General Other candidates

sebastian_old

Bluey gets me hard when thinking about next season.

Nothing against Iro. It's just rookie coaches want to consolidate themselves in the role. This usually means a good period of playing what's familiar and safe. We all want someone that'll introduce a new attacking structure, and won't be afraid to promote youngsters/drop old heads. I think Iro would be especially conscious of his first season or 2. As an aspiring NRL coach in NZ, where on earth would it leave him if he gets dumped by the Warriors half a season in?

Either way, this is all speculation. I also don't think he's done enough time as an under-study yet. Kearney was fapping over Bellamy for years at the Storm, and had International XP before he got a first grade gig.

I agree, i have nothing against Iro. I just don't think the situation is right for him, yet. He actually seems like he has quality. I just believe we need at this point in time, a coach with that inner confidence. I also see merit in something like a plan to guide Iro into the main role under someone like Bluey for 3 years. That would be my personal plan, anyway.

a.c.e_old

Bluey gets me hard when thinking about next season.

ai38.tinypic.com_2r74o3l.gif

Kearney was fapping over Bellamy for years at the Storm.

ai.imgur.com_4xpO1.gif

Attachments

• ai38.tinypic.com_2r74o3l.gif
    ai38.tinypic.com_2r74o3l.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • ai.imgur.com_4xpO1.gif
    ai.imgur.com_4xpO1.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

Jesbass_old

Folkes is at tigers, steve 'not ours' price is at dragons.

What's steve price upto these days? Still in nz? I'd like him involved at the club in some capacity with a view to taking over from scurrah later on. It's a shame we haven't utilized him since his retirement. Him, campion, wiki are the types of players I want the club to keep in some role to build on our good club culture.

Steve Price is still involved with the club. I know he rings up members who have discontinued their membership to persuade them to sign up again. I have no idea what else he does, if anything.

ToiletDuck_old

Steve Price is still involved with the club. I know he rings up members who have discontinued their membership to persuade them to sign up again. I have no idea what else he does, if anything.

That's almost worth signing up, waiting a year without renewing and wait for his phone call.

Jesbass_old

That's almost worth signing up, waiting a year without renewing and wait for his phone call.

Yeah, I missed his call and he left a message on my phone. Then I texted the membership manager and said something along the lines of how realistic the recording sounded, lol.

The membership manager promised me that he'd get Steve Price to ring again if I signed up. I wasn't going to, but with Ray coming over for the last home match of the season, I'm pretty tempted now.

Apparently the hardest part of Steve Price's job is convincing people that they're really talking to Steve Price. From there, the signing up part is pretty easy.

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah, I missed his call and he left a message on my phone. Then I texted the membership manager and said something along the lines of how realistic the recording sounded, lol.

The membership manager promised me that he'd get Steve Price to ring again if I signed up. I wasn't going to, but with Ray coming over for the last home match of the season, I'm pretty tempted now.

Apparently the hardest part of Steve Price's job is convincing people that they're really talking to Steve Price. From there, the signing up part is pretty easy.

I'd ask him to name the Bulldogs players at the centre of the Coffs Harbour rape case.

Spence_old

In a recent article Pricey referred to the Warriors with 'we'. So I think he's still supporting the club.

MarkW_old

I think everyone has been overlooking the most obvious candidate - our very own Kiwi super coach, Gary Kemble!

Lego_Man_old

To be honest i dont understand all the jizz over McLennan. He doesnt convince me as a technical league coach, sure he may be a good motivator for one-off games but you need more than that for an entire season.

Having said that, if we used Iro, may as well write off the next 5 seasons for rebuilding.

Bring back DA...

Viking_old

To be honest i dont understand all the jizz over McLennan. He doesnt convince me as a technical league coach, sure he may be a good motivator for one-off games but you need more than that for an entire season.

Having said that, if we used Iro, may as well write off the next 5 seasons for rebuilding.

Bring back DA...

What makes you think he's a poor tactical coach?

He must be pretty flukey if he's had that much success without any technical coaching ability.

As for coaching entire seasons, he's just completed 3 in a row at Leeds, including Challenge cup rounds that make the season a month longer, winning titles in 2 of them and making the semis last year. Sure the NRL is more intense but for a coach, the ESL is far more cutthroat. I don't see the NRL being that much of a step up and coming from Leeds, the Warriors is probably a step down if anything.

If Leeds played the Warriors tomorrow, the result would probably depend on which side Bluey was coaching.

Northern_Union

He must be pretty flukey if he's had that much success without any technical coaching ability.

As for coaching entire seasons, he's just completed 3 in a row at Leeds, including Challenge cup rounds that make the season a month longer, winning titles in 2 of them and making the semis last year. Sure the NRL is more intense but for a coach, the ESL is far more cutthroat. I don't see the NRL being that much of a step up and coming from Leeds, the Warriors is probably a step down if anything.

If Leeds played the Warriors tomorrow, the result would probably depend on which side Bluey was coaching.

This.

mrblonde_old

Question about Bluey....

