Status
Not open for further replies.
I sort of agree, however if he wasn't there I dread to think what our go forward would be like.

I don't disagree with that and for what it's worth if I was forced to pick the team I would have to pick him reluctantly on the wing (contradicting what I said earlier) because he's the best of what we have. My recruitment/development high priority for 2020 would be a decent winger.

But doesn't that sum up the Warriors management and coaching mentality? We lose Manu so rather than adapting the team we just find a guy who is big and fast for his size so we don't have to adapt.

It's like when we were light on experience so we get Lowrie and Neilsen. Never mind they were both average, but we were happy to create a new hole to try and cover up the old one.

Maumalo was never a winger, he was dragged into the role because of his physical attributes and what frustrates me in a way is how well he has done the things we've asked him to do.

He's done remarkable to reach the level he has, and has shown the grit, determination and desire of a true Warrior. The guy is one person who IMO legit never gives up.

But that's also what frustrates me. If that same mentality Maumalo had could have been developed for the second row we could have had our genuine edge breaking, halfback terrorizing, impact making forward that our team sorely lacks.

Add to that a winger who can still make metres, has the extra pace to finish plays and provide support play and has those extra skills where he makes a break and can kick inside to support players.

Right now we've got Maumalo and Papali'i/Blair on the edges and wing. That is a limited combo no matter how you approach it.

Wouldn't you much prefer a true game changing edge threat with a winger outside who can benefit from the carnage he provides?

My issue with Maumalo isn't Maumalo himself. He's a true Warrior who has done incredibly well with what he was asked to do.

My issue is with the management and coaching who IMO were short sighted in filling a hole in the short term that could have been turned into a game changer long term.

Now, of course it's no guarantee that Maumalo would have become that player if kept in the second row, but considering the work ethic, desire, and all around determination he's shown to get to where he is, it's hard not to sit back and wonder "what if".

So yeah, I will continue to be frustrated with Maumalo on the wing, but that shouldn't be confused with me disliking him as a player because it's quite the opposite. I feel like no matter how much he does his job on the wing he could have done so much more for us if we hadn't insisted on a quick fix fill of the hole Manu left behind.

PS - Sorry about the novel sized post.

bruce

Contributor
I don't disagree with that and for what it's worth if I was forced to pick the team I would have to pick him reluctantly on the wing (contradicting what I said earlier) because he's the best of what we have. My recruitment/development high priority for 2020 would be a decent winger.

But doesn't that sum up the Warriors management and coaching mentality? We lose Manu so rather than adapting the team we just find a guy who is big and fast for his size so we don't have to adapt.

It's like when we were light on experience so we get Lowrie and Neilsen. Never mind they were both average, but we were happy to create a new hole to try and cover up the old one.

Maumalo was never a winger, he was dragged into the role because of his physical attributes and what frustrates me in a way is how well he has done the things we've asked him to do.

He's done remarkable to reach the level he has, and has shown the grit, determination and desire of a true Warrior. The guy is one person who IMO legit never gives up.

But that's also what frustrates me. If that same mentality Maumalo had could have been developed for the second row we could have had our genuine edge breaking, halfback terrorizing, impact making forward that our team sorely lacks.

Add to that a winger who can still make metres, has the extra pace to finish plays and provide support play and has those extra skills where he makes a break and can kick inside to support players.

Right now we've got Maumalo and Papali'i/Blair on the edges and wing. That is a limited combo no matter how you approach it.

Wouldn't you much prefer a true game changing edge threat with a winger outside who can benefit from the carnage he provides?

My issue with Maumalo isn't Maumalo himself. He's a true Warrior who has done incredibly well with what he was asked to do.

My issue is with the management and coaching who IMO were short sighted in filling a hole in the short term that could have been turned into a game changer long term.

Now, of course it's no guarantee that Maumalo would have become that player if kept in the second row, but considering the work ethic, desire, and all around determination he's shown to get to where he is, it's hard not to sit back and wonder "what if".

