Pick Your Team Pick Your Team 2018 Rnd 4 - Roosters vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tragic

Tragic

Losing Lisone means we lose 50 % of our best leg speed off our bench forward Rotation, it is a significant loss ( Bunty is still there so not all's lost).

For that reason it is a real shame that Lawton isn't fit....he could offset some of the loss of our Process ( you could substitute that word for speed and endurance).

If Paasi were fully fit there would be no worries, he is fast like Moimoi was for a tank.

Papalii is another that could have offset Lisones loss....purely on a Leg speed basis.

None of these guys are quite the same though....Lisone V.2 is quick and direct....make that very quick.

Add to the equation us missing Roach....more forward speed.

Imagine if Beale were fit and Kearney Rolled Ken off the bench as a direct speed swap for Lisone....Some one call a Tow truck it's gonna be a bad one....

People's solutions to Lisones speed ???

I would like to see Soosoomea to the wing and Ken to 2nd row, even if it wasjust for a short stint. Not sure how that would affect the defense, I would probably have him near the middle and Mannering on one edge

Reactions: 1 user
Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Contributor
I don't know if anyone else does, but I always rewatch the game the next day so can watch players more closely without the live emotion. Paasi played only 20mins and looked sub standard he missed 2-3 crucial tackles just like he was doing in ISP the week before and almost lost the ball couple times in his runs. I think Kearney had seen enough and thats why he never got back on the field, hes not where the rest of the squad is fitness wise atm. There has to be another option, because he will cost us.

Reactions: 5 users
ko wai ra

ko wai ra

Bench is going to be hotly contested as our injured return for sure......
SK now has the potential to mould his rotations to maximize impact!!!!
Wow,couldn't hav said that last few yrs.....

Reactions: 1 users
Makasene

Makasene

I don't know if anyone else does, but I always rewatch the game the next day so can watch players more closely without the live emotion. Paasi played only 20mins and looked sub standard he missed 2-3 crucial tackles just like he was doing in ISP the week before and almost lost the ball couple times in his runs. I think Kearney had seen enough and thats why he never got back on the field, hes not where the rest of the squad is fitness wise atm. There has to be another option, because he will cost us.

He should not have been starting.

If you consider his stint was pretty much spent defending and with the team a man down it was always going to be difficult for him.

He is a solid interchange forward so no idea why Kearney chose him over Sao to start

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
He should not have been starting.

If you consider his stint was pretty much spent defending and with the team a man down it was always going to be difficult for him.

He is a solid interchange forward so no idea why Kearney chose him over Sao to start
could be he was there just to suck up the damage. Another big body to absorb impact for the first 20 minutes and to be replaced by a more energetic player when the raiders start to fade.

Reactions: 2 users

WarriorBall

Whatever the idea was I don’t believe it worked out like they’d planned, the decision to start Paasi at lock was a late call and it didn’t seem as though he handled it too well, as someone else mentioned all that early defence really took the sting out of his carry’s.

I’ve always thought of Paasi as that explosive middle forward you want to inject into a game against a tiring opposition not just because of his strong carries but because of the second phase he’s able to create through his offloading and short passing game so I don’t understand why you’d start him when Sao has the bigger motor and is a better defender but has the softer carry.

In retrospect Paasi’s solitary stint was probably always the plan with Tevaga taking his extra minutes to bring energy to the middle of the park to contain the Raiders ruck speed created through Leilua & Rapana’s sniping runs out of dummy half so I take my hat off to SK and the coaching staff because that worked to a degree. Though he did stifle out attack it must be said.

Long story short I believe they got Paasi & Sao the wrong way round not that I’m complaining, after all we won the game but I’m interested to see how it shapes up this week, will they persist with Paasi starting at Lock or was it purely about a specific game plan to combat the Raiders big pack and their roll on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

Tevaga's stint was definitely planned I think to free up interchanges I reckon. Paasi off for Tevaga means only 1 change, leaving 7 which gets the other three on for one spell then off again. Final change spent on picking the best of the 4 bench players to bring back on at the death.

Last edited:
Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

Paasi was forced into attempting 20 tackles (of which he made 17, missed 3) in 19 minutes, that is an obscene amount of work for a guy carrying 110kgs+.

As others have said, surely that was not the plan. He will likely get another run in any event given Lisone's suspension. I would be surprised if it is not the same team listed as last game with Vete in for Lisone and Sao back starting.

Reactions: 3 users
Sup42

Sup42

Paasi was forced into attempting 20 tackles (of which he made 17, missed 3) in 19 minutes, that is an obscene amount of work for a guy carrying 110kgs+.

As others have said, surely that was not the plan. He will likely get another run in any event given Lisone's suspension. I would be surprised if it is not the same team listed as last game with Vete in for Lisone and Sao back starting.
Thanks for posting those Stats.
That means Paasi was involved in half of the total tackles made by that side during his time on field.
That's a pretty hard return to firsts and a more than reasonable effort.

WarriorBall

I believe they’re gearing Satae up for a run in first grade, he played 72 minutes in ISP last week so I won’t be shocked if I see his name inside the 17.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.