General Pick Your Team 2016 Rnd 14 - Knights vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look at it this way - if we move Manu to the forwards, does it strengthen or weaken our current squad?

We don't have a player who is currently better than him to replace him on the left wing. Jonno Wright? Please!!!!

Will Manu provide anymore impact than any of our current forwards? No one knows!!!!

Are we prepared to risk a season on an experiment which may fail?

That's the question those who want Manu moved have to consider.

Questions 1 will be answered by question 3 if he's given an opportunity in that position, I can't think Cappy would ever go for it though so it's a moot point really.

If we were further up on the ladder and Manu was really struggling and we had a solid replacement he may wan't to give him a run in NSW Cup and see how he goes but the planets would have to line up for that to happen.

I totally hear what you are saying... but you could argue that Fusitua and Lolohea and even Wright are better options given the balance of our squad...

but I just see defence as our team's massive, MASSIVE issue... And Manu Vatuvei for all his long service and so on is still, after more than a decade of first grade footy, an AWFUL defender on the wing... probably the one area that Wright is better than him, it just so happens to be our biggest problem area.
Fusitua is already on one wing so he's out of the picture. Lolohea is currently covering FB and would most likely be in the halves so he's out of the picture. Wright made a number of defensive errors that let in tries when Manu was out and offers less on attack.

We're trying to make the Top 8 this year and the options you've offered aren't going to take place with the current squad and injuries.

Reactions: Defence
I know the old saying you don't change a winning team but I'd make a slight tweak.

I'd give a couple of players a shot in FG against the Knights mainly Wells or Hingano

I'd drop Gubb and Lisone for Gavet and Sipley. I'd drop Roache back to reserves and put TL to the bench.

All the tries we gave up were weak. Thompson's attempt on Glenn, overplayed Hunt. Kahu's try, typical Manu trying to leave it too late then he gets embarrassed by not pushing the ball dead. That weak attempted tackle on Pangai late in the game by Roache and Lisone is enough for me to drop them. Unforgivable in FG. The score reflected our dominance up until that try.

I actually liked Tommy's game on the weekend, couple of wayward passes but he provided crisp service for Shaun Johnson, gave him time. Tom straightened the attack and chimed in at dummy half a couple of times when Luke was out of position. Did his job well.

The coaches seem reluctant to play Tui in the halves.

With Hingano included won't need to tinker too much.. Not sure if the coaches would be keen to run Ata yet, still a bit raw. Knights would be a good time to run him though.

1.Lolohea 2.Fusitua 3.Ayshford 4.Kata 5.Vatuvei 6.HINGANO 7.Johnson.. TL back to the bench in place of Roache.

Wells included I'd give Tui another shot in the halves, Fusitua back to FB 1.Fusitua 2.Wells 3.Ayshford 4.Kata 5.Vatuvei 6.Tui 7.Johnson

Regardless of these players previous form before this latest win in all honesty I'm not expecting any changes.. keep the flow

Depends if you want to make a GF or not, that team today gets killed at Suncorp after round 19.

If they were gonna move Manu it would have happened earlier in the season. Too late now....

So you honestly wouldn't rate him as a great finisher? (This isn't a dig, it's just interesting hear other people's opinions.)

Surely there's no other definition of "finisher" than "player who scores tries that either he set up or some other player set up". So for me, yes, definitely.

Assister, no...

By our long and distinguished line of quality first grade coaches who's amazing talent has them all still coaching in the NRL....wait...what?
And by a crowd who decided within the same time span that he was one of two of the best wingers in the world .... the same people who picked Johnson as the Golden Boot that year.... so what would they know?

And by a crowd who decided within the same time span that he was one of two of the best wingers in the world .... the same people who picked Johnson as the Golden Boot that year.... so what would they know?
As a as long as he is in the team sort of fulla that has just wanted to see how he would go in the pack, I have now fully accepted he is just too slow for the wing, age catches up to everybody.
IMO he could offer far more to this team in the pack than any current player, far more.

Surely there's no other definition of "finisher" than "player who scores tries that either he set up or some other player set up". So for me, yes, definitely.

Assister, no...
He assisted Witt for one of our most famous tries. Our club legend can do it all - tries, try assists, 100+ metres nearly every game, massive hits on defence, shocking one out errors off our scrum feed, defensive misreads. Just embrace him!!

As a as long as he is in the team sort of fulla that has just wanted to see how he would go in the pack, I have now fully accepted he is just too slow for the wing, age catches up to everybody.
IMO he could offer far more to this team in the pack than any current player, far more.
He's the sort of player who will always polarise opinion - does the negatives in his game outweigh the positives?

