Pick Your Team Pick Your Team 2018 Rnd 4 - Roosters vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admittedly it was at Mt Smart, but I think it was Ashley Klein who made a gutsy - and right call - to hand us the win right on fulltime last year against the Roosters.
True, but while I agree that Klein made the correct call then, wasn't it Klein who awarded that shocker of a penalty to the Broncs in last weekends game v the Tigers? That kind of unpredictability scares the shit out of me.

Wait...don't tell me Klein is reffing our game :nailbiting:

It's going to be a very tough one. The Rorters have seamlessly played themselves into some form if the Knights game is anything to go by. Keary and Cronk are finally looking like they are clicking into gear. Their sweeping attack looks really solid, as well as their defence.

We have started the season well but I think that this weekend is where our streak ends unfortunately. The Rorters will have too much class. I have a feeling we're going to get pinged all day by the refs and be on the receiving end of a lop sided penalty count.

All I ask is that the guys continue to put in 100% effort and play with heart for the full 80. If we can do that, I'll be happy regardless of the result.

Lets gone Warriors!
you're right...we are good enough to win every game we go into with our full strength / close enough to....line up.

It is interesting when you look at both teams stats to date.

1st thing that stands out is that the Warriors Stats reflect their top four status.

The Roosters defence pips ours....however they have not played two games with twelve men.
Thereafter we are pretty close across most categories.
We've got up the Rooters a few times so hopefully again.
This will be the test of the team for sure.

But I'd love to see an improvement in the gameplan for this one. The Plan against the Raiders was shockingly bad or we did a 180° away from it.
I'd start soft and not test the refs at all, let the Rooters draw the early penalties.
Keep the ball in play, and run them ragged. No bombs to the wings for them to counter attack just repeat grubbers that if anything, are too short. Make them go 90m+ on EVERY set.

Let's see how much heart they have.
You basically just outlined the fashion that we beat the Roosters in recent years....which underlines all more why I agree with easing off a bit on rubbing the Refs noses in it.

This game interests me as much from the POV of playing styles.

We are copying these guys with our intentional giving away of penalties.

In theory they should be more practised at it.

They are an excellent defensive side ( cheating will ensure an unfair advantage, ensuring the best tacklers who outrageously are also offensive players...stacked with Rep footballers).

Our defence is excellent.

The Rorters have always had a highly organized forward pack and if you concentrate too heavily on say an SBW or a Cordiner you end up being undone by one of their lesser forwards ( WOT a joke) Sam Moa for example...or a Frank Paul.

Luckily their current squad has flaunted the Cap in the backline more so than Rooster packs of years past.

If the Warrior boys play top shelf up front...it will be the Roosters getting caught out by lesser forwards like Bunty...Lisone....Pulu....and Sao.

Pity Papalii wasn't part of that mix too.

Basically we have seen how both teams want to play...the Roosters cash in on any half chance....the Warriors out run you and keep you guessing.

Last edited:
Another thing is that if the refs have shown their hand so far through the first 3 rounds then they will;

Be strict on us in the tackle
Be only too happy to give someone 10mins in the bin
Be strict on our 10 metres
Keep an eagle eye on Blair with prejudice

It's our job to be disciplined in all of those areas so we don't have to do as much tackling. But it sure is good knowing that our fitness and commitment has improved out of sight this season.

It's so good to not have hollow hype with underachievement.

The whole team seem dialed in.

Bring on the Kentucky Fried Roosters.

Reactions: Off The Bench
The Rorters might have looked good last game but they were playing the knights
Who wouldn't look good ?
They will come into this game over confident and fail .
JWH won't be able to keep up with our forwards speed
An Blair will keep their halves under pressure .
We are going to turn up wary but with confidence .
An its just a process of elimination for us
Victory victory an more victory

Paasi played 19 minutes and looked to be playing hurt. I wouldn't be picking him unless 100% fit.

Paasi looked short of a Gallop aye
Kearney will need to manage his minutes off the bench
Listening to Jarrod Crocker being interviewed at half time he was really blowing hard
I also noticed Josh Papalii after the match (when teams were shaking hands) blowing really hard as well
Hoping same applies vs the Roosters this weekend
A win against them will have the Aussies sit up and take notice for sure.
Welcome back Mannering hope you've been keeping yourself active mate

NRL Injury Report

Former skipper Simon Mannering is expected to return from a shoulder injury as the Warriors look to secure four wins in a row to start a season for the first time in club history.

Gerard Beale (leg, round 8)
Isaiah Papali'i (knee, round 8)
Nathaniel Roache (neck, season)
Simon Mannering (shoulder, round 4)

Losing Lisone means we lose 50 % of our best leg speed off our bench forward Rotation, it is a significant loss ( Bunty is still there so not all's lost).

For that reason it is a real shame that Lawton isn't fit....he could offset some of the loss of our Process ( you could substitute that word for speed and endurance).

If Paasi were fully fit there would be no worries, he is fast like Moimoi was for a tank.

Papalii is another that could have offset Lisones loss....purely on a Leg speed basis.

None of these guys are quite the same though....Lisone V.2 is quick and direct....make that very quick.

Add to the equation us missing Roach....more forward speed.

Imagine if Beale were fit and Kearney Rolled Ken off the bench as a direct speed swap for Lisone....Some one call a Tow truck it's gonna be a bad one....

People's solutions to Lisones speed ???

Reactions: leaguejunkie
Lucky they
Losing Lisone means we lose 50 % of our best leg speed off our bench forward Rotation, it is a significant loss ( Bunty is still there so not all's lost).

For that reason it is a real shame that Lawton isn't fit....he could offset some of the loss of our Process ( you could substitute that word for speed and endurance).

If Paasi were fully fit there would be no worries, he is fast like Moimoi was for a tank.

Papalii is another that could have offset Lisones loss....purely on a Leg speed basis.

None of these guys are quite the same though....Lisone V.2 is quick and direct....make that very quick.

Add to the equation us missing Roach....more forward speed.

Imagine if Beale were fit and Kearney Rolled Ken off the bench as a direct speed swap for Lisone....Some one call a Tow truck it's gonna be a bad one....

People's solutions to Lisones speed ???

11 Mannering
12 Harris
13 Sao

14 Jazz
15 Pulu (closest leg speed i can think of from the bench)
16 The Bunty
17 Vete if he's ready

Wait and see what SK has up his sleeve.
Maybe start Jazz and have Ligi on the bench with Pulu Bunty and Vetz.

Status
Not open for further replies.