Why do we bring up how he did with the Kiwis, as good as it was?

Surely once you get players picked to play at inernational level, there's nowhere near as much development work, in fact there should hardly be any except when moving players from Position A to Position B - and event there surely you'd think the player would already have some kind of clue. All the hard work's been done by the various players' coaches etc.

Not to bag Bluey because I agree he'd be a great Warriors coach, but apart form a pure "Numbers on the board" argument, I don't see why an ability - or indeed an inability ala Kemble - to lead a winning international team (and I'm not just talking league, I'm talking all sports) means a national coach will be a good club coach? I mean, Sir Alex Ferguson aka Red Nose has an amazing record as Manchester United coach, but I don't see his name ever come up for national coach for Scotland/England/whoever...

I just worry that some of the public views on the next Warriors coach is "Get him, cos he's a lovable bloke..." and that the pubic - um, should be an "l" in there - reaction if the Warriors ultimately don't sign Bluey will be "but Iro/whoever isn't as nice".

I never gave two doggie doos about Cleary's public persona or lack thereof and I'm the same about Bluey - I don't care how high he can jump in the coach's box, how loud he can shout, etc. I just want to win.

Wairangi Koopu mentioned Big Mal. For all the good he's done with Queensland, as I recall he didn't have a great time as Raiders coach so I remain very much to be convinced that'd be a good move.

But if I was Warriors coach (tremble and be afraid): The lack of ability in the 20m zone. I agree this is a weakness, but it seems to me it's something we've never been good at so we never will be good at. So if I was coach, I'd look to improve that part of our game - ie give the team a couple of clues so we at least get scores from 20m occassionally, but if scoring tries from long range is what we do, I'd be really focussing on that and all the plays, structures and tactics that lead to that being done successfully on a more regular basis than current. Why spend 80% time for a 10% - 20% at best - improvment?

Viking_old

I agree with you. Success with the Kiwis alone wouldn't be enough. Kearney has done great things with the Kiwis and nothing of note at club level so far so the same questions that are being raised about McClennan should logically apply to Kearney. That would be hard on Kearney as he doesn't have much to work with. What's more important to me is someone who brings a winning culture with them. Kearney has some from his time as a premiership winner and his last three years with the Kiwis. McClennan has known nothing but winning so my only question is how he would cope if things go bad in his first year. We won't find out if we don't hire him.

I remember arguing with someone here in 09, that the the best players from the U20s should be left in the NYC team to ensure that they win the championship that year. Everyone else believed that those good enough should be thrown into our suffering 1st grade squad to reinvigorate the team even though they no hope of making the finals. I believed that the winning culture that's been sorely missing from the Warriors could best be kickstarted with the NYC. Those that graduated to 1st grade should bring some of those winning ways with them. It's a long term view but the self belief that last years graduates have makes them better candidates for promotion than the older boys who have been languishing in an underperforming Vulcans side from the last 2 years even though physically, those Vulcans players are superior to last years crop. Winning is a habit.

Last edited by a moderator:

scree_old

Steve Price is still in NZ and has some sort of part with the Warriors.

I heard about this through the Warriors Facebook page when I was up in Auckland for a weekend. I watched a game at Sky City a while ago, Steve Price was ther with a guy from Radio Sport. They spoke to the crowd before the game, at half time and afterwards. Steve offered his take on how the team was going, etc - I liked his opinions they were very honest. There were giveaways and Sky City girls and all sorts, Hah. Would go again if the opportunity was there.

RRG_old

Sure the NRL is more intense but for a coach, the ESL is far more cutthroat. I don't see the NRL being that much of a step up and coming from Leeds, the Warriors is probably a step down if anything

I see it as much tougher to coach in the NRL then in the ESL. Look at comparitive win % of the likes of
Brian Smith
Frank Endacott
Daniel Anderson
Nathan Brown
John Monie

All far higher win % in ESL then NRL.

I am not saying this means that Bluey is not a good coach, just that I don't think ESL success always transfers to NRL success

Viking_old

I see it as much tougher to coach in the NRL then in the ESL. Look at comparitive win % of the likes of
Brian Smith
Frank Endacott
Daniel Anderson
Nathan Brown
John Monie

All far higher win % in ESL then NRL.

I am not saying this means that Bluey is not a good coach, just that I don't think ESL success always transfers to NRL success

By cutthroat I mean the ESL clubs are less forgiving of prolonged underacheiving coaches compared to NRL but that may well be because the NRL clubs understand that their competition is a grind and give their coaches longer to get it right.

It also depends on what clubs the coaches you've named, went to and the players they had at their disposal. In the case of John Monie, there's a big difference between coaching a successfull outfit like Wigan and trying to get the only NRL team in new country off the ground in their first year. Monie also won the grand final coaching the Eels before Wigan so the Warriors must've really put a dent in his win\loss ratio.

Moz_old

well said mate, am curious as to what these assumptions are based on, McClennan only being a motivator, Iro being a good tactician, is there a credible source for this info that is readily available or is it heresay?