So yeah, I will continue to be frustrated with Maumalo on the wing, but that shouldn't be confused with me disliking him as a player because it's quite the opposite. I feel like no matter how much he does his job on the wing he could have done so much more for us if we hadn't insisted on a quick fix fill of the hole Manu left behind.

PS - Sorry about the novel sized post.
Other commentators raved about Manu's stats, not only as a try scorer (one of the best ever) but also the rest he gave his forwards on the first hit up. So it became a coaching idea, which if I am correct only the Warriors have stuck with because most clubs are going for speed then size.

Where it has gone wrong here is SK has sacrificed Ken on the altar of supposedly smaller and faster forwards.

Reactions: defensivebomb
Other commentators raved about Manu's stats, not only as a try scorer (one of the best ever) but also the rest he gave his forwards on the first hit up. So it became a coaching idea, which if I am correct only the Warriors have stuck with because most clubs are going for speed then size.

Where it has gone wrong here is SK has sacrificed Ken on the altar of supposedly smaller and faster forwards.

Remember when Manly tried to Manu Tony Williams. Aside from a few moments it was a disaster. Then in 2011 Des quickly moved him into the second row and for that one year he was absolutely devastating.

That's what Maumalo could have been except Ken has all the mental attributes to have done it for a long period of time unlike Williams who quickly fell off a cliff.

Billy Teets James

So if we want to have him and Fusitua we need a really fast centre or half. We have no speed in this team
Unfortunately, We have no speed in our reserves as well. Apart from Hayze, & this new yet to see play Fijian kid, & Setu Tu, Who has some promise. Who are all not ready(Hayze maybe, But out of position) we are left with Cole Waaka/Taane Milne/Ayshford/Adam Pompey. None of them are notable speedsters.
Can't wait til we sign Lattrell Mitchell mid week for 2 mIl a season lol

You wont see either, atleast until July. Neither in our top 30, and Selestino is on a development contract. Has he even played NSW Cup yet?

It's very much a case of people talking up players through the off/preseason.

I haven't even seen our sand dune champion play Flegg. He was named one week but was a late scratching.

No idea if he's been injured or just being developed in the background.

Want yo

Not just Ken, Fusitua is increasingly being used as a battering ram and surprise surprise ends up with a rib injury. Bloody ridiculous picking only two forwards on the bench and one of them only being a 20 minute player.

Have to disagree there. Every club employs a big bodied winger who is not your traditional "beat the man on the outside" winger.

Just to name a few would be Nene McDonald, Jorge Tafua, Mahe Fonua, Corey Oates, Blake Ferguson, Josh Mansour.

tajhay

🏉
Good news for Warriors sympathisers, Corey Norman has suspected cheek fracture and most likely out.

In his place Jai Field...Remember that kid that lit up Auckland 9s few years back with lethal speed. Frizell also likely out, along with current unavailable players including DeBelin, K Sims, Widdop.

You would think we might....nah who am I kidding. Dragons 1-12 Is the best we can hope for.

Full Back
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

Right Edge
Fusitua
AK (Goal Kicking and Passing to Fusitua in space)
HARRIS

Left Edge
Blair (Because fuck it, he's getting paid, might as well have him there to use as a punching bag on the forum)
Herbert
Mamaulo

Locks
Burr
Papali'i

Front Row Rotation
Paasi
Ah Mau
Afoa
Sao

Hookers
Luke
Roach

Halves
Green
KN

Coach
Someone who is able to understand all the players and their different goals and aspirations well enough to give them all individually targeted motivational guidance to ensure that they play to the absolute maximum of their ability on game day. ie: Not Kearney or Iro.

Can't get on board with AK to centre.

He was pushed out to centre playing in a stacked NSW Cup side that could have had two Kata's and Hiku's standing next to each other in defence and still win.

I don't think he's anywhere near being capable of defending in the centres in first grade.

Then again neither is Hiku soooo....we're fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.