Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
In regards to Walsh vs Chanel Harris-Tavita vs Kodi and Brown acknowledging selection mistakes.

Brown made a long term decision on the weekend (Chanel Harris-Tavita and Kodi as our long term halves) and to protect Walsh.

If he’s thinking short term he starts Walsh and one of his future halves miss out.

While Brown may have mucked up short term, it’s only in hindsight and because of the result. Long term he somehow needs to priorities games into Chanel Harris-Tavita and Kodi if they are our future halves and try to involve Walsh without over doing him.

For all the good Walsh does, he is still well below NRL standard on defence and will be prone to injury if over exposed to heavy contact while his conditioning is still developing.
I think one of his biggest selection mistakes was dropping Murchie from the bench to make way for a half. As good as they are with what they do a small forward in Jazz and two workhorse props just didn't give us the impact we needed.

rugged

1st Grade Fringe
May 1, 2012
I think one of his biggest selection mistakes was dropping Murchie from the bench to make way for a half. As good as they are with what they do a small forward in Jazz and two workhorse props just didn't give us the impact we needed.
The problem wasn't the half on the bench. It was Jazz, Curran and Siro in the same 17. Murchie needed to take Sironens spot. As much as i like Curran he is on notice for his dropsies (if not suspended, did he end up with shoulder contact on the head?)

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Been thinking about this instead of working.

Kodi needs to suck up a big one. Basically we need to start with Walsh and Chanel Harris-Tavita in the halves.

Reasoning:

Chanel Harris-Tavita is different to Kodi and Walsh. And is an excellent defender. Has more upside than Kodi and is not as bad as people are making out.

Walsh, already looks like an upgrade on Kodi and has a better kicking game than the other two.

Egan is not the hooker we are looking for, or at least for 80 minutes. Kodi can spell Egan.

Kodi can also come on and give Walsh a spell if we need to do this to protect him.

so:

1: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2: Pompey
3: Rocco
4: Aitkin
5: Ed K
6: Walsh
7: Chanel Harris-Tavita
8: Jamayne Tounua-Brown
9: Egan
10: Evans
11: Curran
12: Ben Murdoch-Masila
13: Harris

14: Kodi
15: Jazz
16: Afoa
17: Au Mau

18: Murchie/Katoa

I'd even been open to swapping Jamayne Tounua-Brown with Murchie. Jamayne Tounua-Brown is very underwhelming.

No room for Ken I'm afraid.
Right on Jamayne Tounua-Brown, he’s averaging a poultry 50 meters a game this season on top of his other stats which are also underwhelming. Time for a spell in QCUP I think.

Katoa played about 30 minutes in the middle against the Blackhawks on the Weekend which I thought was interesting, no HIA’s or injuries that I noticed, could be something there.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
An interesting team selection coming up this afternoon. Brown took the safe option last week going back to his halves pairing from earlier in the season, likely the pairing he was planning on all off season.

Nikorima and Walsh probably deserved another run after their previous outing.

Now add it Browns comments about giving Walsh more game time or he should have started him I'm expecting he'd be named at 6. Now what does Brown do with Chanel Harris-Tavita and Nikorima?

I'd guess he is likely to play both of them with one off the bench. If Walsh has issues defensively they can replace him but will likely go to dummy half.

The main thing we need with Nikorima if he is in the halves or dummy half he needs to run. I made the comment last year when he occassionally goes into dummy half while playing in the halves he runs, seems to run more than when he is playing dummy half. If he plays at dummy half he needs to be a bit more selfish and run. I'd instruct him to pick certain players like Ben Murdoch-Masila and when they do a big run, take off out of dummy half.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The other interesting selection is the edges. If Aitken is back it will help give us more options.

Berry and Pompey deserve to be named. Might need to move one of them out to the wing.

The two main things for this week. Fix up our edge defence and fix up our second halves where we have been fading. There are going to be momentum shifts we need to cut out our mistakes to try and swing it back.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
An interesting team selection coming up this afternoon. Brown took the safe option last week going back to his halves pairing from earlier in the season, likely the pairing he was planning on all off season.

Nikorima and Walsh probably deserved another run after their previous outing.

Now add it Browns comments about giving Walsh more game time or he should have started him I'm expecting he'd be named at 6. Now what does Brown do with Chanel Harris-Tavita and Nikorima?

I'd guess he is likely to play both of them with one off the bench. If Walsh has issues defensively they can replace him but will likely go to dummy half.

The main thing we need with Nikorima if he is in the halves or dummy half he needs to run. I made the comment last year when he occassionally goes into dummy half while playing in the halves he runs, seems to run more than when he is playing dummy half. If he plays at dummy half he needs to be a bit more selfish and run. I'd instruct him to pick certain players like Ben Murdoch-Masila and when they do a big run, take off out of dummy half.
Yeah I agree on Nikorima, he can unpick a middle better than most if given the opportunity.

I‘d like to see Nikorima starting at 7 with Walsh at 6. After 50 minutes depending on injuries/HIA’s spell Egan and move Kodi to dummy-half, bring Channel on at 7.

Understand Brown wants to put time into Chanel Harris-Tavita at halfback back but Walsh arriving changes all that - he’s green AF but you’ve gotta play him until he proves you wrong.

I think he’ll change it up this week.

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
Optimistic for this game. Eels are well publicised to be under strength.

3 of our 5 losses this year have a combined points differential of -11 which shows we are there or thereabouts this year for the most part.

Quite a crucial match this - with Tigers then Cowboys to come we could build some momentum ahead of some big guns returning to the team.

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012
Would Katoa be eligible if he played QCup out of the bubble? Eels are in strife because they were supposed to pull NRL contracted players from lower grades and so might not be able to field a full team - not sure if if it's only NSW cup that was affected or not.

Reactions: 6Again

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
Would Katoa be eligible if he played QCup out of the bubble? Eels are in strife because they were supposed to pull NRL contracted players from lower grades and so might not be able to field a full team - not sure if if it's only NSW cup that was affected or not.
Apparently other NRL clubs are cracking the shits because they did the right thing and the Eels basically ignored the guidelines.

Louim8

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2020
Chanel Harris-Tavita is an organising half? How? Walsh is a better organising half, and a better running half...
So if paired with Chanel Harris-Tavita, you would rather walsh play 7 and Chanel Harris-Tavita 6? Fyi i never said Chanel Harris-Tavita is better than walsh at organising and running, do you think im blind and dumb obviously anyone with eyes can see that.
I said Chanel Harris-Tavita is better than nikorima at those things and thus would be a better pairing in the halves with walsh.

I get it, you dont like Chanel Harris-Tavita. I get it.

I also understand Chanel Harris-Tavita is has only just turned 22 and only has 29 appearances at a club that has not had much consistency in the playing squad ever since he debuted, and to top it off he just came back from a long term injury, so i think he needs more time.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Paulo24

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 3, 2014
So if paired with Chanel Harris-Tavita, you would rather walsh play 7 and Chanel Harris-Tavita 6? Fyi i never said Chanel Harris-Tavita is better than walsh at organising and running, do you think im blind and dumb obviously anyone with eyes can see that.
I said Chanel Harris-Tavita is better than nikorima at those things and thus would be a better pairing in the halves with walsh.

I also understand Chanel Harris-Tavita is has only just turned 22 and only has 29 appearances at a club that has not had much consistency in the playing squad ever since he debuted, and to top it off he just came back from a long term injury, so i think he needs more time.
Do you really think Chanel Harris-Tavita has a better running game than Kodi?

Louim8

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2020

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012

Take a breath and chill. I actually really like Chanel Harris-Tavita. I have heaps of time for most players but I want what's best for the team.

Your first premise is incorrect, which is that Walsh needs an organising half next to him. I don't think that's the case at all. Especially since we don't have one; Walsh IS our organising half.
Match that with the bizarre spark from Kodi when he was partnered with Walsh and it seems Kodi needs a guy that next to him to improve.

Mix those factors with Kodi being here next year and our lack of a hooker and the best outcome for the TEAM for this YEAR could be
6. Walsh
7. Kodi
14. Chanel Harris-Tavita

Chanel's defense is the best of the bunch, and while is kicking isn't great for half its probably top 3 for hookers.

The team is more than just the ability of individuals. Have a look at Raiders and the Broncs for that reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings