Staff Phil Gould

bruce

bruce

Contributor
I wonder if they looked at basing themselves in Brizzy and playing out of Suncorp every other week with the Broncos. Bigger cost structure so risk there - more chance of bigger gate takings?
They have to make money somehow. I reckon 2022 is stuffed, if it is the same for 2023 that might be serious. Anything has to be on the table.

Reactions: 1 user
snake77

snake77

I haven't heard that but I am sure it is possible.
Not anything official but have heard ministers or media saying minister have said don't expect things to return to normal soon. Then have said it could be a few years, at least until 2024.

Rizzah

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Here's the link to his speech on 9.
Underneath the spin, it's an acknowledgement it hasn't worked and everyone is moving on.

I was buoyed by watching the clip, Gould's contract with the Bulldogs will still allow him to help the Warriors/NZ with junior pathways.
He seemed genuinely gutted to have to leave the role.

Reactions: 3 users

Old Sid

Not anything official but have heard ministers or media saying minister have said don't expect things to return to normal soon. Then have said it could be a few years, at least until 2024.
And why aren't Kiwis jumping up and down and marching in the streets, outraged even thinking about this. It's bloody criminal that the vaccine route is about the slowest in the world, on pace with Africa. What the hell has happened to the Kiwi can-do attitude. This lot are getting away with murder and folks are soaking it up like lemmings. Astounding. Where is the plan and determination to manage their way out of this. You bet the spin will be all rosy again come election year, but not a month before. Guys like Phil Gould can see this and say to hell with it. No aspirations, no point, and even worse than Oz. Might as well go home.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
And why aren't Kiwis jumping up and down and marching in the streets, outraged even thinking about this. It's bloody criminal that the vaccine route is about the slowest in the world, on pace with Africa. What the hell has happened to the Kiwi can-do attitude. This lot are getting away with murder and folks are soaking it up like lemmings. Astounding. Where is the plan and determination to manage their way out of this. You bet the spin will be all rosy again come election year, but not a month before. Guys like Phil Gould can see this and say to hell with it. No aspirations, no point, and even worse than Oz. Might as well go home.
I don't think our vaccine issue would have affected Gould. NSW is worse than us FFS. I think it is the whole uncertainty about covid, which is understandable.

It looks as though the Kiwibuild crew were asleep on the job allowing some low level bureaucrat to turn down the opportunity of $40 million to Pfizer for more vaccine. Cindy is already spinning her way out of that.

J_P

We're actually slightly ahead of Australia according to the Google tracker.

Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Didn't Gus get stuck over here when they canned the flights to/from Sydney?

That may have been the straw that broke the camel's back as that would have affected his other NRL commitments in OZ.

• Love
brightman

brightman

We really are going of topic but NZ really is becoming 3rd world and that's no joke!

bruce

bruce

Contributor

That may have been the straw that broke the camel's back as that would have affected his other NRL commitments in OZ.
He has been stuck in NZ before. I think it was after the nines a few years ago.

I don't like being stuck somewhere, no matter how pleasant the place is, but that is just me. Phil was clearly pissed off about it at the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Mr Dragon

Mr Dragon

He has been stuck in NZ before. I think it was after the nines a few years ago.

I don't like being stuck somewhere, no matter how pleasant the place is, but that is just me. Phil was clearly pissed off about it at the time.
If i looked like Phil i would be pissed off all the time 🤣

• Haha
bruce

bruce

Contributor
If i looked like Phil i would be pissed off all the time 🤣
Phil is not perfect, nor everybody's favourite.

I remember Peter Peters saying Phil thought he had put the air in the football.

Also his coaching style was quite robotic.

However he is still one of the most successful coaches of all time with a 59% club record and similar in SOO...

and Peter Peters has always been full of shite...just saying like.

Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

No he came to NZ and the border closed to Aussies the day after… i think his flight back might have been slightly delayed due to no planes being available

Teeps4Shore

Teeps4Shore

We need to talk about Gus. Given how Phil Gould has (let’s be candid here) knifed Trent Barrett after taking over the Dogs training a week or so ago, and how’s he’s done the same thing to Cleary and Griffin at the Panthers, how do we feel about Phil leaving us now? It seems everywhere he goes, he wants to be the alpha dog in control… but I think there is something about him that smells a little funny. Don’t you think? Whilst COVID may have restricted his travel, surely pathways work could still have been done virtually for 12 months whilst borders opened up fully…. For mine, I’m glad he’s not at our club anymore. It seems carnage follows Gus everywhere he goes these days. And he seems to be head coach by stealth with his football director roles. Was this a reason he left us - because he couldn’t get that power here? I dunno… maybe we dodged a bullet?!
The Dogs were supposed to be the big mover given how they recruited for 22 and 23. But they have been crap. Barrett I agree is proven to be an average head coach, but it seems he also needed more than 10 weeks to try and mould that side - especially after the dogs were hamstrung with cap issues during the Dean Pay years and a political shit show at head office level. Something smells funny here.
Discuss.

Last edited:
Once A Warrior

Once A Warrior

We need to talk about Gus. Given how Phil Gould has (let’s be candid here) knifed Trent Barrett after taking over the Dogs training a week or so ago, and how’s he’s done the same thing to Cleary and Griffin at the Panthers, how do we feel about Phil leaving us now? It seems everywhere he goes, he wants to be the alpha dog in control… but I think there is something about him that smells a little funny. Don’t you think? Whilst COVID may have restricted his travel, surely pathways work could still have been done virtually for 12 months whilst borders opened up fully…. For mine, I’m glad he’s not at our club anymore. It seems carnage follows Gus everywhere he goes these days. And he seems to be head coach by stealth with his football director roles. Was this a reason he left us - because he couldn’t get that power here? I dunno… maybe we dodged a bullet?!
The Dogs were supposed to be the big mover given how they recruited for 22 and 23. But they have been crap. Barrett I agree is proven to be an average head coach, but it seems he also needed more than 10 weeks to try and mould that side - especially after the dogs were hamstrung with cap issues during the Dean Pay years and a political shit show at head office level. Something smells funny here.
Discuss.
Was thinking the same thing last night watching 360. But what we needed gus for was to build our development plan and structures right?

He's in a totally different role to what we would of hired him for But still not a good look.

AlexM

AlexM

I think the 360 guys really dislike him.
Its like 9 Fairfax VS Murdoch Media gangwar

• Love
Defence

Defence

I cant stand the guy.
His profile and experience could've been useful though and certainly hasn't been replaced.

Blain

Blain

The difference was Gus was here as a consultant, to oversee development pathways and help out here and there. The Dogs have thrown him the keys in a powerful role, which he hasn't had much success in recently. I still would have preferred him to stay with us in that part time role.

But if it's true he has a 5 year + 5 year extension option in his role at the Dogs... I would be a bit nervous. But they have been rubbish for years, so there is only 1 way for them to go surely?

Reactions: 4 users

kos

I think we are better off without him. He is getting quite old now and probably has health issues looking at his appearance.
5+5 at the Bulldogs -if he saw that out he would be older than Bennett.
He seems a very divisive character and obviously has to be in control and not have a succesful coach underneath him.
If I had a business I would not hire him.

Akkerz

Akkerz

Contributor
So thankful Covid saved us from Phil Gould's helpful interference. Personally I feel he always has an agenda & it usually ends with some poor sod getting shafted.
Was never a fan of Cleary but I admired the way he stood up to Gould. The Panthers are proving that was a good move. Phil Gould has shown himself to be a poison best avoided imo & not a great representative for our game.