15. Sipley
16. Vete
17. Lane

Reactions: 1 users

JoeyJohns

Fusitua
Allwood/Wells
Ayshford
Kata/Allwood (depending on Kata's availability)
Manu/Wright (depending on Manu's availability)
Lolohea
Shaun Johnson
Gavet
Leuluai
Lisone
Thompson
Hoffman
Mannering

Luke
Matulino
Sipley
Lillyman

Fusitua deserves another shot at fullback.
Allwood deserves more game time.
Wright has done nothing wrong, but with our pack not performing, we need Manu's hitups (I hate to say that).
Lolohea to help Shaun Johnson spark the side from the halves.
Lisone's aggression to be channelled from the start. Pairing his aggression with Gavet's could work and fire up the pack from the start. To be spelled by Sipley and Bull.
Matulino on the bench to come on in the second row. Yes, we have 3 80 minute second rowers. But I'd love to see how we play with Hoffman, Mannering, Thompson and Matulino in the second row for 50-65 minutes each. I think we'd get more out of them if 2-3 of them had a rest each game.
Leuluai to add some direct front on sting in defence at the start of the game. Luke to come on after 25-30 minutes.

Unlucky for Jazz who has shown a tonne of heart. He'd get Leuluai's spot if Leuluai wasn't well, Leuluai... (or if he was injured again).

Best team list by far. You've shored up all the deficiencies with good explanations that's except for Wright. Wingers need pace or the ability to run over people. Wright has never. Lastweeks try was just poor technique from his opposite but he's squandered many opportunities. A fine player but not a 'true' winger. Maybe bracket in Wells again.

MrWarrior203

1. David Fusitua
2. Jonathan Wright
3. Blake Ayshford
4. Matthew Allwood
5. Ken Maumalo
6. Tuimoala Lolohea
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jacob Lillyman
9. Issac Luke
10. Ben Matulino
11. Bodene Thompson
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Simon Mannering

14. Jazz Tevaga
15. Albert Vete
16. Sam Lisone
17. Charlie Gubb

18. Shaun Lane

Reactions: 1 user
OMG

OMG

Actually morgan and Milford both spent a couple of years at fullback before moving into the halves.
See that's the way I feel about lolohea- they need to give him his shot- he's done his apprentiship he's good to go.
No need to rush ata.

Nah bro, Morgan debuted against the Roosters 2010 and tore them to shreds in the halves, MOM on the night and Milford debuted 2013 in the halves off the bench and then moved to the 1 his next game.

Edit: just seen Milf stayed on the bench for a while/

Last edited:

Alexradisich

Sam Tomkins greatest talent was completely wasted at fullback, and in my humble opinion, so is Loloheas.
Sam, like Tui, was a sharp thinking stepper with wicked acceleration who could have made a huge difference if he had played inside Johnson.
If you want to see Tui in his element, re-watch the match winning try he set up against the Roosters. With brutal acceleration and a perfect sense of when and where to step, he turned the Roosters inside out to send Roger Tuivasa-Sheck over the line. This is what Tui does and he does it brilliantly..as good as if not better than Johnson.
He can't do this from fullback nor from the wing as the last player to receive the ball if it doesn't get dropped before it gets to him!
In the last two games Fusitua played fullback (Dragons and Tonga) he showed enough to excite me and he has much more chance of breaking the line than Tui imo.
Tommys time is up! Thanks for the great service crazy-eyes but the modern game has moved on from you. We all know Cappy is going to reinsert Vatuvei as soon as he is ready so it's pointless omitting him from your preferred team, or positioning him elsewhere.
Picture this; 2 insanely fast, ridiculously wicked side-steppers fragmenting defensive lines on every attacking raid. Almost every time Shaun shapes to run he collapses the oppositions structured defensive plays. They have NO FUCKEN IDEA where he is going to run and it's a weapon we don't use often enough. Imagine having 2 of him!
It may not be textbook footy...but the Warriors are not a textbook team!
Clearly we have defensive issues but our current attacking structures are both impotent and glaringly predictable.
Fragment the defense, turn them around, support the ball runner....and watch the points come!
As our defense appears to be unfixable...scoring ALOT more points is our only hope.
As for team selection (just to stay on topic) all I want to see is
1-Fusitua
6-Lolohea
7-Johnson
9-Luke with Jazz to spell him 15-20 minutes either side of half-time.
and the 3 fittest strongest forwards we have on the bench.

This is by far the most sensible post i have read in a while. Iv said it once and I will say it again, the acceleration and pace I witnessed in attack when Lolohea was in the 6 Jersey for the 15 minutes he played was something I havnt seen in the warriors in a long long long time!!
This acceleration/pace also forces Johnson to carry a lot more speed when receiving the ball, in which I think is where his is most dangerous. It has a domino effect through the whole attack

Reactions: 2 users
jonno

jonno

I am not sure what Gubb does to inspire so much love around here - he makes about 20m a game and misses three of his six tackles (albeit in spectacular fashion.)
If you're going to support a team that belongs at the bottom of the table you might as well fill it up with interesting characters...

Helps to pass the time.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

6 Again

I am not sure what Gubb does to inspire so much love around here - he makes about 20m a game and misses three of his six tackles (albeit in spectacular fashion.)

He's an internet sensation - apparently that's more important than his ability as a paid rugby league professional.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Billy Teets James

Gavet Is alright. Against Dragons he was the man! This last game he went back to doing this hop, skip ,jump then run bs i absolutely hate.
Muts does it to. Takes away any momentum or impact when hitting the line.
I'd prefer Vete over him.
Now Kata. He is real loose lately. Losing his temper. Putting in cheap shots, Giving away a few junior penalties.
So this week i would throw a spanner in the works and ruffle some feathers. Lol

Fusitua(is more involved. Better dee than lolo)
Vatuvei
Lolohea
Hurrell
Allwood
Hingano
Johnson
Matulino
Luke
Vete
Mannering
Hoffman
Gubb(Let him loosen up the opposing forwards before Thompson comes on)

Lillyman
Sipley
Thompson
Tevaga/Leuluai

I'm giving Ayshford a rest lol. Kata bit of time in reserve grade. I wanted some speed out/in side our big backs.
Lolo with Manu, Konnie with Allwood.
Hingano deserves a chance. We need to try new combos now. Allwood has been safe, Has good speed and his defense has improved.
Thought about having Lane on the bench in place of Thompson. But Thompson covers more positions, And Leuluai as well. But Tevaga is some talent. It's a hard one.

• Haha
Tragic

Tragic

Picking Hurrell would not be a smart move, we need to stop the rot and it starts with him. i would put Gubb at centre before him.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

1 Tuimoala lolohea
2 ken maumalo
3 Konrad Hurrell
4 Blake Ayshford
5 David Fusitua

6 thomas leuluai
7 Shaun Johnson

13 shaun lane
12 Bodene Thompson
11 ryan Hoffman
10 Jacob Lillyman
9 Isaac Luke
8 Ben Matulino

14 jazz Tevaga
15 Ali lauititi
16 sam lisone
17 Charlie gubb

I wouldn't have Hurrell in the team. Nothing to do with being a dickhead but he has been shit in every reserve game I've seen this season.

Jay M

Jay M

Best team list by far. You've shored up all the deficiencies with good explanations that's except for Wright. Wingers need pace or the ability to run over people. Wright has never. Lastweeks try was just poor technique from his opposite but he's squandered many opportunities. A fine player but not a 'true' winger. Maybe bracket in Wells again.

I want to see how Wells goes. That being said - I wonder if we'll see him at all this year with the second tier cap probably being quite tight by now. That's why I mentioned Wright - plus he played on the left quite well last week. He had a decent game. (personally, for me to name Wright in a side - it's getting pretty close to desperate!)

Defence

Defence

Nah bro, Morgan debuted against the Roosters 2010 and tore them to shreds in the halves, MOM on the night and Milford debuted 2013 in the halves off the bench and then moved to the 1 his next game.

Edit: just seen Milf stayed on the bench for a while/

Just goes to show how hard it is for a teenager to crack it in the halves coz they were both quickly moved to fullback.
Now Hingano is a great prospect but it would be a big call to rate him above Morgan and Milford.
Ata will get his chance in the next 18 months. Tuis good to go now.

rugged

rugged

I wonder at what point last week Cappy wandered up to Lane and said "I'm going to take your bench spot and give it to an outside back", that has to be a ball buster especially if Lane is putting in at training.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Re Matulino, was his penalty the one on Josh Mansour? If it was, that was a horrific penalty from the refs. They called held and the cu** was still running, obviously trying to get the markers offside, before playing the ball. What were we supposed to do? Let him run 60m unabated? Aside from that two minutes (the drop and penalty), which were critical admittedly, I thought he was really good. He was the only forward dragging defenders extra metres and creating space for the halves and Issac Luke to work off. It was the first time in yonks he's been pushing through the ruck.

Suppose that's much like a lot of the,pm, 95% of the time they were playing well individually and then there was 5% each of impatience and panic.

Just on Sipley, I've picked him in my team, but, one thing I did notice v St George is after his line break, he was seriously gassed in the defensive line. He'd only been on for 5 minutes. Don't know if it was nervous energy or lack of stamina. If he's got endurance, he's got game for this level but it does show how tough the step up can be.

OMG

OMG

Just goes to show how hard it is for a teenager to crack it in the halves coz they were both quickly moved to fullback.
Now Hingano is a great prospect but it would be a big call to rate him above Morgan and Milford.
Ata will get his chance in the next 18 months. Tuis good to go now.

Technically Morgs was in his 4th season when moved to FB and Canberra had a number of injuries so they had to play Milf where they could.
We have seen it over and over again with class players at other clubs, they will drop them in it at 18, 19 no matter what the position. We drop our U20s back from Reserve grades for finals others drop them back from top grade.
We have been the polar opposite of pretty much every other club that has the quality.
We stopped playing 18 and 19 yr olds when Ivan was here, coincidencidentally our development has sucked.
If your good enough your good enough age isn't a factor once you hit 18.

stacky18

Kata out. Allwood in.
Bench is an issue. Only Luke is at first grade standard.

As always there'll be 4 guys picked on 'potential ' to 'learn' the game and 'develop'.

Status
Not open for further replies.