General Phil Guild's comments re Warriors / SMH

playdaball_old

10 . The Warriors - I fear for the Warriors. They are so important to the NRL and to the development of rugby league in New Zealand. I don't know the footy politics in that country but I don't see much teamwork over there in getting things done on a national scale. If the Warriors fail badly this year (and there's every indication it could be bad), then their future must be in jeopardy. That would be a tragedy for the game

This was taken from this moaning's SMH ...

Good to see that Gus has some passion for the Warriors

Unsure if the future is as bad as he paints ... is it?

We as fans sometimes believe that our season cannot be worse than 09 ... but can it?

a.c.e_old

I wont be, it cant be, it shouldnt be, as bad as 09. last year we took two steps back, this year we must make up for that and move forward.

Fazz_old

I don't think it will be as bad or as good as some are expecting.

Plus points:
- This is essentially the same team that was 3rd favourites last year, if the right people hit form then theres no reason they can't bounce back
- Our halfback has looked decent in the trials, we have a few options for 5/8th. One of which will hopefully be a good one.
- There are young guys waiting to take the spots of those that don't perform
- No pressure, historically the Warriors are at their best when no one expects anything from them.
- Tony Iro is coaching the attack, the under 20s attack was awesome. If he can replicate some of that then the warriors will score heaps more points this year
Negatives:
-Unproven halves. Though there is potential and the signs look fairly good, its not 100% that they will fire.
-Cleary may not drop player quick enough. Ok he DEFINITELY won't in all honesty.
-Form of certain players still under a cloud
-Pricey being dropped as captain may be the worst move of the year, it could also be a masterstroke however.

Overall this season could go either way. We won't have any idea until after the first 5-10 games.

fitzy_old

One thing Gus pointed out was he didn't know the politics of the game over here. In my opinion, if there is one thing that holds league back here, it is the politics. That seems to be certainly true here in Wellington, and especially at the junior level. This is the breeding ground for not just our next warriors or kiwis, but just good club men. There is way too much bickering between the clubs over which direction to take, Some clubs not agreeing on an idea that is actually good for the game, but because it was that clubs idea, then this club won't agree to it. Sometimes you have to move beyond club loyalties and think of the bigger picture. Come on you Randwick, Petone, Wainui, and Upper Hutt people

fitzy_old

I don't think it will be as bad or as good as some are expecting.

Plus points:
- This is essentially the same team that was 3rd favourites last year, if the right people hit form then theres no reason they can't bounce back
- Our halfback has looked decent in the trials, we have a few options for 5/8th. One of which will hopefully be a good one.
- There are young guys waiting to take the spots of those that don't perform
- No pressure, historically the Warriors are at their best when no one expects anything from them.
- Tony Iro is coaching the attack, the under 20s attack was awesome. If he can replicate some of that then the warriors will score heaps more points this year
Negatives:
-Unproven halves. Though there is potential and the signs look fairly good, its not 100% that they will fire.
-Cleary may not drop player quick enough. Ok he DEFINITELY won't in all honesty.
-Form of certain players still under a cloud
-Pricey being dropped as captain may be the worst move of the year, it could also be a masterstroke however.

Overall this season could go either way. We won't have any idea until after the first 5-10 games.

You are saying on the postive side the warriors have a good halfback, then in the negative side saying they are unproven? Cleary won't drop out of form players. Everyone seems to be assuming that Ivan learnt nothing last year either. I have more faith than that, and bick the warriors to be in the top 6

mrblonde_old

I think Ivan's learnt something already this year.
That this may well be his last year.
With all the off-field stuff going on, the injuries and new players - remember, for instance, how we debuted Locke and Heremeia in the Tigers game at Mt Smart - I never for a second thought Cleary would get the chop.
However, once all the dust settled I hope someone gave him a right rev up for this year. This year he has to be a b.st..d if need be because he knows if the Warriors don't make the finals he's going to be making new friends and trying interesting new things in 2011. In another job.
Cleary will 100% certainly name a new boy for Sunday - it's virtually a Warriors tradition for Round 1 and I think it's a good move. I was picking Mara but the drums are beating for Heremeia at 9, so that means Hohaia at 14 and do you want to hookers on the bench? (ie can Mara do anything other than hooker) but he hopefully won't have to - or be stupid enough to name 2 debutants in the one game.