General Pick Your Team 2016 Rnd 11 - Raiders vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defence

Defence

Technically Morgs was in his 4th season when moved to FB and Canberra had a number of injuries so they had to play Milf where they could.
We have seen it over and over again with class players at other clubs, they will drop them in it at 18, 19 no matter what the position. We drop our U20s back from Reserve grades for finals others drop them back from top grade.
We have been the polar opposite of pretty much every other club that has the quality.
We stopped playing 18 and 19 yr olds when Ivan was here, coincidencidentally our development has sucked.
If your good enough your good enough age isn't a factor once you hit 18.

It's not an age thing- it's an experience thing.
Tui has played almost 50 first grade games and tasted international footy.
Atas a very exciting talent but it's a big step up to first grade.
Ask your mate Harry seika....;)
I'm not saying ata would flop- maybe he would hit the ground running- buy it would be a big (and IMO unnecessary ) risk. Tui is a safer option and next in line.

Reactions: 1 users
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Whatever happened to our previous promising half imports (Siejka, Foran Snr etc?)

We all know about Chad and Maloney, and Moon is playing centre in the ESL but what about the guys we brought over who were going to be the next big thing?

Jay M

Jay M

It's not an age thing- it's an experience thing.
Tui has played almost 50 first grade games and tasted international footy.
Atas a very exciting talent but it's a big step up to first grade.
Ask your mate Harry seika....;)
I'm not saying ata would flop- maybe he would hit the ground running- buy it would be a big (and IMO unnecessary ) risk. Tui is a safer option and next in line.

I really like what I've seen from Hingano so far. He seems to have time, composure and football IQ.

BUT, I don't want to see him in top grade yet. If you're going to blood him, do it slowly as a utility off the bench for 15-20 mins a game and see how he goes. (i.e. how the Broncos did it with the Nikorima brothers).

I think he still has a lot to learn and can improve his game in NSW Cup before needing to pressure him with the NRL. Much like Nathan Cleary is doing at the Panthers (another young half who has talent).

Hingano has all the skills, we've seen it in the U20s, we've seen it in reserve grade, we've seen it in the Junior Kiwis vs Junior Kangaroos game. NRL is tough though, and I wouldn't want him starting there yet. He might be a sensation, but he might also have his confidence shredded.

To blood him, I'd be looking at the following: Luke to start at hooker, Leuluai at five eighth. When Luke needs a break (ideally around the 50-55 minute mark depending on Luke's fitness), Leuluai spells him at hooker, with Hingano coming onto the field in a running/roving five eighth role. And see how he goes against a tired opposition side for 10-15 minutes. If he's playing well - Luke can come back on for Leuluai for the last 10-15.

The other thing to consider here, may well be what's holding Wells out of the side right now. The second tier cap is probably quite close to the edge.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

Xfactor

We stopped playing 18 and 19 yr olds when Ivan was here, coincidencidentally our development has sucked.
If your good enough your good enough age isn't a factor once you hit 18.
In any other club I would absolutely agree.
What worries me with OUR club is the steaming pile of puss these boys are being dropped in to!
They are being made to carry the hopes and dreams and deep-seeded frustrations of us long-suffering fans.
They're predominantly coming from teams with a decent winning average who are not under anywhere near as much scrutiny as the 1st grade, and being dropped into the cauldron of despair! This can't actually be good for their development imo.
They revel at the chance to finally perform on the big stage and pledge to spill their blood all over the park to prove their worth to us sometimes over-expectant fans.
Then, after loss after loss after heart-breaking loss..(usually at the hands of their much more experienced and FAR more expensive team-mates)..the reality sets in!
The dream becomes a nightmare.
How many times have we seen it? Jazz Tevaga is the next in line to need the services of the team psychiatrist.
I would imagine that when Cappy attends the lower grades training to scout an injury replacement for the 1st grade team the boys be dropping balls everywhere and tripping over their own bootlaces in an effort to appear worse than the player they are going to replace.
Until such a time as they A; They figure out what the everloving fuck is wrong with this team, or B; Hire a hard-ass proven coach because of A, or C; String together 5 or 6 successive wins.....I wouldn't wish the 1st Grade curse on any of our young hopefuls.
But I do, in principle, agree with your post OMG.

Blain

Blain

Allwood in for Kata, Lane/Sao/Vete/Lisone in on the bench. Would love to make massive changes and that, but we need to have the same group together if we're ever going to become a decent side.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Whatever happened to our previous promising half imports (Siejka, Foran Snr etc?)

We all know about Chad and Maloney, and Moon is playing centre in the ESL but what about the guys we brought over who were going to be the next big thing?

Harry Sjeika is training with Mounties at the gym I go to (and then I consume adequate alcoholic beverages to make up for the gym nonsense). I think they were brought in more in hope of getting a quality standoff at a low price - they wouldn't have been on much and both had great junior pedigree. But their careers went nowhere in first grade, at the Warriors or elsewhere.

Joel I thought did quite a decent job for us at centre. I think he was undervalued, same as I think the likes of Jeremy Latimore were undervalued. Solid competitOrs who did their jobs.

Reactions: 1 user

Billy Teets James

I wouldn't have Hurrell in the team. Nothing to do with being a dickhead but he has been shit in every reserve game I've seen this season.
Hes Been alright in the *2* games shown on foxtel this year.
And it's round 11. Lucky its my team and not yours I'm picking! Lol.

Billy Teets James

I wouldn't have Hurrell in the team. Nothing to do with being a dickhead but he has been shit in every reserve game I've seen this season.
This team is out of frustration. Just want to see something different. And Ayshford deserves his spot anyway.

