayed his debut.
Our selectors chose Rutherford in the same situation.

Queensland has the same desperation NZ had, looking for a miracle that doesn't exist and prepared to sacrifice a talented player to achieve its ends.

At 4.50 to 1.20 the bookies say it all.
Does this mean I will will have to keep seeing Latrells photo next week.

Last edited:

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Not luck
Yuu make your own luck
That’s like blaming someone who walks down the road and gets hit by a car.
“you make your own luck, should have used the other side of the street”.

How ever you look at it, there are 16 teams with a top 30 players - over 450 players were talking here. The Warriors get two of their first grade team caught up in this.

Very, very unlucky

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Not luck
Yuu make your own luck
I see you are coping a bit for this post.

The big picture agrees with you.

The entire NRL comp has been gambling on this idea that it wont happen to them.

And that is ok, right up until this Delta variant appeared with an R naught of eight.

Wild Covid, the original stuff had an R naught of 1.3.

The day Australia and NZ learned that the Delta variant is approaching eight times worse than the Covid they built their systems around, the NRL should have been proactive and not reactive and returned to the bubbles.

Frankly they were lucky these two did not get through the net and play in a scenario where they had Covid and the whole competition collapsed for two to six weeks.

Dummies have returned to the Bubble now, all too late for the Warriors.

This scenario where the Virus was in planes was always going to happen with something eight times more infectious than the disease we originally feared.

I think that the players should be excused from blame because they are acting on advice from the clubs, but the whole comp was really dumb running things the way they were the day Covid went super infectious.

It will be interesting to see what happens to this comp when the borders open.

Players who do not get vaccinated will get sick along with every other person unvaccinated.

The NRL will need to plan for that down the track.

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Not luck
Yuu make your own luck
We have discussed this before Wrighty in-depth - everything in our life is the sum of our individual choices. Their is no luck - just a series of risks that we chose to take.

Agree we 99% of the time make our own luck.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
There are two situations we face, those we can control and those we can't. I don't think the Warriors handle the controllable ones well. Catching, passing, support play, kicking, tackling. Playing to the conditions. These all can and should be worked on on a daily basis.

The Warriors as a team do not learn from mistakes. I think that is self evident with the number of close games let slip. Someone like Townsend will make a big difference in putting the team in the right positions.

DallyM

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2016
It's good that we have capable centre and backrow cover, hoping Reece is good to go and will give us that edge over the Dragons side, love watching him play.... but still pretty confident we can easily beat them even without Reece

Billyspleen75

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
Silverdale
Not the recruitment thread so happier to go down this rabbit hole here
I agree Chanel Harris-Tavita should be either trialed at centre as Keighran was a revelation there after being ordinary at stand off
The other option I support is letting Chanel Harris-Tavita develop at half in reserve grade. Adamantly opposed to letting non first grade people develop to the required level in first grade

Keighran played a lot of center in reserve grade for the Panthers and was NSW Cup center of the year in 2018. I wouldn't call his first grade performances a revelation, just him playing in his more suited position.
Chanel Harris-Tavita would have to spend 12-18 months playing center in reserve grade before being first grade ready I think. I don't see it happening

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings