General Perth NRL side

playdaball_old

It would be great to see a Perth team play once again. if so I'd imagine we'd be looking at the Bombers and Perth ....

back to the Future i.e. Reds and Crushers!

No room for Gosford (Central Coast) / Rockhampton / PNG / Wgtn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

What sort of transit times would we be looking at for Perth to play the Warriors at either venue?

Any informed 'Nix fans who can share?

LordGnome_old

What sort of transit times would we be looking at for Perth to play the Warriors at either venue?

Any informed 'Nix fans who can share?

Its about 7 hours to Perth and about 6 hours back (or quicker if the wind speed is up there.)

rugbyleaguebill@hotmail_old

We must never, ever, merge, with Union folk. We broke away from them centuries ago, and must remain so. They have use of Rugby League Park in Wellington and Canterbury, and we don't see anything coming from them. They have changed tenfold since becoming professional, and only things different is they are now doing all their payments above the table, instead of under the table, as they did for years. Good luck to those in Perth, even if it will add to Warriors travelling.

LordGnome_old

Its the time difference that kills you when you go to WA, not the travelling time.

Ryan_old

I agree. Given how much us non-professional sports-persons are at the mercy of our own bodyclocks for daily performance, I'd guess this to even more apparent in professional sports. The biggest problem will not be for teams travelling to Perth, but the Perth team itself.

LordGnome_old

The Perth team coming to NZ for a 2pm Sunday game in March would be playing at 9am their time.

Ryan_old

Exactly. And, for example, to play a home game at 7pm the next weekend would mean the players require to be physically match ready for a 10 hour stretch of the day. That's an exeptionally large window. That said, I'm sure that the NRL would be managing the draw in a way that minimised these issues, and that the trainers would be well aware of the issues and training the players accordingly. But the point still stands, they will be a weaker team as a result.

Tajhay_old

id like to see a perth team... but moreso than that i really really wanna see a png or combined islands team, which poses greater issues. if we say no to perth, i feel that png and combined islanders team will forever be put into the 'too hard' basket.

besides afl has teams all over aus and perth teams regularly fly into sydney/bris and i cant see much made of the travel factor. fair enough that nz is a couple more hours travel time, but its not like the warriors will be doing this every weekend, maybe once a season if the game is to be played in perth. the greater issue will be for the perth players flying in and out every 2nd week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

How about a Western conference? Could that work, assuming enough teams were found, of course? I guess you'd have to have a split in the middle of Sydney though, to get the numbers?

Spence_old

Perth would still be the only team out West though, so that just gives half the competition an unfair advantage?

Northern_Union

Or any of their AFL teams, for that matter? The answer is that they don't play the physically toughest team sport known to man.

This.

Also of note is that the S15 teams seem to handle the South Africa to NZ and vice versa without to much trouble.

Ryan_old

Also of note is that the S15 teams seem to handle the South Africa to NZ and vice versa without to much trouble.
Do the S15 teams stay on in South Africa for extended periods? From memory, I think the draw is configured so that NZ and Australian teams only have fly there once in the regular season.

playdaball_old

A Perth team makes perfect sense as it gives 3 times zones making it ideal for TV viewing.

As mentioned NZ teams from RU, soccer and basketball all play against teams from Perth (and in some cases Sth Africa). The old Akld Warriors used to travel there too.

The Warriors can play in Sydney stay on in Sydney and then travel onto Perth without coming back to Akld. At the end of the day the NRL or TV officials don't care too much about our players - its more about attracting more viewers.

AC5_old

How about a Western conference? Could that work, assuming enough teams were found, of course? I guess you'd have to have a split in the middle of Sydney though, to get the numbers?

If there was another nz team, another Brisbane team and maybe1/2 others you could viably have a conference style that was even south north central and west. Or even a western/ eastern. NFL teams have geographically large conferences despite the idea of a conference being to limit travel time & expenses etc.

I still reckon a 2nd Nz and Brisbane team should be higher priorities than Perth?

Southern_warrior_old

I'd personally love to see perth back in the NRL. Could be a bit for them competing with the AFL and super rugby side as well but I think if they manage to compete in the competition they could pull a good crowd.