I actually think the club was wrong in offering him the length of contract they did. Given his age and the amount of injuries he's had, they should have offered him only a couple of years instead of three years.

Worse than that, there seems to be no succession plan in place. They wouldn't have considered offering Maumalo to the Dragons if they'd thought it was him. Wright? No thanks. They may be thinking about Aoake for the future.

Reactions: OMG

Billy Teets James

1. Fusitua
2. Lolohea...he had a great attacking game at fullback vs the Bronc's, but the right edge is just a weapon both offensively and defensively with the Lolo/Ash combo.
3. Ayshford
4. Kata...classy kid who has obviously worked out going low is his best bet defensively...either he's a smart kid or shock horror he's received some good coaching.
5. Wright...we just need some smart defensive nous on the left to off-set the attacking skill of Kata, basically someone who isn't going to fuck shit up on a consistent basis.
6. TL...he did some nice work against Brisbane, just the type of 6 play that compliments Shaun Johnson nicely.
7. Johnson.
8. Vete
9. Luke
10.Lillyman
11.Thompson
12.Hoffman
13.Mannering

14.Jazz...Roache offered nothing that we need off the bench, he looks small and plays small...you cant have a hooker who's main asset is a side step.
15.Matulino
16.Sipley...Lisone has a good future i think, but he's being caught out defensively far too often, particularly when were defending on our line.
17.Manu...two 15 minute bursts when needed
Wright....Stopped reading after that. Smh.

Ahh yes world cup year, strange decision that naming him international winger of the year as he had a pretty average world cup, no tries in the semifinal or final and the usual defensive blunders...i guess they thought there better be a Kiwi in the team somewhere seeming they won the damn thing, so gave it to mr popularity.

• Haha
Reactions: Miket12
and we continue to miss the 8

It's not just down to Vatuvei why we miss the eight which i'm sure you know, but the club's acceptance of a player and players like him over the years with such serious flaws in their games, the very flaws that cause the Warriors to be the under performing club they always seem to be...terrible defense, unforced errors and poor decision making under pressure...and they wonder why things never change.

Reactions: OMG
I love Leuluai as a hooker he really is a world class rake imo. I just think he is not a half and with Luke here I see him as our no 14. Roache and Tevaga have done nothing wrong and there time will come.
Before the broncos game I wanted Lolohea at 6 but he looked wicked on the weekend so I think give Hingano a game against Newcastle where we should win comfortably if we turn up. Insurance on the bench with Leuluai

Lolohea
Fusitua
Ahyshford
Kata
Vatuvei
Hingano
Johnson
Lillyman
Luke
Vete
Thompson
Hoffman
Mannering

Leuluai
Matulino
Lisone
Lane

Reactions: Woofa and OMG
Ahh yes world cup year, strange decision that naming him international winger of the year as he had a pretty average world cup, no tries in the semifinal or final and the usual defensive blunders...i guess they thought there better be a Kiwi in the team somewhere seeming they won the damn thing, so gave it to mr popularity.
Wrong - 2014 was the Four Nations and in the final against Australia, Manu scored twice - which was seen as one of the reasons he was named Winger of the Year. Please, get your facts right before you post otherwise you can end up looking like a ...............

Last edited:
I would suspect the same team. Also, I think Manu will have a lot of room to run in as opposition Wings will know Kata has glue fingers.

If Ayshford can teach Sol draw and pass this week Manu could have a field day.

Reactions: Xfactor and Miket12
Far out.. Give the Broncos a whipping and some of you still demand more changes and Manu gets the brunt of the criticism again.

Yes he made a couple of errors but him and Kata added so much go forward with their hit-ups in the Warriors defensive end.
Sure he made an error judgement and the Broncos got a opportunist try.. I've seen Inglis, Stewart, Slater and a number more of the best players in the game make the exact same mistake..

Yes there was the token drop ball.. But two errors? And he out? Only one game back!

Go look at his running metres and other stats vs his opposite Kahu.
I'm sure Manu would have had a try or some more Metres if Kata could pass as well.

The same team will be (barring injuries) the same and it should be..

Wrong - 2014 was the Four Nations and in the final against Australia, Manu scored twice - which was seen as one of the reasons he was named Winger of the Year. Please, get your facts right before you post otherwise you can end up looking like a ...............

2014 International winger of the year? NRL winger of the year? who was it that awarded him this award and for what?

I have Manu first pick! and why not pick the same team, at least it would give them a vote of confidence, Effing Oath let's charge towards the 8!!!! Watch videos of Wikis' charge and primal scream when he ran head on into Soliola and knocked him out! the boys are going to fuck some teams up, make Halligan choke on his bullshit expert comments.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 Again
Status
Not open for further replies.