mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Paul Turner

Paul Turner 2.png

Whangarei-born and bred Paul immediately appealed as a player of uncommon ability coming through the grades as a youngster.

The Whangarei Boys' High School product came out of the Hikurangi Stags before being signed by South Sydney (along with his brother Lee) for the 2016 season. That year he made eight appearances and scored eight tries for the club's Harold Matthews Cup (under-16) side.

By 2017 he was back in New Zealand, signed by the Vodafone Warriors. He played 12 times for the club's under-20 side that year and added another 18 appearances last year. Adept at either fullback or in the halves, he has taken his number of under-20 outings beyond 35 while he has also been blooded in the Canterbury Cup NSW grade where he has played three times for the Vodafone Warriors.

Turner was in the Junior Kiwis' squad for 2018 international against the Junior Kangaroos, although he wasn't in the final playing line-up.

Signed on a development contract, Turner trained with the NRL squad in 2019 and featured in the Vodafone Warriors' trial against Melbourne in Geelong.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland

NRL: Boom debutant Paul Turner 100 per cent committed to remaining at Warriors

Mat Kermeen
18:04, Aug 25 2020
Paul Turner is currently on a development contract with the Warriors.

FIONA GOODALL/GETTY IMAGES
Paul Turner is currently on a development contract with the Warriors.

Paul Turner's path to his preferred position is blocked by Roger Tuivasa-Sheck but Sunday's boom debutant won’t be tempted to walk out on the Warriors.

Turner became Warrior #249 when he made a sparkling debut in the club's 20-14 victory over the Bulldogs on Sunday when playing in the halves but he wants to make his name in the no. 1 jersey.

Turner is currently on a development contract but the 20-year-old is “100 per cent” committed to remaining at the club in 2021 and beyond.

Paul Turner's NRL debut has been compared to the first appearance of Kiwis' legend Benji Marshall.

MARK KOLBE/GETTY IMAGES
Paul Turner's NRL debut has been compared to the first appearance of Kiwis' legend Benji Marshall.

“My intention is I want to stay at this club for however long it is and I plan on playing for this club in the future,” Turner said on Tuesday.

Veteran Australian rugby league writer Tony Adams, aka The Mole, described Turner's first NRL appearance as arguably the best debut by a Kiwi playmaker since Benji Marshall made his debut in 2003.

Turner, who is comfortable in the halves for now, has mostly stayed away from the internet since Sunday to avoid the hype around his debut and he is adamant he still has both feet on the ground - saying he was focussing on Saturday's match against Newcastle just hours after his debut.

Paul Turner played in the Warriors pre-season trial matches in 2019 and 2020.

WARWICK SMITH/STUFF
Paul Turner played in the Warriors pre-season trial matches in 2019 and 2020.

“As the game finished on the weekend my mind was already set on the following week ... it's a quick turnaround so my head was switched for next week.”

His appearance against the Bulldogs could be a one-off, for now, with Warriors interim coach Todd Payten naming Turner on the extended bench for Saturday’s match against the Newcastle Knights at Scully Park in Tamworth with Chanel Harris-Tavita returning to the starting side.

Turner gained his opportunity against the Bulldogs because of the training head clash that ruled out Harris-Tavita and Adam Keighran, plus the recent departure of Blake Green and he has himself been battling a shoulder niggle since his debut but is optimistic he will be available for the Knights match if required.

Making Turner's NRL debut even more remarkable was the fact he had not played a competitive game since the Warriors’ New South Wales Cup loss to Newcastle way back on March 14 because of the cancellation of the reserve grade competition due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Turner was told he would make his debut last Wednesday but - aside from a select few - was forced to keep it to himself with Payten telling media before the Bulldogs game Harris-Tavita’s replacement was a “secret”.

“The coach came into my room and just said 'welcome to the NRL mate' and I was a bit emotional after that," Turner said.

So what's it like when you're told you will be making your NRL debut?

"I actually don't know, everything happened so fast I didn't have time to think."

Turner jumped straight on the blower to deliver the good news to his father.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/authors/mat-kermeen
"After I hung up with him he ended up having a little cry to my mum," Turner said.

The Northland product was still anxious when game day finally arrived.

"It was a big moment. I was nervous the whole day, I'm not going to lie," Turner said.

Despite his lack of game time in 2020, Turner believes his development has been fast-tracked because of being in camp fulltime, due to Covid-19 restrictions, and learning from the likes of Green, Nikorima and in particular Harris-Tavita.

“When I was younger he was always my idol coming up in the 20s grade, he was always the one I'd look out for and hopefully I will play a game with him this year or maybe next year,” Turner said of Harris-Tavita.

Turner, who was educated at Whangarei Boys' High School, was first noticed by the South Sydney Rabbitohs when he was playing for the Northern Swords in a national under-15 tournament alongside Parramatta Eels star Dylan Brown.

Turner moved to Australia to play Harold Matthews Cup (under-16s) for South Sydney the following year before signing for the Warriors in 2017.

Turner, who was a star of the Warriors New South Wales Cup team in 2019 and was named the club’s best under-20 player of the year when he was awarded the Sonny Fai Medal, also represented the Junior Kiwis in last year.

Ohgeelowk

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 24, 2020

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Sad to see one of our local juniors go but to be honest, we probably weren't the right club for him. I also don't think the Titans (supposedly where he's going) are either. He needs to go to a club that can put the right IQ players/coaches around him so he can learn what to do and when to do it. A club like Storm, Roosters, Panthers.

He had all the skill in the world but can't pick the right moments to inject himself or make the right plays at the right time. He wasn't short of talent but it was his decision making that held him back. He gets these things right and he could be back to haunt us. Very much in the Jahrome Hughes mould. Had all the skills but couldn't find the right balance. Now hes one of the premier halves. Just feels like the Isaiah Papalii situation all over again. If he stays, he remains average but goes to another club and excels beyond expectation. I don't generally think there is an issue with the club but more that our juniors feel entitled and seem to think they've made it already. They need new surroundings to feel that they have to earn their new teammates/coaches respect.

Would take Walsh over Turner 100 times over though so no biggy.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Sad to see him go as he never really fired a shot or got a chance to showcase his talents other than a few moments against the bulldogs. I hope he goes well for the Titans 🤙
Yeah I liked his speed & elusiveness however hope he thrives in a new environment.I actually trust POS & our recruitment team.Done extremely well to get Walsh & Addin Fonua-Blake & Ben Murdoch-Masila .Others now starting to shine like Curran & Pompey

TheSultan

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Sad to see one of our local juniors go but to be honest, we probably weren't the right club for him. I also don't think the Titans (supposedly where he's going) are either. He needs to go to a club that can put the right IQ players/coaches around him so he can learn what to do and when to do it. A club like Storm, Roosters, Panthers.

He had all the skill in the world but can't pick the right moments to inject himself or make the right plays at the right time. He wasn't short of talent but it was his decision making that held him back. He gets these things right and he could be back to haunt us. Very much in the Jahrome Hughes mould. Had all the skills but couldn't find the right balance. Now hes one of the premier halves. Just feels like the Isaiah Papalii situation all over again. If he stays, he remains average but goes to another club and excels beyond expectation. I don't generally think there is an issue with the club but more that our juniors feel entitled and seem to think they've made it already. They need new surroundings to feel that they have to earn their new teammates/coaches respect.

Would take Walsh over Turner 100 times over though so no biggy.
Totally! Have always felt one of the big issues with kiwis playing in the NRL is the goal is always just to make it to first grade. Thats obviously an achievement but shouldnt be the end goal. The clubs that have had long term success have players that are willing to earn their stripes (often for less pay) and the good ones always find a way. Hope Turner does just a shame it wont be with us.

Ohgeelowk

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 24, 2020
Yeah I liked his speed & elusiveness however hope he thrives in a new environment.I actually trust POS & our recruitment team.Done extremely well to get Walsh & Addin Fonua-Blake & Ben Murdoch-Masila .Others now starting to shine like Curran & Pompey
Could not agree more mate, genuine excitement for the future of our club. Can’t believe the youth that’s coming through, addin still relatively young also. Could have a core group of players that could have many years together if we can be a successful team.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
*shrugs*

Didn't really see him as a solution. Would go great if he was paired with a Reynolds style half which it doesn't look like he will be.

Good luck to him on the way out. We'll see if he can avoid the curse of Lolohea/Hingano as halves whose patience didn't match their ability.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
This is kind of why I disagreed with playing Sean O'Sullivan when Chanel Harris-Tavita got hurt, even though he did a reasonable job and the team jagged a couple of wins, you’re basically saying to Turner - we aren’t going to use you unless there is no other option – naturally they won’t be super keen to re-sign with you.

So many of these run first halves need the ideal situation, playing off of a dominant half so they can just do the stuff they are good at on attack.

But there aren’t 16 Nathan Cleary’s around to partner in the halves, say he goes to the titans, Taylor or Fogarty, they aren’t nearly good enough to allow Turner to just come in, run first and step some defenders.

Walsh makes this all a bit irrelevant, but.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
The Titans are a good option.

Every player that has left for the Titans has improved since Paasi went over there. Lisone is going well, Herbert is going well.

Titans means lots of chances to play. If Turner is good enough he will stand out even in a middling team...or more so...big fish little pond.

Hurrell is the only clown that was worse there than here, but he was a clown so there is no need to include him in a Ex Warriors Titans conversation.

Turner is at an age where he cannot afford to go to an elite club and never see NRL daylight ever again.

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012
This is kind of why I disagreed with playing Sean O'Sullivan when Chanel Harris-Tavita got hurt, even though he did a reasonable job and the team jagged a couple of wins, you’re basically saying to Turner - we aren’t going to use you unless there is no other option – naturally they won’t be super keen to re-sign with you.

So many of these run first halves need the ideal situation, playing off of a dominant half so they can just do the stuff they are good at on attack.

But there aren’t 16 Nathan Cleary’s around to partner in the halves, say he goes to the titans, Taylor or Fogarty, they aren’t nearly good enough to allow Turner to just come in, run first and step some defenders.

Walsh makes this all a bit irrelevant, but.

Yeah it's interesting after the Chanel Harris-Tavita injury they obviously looked at Turner and decided he wasn't good enough to force Kodi into 7 but with Walsh it only took them a week to make the same decision.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Massive loss. POS obviously rates him. Courier reporting that the offer POS gave him was far larger than the one he signed with Titans.

I think a lot of this is to do with Brown playing Sean O'Sullivan over him when Chanel Harris-Tavita went down - massive slap in the face if you’re Turner.

Sean O'Sullivan has done sweet fuck all in the NRL up to this point. If I was Turner I would feel hard done by as well and want to jump ship.

This one hits different to the Hayze loss.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
EditMassive loss. POS obviously rates him. Courier reporting that the offer POS gave him was far larger than the one he signed with Titans.

I think a lot of this is to do with Brown playing Sean O'Sullivan over him when Chanel Harris-Tavita went down - massive slap in the face if your Turner.

Sean O'Sullivan has done sweet fuck all in the NRL up to this point. If I was Turner I would feel hard done by as well and want to jump ship.

This one hits different to the Hayze loss.
Juniors that feel hard done by for not being guaranteed a jersey can piss off and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

This club is polluted by entitled Juniors.

Last thing we need is to play someone in case they want to leave.

Not laying this at Turners feet because it is speculation, however if that is the reason he left I am pleased to see the back of him.

The other issue with the clubs culture has been guaranteeing players get to play in specific positions.

Brown might not be the best coach, but he is the best option to shake up this club on both fronts.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Juniors that feel hard done by for not being guaranteed a jersey can fuck off and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

This club is polluted by entitled Juniors.

Last thing we need is to play someone in case they want to leave.

Not laying this at Turners feet because it is speculation, however if that is the reason he left I am pleased to see the back of him.
That’s not entitlement at all?

To feel hard done by because Sean fucking O’Sullivan was picked ahead of you is completely warranted.

What has Sean O'Sullivan done is this league to give him right of passage?

If I’m Turner, that’s a kick in the teeth, given the player that we know Sean O'Sullivan is.

Reactions: Dave Brough

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings