Pick Your Team Pick Your Team 2020 Rnd 9 - Titans vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been watching Egan closely since returning to following the teams games.

Very underrated or miss understood player. He doesn’t run. Warriors fans want a running Hooker. Hey look its good when they get little breaks here and there.

But forget it, if your hooker is playing the ball to forwards that receive it at the advantage line, and your team is constantly rolling down field deep into opposition territory, you have a bloody good hooker.

The Warriors pack when Egan plays at dummy half is twice the sum of its parts.

We are absolutely flogging teams through the middle, you cannot do that without superior service.

We have out rolled the big packs, things look really really good.

So perversely Warriors cruel that our backs are crap, we would be way up the ladder with backs.

I don’t want Egan running. You can keep your two to four runs per game oh wow hookers....we have no need of it, our forwards have Leg speed, they need early ball or they are wasted.

It's ten times easier if you are a Prop with early ball.

You dont have to time your run as much, you get the ball, you stop stressing about 'whens the hooker gonna let it go' and you can focus on winding up.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
Looking forward to the professor being back.

1593919382036.png

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Very underrated or miss understood player. He doesn’t run. Warriors fans want a running Hooker. Hey look its good when they get little breaks here and there.

But forget it, if your hooker is playing the ball to forwards that receive it at the advantage line, and your team is constantly rolling down field deep into opposition territory, you have a bloody good hooker.

We are absolutely flogging teams through the middle, you cannot do that without superior service.

He is gold, screw Roach and his runs, I know with every bone in my body when your forwards are winning every week you lock in your DH.

So perversely Warriors cruel that our backs are crap, we would be way up the ladder with backs.

I don’t want Egan running. You can keep your two to four runs per game oh wow hookers....we have no need of it, our forwards have Leg speed, they need early ball or they are wasted.

You dont have to time your run as much, you get the ball, you stop stressing about 'whens the hooker gonna let it go' and you can focus on winding up.
If he can add a few more runs and a kicking game we could have a complete DH! He will do fine until Brandon Smith wants to come home.

Reactions: 1 users
If he can add a few more runs and a kicking game we could have a complete DH! He will do fine until Brandon Smith wants to come home.
Our pack is out playing everyone this season. I dont think we need the eye candy.
Watched years withh 2018 being the only exception of our pack losing every game.

Thats on the hooker.

Reactions: 5 users
Our pack is out playing everyone this season. I dont think we need the eye candy.
Watched years withh 2018 being the only exception of our pack losing every game.

Thats on the hooker.

I agree with your point that with good service and momentum, Egan doesn't need to do the sexy dummy half running stuff, but it's good to know he can do it so he's not too predicable. But getting that service going bang-bang-bang is his number one thing.

Reactions: 2 users

wrighty

Egan has been super since game one this season and is getting stronger each game. Superb signing by POS.

Roache is signed for 2020 only and NOT for 2021 and beyond.

He is due back mid season.

I personally would announce right now we don't want Roache next year so him and his agent can start shopping him around.

Sup42s post is brilliant in the way he pointed out this message board is overvaluing running.
Cam Smith had less running than Cook in 2019. Who would you want out of Cook and Smith?

2018 running metres
Smith 1324
Cook 2052
Hodgson 1140

Reactions: 3 users
Egan has been super since game one this season and is getting stronger each game. Superb signing by POS.

I personally would announce right now we don't want Roache next year so him and his agent can start shopping him around.

Sup42s post is brilliant in the way he pointed out this message board is overvaluing running.
Cam Smith had less running than Cook in 2019. Who would you want out of Cook and Smith?

2018 running metres
Smith 1324
Cook 2052
Hodgson 1140

Smith and Hodgson both averaged between 40-50 running metres per game. Egan is sub 25, although in fairness his last two games were around that 40-50 range.

Egan doesn't need to run a lot but defenses need to believe he could and even if he doesn't run he still needs to engage the line a little more.

Reactions: 4 users

2018 running metres
Smith 1324
Cook 2052
Hodgson 1140

Have you seen much of Roache Wrighty? He’s been injured for what seems like an eternity now but when he emerged he looked to be a cut above and looked to have a bright future.

Could see his running game compliment Egan off the bench, he’d be a handful around the ruck with the new laws.

Probably not going to gain much by letting him go either, he won’t be taking up much of the cap and you‘ll still need to replace him with someone else.

Reactions: 3 users

wrighty

Smith and Hodgson both averaged between 40-50 running metres per game. Egan is sub 25, although in fairness his last two games were around that 40-50 range.

Egan doesn't need to run a lot but defenses need to believe he could and even if he doesn't run he still needs to engage the line a little more.
It's a larger issue for me JaggedJ it really is.

Egan played poorly in his first two games, granted, as the quality of his service was poor. Blake Green had to catch a couple of half volleys and another two were above his head.
But right away there were glimpses of class that showed he was far better than Karl Lawton and you could the rust was because he was injured and couldn't do much off season training.
Since Covid he has looked fucking slick.
Other teams in pre-game interviews are revealing that they are discussing Egan and big rugby league brains like Ivan Cleary see Egan as our Key to our go forward.

Which brings me to my point which grinds my gears.

Nothing and nobody is good enough for some of warriors fans on this message board in the past two months.
People have been dissing Roger Tuivasa-Sheck over recent weeks without stopping to think about how heavily marked he is and how much footage of him opposition teams watch.

A whole bunch of dudes on this web site want Roache to play as our number one hooker despite the fact Roache gets injured more often than Kieran Foran does and we should staty well clear of Nathaniel.

Nothing is good enough for the fans this year.

Egan came highly touted and he is starting to live up to some big things that were said about him.

Egan is about middle of the dummy halfs in the NRL right now while Roache and Lawton would not make the top thirty.

Even if Egan sticks at 25-30 metres he is still better than
1) Jazz at Hooker
2) Nathaniel I-am-made-of-glass- Roache
3) Karl-I-miss-important-tackles-Lawton

And it didn't used to be the way last year. Something has changed. When we all bagged a player like Kata it was with good reason. This year this message board has started turning on our strong players inexplicably.
1) Murchie
2) Egan
3) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
4) Ken Maumalo
5) Burr*

PS By the way there is nothing wrong with Burr given his salary is like $100K. He is a cheap budget role player. He does his job well. Every team needs to have some $100K guys to fit into the Salary Cap. Burr is fine considering how much he costs.

The dissing of Egan ties into a bigger issue for me. For the first time today had to put someone on ignore who just spends their time bashing our exciting up and coming team.

I would rather have our roster than many other rosters in the comp.

Reactions: 8 users
Have you seen much of Roache Wrighty? He’s been injured for what seems like an eternity now but when he emerged he looked to be a cut above and looked to have a bright future.

Could see his running game compliment Egan off the bench, he’d be a handful around the ruck with the new laws.
A healthy and in form Roache had the potential to be the best hooker in the game in my opinion. Unbelievably dynamic.

A lot of lost potential with those injuries and probably won’t ever reach his ceiling now. But still worth the risk of carrying him on the roster on a low dollar contract. Unless Otukolo, Kalepo, Mullaney or Slade break through.

Reactions: 7 users

Billy Teets James

He is gold, screw Roach and his runs, I know with every bone in my body when your forwards are winning every week you lock in your DH.

Last night he provided balance. He "Ran" more and did his dummy half duties. I like this Egan.
Before that, It was pass, pass , pass.

He doesn't always have to do it. But it puts opposing defenders in two minds and opens up holes for his support runners and himself.

He also has to ditch the no look pass. I'm amazed he wasn't pulled up for at least 3 forward passes.

Othwrise, I like the look of him.

Edit - Roache has had real bad luck with injury.
He is super strong, Fast & a decent defender.
Feel sorry for the kid. But I wouldn't write him off so soon.
I still think he offers this club a lot if he can sort his body out.

Reactions: 4 users
It's a larger issue for me JaggedJ it really is.

Egan played poorly in his first two games, granted, as the quality of his service was poor. Blake Green had to catch a couple of half volleys and another two were above his head.
But right away there were glimpses of class that showed he was far better than Karl Lawton and you could the rust was because he was injured and couldn't do much off season training.
Since Covid he has looked fucking slick.
Other teams in pre-game interviews are revealing that they are discussing Egan and big rugby league brains like Ivan Cleary see Egan as our Key to our go forward.

Which brings me to my point which grinds my gears.

Nothing and nobody is good enough for some of warriors fans on this message board in the past two months.
People have been dissing Roger Tuivasa-Sheck over recent weeks without stopping to think about how heavily marked he is and how much footage of him opposition teams watch.

A whole bunch of dudes on this web site want Roache to play as our number one hooker despite the fact Roache gets injured more often than Kieran Foran does and we should staty well clear of Nathaniel.

Nothing is good enough for the fans this year.

Egan came highly touted and he is starting to live up to some big things that were said about him.

Egan is about middle of the dummy halfs in the NRL right now while Roache and Lawton would not make the top thirty.

