General Peter Wallace

EnterFien_old

Origin hero Peter Wallace flooded with interest for 2010
By Steve Mascord | May 23, 2008 12:00am

HE couldn't get an offer from Penrith last year but NSW Origin hero Peter Wallace last night had five clubs chasing him - for 2010.

As the Brisbane five-eighth returned home yesterday after his five-star Blues debut, chief executive Bruno Cullen declared his determination to upgrade and extend the contract of the 22-year-old.

That's following revelations the Bulldogs, Warriors, Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra are interested in him - even though he has 18 months to run on his contract.

"He's been living down in Sydney all his life and no bastard knew he was there," Cullen told The Daily Telegraph. "He's played one game of Origin and people have recognised his ability - we recognised it 12 months ago.

"We've got him for this year and next year and we'd obviously like to extend him out and come up with a deal that we're all happy with."

The Broncos had 28 days from the City-Country game to review Wallace's contract under a special clause in his contract.

But St George Illawarra, coached by Wallace's current boss in Brisbane, Wayne Bennett, are among the clubs trying to tempt him away.

"We're always interested in quality players and we're well aware of his contractual situation," said Dragons chief executive Peter Doust.

Wallace's manager Allan Gainey said he expected Broncos football manager Peter Nolan to discuss the future of the Blues star with him at schoolboy carnivals over the next two weekends.

Wallace can't formally talk to other clubs until November.

"I've got about four clubs who have inquired about his situation," Gainey said.

"They want to know if the Broncos have an option on his services. They don't.

"It's a straight two-year deal. He's off-contract at the end of 2009.

"He's got a representative review clause in his contract. Within 28 days of him playing a rep game, the Broncos can come back to us with a view to upgrading and extending."

There are reports that the Warriors are willing to offer Wallace as much as $340,000 per season from 2010 onwards.

Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg commented: "We have signed Brett Kimmorley for two years but we are always interested in good players when they come on to the market."

Gainey said Penrith were not one of the clubs to inquire about Wallace. The Panthers turned down the opportunity to re-sign the St Marys junior at the beginning of last season.

And by the end of the year, coach Matthew Elliott conceded they could not match the offer from Brisbane.

"We always got the impression they had their eyes on someone else," Gainey said.

do you think he would be a good buy? and do you think he is worth $320,000+++???

Ryno_old

Yeah man he would be an awesome signing. Its also nice to see the Warriors (if the reports are true) go after a half, so there must be some money in the bank aye?

Mone_old

With players like Carroll,Clinton,Eastwood,Ennis,Hannant,Hodges,Hunt,Lockyer,Marsh,Sims,Thaiday and next season Folau, under the salary cap can the Broncos seriously keep Wallace?
As for us good signing yes, but at this time right now, we have a side that is just missing a quality half, in 2010 I think we will be back in a rebuilding phase but it would be wise to start with a good halfback.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingdamo_old

Wow! Good to hear that the Warriors are actually chasing a half.. Even though its for 2010..

truckie_old

With players like Carroll,Clinton,Eastwood,Ennis,Hannant,Hodges,Hunt,Lockyer,Marsh,Sims,Thaiday and next season Folau, under the salary cap can the Broncos seriously keep Wallace?
As for us good signing yes, but at this time right now, we have a side that is just missing a quality half, in 2010 I think we will be back in a rebuilding phase but it would be wise to start with a good halfback.

i don't think we will be rebuilding but we will have some holes to fill. if you have a look at how young our side is at the moment we would have players like fai,packer,ah van,rapira,lauaiki,tuimavave,vatuvei and the list goes on the would be in there prime come 2010

bring him on

kingdamo_old

On the Penrith forums on LU, they are saying that Jarrod Sammut is unhappy being relegated into reserve grade and he is talking to the Titans.

What would you guys think about him?

Skinny_Ravs82

I'm sure the Broncos will find a way to keep him, but he's firmly off the market for now so don't jump too far ahead guys ;) would be nice to see though.

Warrioraholic_old

I think Ivan will play him at 6 and let Witt go. Rovelli will direct play with Wallace running off him...........

J_Hallow_old

On the Penrith forums on LU, they are saying that Jarrod Sammut is unhappy being relegated into reserve grade and he is talking to the Titans.

what annoys me about this is when wade went down with his injury we looked into seeing if the panthers would release sammut. and he could come and play with us. they refused now they have dropped him to reserve grade.

they did the same thing to wallace last year. except when he signed to brisbane they dropped him and refused to release him til the end of the year

penrith apparently are having a big clean out at the end of the year

Jesbass_old

I'm sure the Broncos will find a way to keep him, but he's firmly off the market for now so don't jump too far ahead guys ;) would be nice to see though.

There's no deadline anymore, Skins, so we can approach as early as we like. We could sign a player for the 2015 season, if we really wanted to.

Jesbass_old

I think Ivan will play him at 6 and let Witt go. Rovelli will direct play with Wallace running off him...........

Thanks for the good laugh heading into the weekend! :lol1:

Word is, Cleary will ask Lauaki to take over the goalkicking duties in Witt's absence...

raypower_old

what annoys me about this is when wade went down with his injury we looked into seeing if the panthers would release sammut. and he could come and play with us. they refused now they have dropped him to reserve grade.

they did the same thing to wallace last year. except when he signed to brisbane they dropped him and refused to release him til the end of the year

penrith apparently are having a big clean out at the end of the year

Insiders word about Sammut is that it's an attitude/discipline thing than form. He was at a mate's place, had a couple of drinks and turned up late and slightly hungover to training so they dropped him to the bench.

a.c.e_old

I think Ivan will play him at 6 and let Rovelli go. Witt will direct play with Wallace running off him...........

Fixed :)

The Warriors shouldn't let go of Witt and should extend his contract, the guys a sure 2pts every time we score.

Kid-Dynamite_old

I rate him! He's a very enthusiastic player!!!
Probably not what we are looking for though.

And on Peter Wallace...yes,yes,yes,yes,yes he would be a good signing!!!! :D

playdaball_old

Amazing ... Wallace was a Neville Nobody last year with Penrith now everybody is all over him like a wet rag. How many other young fringe first grade halfbacks are out there just waiting for the right opportunity?

edguy_old

yeah . i say grab wallace ..even at 400 k hes worth it ....
and sammut too if we could get him ..

also maybe this may put the wind up ravs ,seeing we are actually looking for a replacement halfback . .....well done management ...go after wallace ...
we should have plenty of money to spend in 2010 ..

Iafeta_old

You know, I'm still not 100% convinced on Wallace. 2006 he was a good player developing, 2007 he had an ordinary year ended up playing reserve grade as a lock, 2008 he's going well behind a very dominant forward pack. Even in Origin, he sent a lot of bullets down the throat of Billy Slater, and despite the rapturous support of the nine commentary labelling it a master tactic, I don't see how booting it straight down the larynx of a speed machine is a good option to take just quietly. Not to say when he was in attacking positions he didn't take his chances.

I guess comparatively to Rovelli, I'd definitely give him $340,000, but I'm still not entirely convinced yet. He's going to have some incredible competition over the years to retain the NSW 7 jersey from Mullen, Carney, Pearce and Soward, if he keeps them off, he's going very well. For the record, I'd take him ahead of Brett Finch, but Jamie Soward would have always been my preferred option.