General Pick Your Team 2016 Rnd 10 - Warriors vs Panthers

Pick Your Team. Make up to 17 selections.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is if Maumalo is a backrower there is a lot of traffic in front of him and our FG incumbents all play 80 minutes.
Players get blooded on the wing because there is more time and they can get used to the pace of FG without being a huge risk.

you don't blood back rowers on the wing ;) that's just crazy talk :)

Jordan G

Maybe Ackland had it right all along and we should have kept Likiliki.

He looked simply outstanding in that game. But yes, you can only play what's in front of you and they were playing the winless, bottom of the table bulldogs side... and he was running behind a pack featuring Matulino, Lisone, Vete, Thompson, Sao...

I didn't think he was great in the nines. But I've seen a couple of decent games from him in the ISP. Wells has some skills and some talent. No idea if it translates to first grade or not, either now, or ever. But then again, a few weeks ago, I didn't think Fusitua would have matured as much as he has either...

I have my doubts if we'll see him this season. Our 2nd tier cap must be pretty close to tapped out. But I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot in front of the likes of Wright...

A lot of the team naming this week will be based on injuries and who is available. I don't think we'll see Wells no matter who is available or not. Unfortunately Maumalo will be named in first grade before him and the kid is not a winger... back three will be made up from Fusitua, Lolohea (hope he's playing five eighth though myself), Wright, Manu, Allwood (unless Allwood or Wright are at centre if Kata is rubbed out).
Actually should clarify one thing - I would prefer to see Wells named on the wing ahead of either Wright or Maumalo. Wright is slower than Lazarus and Maumalo just doesn't have it. I hate comparisons between Manu and Ken - just because there are some similarities in body type doesn't mean they are similar type players.

Reactions: 1 user
For a one off game where there's no other options, meh, but long term he's not a winger and any attempts to turn him into one are just doing his development more harm than good.

So in your opinion you think the coaches have wasted the past 2-3 seasons with him in the wing position ... Wow.

I didn't see the NSW Residents game where he fell over the line 3 times to score but he has been scoring doubles an trebles in NSW Cup where I know they haven't all been as simple as that, I've listened to most of the games this year and he has made plenty of tackle and line breaks.

Jonno Wright > Ken Maumalo. It's any wonder league journo's aren't writing articles about him and coaches aren't trying to sign him to their clubs.

Just saying he's not a winger doesn't necessarily makes it so, I've only seen him play once this season such is the coverage of NSW Cup but to me he's doing all those things a winger does in a game, admittedly he is only 21 and still has plenty of learning ahead of him, the reality is were talking about wing play here after all, yes the role has evolved in recent years but were not talking about a position where your going to get man of the match every week.

I dunno, I just beg to differ on him but I can see more upside with him than Wright and given the trend of his recent progression he could potentially develop into a fine winger for us.

5pm. Agreed, can see a 6 man + bench.

Don't think Manu should be considered, I feel he may have come back to training for the good of his mental health, can't see him having his head in the game.

Maumalo is a centre/second rower for me. He played a fair bit of centre in the juniors as well as second row, couldn't believe he was on the wing in FG. Thought we were just desperate, but this is where the club clearly sees his game developing.

Jordan G

So in your opinion you think the coaches have wasted the past 2-3 seasons with him in the wing position ... Wow.

I didn't see the NSW Residents game where he fell over the line 3 times to score but he has been scoring doubles an trebles in NSW Cup where I know they haven't all been as simple as that, I've listened to most of the games this year and he has made plenty of tackle and line breaks.

Jonno Wright > Ken Maumalo. It's any wonder league journo's aren't writing articles about him and coaches aren't trying to sign him to their clubs.

Just saying he's not a winger doesn't necessarily makes it so, I've only seen him play once this season such is the coverage of NSW Cup but to me he's doing all those things a winger does in a game, admittedly he is only 21 and still has plenty of learning ahead of him, the reality is were talking about wing play here after all, yes the role has evolved in recent years but were not talking about a position where your going to get man of the match every week.

I dunno, I just beg to differ on him but I can see more upside with him than Wright and given the trend of his recent progression he could potentially develop into a fine winger for us.

I don't think they've wasted 3 years because that would include improvements in his game that were needed regardless of position. I do think we've very much hindered his development though, and I don't blame Maumalo for that, I think everyone involved with his development has a lot to answer for if this gamble doesn't pay off.

Also, don't get the wrong idea of my criticism, I actually rate Maumalo. To me he's just not a winger. He doesn't have the speed, he doesn't have the wingers instincts. His best work is done in the middle, and it looks like we're trying to slam that square peg into the round hole in our never ending quest to uncover Manu 2.0. I want Maumalo to succeed, but I also believe that second row is the spot he will succeed in if given the chance and every week/game we waste (in IMO) persisting with him on the wing frustrates me because I believe Maumalo is the one who will lose out in the long run. If he doesn't make the full transition then the club cuts him and moves onto the next one, no problem for them. That's what annoys/frustrates/concerns me.

Don't think Manu should be considered, I feel he may have come back to training for the good of his mental health, can't see him having his head in the game

Yeah, I think he was brought in for training to keep his fitness up ... he's not the type to be doing extras at home.

I don't think they've wasted 3 years because that would include improvements in his game that were needed regardless of position. I do think we've very much hindered his development though, and I don't blame Maumalo for that, I think everyone involved with his development has a lot to answer for if this gamble doesn't pay off.

Also, don't get the wrong idea of my criticism, I actually rate Maumalo. To me he's just not a winger. He doesn't have the speed, he doesn't have the wingers instincts. His best work is done in the middle, and it looks like we're trying to slam that square peg into the round hole in our never ending quest to uncover Manu 2.0. I want Maumalo to succeed, but I also believe that second row is the spot he will succeed in if given the chance and every week/game we waste (in IMO) persisting with him on the wing frustrates me because I believe Maumalo is the one who will lose out in the long run. If he doesn't make the full transition then the club cuts him and moves onto the next one, no problem for them. That's what annoys/frustrates/concerns me.

I understand your point of view, others have expressed similar views to me so it must have merit.

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Ben Matulino and Bodene Thompson have both been recalled while Tuimoala Lolohea and Thomas Leuluai return from injury for the Vodafone Warriors’ 10th-round NRL match against the Penrith Panthers at AMI Stadium in Christchurch on Saturday (5.00pm kick-off).

Matulino is on the bench, Thompson in the second row, Lolohea reclaims the fullback spot and Leuluai is back in the halves.

Matulino and Thompson were among six players made unavailable for selection for the last outing against St George Illawarra while Lolohea (knee) and Leuluai (hamstring) will make their comebacks from one-match injury layoffs.

Lolohea started at fullback against Melbourne as Roger Tuivasa-Sheck’s replacement. His return results in David Fusitua switching to the wing while Leuluai comes back to replace Jeff Robson, who partnered Shaun Johnson in the halves against the Dragons.

Thompson is the only change in the starting pack with head coach Andrew McFadden retaining Jazz Tevaga and James Gavet in the front row plus John Palavi at loose forward.

Former Canterbury-Bankstown back rower Shaun Lane, who made his club debut against the Dragons, moves to the bench alongside Matulino, Issac Luke, Charlie Gubb and Matt Allwood.

McFadden said Mannering was still recovering from an ugly facial wound he received against the Storm while Manu Vatuvei, who had been on medical leave, was being monitored after returning to training yesterday.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v PENRITH PANTHERS
AMI Stadium, Christchurch
5.00pm, Saturday, May 14

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 Tuimoala LOLOHEA
2 Jonathan WRIGHT
3 Blake AYSHFORD
4 Solomone KATA
5 David Fusitua
6 Thomas LEULUAI
7 Shaun JOHNSON
8 Jacob LILLYMAN
9 Jazz TEVAGA
10 James GAVET
11 Bodene THOMPSON
12 Ryan HOFFMAN (c)
13 John PALAVI

Interchange
14 Issac LUKE
15 Ben MATULINO
16 Charlie GUBB
17 Shaun LANE
18 Matt ALLWOOD

I like the team, barring Wright. He ain't that bad, there are just better options IMO.

We have seriously got a run of good games to rebuild our season. Dragons last time, Penrith this, Canberra next, week off, then Brisbane. Four easy wins.:D

I'm expecting a HUGE game from Matulino and Thompson, HUGE. I also think with Vete and Lisone pretty much just waiting. That Gavet, Gubb
and Lane are also gonna smash it. In particular Gavet.......... Or we're gonna get a hiding. Haha.

Why the fuck would you not play Tui at six,Fusitua at fullback, Allwood on the wing. If Tui's future is at 6 then for god's sake play him there Fusitua is a fullback play him there am really getting sick of bullshit selections like Jonno Wright on the wing good player and and all but not on the wing. I am going to the game so will be good to see them live not happy about this team Selection plus would have loved to see Toafofoa Sipley really think he is going to be good for us .

Reactions: 4 users
First not worried about the team picked,its this performance that counts.If anything has gotten thru to players the warriors will win this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.