Even if Egan sticks at 25-30 metres he is still better than
1) Jazz at Hooker
2) Nathaniel I-am-made-of-glass- Roache
3) Karl-I-miss-important-tackles-Lawton

And it didn't used to be the way last year. Something has changed. When we all bagged a player like Kata it was with good reason. This year this message board has started turning on our strong players inexplicably.
1) Murchie
2) Egan
3) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
4) Ken Maumalo
5) Burr*

PS By the way there is nothing wrong with Burr given his salary is like $100K. He is a cheap budget role player. He does his job well. Every team needs to have some $100K guys to fit into the Salary Cap. Burr is fine considering how much he costs.

The dissing of Egan ties into a bigger issue for me. For the first time today had to put someone on ignore who just spends their time bashing our exciting up and coming team.

I would rather have our roster than many other rosters in the comp.

Any forum, social network has hundreds if not thousands of users all with individual arguments and opinions.

Try not to think of it as "fans" collectively because then you will just do your head in.

Whether it's movies, music, TV, games, rugby league players, there will always be someone who doesn't like something even if the other 99% do. Impossible to please everyone.

Murchie and Egan weren't even in the team last year so can't really be turned on by anyone. People will either like them or not.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is a silly one. Easily our best player with Tohu Harris, but we saw today in the Knights v Eagles game, once you remove strike weapons it becomes very easy to zero in on the ones who remain and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is a victim of that.

I think people are just starting to see the flaws in Maumalo. He's not an all round player. He does a few things really well, but people are realising we can't win consistently without players who are equally good at all parts of their job.

I think people have been divided on Burr since day one and IMO it hasn't changed all that much.

Billy Teets James

I think people are just starting to see the flaws in Maumalo. He's not an all round player. He does a few things really well, but people are realising we can't win consistently without players who are equally good at all parts of their job.
Umm, Just starting to realise? We've known for years that he has "Many Flaws" as a "Winger"......

He's the biggest dude in our squad.
He's a huge human.
I don't expect him to be twinkle toes Marshall or Shaun Johnson.

He's usually good under the high ball.

He makes the most metres for us. And does it often. Has a pretty decent motor.

Gets us out of trouble a lot with his barging runs.

A winger doing our props job.

But we all know his lateral movement is cake. Off the mark he is slow.

It's not knew to us. Most of us know this.

Reactions: 6 users
Umm, Just starting to realise? We've known for years that he has "Many Flaws" as a "Winger"......

He's the biggest dude in our squad.
He's a huge human.
I don't expect him to be twinkle toes Marshall or Shaun Johnson.

He's usually good under the high ball.

He makes the most metres for us. And does it often. Has a pretty decent motor.

Gets us out of trouble a lot with his barging runs.

A winger doing our props job.

But we all know his lateral movement is cake. Off the mark he is slow.

It's not knew to us. Most of us know this.

People were far more willing to overlook his flaws previously. Wrighty is right that the sentiment against him has increased this season.

Billy Teets James

People were far more willing to overlook his flaws previously. Wrighty is right that the sentiment against him has increased this season.
I don't remember anyone overlooking his flaws.
He gets it every week wether he plays bad or good lol. From a select few.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't remember anyone overlooking his flaws.
He gets it every week wether he plays bad or good lol. From a select few.

Lol, seeing as I'm definitely one of the select few I'm confident there have been people overlooking his flaws.

I've had too many debates against them not to know it....and will probably again for the next two weeks before he heads home.

Reactions: 1 user
Last night he provided balance. He "Ran" more and did his dummy half duties. I like this Egan.
Before that, It was pass, pass , pass.

He doesn't always have to do it. But it puts opposing defenders in two minds and opens up holes for his support runners and himself.

He also has to ditch the no look pass. I'm amazed he wasn't pulled up for at least 3 forward passes.

Othwrise, I like the look of him.

Edit - Roache has had real bad luck with injury.
He is super strong, Fast & a decent defender.
Feel sorry for the kid. But I wouldn't write him off so soon.
I still think he offers this club a lot if he can sort his body out.
Egan looks like he has no speed off the mark, his runs are kind of a waste of time in that regard.

Seeing the meters Harris and more especially Blair get with Egan sealed the deal for me, we know their output, we know what they look like with other hookers.

A lot of people seem to miss that we are rolling into the opposition half all the time. It's a massive shift from our forwards struggling to get to our forty.

Last edited:
To me Roache looked overly bulky up which gave him ‘superhuman’ speed and power. But it’s his body being to strong for his natural physique that potentially led to his injuries.

It will be interesting to see his body shape when he’s back and if they lean him down. Will he still have his explosiveness?

I fear to have a healthy career he may need to lose his strengths.

A lot of people seem to miss that we are rolling into the opposition half all the time. It's a massive shift from our forwards struggling to get to our forty.

Wrestles gone, games go end to end now.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.