Pick your team for the Broncos match (17 selections)

• Tuimoala Lolohea

• Manu Vatuvei - Wing

• Jonathan Wright

• Matt Allwood

• David Fusitua

• Ken Maumalo

• Solomone Kata

• Blake Ayshford

• Konrad Hurrell

• Shaun Johnson

• Jeff Robson

• Thomas Leuluai

• Ben Matulino

• Jacob Lillyman

• Sam Lisone

• James Gavet

• Albert Vete

• Charlie Gubb

• Issac Luke

• Jazz Tevega

• Ryan Hoffman

• Simon Mannering

• Shaun Lane

• Toafofoa Sipley

• John Palavi

• Upu Poching

• Bodene Thompson

• Manu Vatuvei - Forwards

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think for us to have viable nrl pack we need
Gavet gain extra 5 kgs
Gubb gain extra 5 kgs
Mutts gain extra 2 kgs
other wise we are too small to be competitive and have been for a while now

Why are the Ayshford fans so sensitive? It's not like you are trying to back up a bloke with 148 NRL tries plus a further 22 test tries or something. Ayshford was also poo against the Broncos and quite frankly hasn't played anywhere near the hype that some of the self appointed experts on here try to suggest (or was that just playing devils advocate).

Anyway I was only really saying it in jest - although if media reports are to be believed then it does appear that he might be dropped for what was a shocking game.

I like what Ayshford has brought to that edge this year. But completely agree he had a shoddy shit rubbish game against the Raiders.

That being said - is one bad game worthy of being dropped? Hoffman has had how many bad games this year, and no mention of him being dropped, Mannering played worse than Ayshford (especially in the first 40) - can't see him being dropped, Manu/Kata have had worse games before and not been dropped...

I'm not defending Ayshford here btw, I'm simply stating that if he's dropped for a bad game - it's showing major inconsistencies from a coach trying to save his job when he hasn't dropped his favourite pets in times gone by for bad performances.

Conversely - if Ayshford is dropped - who comes in? And that's a scary thought in itself.

I will play devil's advocate here though - being dropped against the Broncos probably isn't a bad thing. At least you can't be blamed for the potential cricket score...

And honestly, if they were to drop everyone who played badly on Saturday - there wouldn't be many of the 17 left on the park...

All I know is, I'm about 3 games away from switching off for the rest of the season. I found it amusing that they've given McFadden 15 more rounds to make the 8 before he gets sacked. By my calculations, we'll probably need to win 8 (if not 9) of our last 13 games to get there. So when we lose 8-10 of the last 15, and get smashed in 2-3 of those games... how many fans will they have for next season? how many members won't renew? The fans on this site are some of the hardiest, most loyal to the side. And for so many of us to be so disillusioned... Speaks major volumes.

Maybe we should start a new thread... At this stage of the season, how many of you would consider being members for 2017...

Reactions: 5 users

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Can anyone explain why A BYE WEEK is the time to announce you’ll be dropping star players?

You can spend the week training with Hingano in the first team if that’s what this is, and drop Johnson on team naming Tuesday.

No need to announce / leak / whatever to that woman basher that heads will roll.

Reeks of arse covering, and while Johnson’s general kicking was dreadful, he’s hardly the only one not up to it.

Generally try to defend cappy in the face of this band of coach killers, but he’s got to be part of coming clean out.

Axing shouldn’t be based on who played bad (which was about 14 of the 17) but to give a chance to someone who deserves it

And who is that?
  • Solomone Kata will come back in
  • Ata Hingano – why not
  • Ken Maumalo – I’d be very surprised if he becomes a decent NRL winger, but his reserve grade efforts deserve a chance….
There’s a whole batch of forwards who might get a go, but they’ve already had chances this year.
Got to see if Lane is worth perservering with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I like what Ayshford has brought to that edge this year. But completely agree he had a shoddy shit rubbish game against the Raiders.

That being said - is one bad game worthy of being dropped? Hoffman has had how many bad games this year, and no mention of him being dropped, Mannering played worse than Ayshford (especially in the first 40) - can't see him being dropped, Manu/Kata have had worse games before and not been dropped...

I'm not defending Ayshford here btw, I'm simply stating that if he's dropped for a bad game - it's showing major inconsistencies from a coach trying to save his job when he hasn't dropped his favourite pets in times gone by for bad performances.

Conversely - if Ayshford is dropped - who comes in? And that's a scary thought in itself.

I will play devil's advocate here though - being dropped against the Broncos probably isn't a bad thing. At least you can't be blamed for the potential cricket score...

And honestly, if they were to drop everyone who played badly on Saturday - there wouldn't be many of the 17 left on the park...

All I know is, I'm about 3 games away from switching off for the rest of the season. I found it amusing that they've given McFadden 15 more rounds to make the 8 before he gets sacked. By my calculations, we'll probably need to win 8 (if not 9) of our last 13 games to get there. So when we lose 8-10 of the last 15, and get smashed in 2-3 of those games... how many fans will they have for next season? how many members won't renew? The fans on this site are some of the hardiest, most loyal to the side. And for so many of us to be so disillusioned... Speaks major volumes.

Maybe we should start a new thread... At this stage of the season, how many of you would consider being members for 2017...
Yeah look I completely agree - as I said, my comment about Ayshford and Tevage was more in jest (although I consider both to be pretty average). It's arse covering for sure from McFadden. Also if he's putting Hoffman on a pedestal then surely that's final confirmation that he has no idea. Seriously imagine if you are Matulino, a bloke who almost single handily carried our forward pack in 2012 - you have to listen to a complete tool of a captain and a clueless coach. In the real world you would have checked out and started looking for a different job.

Reactions: 2 users
. Seriously imagine if you are Matulino, a bloke who almost single handily carried our forward pack in 2012

And arguably 2015...

But yeah, I knew your comment wasn't 100% serious. And in an ideal world, neither Ayshford nor Tevaga would be playing in the top 17 (can I also add Leuluai, Wright, Allwood to that list too). Unfortunately, Ayshford and Tevaga have been two of our best performers this season. Not setting the world on fire with either of them (although I do note that Ayshford is second equal in tries scored with Johnson), but when solid, reliable, average performers who don't set the world on fire are among the most consistent; in a team whose rosters contains Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Lolohea, Manu, Shaun Johnson, Luke, Matulino... Then we have some serious issues.

Reactions: 1 users
The timing of the bye should be treated as an opportunity for Warriors selection. I'd like to see the coaches implement a "Warriors trial" this coming weekend as the first grade and reserve grade both have the bye.

It should be an opportunity for young players like Hingano, Lino, Lane, Sipley, Wells, Maumalo, Vete etc to stake a claim on a Warriors jersey for the upcoming match against the Broncos who will have to travel to Mt Smart where it's likely 7 players will have to back up after origin with only a couple of days rest in between.

The coaches cry is that were lacking in intent, a trial would show who want's the jersey the most. It'd also give McFadden the opportunity to rotate his players through different positions i.e pairing different halves combinations, trialing different fullbacks etc. Hell even throw Manu in at Prop.

A Warriors trial would also target the more established players who believe they're safe in first grade to come face to face with the reality of not only losing their positions but also their contracts. You can relay that message to them in meeting but a trial is something tangible and would show the intent by the coaching staff.

Some players won't be selected anyway such was their performance against the Raiders, those players I'd leave out of the trial altogether that way your still sending a strong message.

Reactions: 3 users
The truth is, we can bring in whoever the fuck we want and it isn't going to change a thing.
We might get 1 or 2 wins but as we have seen with Rookies, it's very few that can play consistent footy.
I look at our squad and I don't see anything that can change the outcome of many games.
The only real option would be to bulk up our pack with bigger bodies yet for that to occur, we would need to sit down or move Hoffman, Mannering or Thompson.

I think the real problem with this team is that the coach and management over a few years now have put way too much focus on 80minute back rowers thinking that this would give us the edge when the interchange rule was changed.
It hasn't. Look at the table and you will see that teams with huge go forward are all at the top.
We took a gamble and failed to see that less interchanges make high impact forwards way more valuable.
We missed the boat and now we don't have the weapons available.
Chuck in Cappies use of a 3 man bench and we are fucked.

Time to get some spark into this side. Sick of this also-ran, journeymen, play it safe bullshit. It isnt working in any shape or form.
Fusitua to FB, Lolo to the halves, Maumalo replaces Wright. I would even be tempted to play Hurrell. Sipley on the bench and actually given some minutes. Gavet to get the anger back. Mutts on last chance, for gods sake fire up.

1) Fusitua
2) Maumalo
3) Ayshford (because Kata likes him)
4) Kata
5) Wells
6) Lolo
7) Shauny J
8) Lillyman (still tried with a busted head)
9) Jazz (Bully needs to be on B team until he can play hard for 80 minutes)
10) Gavet
11) Bodene
12) Hoffman
13) Manners (he gets put down to B team if he makes more than 1 error)
Bench
Lisone
Vete (give him a chance now)
Gubb
Lino

If i was the broncos id kick the warriors while they are down heap more misery on them.No way can i see them lose to the warriors.
Just play with the same team.There wont be any big changes leave Ata Wells in reserve grade they have confidence at the momment

I change my mind everytime I come in and read other posts but I reckon matulino has to go to the second row, he isn't a prop and we need a ball player or offloader back there alongside 2 of mannering/Hoffman/bodene.

Then get some props that run hard and straight from any grade.

Then if we are keeping Shaun Johnson on then for the next two weeks they should be training everyone to run off him. He has been crap lately but the lack of options and dummy runners isn't helping. When they aren't doing that he can work on his kicking game. Lino might not be a bad option to partner him, he has a kicking game and more experience that Ata (or feels that way anyway).

Anyway I will keep reading and come back with a new idea soon, or possibly an old one that I call my own.

1) Fusitua - speed + power, push up and sniff around for an offload on every play
2) Tui - speed + elusiveness
3) Ayshford - feed Tui and take down your man, trust your inside defender
4) Kata - arguably our best player so far this season
5) Wells - speed
6) Hingano - a true number 6, moreso than Tui
7) Shaun Johnson - touch the ball a minimum of 3 tackles per set. Run to the line with options left and right. Kill this out the back play bullshit as our only play. Get Fusitua, Wells and Tui on your shoulder and find gaps though the middle of the ruck.
8) Lillyman - run hard, quick to ground and quick play the balls
9) Luke - run more
10) Sipley - big unit, runs hard, he is our future
11) Matulino - run hard on the edges, get your arm free and pop passes to support runners in Fusitua, Tui, Wells and Shaun Johnson
12) Hoffman - same goes for Hoff, look for offloads with support runners on your shoulder
13) Thompson - business as usual, one of our best this season

14) Roache - need some X factor, provides this more than Jazz who is tough, but not a game winner
15) Vete - fire up son
16) Lisone - consistent aggression though the entire game please but also utilise your ball playing ability with flat balls to support runners hitting the line like James Maloney used to to off Mateo.
17) Gavet - run hard, has fallen into the hop, skip, jump routine of the others. Fire up!

Overall, lets just play a bit more unstructured, show some aggression, hit with intent and put the fear of god into the opposition. Win every tackle, dominate every set of 6. Look for more offloads, support the ball runner, look for some chip and chase opportunities or short grubbers through the line with support runners who know what's going on.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I like the improvements Sir Graham has brought......
He probably came in for a training day, thought shite, this clubs is more deeper doo doo than i thought and got the hell out as quick as he could...............

upload_2016-5-23_19-19-35.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
1 Fusitua
2 Kata
3 Ayshford
4 Lolohea
5 Allwood
6 Hingano
7 Johnson
8 Hoffman
9 Luke
10 Mannering
11 Matulino
12 Thompson
13 Lisone

14 Gavet
15 Lane
16 Sao
17 Sipley

I reckon Kata is better suited to wing.
Allwood has generally played well when on the wing.
Hoffman just tucks the ball up and runs forward, he is the Kata of the forwards.
He does run hard and the best place for him is prop.
I would play Mannering there too.
Matulino will be more dangerous wide of the ruck running at Milford and Hunt.
Lisone has always been a 13 to me.
We don't need the luxury of a hooker on the bench.
Our bench looks outstanding.
Sipley the best prop prospect the Warriors have had for ages.
Lane and Sao quality perfomers last year and potential top line NRL players for many years.
Gavet, runs hard and hits hard.

Reactions: 1 user
1 Fusitua
2 Kata
3 Ayshford
4 Lolohea
5 Allwood
6 Hingano
7 Johnson
8 Hoffman
9 Luke
10 Mannering
11 Matulino
12 Thompson
13 Lisone

14 Gavet
15 Lane
16 Sao
17 Sipley

I reckon Kata is better suited to wing.
Allwood has generally played well when on the wing.
Hoffman just tucks the ball up and runs forward, he is the Kata of the forwards.
He does run hard and the best place for him is prop.
I would play Mannering there too.
Matulino will be more dangerous wide of the ruck running at Milford and Hunt.
Lisone has always been a 13 to me.
We don't need the luxury of a hooker on the bench.
Our bench looks outstanding.
Sipley the best prop prospect the Warriors have had for ages.
Lane and Sao quality performers last year and potential top line NRL players for many years.
Gavet, runs hard and hits hard.

BTW I am not insane and this team is not a piss take.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Fuck it.

Fusitua
Lolohea
Ayshford
Kata
Wells
Robson
Johnson
Sipley
Luke
Lillyman
Hoffman
Thompson
Mannering

Manu
Gavet
Mutts
Jazz

Players to stop being so fucken selfish, and Cappy to inspire them to all feel the same way on game day.

We could win the comp with that talent, if they can only get their heads right...

Status
Not open for further replies.