1995Warriorsfan

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
As expected Kata has taken an early guilty plea and is out for Saturday's game.

Fazz

Fazz

Joel I thought did quite a decent job for us at centre. I think he was undervalued, same as I think the likes of Jeremy Latimore were undervalued. Solid competitOrs who did their jobs.

I think Joel was more than solid tbh. He was a good defender and had decent attacking chops. Probably a bit of an upgrade on Ayshford (who has been good for us) imo. Wish we'd kept him.

Jay M

Jay M

I think Joel was more than solid tbh. He was a good defender and had decent attacking chops. Probably a bit of an upgrade on Ayshford (who has been good for us) imo. Wish we'd kept him.

He was young too. He would have got a lot better.

He wasn't a five eighth (IMO), but we should have kept him.

Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

and he had a much bigger boot than Johnson, something we never saw much of when he went into the centres.

Defence

Defence

He was young too. He would have got a lot better.

He wasn't a five eighth (IMO), but we should have kept him.

Yeah I was stoked when we got moon.
Ended up at center but when he was ata's age he was tearing the Qld cup up at 5/8.
That doesn't always translate to first grade tho. Patience is key.

way2sharp

way2sharp

Kata is out so Lolo to centre.
Fusitua to FB.
Wright to wing - not my choice, but he is definitely Cappys next cab of the block.
Manu back - Wright as above.
Dewey back - Pavali gone.
Luke starts - Roache on bench, Jazz gone.
Lane on bench - Gubb gone.
Rest as per.

Blain

Blain

I'm pretty sure we paid pretty hefty coin for Moon at the time, he was a very promising player and had a couple decent seasons at the Broncos under his belt already.

I'm sure we would have wanted to keep him, but not at the $$ we originally paid for him. Was a dangerous player at his best, but a bit hot and cold.

ryno

ryno

YOUR TEAM | v Canberra Raiders

Issac Luke returns to the starting hooker’s role for his Taranaki homecoming while loose forward Simon Mannering comes back from a two-match injury absence for the Vodafone Warriors’ historic 11th-round home clash against Canberra at Yarrow Stadium in New Plymouth on Saturday (7.30pm kick-off; match day sponsor: Vodafone).

Hawera-born-and-raised Luke was on the bench against St George Illawarra and Penrith but now reclaims the #9 jersey as the Vodafone Warriors take the NRL to his province for the first time.

The 29-year-old Mannering missed the last two matches after receiving an ugly facial wound in the eighth-round match against Melbourne on Anzac Day.

Named at prop is Ben Matulino – he was used from the bench last week – ensuring the Vodafone Warriors are in line to use their most-experienced starting pack for the first time this season.

Suspension has forced a significant change in the backline with centre Solomone Kata sidelined for one game after taking an early guilty plea on a dangerous contact charge.

For Kata, the side’s top try-scorer this season with eight in 10 appearances, it stops a run of 34 consecutive games since his NRL debut in the opening round last year.

His absence results in the well-performed Matt Allwood being called in to face his former club. He was brought into the side for the last two games after consistently impressive displays for the Vodafone Warriors’ Intrust Super Premiership side.

“Like Solomone, the telling factor is that Matt is a preferred left side player,” said assistant coach Justin Morgan.

“He’s really comfortable on that side of the field and he'll be working with a good defensive edge as well with Ryan (Hoffman) and Tommy (Thomas Leuluai).

“It’s a huge game for Issac playing in his home province. He got back some form at the weekend, his defence was more consistent and he had a few runs from dummy half, which is what we need him to do. He'll be keen to cement his starting spot in the side.

“Having Simon back in the side is a massive boost. We've missed him a bit. He does a lot of work in and around the ruck and his leadership is excellent as well.”

While he’s back training, veteran wing Manu Vatuvei isn’t yet ready to play again after being on medical leave recently.

An extended bench of five players has again been named with hooker-back rower Jazz Tevaga joined by John Palavi and James Gavet while props Sam Lisone and Toafofoa Sipley have been promoted after putting in strong showings for the ISP side in its 32-16 win over Penrith last Saturday.

The Vodafone Warriors go into the contest with a win-loss-win-loss-win-loss sequence in their last six matches while the Raiders have lost four of their last five, the win a 60-6 result against Wests Tigers.

In 34 matches since 1995 the Vodafone Warriors and Canberra are dead even with 17 wins each but the Vodafone Warriors have won each of the last five matches.

Yarrow Stadium becomes the Vodafone Warriors’ third ‘home’ ground away from Mount Smart Stadium after Eden Park and Westpac Stadium.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v CANBERRA RAIDERS

Yarrow Stadium, New Plymouth

7.30pm, Saturday, May 21

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 TUIMOALA LOLOHEA

2 JONATHAN WRIGHT

3 BLAKE AYSHFORD

4 MATTHEW ALLWOOD

5 DAVID Fusitua

6 THOMAS LEULUAI

7 SHAUN JOHNSON

8 JACOB LILLYMAN

9 ISSAC LUKE

10 BEN MATULINO

11 BODENE THOMPSON

12 RYAN HOFFMAN (c)

13 SIMON MANNERING

Interchange:

14 JAZZ TEVAGA

15 SAM LISONE

16 JOHN PALAVI

17 JAMES GAVET

18 TOAFOFOA SIPLEY

HEAD COACH | ANDREW McFADDEN

Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

Definition of Insanity = Doing the same thing again and expecting a different result.

Status
Not open for further replies.